In this Discussion

How'd You First Get into Ok Go?

edited November -1 in OK Go
I'm sure there is a thread like this already, but I searched and couldn't find it. I just like hearing everyone's stories about how they first heard about them or when they first decided they liked them.

Comments

• I watched Get Over It on yahoo.com. Then I tried to download it, and couldn't. So I watched the music video over and over. And the next day the self-titled album came out, so that weekend, I bought it, and couldn't get enough of it.

And how'd YOU find them?
  • on madden 2002 goi was on it

the album had come out the same day so i got it
  • It's in the General Thread I believe, but whatevs.

I found out about them when I was on a train from Switzerland to Italy. I had my first hangover ever, and I was miserable. So, on the train I planned to sleep the whole time, and my friend Ryan and I decided to switch mp3 players. He had almost all hip hop and stuff I hated, but I wasn't in the mood to argue. I searched through artists, I saw OK Go, and I remembered my friend Elle being in love with them since before I met her, so I gave the song (Get Over It) a try. That was the day I got hooked. I listend to GOI on repeat the entire ride, and the second I got home I searched for them on the internet. THE END.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Sep 3 2006, 11:55 AM)
    on madden 2002 goi was on it
    the album had come out the same day so i got it

I remember that! My cousin was playing, and suddenly I heard the opening drums, and was like OMG ITS OK GO. And I was happy.
  • thats the only reason ive kept 2002 and not got any other ones

my team actully comes out to GOI

there fore are the best team ever
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Sep 3 2006, 11:50 AM)
    And how'd YOU find them?

My story's kind of stupid. I was looking for the name of the band that played the song Dynomite. The band that actually plays that is Ima Robot, but I saw the name Ok Go on someone's list of cd's they owned and I thought it might be them. I listened to Don't Ask Me and Cinamon Lips on Amazon and decided to buy the cd. I remember looking for their other cds and being bummed that they only had Ok Go out at the time.
  • I heard Get Over It on the radio, liked it, bought the CD, was pleased to know it was by far not the best song on there. I almost forgot about them after having a bad argument with my hub whilst their CD played in the background so I had bad memories associated with it. But thank GOD I got it out again a few months later. But I really became a mad fan when I saw them at Stubb's indoor (tiny venue, far from sold out!) and I fell in love with Damian in his red pants. They danced, they did the Les Mis thing, enough said. Then he hung around afterward and talked to everyone but I was too shy to go up to him. Every subsequent show I've been to afterward I have loved them just a little bit more....
  • so i was grounded and couldn't go to a rufus concert and my friend recorded it, and they happened to be opening for him. then i knew about them but i didn't really do anything about it. and then later i was reintroduced to their music and i went oh the rufus opening band! and i bought the second album off of itunes, then the first not long after.
  • i was at a cd store, and i saw an ok go cd with a cracked cover, but i didn't buy it. (i think i bought blondie's greatest hits instead. ha.) but i kept coming back and i kept seeing that cracked cd, and i felt bad for it so i eventually bought it for $3. needless to say, i became enthralled.
  • I listened to GOI when it came out, but I listened to C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips afterwards & was completely turned off. My friend asked me to partake in entering the OK Go Dance Contest, & I've been hooked ever since.
  • My story is the most colorful. So there.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Sep 3 2006, 01:37 PM)
    My story is the most colorful. So there.

Yeah, it kinda is. I'm jealous.
  • i bought the self titled CD 4 years ago because the cover/colors amused me. now they are pretty much my favorite band. funny how that worked out...
  • Yeah, the old album art is very attractive. My favorite is of the dude playing golf.
  • QUOTE (rooneyhappy @ Sep 3 2006, 01:38 PM)
    i bought the self titled CD 4 years ago because the cover/colors amused me. now they are pretty much my favorite band. funny how that worked out...

That's why I bought the Phantom Planet cd! I had to choose b/t the strokes and phantom planet, i didnt know either well, buti wanted one.. and The phantom planet cover was much more appealing, and i love it 100x more than the strokes which i bought later.
  • the radio staiton I listen to played "A Million Ways" a lot, and I was madly in love with it.

so I downloaded a bunch of their tunes from limewire (I'm bad, I know) and liked them a lot.

and one time the DJ said "and if you want to see them performing a hilarious dance to that song, then go to okgo.net and check it out."

so I did. and that's when I fell in love, and I bought the cds soon after (see, i make up for the limewire thing!)
  • march of 2002 i first heard get over it on the radio, liked the song, but it didn't really inspire to investigate their music any further... a few months later i saw the video for get over it on jbtv, fell out of my chair (not really that difficult since the chair no longer knows when to stop reclining) laughing when the music stopped and it just showed them playing ping pong, and thought "ok, that band is deserving of my $12" so i bought the cd a few days after it came out...
  • QUOTE (unicornsplzzz @ Sep 3 2006, 11:48 AM)
    I'm sure there is a thread like this already, but I searched and couldn't find it. I just like hearing everyone's stories about how they first heard about them or when they first decided they liked them.

THIS FOOL IS THE ONE WHO GOT ME HOOKED. I went to a concert with her and fell in love with Andy and I have been hooked ever since. tongue.gif
  • i found them out through some one's blog back in nov of 2002 and downloaded some songs. then a month later i bought the album.
  • A friend sent me Get Over It to listen to, and I got hooked and trailed the shops for OK Go.

The mission was a success and I turned into a slightly-obsessed fan biggrin.gif