In this Discussion

Bands You May Not Know, But Should...

Comments

• QUOTE (heaventonight @ Mar 7 2005, 01:53 AM)
    SAI!!!!!!!!!! I need some recommendations for SXSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you have for me?

LORI!!
    I've heard a song by Louis XIV, but I haven't had a chance to actually check em out yet... but they played with Hot Hot Heat here apparently, which I unfortunately missed, but I heard they were amazing.

So if I were going to SXSW, I would most want definitely see these bands.. I know they're not all possible cause of time conflicts, but...
    march 16th:
    Ladytron, Hella, Sleater-Kinney, The Thermals, Tristeza (ex-dismemberment plan people in it), Dolorean, Enon, Les Georges Leningrad (very weird live, but entertaining nonetheless), Murder by Death, Jason Falkner (you mussstttt go see him. seriously. and he plays an hour before the redwalls at the same place, so 2 for 1),

march 17th:
    The Paper Chase (they're soo dark, but i'm mildly obsessed with them. there's just something about them that is awesome, and I can't put my finger on it), Earlimart, The Natural history, Chinese Stars, Subset (also a relatively new obsession, really catchy), Teagan and Sara, The Honorary Title (although they are coming to Chicago on april 8th with Minus the Bear, too), The Dears, Doves, HHH, Kaiser Chiefs, Louis XIV, THe Futureheads (these last 5 are all playing one after another at the same place, so that's convenient!), calla, VHS or Beta (so funnn), Death From Above 1979 (for sure. like it's mandatory that you see them!!), Mahjonng (they're from chicago)

March 18th:
    The Go! Team, Pelican, The Aqua Bats, Ash, Of Montreal, Saturday Looks Good To Me, Spoon (definitely a must), Rainer Maria, Pedro the Lion, Bloc Party (YOU HAVE TO SEE THEM!!!!! oh my gosh. i would die to see them but when they come here it's 18+ unfortunately. they're so amazing! and they're playing with fischerspooner and Louis XIV at the same place on the 18th, too), Head of Femur, Mommy and Daddy (i'm verrryy obsessed with this band, too, and I would highly recommend listening to them on their site www.mommyanddaddy.com cause I think you'll like it.), mewithoutYou

March 19th:
    bumblebeez81, cut copy, wolf mother, man man (okay.. these 4 are a mussstttt!! they're all at the same place and especialyl cut copy. i listen to this cd like it's oxygen. it's crazyyyy addictive and just absolutely amazing. you haveeee to see them! they never tour in the U.S. and they're going straight back to australia after this, definitely go!), the flesh (reminds me of VHS or Beta), idlewild, the music

and there wasn't really anything on the 20th that was noteworthy.... that I saw.

I hope that helps!!!
  • GO SEE THE DEARS AT SXSW. I just heard of them. Theyre amazing.
  • Miss SAIBA!!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

Yeah, I missed Louis XIV when they opened for Hot Hot Heat. sad.gif So, I'll just be stalking them at SXSW! I ,also, heard that they were awesome.

I know and love some of the bands you have suggested and already have some of them on my list!!!

OK, So, I'll make sure to see Jason Faulkner since I'm pretty sure I'll be at that Redwalls show! And The Redwalls are playing with the Doves at a party, so I can try to see them there.

Death from Above 1979 are on my must list!!! I love them because of YOU! smile.gif

Saturday Looks Good to Me are also on my list. I missed them when they played Schubas a few months ago.

Mommy and Daddy are on my list since you've been obsessed with them for months now!

And cut copy I don't know , but I'm gonna check them out on your very strong recommendation!

The Kaiser Chiefs and The Futureheads I'd love to see, but I think these two bands are going to be "buzz" bands this year and I'll bet there will be a lot of people trying to see them.

And if Bloc Party is a must I will try to see them!

I'm going look over you're list more carefully when I have more time, but I have to go to bed now!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! smile.gif FOR YOUR LIST!!!! I appreciate you taking the time to do this!!!!

I will try to post things about what I see daily, but if that doesn't work out I will write about everything when I return!

Sai, one of these days I hope we'll be meeting at SXSW to see bands together!!!! smile.gif That would be AWESOME!!!

SAI, THANK YOU SO MUCH, AGAIN I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TASTE. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR PICKS !!!

Talk to you soon! XOXO, lori
  • Troubled Hubble

Albatross.mp3

Get Lost.mp3

Nancy.mp3

Theyre from Batavia, IL and are quite possibly the best college indie group ive ever seen/heard live. They just got signed to Lookout Records too!!! www.troubledhubble.com
  • Mull Historical Society aka Colin Macintyre
    Don't be put off by the name, this guy is amazing.
  • #$@*#)$(*!!!!!!!!!!
    PATRICK WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!

He's SO brilliant and I am OBSESSEDDDDD!!!!
    www.patrickwolf.com
    and if you want the best song ever by him, i have it on mp3 thanks to a very generous kid, and I will send it to you just im me. it's seriously the most addictive song I have ever heard it's so brilliant. it's called "tristan"
  • QUOTE (minia @ Mar 14 2005, 05:47 PM)
    #$@*#)$(*!!!!!!!!!!
    PATRICK WOLF!!!!!!!!!!!

