In this Discussion

OK Go Five November shows w/Death Cab for Cutie!

Comments

• QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Sep 5 2006, 11:43 PM)
    haha, okay then.

I don't begrudge you insider info, I was just hopeful. I really wish I knew the Boston date now so I could start working on my parentals.

but, I'll just have to wait. they know how much I wanna go, and my mom seems sympathetic, so I should be okay.

Boston show: Thu Nov 16 '06 Place: Avalon Ballroom Performing With: tba: local, tba: local
  • QUOTE (Kaethe @ Sep 5 2006, 10:51 PM)
    This is really random, but I just noticed you're from McAllen... I was down there this weekend. Yay!

haha, ok I'm done with my pointless story now.

ooooohhh craziness!! yah my little town is so boring. but i'm either in mcallen and edinburg. both are freaking boring.
    where are you from??
  • does anyone know when the houston tickets go on sale?

this will be the first ok go concert i (might) attend where there are actual seats! with cushions, no less!

the hobby center is quite big, but i don't think they'll have a problem selling it out since both bands are quite popular now. the last houston dcfc show sold out pretty quickly.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Sep 6 2006, 10:05 PM)
    Isn't the hobby center ginormous? How are those 2 bands going to draw such a large crowd?

I thought they might be playing in Zilkha Hall, the smaller of the two theaters at the Hobby Center, but the DCFC site shows Sarofim Hall as the venue. Still nothing on the calendar and tickets are supposed to go on sale on Saturday. unsure.gif
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Sep 6 2006, 11:05 PM)
    Isn't the hobby center ginormous? How are those 2 bands going to draw such a large crowd?

OK Go and Death Cab??? Of course they'll draw in an audience. The Franz/DCFC shows pretty much sold out; OK Go and DCFC isn't all that much different. Okay, yeah, OK Go's not as well known as Franz, but after the VMAs....they'll probably pull in at least a decent crowd.
  • But when are tickets going on sale?????!!!!!!
  • QUOTE (CinnamonLips @ Sep 11 2006, 05:29 PM)
    Boston show: Thu Nov 16 '06 Place: Avalon Ballroom Performing With: tba: local, tba: local

haha... yeah, I know! I saw that when I checked today. And I totally freaked out.
    I've never been at the Avalon, but a ton of bands play there so it oughta be decent. Plus I know how to get there easily, if my parents will say yes. too bad its on a school night, but they have to say yes, they know how much I love Ok Go.

anyways... back to Ok GO and DCFC. I think they should be able to sell out a decent-sized venue... the fact that DCFC has bands as big as Ok Go as headliners should be reason enough.
  • QUOTE (vinyl_days @ Sep 11 2006, 05:20 PM)
    ooooohhh craziness!! yah my little town is so boring. but i'm either in mcallen and edinburg. both are freaking boring.
    where are you from??

I'm from the west houston area, but my sister teaches down there. Not in McAllen, but an even smaller town nearby. We toured McAllen a bit though while I was there... it was the highlight. =]
  • QUOTE (Rainymorn @ Sep 12 2006, 05:04 PM)
    But when are tickets going on sale?????!!!!!!

For the DCfC shows? I posted all the info and links over here (scroll down a bit to November).
  • Do you think they'll sell out within a day? I'm not gonna be home on Saturday. So is the Hobby Center all seated?
  • And there is still nothing about the show on the Hobby Center calendar. *pouts*
  • WOOT! WOOT! I got 2 reserved advance sale balcony seats for Milwaukee this AM. Anyone wanna see Death Cab for Cutie? My seats will be empty after our boyz have played!
  • Dude, stay for them!
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Sep 14 2006, 02:42 PM)
    Dude, stay for them!

I'm just not that into them - I'm willing to have my mind changed though (@ 40 bucks a ticket, I'd like to like 'em). Give me a quick primer (i.e. what songs do I GOTTA add to my playlist?).
  • Well..I don't really know that much about them, so I'll give you my noob favourites: Crooked Teeth, I Will Follow You Into The Dark, Soul Meets Body..um..yeah, I suck. But I'd want to stay for them if I paid that much. Plus tons of emo kids will be jealous of you.
  • QUOTE (CanaCove @ Sep 14 2006, 01:02 PM)
    I'm just not that into them - I'm willing to have my mind changed though (@ 40 bucks a ticket, I'd like to like 'em). Give me a quick primer (i.e. what songs do I GOTTA add to my playlist?).

I'd definitely recommend staying for death cab's set. I saw them last month in Berkeley and they were AMAZING...i totally expected it to be a mellow set; it was anything but.
    anyway...here are a few tracks which i recommend:
    1. Crooked Teeth
    2. Photobooth
    3. I Will Follow You Into the Dark
    4. I Was a Kaleidoscope
    5. Title and Registration
    6. Soul Meets Body

Plus, Death Cab has a bunch of AMAZING covers. I would pick out a few for you, but I'm at work and I'm afraid of my boss walking in on me not working. dry.gif But, if you scroll through here: clicky. you should be able to find a bunch. elbo.ws > Music Blog Aggregator is awesome for finding mp3s and stuff.
  • Their cover of This Charming Man is pretty good.
  • ummm "title and registsration" got me into deathcab... I'm annoyed by soul meets body....

The only album I've listened to in entierty is the first one. And lots of the other random songs are very amazing.

point: stay, your opinion might change
  • Plans is actually one of my favorite CDs. The songs on it are amazing.

And just to clear this up, you don't have to be emo to like Death Cab. I'm certainly not, so never fear! you won't have to convert. =]
  • a ticket link for the houston show went up on superunison last night but some asshats hacked the website! no!

exhibit a: http://www.superunison.com

(but the good news is that they're not selling via ticketmaster.)