In this Discussion

Dance Through Your City

Comments

• Amber!!!

You are awesome! I just sent you an email.

I was waiting to post on this thread so that you could edit if you wanted, but I've just discovered something...

Since the update, we can EDIT PAST POSTS!!!

Try it… it actually works… there's still an "edit" button even after another post has been added to the thread.

OK, it doesn't seem to work retroactively to posts before the board update, but it looks as though, from here on out, posts don't get frozen unto eternity when the next person posts.

WAHOO!!!

Plus the math is 23…

Like magic, I tell ya.
  • They tweeted and FB'd an end date:

Make your own photo/video journey this weekend (like Becky did: ). Submit by Wed 2/16:

Hop to it kids, you have 5 days!
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Haha, I got excited for you when I saw that.  xD

Just so ya know.
  • beckysioux said:

They tweeted and FB'd an end date:

Make your own photo/video journey this weekend (like Becky did: ). Submit by Wed 2/16:

Becky, this is totally awesome! Yay, Downtown Flower going out on all channels...

And it's great news that they're still asking for submissions. Another chance to participate, people! I'm still new to the boards, so I can't speak with a lot of authority. But this much is clear, even to me:

OK GO WANTS TO WORK WITH **YOU** ON THEIR NEXT VIDEO!!!

Those are some sweet words. Go ahead, dwell on that a sec... Damian, Tim, Andy, and Dan are asking for YOUR creative input. It's an awesome and generous offer... How many bands do you know that would 1) come up with an inspired project like this and 2) ask their fans to participate? Yeah, not that many.

So... was anyone able to take/record a journey today?

If so, GREAT! If not, do you have a journey planned? Or, are there things making it tough for you to participate? Is it lack of an iphone or droid? Are you having any trouble with the software?

This is not confirmed, but I strongly suspect that OK Go would be glad
    of any and all kinds of journey photos or videos, whether or not a pulse
    geo-drawing is involved.

Please discusss... what's going on, good or bad? If you don't want to post here, feel free to PM Amber (VioletChaos 364) or me (PemiBlue). Or email one of us—Amber's email is above, I'm pemiblue at gmail dot com. Maybe we can do something to help.

It would be wonderful if there were lots of boardie participation in the project. But beyond that, it would just be helpful to hear people's take on the whole thing. So, thanks in advance for any and all comments!
  • Totalgeek42 said:

Haha, I got excited for you when I saw that.  xD

Just so ya know.

Thanks! It's still the most amazing feeling to see my name uttered by OK Go.

PemiBlue said:

Becky, this is totally awesome! Yay, Downtown Flower going out on all channels...

And it's great news that they're still asking for submissions. Another chance to participate, people! I'm still new to the boards, so I can't speak with a lot of authority. But this much is clear, even to me:

OK GO WANTS TO WORK WITH **YOU** ON THEIR NEXT VIDEO!!!

Thanks!

And yes, if you haven't yet made or submitted something, please do. You now have 4 days to complete this task. It's so easy to do. Really.

And you can add me to the list of people who want to help. Just ask.

Good luck!
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:

Got excited when I saw that too! And yours looks so cool, I wish I could be a part of that. Don't own an iPhone though :/ noot even a smart phone (if that was the case)

but well, congrats to you then!! yaaay Becky does it agaaain :)
  •  

PemiBlue said:

Aleatory, that is so great that you did a video!!! :-)

I did not have the same problem (probably because I was uploading a jpeg not a whole video), but I saw on the OK Go facebook page that another person who tried to post a video had the same problem, so it's not just your computer. If someone answers the question you posted via facebook, do please post the solution here, as others might run into the same issue.