He's SO brilliant and I am OBSESSEDDDDD!!!!
    www.patrickwolf.com
    and if you want the best song ever by him, i have it on mp3 thanks to a very generous kid, and I will send it to you just im me. it's seriously the most addictive song I have ever heard it's so brilliant. it's called "tristan"

dude! another person interested in patrick wolf... i'm happy (i mentioned him on the last page, if you didn't see tongue.gif ). some of his songs i really really like, some i'm kind of meh about, but overall i do concur that he is brilliant. tristan is alright, but i'm personally in love w/ wolf song and the libertine. biggrin.gif

have you heard lycanthropy (the song specifically, not the album)? it's very very... strange. give it a listen. it is so weird. laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (RiverSylphide @ Mar 14 2005, 06:53 PM)
    dude!  another person interested in patrick wolf... i'm happy (i mentioned him on the last page, if you didn't see  tongue.gif ).  some of his songs i really really like, some i'm kind of meh about, but overall i do concur that he is brilliant.  tristan is alright, but i'm personally in love w/ wolf song and the libertine.  biggrin.gif

have you heard lycanthropy (the song specifically, not the album)?  it's very very... strange.  give it a listen.  it is so weird.  laugh.gif

i have! it is, i agree, my friend keeps sending me all his stuff so i just went out today and bought his latest album. which is my best cd purchase of the year so far.

sorry, i didn't see your post before ! :-\ but wonderful recommendation nonetheless.
  • Sleep Station. Good concept albums are hard to come by. Plus, you can download their EP for FREE (things are best when they're free).

Link: Von Cosel
  • Tom Vek- saw him at sxsw. he was ace.

Devotchka- wanted to see them at sxsw (but it was 21+). eastern european folk rock. sort of. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Mar 7 2005, 10:40 PM)
    KEANE ARE SHIIIIIIITE hahaha sorry, just read keane and had to post about my HATRED for them....

they're sooooooooooooo boring, my boyfriend fell asleep to them at V.

Haha, Jen, I think we're twin. Last summer I happened to see Keane because my dearest ASH was playing after them. I was so bored with Keane's show, but it was only me, people around me were really into them. However, it was fun to see the man on the piano, he looked like crazy. (Sorry, I don't mean to offend Keane or their fans)

Sai - SUPERCAR, you mean one of the coolest band in Japan? Unfortunately, they just broke up.

Btw, my current favourite is U.S.E., silly happy dance music.
  • Damn, i dont have all of the indie hookups you guys have, here are mine, not all of them are unknown, but either way they kick ass.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Do they need an introduction? I just read Anthony Kiedis' autoboigraphy, and i have since been listening to them again non stop.
    Album Reccomendations- Californication, Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Electric Six- Possibly the greatest find ever. Thier album, Fire, is one of the best I have listened to in a long while, not overproduced, not sloppy, every song being a complete blowaway. Good if you like Modest Mouse. Thier new album, Senor Smoke, is out in the UK, and I am seriously contemplating buying an imported copy from amazon for thirty bucks. Ech!
    Album Reccomendation- Fire

Cake- Again, not the most unknown, but thier funk-ish rock put them in thier own music category.
    Album Reccomendations- Motorcade of Generosity, Pressure Chief

Beck- Awesome marriage of New Age and Rock. New album, Guero, is coming out March 29th.
    Album Reccomendation- Odelay

Coldplay- The best of Brit rock, new album, X&Y, coming out June 6th.
    Album Reccomendations- Rush of Blood to The Head, Parachutes

Future Leaders Of The World- Very good band, Hard Rock, reminiscent of Nirvana.
    Album Reccomendation- LVL IV

The Strokes- Not much to say, a phenomenal band. New album coming out towards the end of the year.
    Album Reccomendations- This Is It, Room on Fire

Incubus- Political- Stoner Rock, good band, last album was awesome.
    Album Reccomendation- Crow Left Of The Murder

Others that are too obvious to list- OK Go, Hot Hot Heat
  • The Redwalls, the Distorted Penguins, everybody else and the go biggrin.gif
  • neon lipstick=
    www.myspace.com/neonlipstickband
    www.purevolume.com/neonlipstick

brillianttttt.
    if you want more than that, im me or something i have some more mp3s on my computer.
  • Does anyone know of any good bands that are playing in Boston or the surrounding area the weekend of the 16th? My friend and I want to get off campus and just spend a weekend rocking out cool.gif

-Carin
  • QUOTE (bettyNLBboop @ Apr 5 2005, 11:06 AM)
    Does anyone know of any good bands that are playing in Boston or the surrounding area the weekend of the 16th? My friend and I want to get off campus and just spend a weekend rocking out cool.gif

-Carin

not the weekend of the 16th, but dresden dolls are playing at paradise rock club on the 24th, you should go...
  • Awesome! I'll definitely have to check that out....thanks!
  • Summer at Shatter Creek
    Six Nation State
    what else... oh maybe Sons and Daughters

I shall plug For Those Who Know again, b/c now they have stuff on the 'net to listen to.

And finally Voxtrot. They are about to go on tour again. Go see them. biggrin.gif