In this Discussion

Olympic Mania

Comments

• QUOTE (katieyellow @ Aug 13 2008, 09:28 AM)
    And what Michael Phelps' mom and sisters said on their interview w/ Matt Lauer and Meredith Viera the other day, was that Michael hadn't even talked about his possible 8 gold medals and breaking Mark Spitz's record... the press did that for him. That he wanted to come to Beijing, swim his absolute best, and to have fun. They were interviewing him and his other 800m relay teammates (Loechte is pretty cute...btw) yesterday and he was speechless thinking about being A. THe most decorated American and B. Being 3 medals away from having the most gold. That he hadn't thought about it before (at least publically) and this was the first he spoke about it... I just adore him... I think he's wonderful, humble AND confident. He and Shawn Johnson (gymnastics) are for me, the faces of the US Olympic team.

Right. I noticed that about him, too - when the team was being interviewed right after the 4x100 relay, the reporter did the, "Who's talking now?!" thing and the younger kid (dunno' what his name was, not Lezac or Jones, the other one) was like, "WE ARE!" It was like night and day when Phelps began to talk, because he did the graceful, "We did our very best and we're really glad that we won" sort of thing, which I thought was extremely well-done.

QUOTE (MyFavoritePerson @ Aug 13 2008, 10:42 AM)
    Haha, yes, sadly we are aware. When one of my friends went to France, she told people she was Canadian so they would be nicer to her.

Ha! I didn't notice THAT much anti-American sentiment or discrimination while I was living there, but then again, I was clearly making efforts to speak the language and fit in with the culture. It was funny, because whenever I spoke to people, they could tell that I was an Anglophone, but because I don't have the stereotypical "American trying to speak French" accent, I was always asked, "Are you English?"
  • Phelps is now the most decorated Olympian in history. In. History.
    He's my hero!
    And he's so, siiigh, siiigh, so amazing and wonderful and modest and humble and determined and incredible and beautiful.
    I love him so muuuuuuch! But of course, the entire country is in love with him too- men included, hahaha.
    I've always been a gushy fangirl, but if he were here visiting Boston, I'd turn into a pathetic groupie sort of person.

And that story of how his mother and sister and he were all crying when he first got a gold, and how they still all cry to think of it! They're so lovely!
    wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
  • wow, China was amazing in the synchronized diving. I still don't get the point of synchronized diving. But here's why they always shower immediately afterward:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/b...?urn=oly,100472
  • China is amazing in everything! There's no way we're going to catch up to them in number of golds. congrats, china! you're awesome!

About this whole age controversy:
    1) sour grapes. the Americans should suck it up and stop with the whining. that the coach Karoli called the chinese "babies" and "half people" really shows a sore loser- and sounds not only insulting but racist.
    2) chinese girls look young. gymnasts look young. chinese gymnasts look even younger. so what's the shocker?
    People always think I'm younger than I am; I'm usually pegged at 16, but have been guessed to be 14. For chinese girls, that sort of thing is common.
    3) If a 13 year old wants to compete, let her. If you have trouble competing against her, that just shows how bad you are, that you are losing to a kid. Yeah, her body, by being younger, might be more supple, but that doesn't mean every 13 year old can do gymnastics or that she has the years of training that you do. If your biggest problem is your age, you're in the wrong sport.

they won fair and square and it's sooo irritating that the American team is whining. And the coach was like, "one of them is a missing a tooth! i SAW IT!" I lost my last baby tooth when I was 17. Sheesh, if you didn't win, suck it up- it's your own fault you weren't as good as your rival.

And btw, Karoli once had a 14 year old win a gold several years ago- and she was fine with it at the time.
  • BOOM take that serbia

you just got Phelped right in the arse

come on GB, come on becky, get your 2nd gold of the games, ive stayed up till 3am for you!
  • dear world

Becky Adlington, just raped you

sorry about that...

bring on the cycling, we are the kings of cycling, already got a gold in it
  • Canada won a medal! ye ye!
  • CONGRATULATIONS PHELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SO PROUD TO HAVE YOU REPRESENT US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU DID IT ALL!!!!!!
    ALL THAT COULD BE IMAGINED, YOU DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 16 2008, 09:52 PM)
    CONGRATULATIONS PHELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU DID IT ALL!!!!!!

Bah! You spoiled it for me! The men's swimming is only starting right now. Well, I don't blame you. I blame stupid time zones.
  • TeamGB is 3rd best in the world

which is rather amazing
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Aug 17 2008, 01:06 AM)
    Bah! You spoiled it for me! The men's swimming is only starting right now. Well, I don't blame you. I blame stupid time zones.

oops! sorry! sad.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 16 2008, 11:52 PM)
    CONGRATULATIONS PHELPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YOU DID IT ALL!!!!!!

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

my whole family was all hyped up last night watching that
    im happy for him
    hes freakin AMAZING
    and the u.s teammates helped a lot too they are SAH-WEEEEET

EDIT:
    is that a tattoo?
  • QUOTE (xxhot-shot-sugarxx @ Aug 17 2008, 02:58 PM)
    EDIT:
    is that a tattoo?

Why yes, yes it is wink.gif I noticed it the last go-round... sometimes he wears suits where you can almost see the entire thing. I love it.

And wow. I just love this guy. He's so... wonderful! I've loved all the interviews they've been doing with him smile.gif my sister totally already ordered his dvd...
  • haha sweet
    that just makes him even more awesome and hot lol

yeah im thinking of doing the same

wooo go nastia luikin (sp?) and shawn johnson!! even though the romanian girl got ahead of you.
  • All of this Olympic Mania caused my friend Stacey to email me this morning and say "So... ya wanna go to London for 2012? Should we start saving?" As if I don't have a perpetual London fund.
  • my mom, sister and I kinda unofficially decided to go. it's too amazing of an opportunity to pass up. i want to see michael in the flesh. and i want to go to London. durrrrrr
  • Hurray for London and Hurray for England. Seesh, next time's Summer Olympics will be crazy. How will London have room for such an event?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...r-Olympics.html
  • i might boycott the london olympics. the logo is terrible.
  • I saw this on TV and I seriously lol'ed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R228MSqhm8
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 25 2008, 08:15 PM)
    I saw this on TV and I seriously lol'ed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R228MSqhm8

Ha ha, funny but unconvincing. It's a commercial for learning a foreign language and I don't hear him speak a foreign language once on this commercial. Still, the Phelps is a cutie.