Meanwhile, here's one possible solution… on the http://www.helloevoque.com/okgo/form
  • Aleatory, that is NOT terrible, it's GREAT! Laugh

You guys walking & playing, the bright guitar and your friend's bari uke (that's what it is, right?), the portland highlights, the theater, the backwards dancing, all awesome! Colorful and adorable. I bet that's exactly the kind of stuff that would be super useful to them. Nice job!!!
  • laeticia said:

beckysioux said:

Got excited when I saw that too! And yours looks so cool, I wish I could be a part of that. Don't own an iPhone though :/ noot even a smart phone (if that was the case)

Hey Laeticia! If you want to participate, I'd say, don't let the lack of the software hold you back. Draw a shape on the map, grab a friend and a video camera, and just get out there and dance it. Or just throw on something bright, go out and film yourselves interacting with your town. The band may not officially be able to say that they'd like video without a pulse map. But footage from an enthusiastic fan, dancing in Brazil? How could that not be a bonus? You came up with great stuff for the New Year's video, I bet you'd contribute something great here too. Laugh
  • PemiBlue said:

laeticia said:

beckysioux said:

Hey Laeticia! If you want to participate, I'd say, don't let the lack of the software hold you back. Draw a shape on the map, grab a friend and a video camera, and just get out there and dance it. Or just throw on something bright, go out and film yourselves interacting with your town. The band may not officially be able to say that they'd like video without a pulse map. But footage from an enthusiastic fan, dancing in Brazil? How could that not be a bonus? You came up with great stuff for the New Year's video, I bet you'd contribute something great here too. Laugh

thanks so much!!!! Well, I'd love to do that, but I don't actually have any friends to help me with that. the one that would be willing to do it have to work all day, and work all morning so yeah :/ It would totally work if you had pinched that idea to me like, last week though. Oh wellz.

Cool beans. hahaha
  • Oh well! Yeah, with video especially, I can see how it could really help to have a second person along. Sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot! I've been thinking about this for a while, and only recently started getting the picture that lack of the phone and software might be holding people up. Now, I myself don't have a video camera, so I was psyched to think that others could contribute on that side. Laugh
  • Today is the last day to submit your geo-art. Remember, you can upload to Flickr and YouTube, just be sure to tag it with #okgogps.

Instructions on the how-to are in the first entry in this thread and there are tips and tricks through out this thread. Good luck and I hope you submit something!
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Awesome geo-art, guys!

I waited until the last possible moment, but I made one, too.  It's pretty simple and it's a good thing because the app crashed on me TWICE just as I finished the route!

Here's the link: HI from Fort Lauderdale

HI from Fort Lauderdale - Large
  • Excellent work, Debbie! It looked like Kennedy was having fun helping out.

So, yesterday was the last day to get everything submitted. Now, all the questions begin.

How many people participated? Where did people participate? What was the farthest destination? What footage/photos will be used? What song are they going to use? Did the boys make any personal geo-art?

And most importantly, when will we see the finished product?
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:

Excellent work, Debbie! It looked like Kennedy was having fun helping out.

So, yesterday was the last day to get everything submitted. Now, all the questions begin.

How many people participated? Where did people participate? What was the farthest destination? What footage/photos will be used? What song are they going to use? Did the boys make any personal geo-art?

And most importantly, when will we see the finished product?

Thanks Becky!

Kennedy was pretty much over it by the third time we walked the entire route.  I made it up to him with a nice lunch and some beach time.

Good questions.  I was surprised that there weren't more submissions on Flickr.  I hope that more people participated. 
  • Snack_Cakes said:

I waited until the last possible moment, but I made one, too.

Snacks,

I thought your addition to the project was really great…I felt like I was basking in the Florida sun for a while there.

I thought about doing one here on my little back road, but the best I could come up with was an exclamation point with lots of big redwoods along the way. Sadly, no GPS here…the trees block the signal Embarassed Not even a cell phone signal. Is that a blessing or a curse? Cool

--- Jim ---
  • DancesWithDingo said:

Snack_Cakes said:

I waited until the last possible moment, but I made one, too.

Snacks,

I thought your addition to the project was really great…I felt like I was basking in the Florida sun for a while there.

