In this Discussion

Things Not to Say When Meeting a Rock Star

Comments

• QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jul 1 2006, 08:47 PM)
    also not saying anything is more wierder...

but that results in them poking/tickling you, playing with your hair, asking you why you look like you want to kill someone, or chasing after you with a video camera...
  • Apart from them being drunk themselves (this all depends on the band), don't let your drunk friend talk to them. At least when you're around. Or standing right next to them.

Andrew Langer and Logan Baren gave us weird looks for that. sad.gif

Also, it's embaressing when you didn't get what the band member asked you (as in hear it), and you don't want to say "what" because you want to make a good impression, so you just mumble a "yeah . . . " That's never good either.
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Jul 2 2006, 10:58 AM)
    Also, it's embaressing when you didn't get what the band member asked you (as in hear it), and you don't want to say "what" because you want to make a good impression, so you just mumble a "yeah . . . " That's never good either.

I do that all the time. Except. Not with rock stars. Haha.

I have to say, "What band are you in again?" is a good one. All of the guys from Rock Kills Kid, Big City Rock and The Lashes all started to look alike, so I was too nervous to go talk to them 'cause I didn't remember which band they were in. blink.gif
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Jul 2 2006, 09:58 AM)

Yup, done that.

QUOTE (shades of blue @ Jul 2 2006, 08:40 AM)
    from mixtape's sig: I HAVE POSTERS OF YOU NEXT TO BED!!

this one's funny too (can be said alone or to follow the above quote):
    WILL YOU MARRY ME?!

I always wondered, did Kay actually say that to Damian?

QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Jul 2 2006, 05:56 AM)
    I just have to say I think this thread is really silly. You guys, they're just people!! They're exactly the same as you and me! Also;

"Do you know my friend [insert name here]?"

yeah like 4 people from this board have done that for me. And not once has Dan said no.... THANK GOD!!!

Sure, it's not bad for you, but Dan looks at me like a nutter. Once he asked how I knew you, and then I felt weird because this was my answer, "Well, I haven't met her yet, we know eachother on the boards, and I'm moving to England in a year, and we always talk about her visiting, and she probably is going to within this year."

I tend to babble when I talk to people that are famous, or just people I like.
  • the first time i met damian i asked him what kind of shampoo he uses (aveda, by the way), but he didn't act like it was stupid, although 5 minutes later i thought it was.

also, on several occasions my best friend has spit on various musicians and all of them have been very polite and pretended not to notice, despite their eye rapidly twitching.

(oh, and when my mother met celine dion, the first thing my mum said was, "wow, you don't look like you've had any surgery done at all!")
  • QUOTE (bettyNLBboop @ Jul 2 2006, 12:44 PM)
    But if they want to touch you, go ahead and let them. Ain't nothing wrong with that wink.gif

i agree
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jul 2 2006, 02:55 AM)
    oh and never try and touch rockstars...they dont seem to like it

I touched Damian's broach and he didn't seem to mind, but I know what you mean. I told Tim he reminds me of Ringo Starr, and since I didn't know his name at the time, I decided to keep calling him Ringo. Was that a bad thing? Lol. Ok in most cases, yes that would be a bad thing, but not when your dealing w/ ok go.

BTW, AndiBot, you are hillarious!!!

QUOTE (untidytowns @ Jul 2 2006, 12:29 PM)
    (oh, and when my mother met celine dion, the first thing my mum said was, "wow, you don't look like you've had any surgery done at all!")

^^^ Lol!!! Oh, I so wanna do that now! I must stalk down a celebrity just so I can say that! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (AttAcKofTheELVES @ Jul 1 2006, 08:24 PM)
    what's the weirdest thing you can say when meeting a rock star.

i'm gonna have to go with "can i hump your leg?.."
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 1 2006, 10:01 PM)
    I feel like anything starting with "So I read/saw on MySpace...." is bound to sound creepy, no matter what you do.

I think that depends.
    "I saw on MySpace you covered [insert song & band] the other night--I love that song, etc. etc." or something else band/music-related seems fine.
    "You left the cutest comment on your girlfriend's MySpace!" not so much.

QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Jul 2 2006, 03:28 PM)
    i'm gonna have to go with "can i hump your leg?.."

laugh.gif Yeah, this one I would just go ahead and do. Asking first makes it awkward.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Jul 2 2006, 02:12 PM)
    I always wondered, did Kay actually say that to Damian?

Pfff, no. I've never actually freaked out in front of anyone famous..the weirdest my conversation with Damian got was when he started talking about how bad he smelled and I sort of paused and went, "Oh..YEAH, ME TOO!" so he'd feel better. I just made the picture in a nervous fit the night before because I had never talked to a band I was that consumed with before so I was a afraid I'd become..possessed or something.

