In this Discussion

Dance Through Your City

Comments

• Wow, that looks really awesome!

I think you should submit both, the original and the cleaned up version. Though I do think that if you take the route faster, you'll end up with something like I made. I think the faster you go, the more it arcs. Even a straight line going fast will give you an arc.

I'm so excited to see what they end up doing with everyone's submissions.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Bump.

So, Damian's been talking to fuse.tv about this little project. Check it: Fuse Noise.

Also, they tweeted that you can now tag your pics with #okgogps. I'm assumin' they mean on Flickr as that's what they normally use for this sort of thing. You can still upload them here of course.

Anyone else had a chance to make some geo-art?

ETA: I put together the pics I took during my "dance" and added some info on some of the places. You can see it in this flickr set: Hello Chicago.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Becky, thanks for posting that video.  The Script AND OK Go in one video?  LOVE.

I really want to do a GPS drawing, but I'm having a hard time A) figuring out what to draw and B) planning a route.

• Do it, Rachel! It's really fun. I did another, "joy"  that you can see here. The thing I liked about doing this one was that the stroke of the "Y" was actually me travelling down Joy St. in Boston. It was empowering, like scrawling huge bright grafitti across the landscape. It doesn't need to be a word though—Becky's flower turned out great. I've been thinking that a constellation might be fun to try, just because the way the program renders things looks a bit like stars in a night sky. If you pause the program and then walk a distance (even up a different block) then "resume," the program will draw a straight line between the two points. You can get diagonal lines that way.
  • OK PemiBlue, You've got me on board.  The Diagonal lines idea is what clinched it for me.  I've got a GOOD one too.
  • Adam is conked out, Ginny is exhausted, and I am eating chocolate cake for dinner, but look!  We accomplished it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39689127@N00/sets/72157625758159837/

If you can't tell, it's a treble clef.

And if that isn't awesome enough for you, MATH WIN!  23!!!

• DJRose said:

Adam is conked out, Ginny is exhausted, and I am eating chocolate cake for dinner, but look!  We accomplished it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3.....758159837/

If you can't tell, it's a treble clef.

And if that isn't awesome enough for you, MATH WIN!  23!!!

I could totally tell! The page hadn't scrolled down all the way, but I could see most of your image and I said, "OH! Pretty, Sparkly, Treble Clef!"

I love it! Smile

• Rach, that came out superb! Loved the pics of Adam and Ginny mixed in. Poor Ginny not wanting to walk the whole way :(

And the only thing I missed from my journey was taking a picture of myself. Oh well.

Alright kids, who else danced through their city?

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Yay! Rachel, it's awesome! Like Christel said, that is absolutely a pretty sparkly treble clef. The pictures are great too. The look on Ginny's face suggests: "Listen, people, I'm a dog, that's spelled d-o-g not d-o-p-e. We are CLEARLY walking in circles here. And I smell no squirrel, I see no tree. Ridiculous! If your going to continue with these shennanigans, y'all are definitely going to have to carry me!" I love that you got pictures of the Opera House and art school along the way. It's great to see glimpses of other cities along these routes. I really liked seeing Becky's photos of Chicago as well. Looking forward to seeing some other routes!  :-)
  • PemiBlue said:Yay! Rachel, it's awesome! Like Christel said, that is absolutely a pretty sparkly treble clef. The pictures are great too. The look on Ginny's face suggests: "Listen, people, I'm a dog, that's spelled d-o-g not d-o-p-e. We are CLEARLY walking in circles here. And I smell no squirrel, I see no tree. Ridiculous! If your going to continue with these shennanigans, y'all are definitely going to have to carry me!" I love that you got pictures of the Opera House and art school along the way. It's great to see glimpses of other cities along these routes. I really liked seeing Becky's photos of Chicago as well. Looking forward to seeing some other routes!  :-)

HA!  Thank you very much for all your tips, PemiBlue!  It definitely made a difference, I think. Adam and I got a good laugh out of your Ginny dialogue.  She's a little dog, and even though she likes long walks outside her usual route, this ended up being a bit much for her.  As soon as we got home she felt the need to prove her alpha status over our long-suffering cat, Luna. 

And thanks, Becky and Christel!

• These all look awesome! Laugh Very inspiring and it all makes me want to make one, too. Unfortunately, I can't due to where I live- I'm in the middle of a forest and I'm sure that'd make it pretty much impossible. But I love everyone's drawings! 
  • Wow everyone's pictures look awesome! I really want to do it with a friend of mine, before time runs out, but we're noobs. Utterly confused on how it works XD

EDIT: It seems as though the deadline was yesterday. Oh well :( But it'll be great to see what everyone else did! I'm super excited.