I thought about doing one here on my little back road, but the best I could come up with was an exclamation point with lots of big redwoods along the way. Sadly, no GPS here…the trees block the signal Embarassed Not even a cell phone signal. Is that a blessing or a curse? Cool

--- Jim ---

Thank you, Jim!

I regret not planning out a more elaborate
    "drawing" like the other submissions. Mine is a bit embarrassing by
    comparison.  But I'm happy that I got it done, especially since I
    missed out on the White Knuckles Boardie collaboration (procrastination struck again).

I'm sorry that you weren't able to make one, too. It must be beautiful out there and quite peaceful, especially without a cell phone signal.Laugh
  • Snack_Cakes, I also thought your set looked great. Everything went together so well, including the greeting—like a lovely set of postcards. The bright colors you found to include in the photos seemed very much in the spirit of the suits, the confetti, and of the Parade video. An infusion of warmth, where many of the other photos were by necessity taken in cold climes. Plus personally, I was relieved to see another set with a word. I wrote a word, and was getting a little nervous that it would be the only one, and stand out... in a bad way... So thanks, all round!
  • Snack_Cakes said:

I'm sorry that you weren't able to make one, too. It must be beautiful out there and quite peaceful, especially without a cell phone signal.Laugh

Thanks...it is all of the above. I feel lucky. And I don't miss cell service. But it is two hours driving to get anywhere with a big box store, and three-plus hours away from the nearest man-made skyscraper (plenty of natural ones though).

Regarding the Dance Parade project, I'm not calling this one finished yet. As I remember, the original project was larger in scope...they were tying the Range Rover Evoque GPS system and software to a worldwide dance party. The main parade is likely the anchor, but they're going to want to include as much video/images from around the globe as they can in the finished product. It's like each individual parade was a multi-dimensional work of art both by experiencing/recording the event on the ground with all the local color, and by using the GPS technology to create the overhead view. Then there's the "this is spontaneously happening all around the world" layer. I'm starting to figure out how these guys' collective artistic mind works...they really like working in multiple artistic dimensions. And I'm all for it.

Damian is probably a huge M.C. Escher fan!
  • PemiBlue said:

Snack_Cakes, I also thought your set looked great. Everything went together so well, including the greeting—like a lovely set of postcards. The bright colors you found to include in the photos seemed very much in the spirit of the suits, the confetti, and of the Parade video. An infusion of warmth, where many of the other photos were by necessity taken in cold climes. Plus personally, I was relieved to see another set with a word. I wrote a word, and was getting a little nervous that it would be the only one, and stand out… in a bad way… So thanks, all round!

PemiBlue,

Thank you for the compliment!  I can't take credit for the bright colors, they just happened to be there. 

I thought your photos of wintery Boston were beautiful, particularly with the sunset.  And your "peace" geo-drawing does stand out, but in a good way! You put a lot of (leg)work into creating it and it turned out amazing!  It seriously puts my simple "HI" to shame.

I also love the others that you made.  Shooting the Moon was a fantastic theme. Very well done!

DancesWithDingos said:

But it is two hours driving to get anywhere with a big box store, and three-plus hours away from the nearest man-made skyscraper (plenty of natural ones though).

Regarding the Dance Parade project, I'm not calling this one finished yet. As I remember, the original project was larger in scope…they were tying the Range Rover Evoque GPS system and software to a worldwide dance party. The main parade is likely the anchor, but they're going to want to include as much video/images from around the globe as they can in the finished product. It's like each individual parade was a multi-dimensional work of art both by experiencing/recording the event on the ground with all the local color, and by using the GPS technology to create the overhead view. Then there's the "this is spontaneously happening all around the world" layer. 

Jim,

That two hour drive to stores would get to me.  Yeah, I like to shop.Laugh

I love your thoughts on the project.  Once again, the boys seem to be doing something completely innovative and awesome.  I'm excited to see how it will all turn out.