I did, however, accidently bring up Tim's baldness. I was making him sign a poster (that does indeed hang next to my bed) and I was like "Yeah, just sign anywhere on your forehead I guess." Like, I might as well have yelled, "write your name all over your massive, baron scalp please." rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jul 2 2006, 10:26 PM)
    Like, I might as well have yelled, "write your name all over your massive, baron scalp please." rolleyes.gif

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jul 2 2006, 09:26 PM)
    Pfff, no. I've never actually freaked out in front of anyone famous..the weirdest my conversation with Damian got was when he started talking about how bad he smelled and I sort of paused and went, "Oh..YEAH, ME TOO!" so he'd feel better.

It's kind of like you're talking to customers or your boss and they bring up politics that you don't agree with: "Yes, I think all black people should go back to Africa, too."

That was just an example people, I'd never think or say that.
  • When i was taking a pic with Dallas green from this canadian rock band, all i could say was "This is soo rad!"...

GAH! and when i met Damian all I could do was ask him for his autograph and stare creepy-ly at him...

but the worst thing you could probably say when meeting a rock star is, "Ekk!" ( i think it was Ekk, or just a combination of fan girl squeeing/suprised outta my mind Ekking)
    HA! when i met Andy, I practicly almost ran into him because i wasnt expecting to see him and because we were in am massive crowd of non-Ok go luvas. So when I saw him I just said "Ekk!" (which I never said b4 in my life) and then he stared at me... and then i forced Yodie to talk to him while I just stared back at him...
    I am so lame. rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Jul 2 2006, 11:54 PM)
    "Yes, I think all black people should go back to Africa, too."

I just wanted to let you know that this made me laugh heartily. In these types of situations I just give some kind of acknowledgement, like "hmm."

Also, I tend to block out the embarrassing things i've said to rock stars, but I recall rapping for Tim and feeling really lame the next moment. Some other boardies had given us a box to give to Tim so we rapped when we gave it to him. What we didn't know was that the box contained a male ELEPHANT THONG and I was like "maybe we should have added that we are not responsible for the contents of the box." So yeah, thanks for making me relive that horrible moment!!! All these kinds of things were just done by boardies in the spirit of joking around, but looking back I see how it could be construed as creepy. lol.

This is also a funny one, my friend (who used to hang out on the old school boards) went up to Dan with her CD insert and just said, "Sign time!"
  • ^^ ha ha ha! Oh how those stories make me laugh

So, does anyone think that the rockstar ever feels like he/she is the one saying something dumb? All fans assume that they are going to look like idiots, but do rock stars ever worry that they are the ones who are looking like the idiot? (I mean real rock stars not the ones who appear in US Weekly magazine who are starved for attention)
  • Well, yeah. Obviously they would, like Jen said, they're just people. If they don't have a lot of confidence and are just insecure people to begin with, they're definitely going to be awkward and fumbly when forced to meet people. Just look at people like Rivers Cuomo.

Edit: I say "just" a lot. Secret Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore infatuation?
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Jul 4 2006, 05:41 PM)
    GAH! and when i met Damian all I could do was ask him for his autograph and stare creepy-ly at him...

haha, i usually try to avoid doing that at all costs when meeting musicians, but sometimes it's inevitable when they're THAT good-looking. but since i don't like silence i end up asking them something incredibly stupid and i come off as a ritalin-addled psycho.

not asking jared leto about his movie reminded me of the fact that you're not suppose to ask steven burns (of blue clues fame) about his nick jr. days. when he opened for ok go, he refused to accept a beer from this dude who asked him if he had a handy dandy notebook.
    haha, i usually try to avoid doing that at all costs when meeting musicians, but sometimes it's inevitable when they're THAT good-looking. but since i don't like silence i end up asking them something incredibly stupid and i come off as a ritalin-addled psycho

im so shy/lame that im lucky if im able to stutter out 2 words... hehe, I rely on Yodie to do the speaking wink.gif
  • saying something stupid that hopefully your not too embarassed about so that you can laugh at it is better than stuff like,
    'omg you played really well,' -whish is what i say
    i think because thats just plain boring, i mean, if you meet them again its better to say,
    'you signed my ticket at your show in melborne last year and i said you had really big feet,'
    they're more likely to go
    'oh yeah i remember'
    and they aren't likely to be really offended, you've been to two of their gigs!!!
  • QUOTE (countrykicks @ Jul 5 2006, 11:02 AM)
    'you signed my ticket at your show in melborne last year and i said you had really big feet,'
    they're more likely to go
    'oh yeah i remember'
    and they aren't likely to be really offended, you've been to two of their gigs!!!
    brilliant.