• Don't give up on doing a piece of gps-art, Dunkgreener! I'm not certain, but I don't think the deadline has passed. I'm curious to know where you saw a deadline posted–because if what you saw was the 12/24 deadline from their press release that I posted earlier in this thread, that definitely changed. There have been calls for submissions as recently as Jan 13th (or the 18th, if you count Damian's mention of the project on Fuse).

In terms of how to do one, there are directions and a link to the app here. It was really helpful for me to look at Becky's posts as well. If she had not done her "dance" early on, and answered questions, and periodically bumped this thread, I would not have gone out and tried one. Many thanks to Becky!

I wish the folks at Paracadute would clarify the deadline, actually.

For myself, I'm thinking: keep making gps-art till they tell us to stop…

• Wow, thanks for the heads up! I may have to do one then.. :D I'll try to figure out how the whole thing works. Shouldn't be too hard. And yeah hopefully they'll post a date soon. It's pretty vague at the moment.
  • I'm sad. I wanted to make another piece of geo-art, but the damn app doesn't work anymore. At least, not on my Droid. I've uninstalled and re-installed, no dice. I had an idea to make some ivy/vines (can you say Wrigley Field?), but it won't email me the gps map. I've tried a few different email addresses to see if that was the issue, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Ever since the update, it hasn't worked properly :( 

So, now I'm sad. I suppose I should be happy that I was able to make the Downtown Flower jelly fish.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • That is sad, Becky! I would have liked to see an ivy path to go with Wrigley Field. There's one more thing you could check (and maybe you've already tried this). Besides the image that gets emailed to you, there's also another view that gets posted to the helloevoque site. If you register/log in with the same email you used in the app, there's a drop down menu for "my journeys." Even if your path isn't getting emailed to you, maybe it's still getting posted to the site. When I logged in, all of my past journeys were there.

The version on the site is a different view--not as pretty, really, but having the advantage that the route is emphasized over the background, which can be a plus for legibility. Another thing about this view is that traces the route as you walked it, as an animation. And you can get/share the link. I'm surprised they aren't asking us for these links actually, as the paths are animated and would lend themselves to video.

Anyway, your downtown flower is still lovely! It reminds me of the flowers on the first album.

• Thanks for the heads-up on that. I hadn't thought of that and now I feel sorry for anyone who had to see them as I made quite a few trying to figure out why it wasn't working anymore.

So, I decided to go there and see what mischief I made and then saw this!

I see Rachel's and PemiBlue's geo-art. And then there's my route and my geo-art. And I'm pretty sure that that is Reina under Rach's treble clef. Talk about a great surprise!

Click here for the original size screen grab and click here for the gallery. So awesome!

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I was trying to submit my video for the past three days, and each time I try, the evoque submit form refuses to accept it. Not as in the file format, but it seriously won't leave the "submit" page. There's nothing telling me I can't submit, but it just. refuses. to. load. 

It's driving me insane! I really wanted to get my video in the final thing, and I spent two whole weekends filming/editing. I don't want to be left out because of some stupid glitch- I've already posted on the FB page because they're really good at answering my questions there, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem.
  • Aleatory, that is so great that you did a video!!! :-)

I did not have the same problem (probably because I was uploading a jpeg not a whole video), but I saw on the OK Go facebook page that another person who tried to post a video had the same problem, so it's not just your computer. If someone answers the question you posted via facebook, do please post the solution here, as others might run into the same issue.

Meanwhile, here's one possible solution… on the upload page at helloevoque, they give you the option of sending things by email to okgo@helloevoque.com (I used that method to send a big file of photos and I got an autoreply that it had been received). Your video is probably too large to send by email, but you could use sendspace to post the video, and then email them the link.

I'm quoting Becky here from the White Knuckles video thread:

If your file is too big to send via email, but smaller than 300MB, you can use sendspace. Go here: http://www.sendspace.com/. Upload your vid. Copy the link and then email that.

Good luck with the submission!

Edit: Just testing... and... I'm editing a past post. This is HUGE!!!
  • PemiBlue!!!

I can't get to my PM in my in-box! I don't know if you replied back to my reply. Not ignoring you, rather having technical difficulties! Email is - salt364 at juno dot com- if you need.