In this Discussion

MA show!

Comments

• Aw, I'm sorry it was a crappy night. sad.gif Next time will be better!
  • Thanks, Rachel - ~big hugs back~ You make me feel enormously better about the standing thing- I was really worried about that.
    And thanks, Claret (ugh, I'm so sorry I don't know your real name)- ~big hugs back too~
    And you said the right thing to that annoying couple!
    Thank you too, Sheri ~now it's a group hug~

You're right Claret that the shows will hopefully be better when they headline. But I guess that won't happen again here for years...
    Oh, well, it's fun to dream about that day anyhow, and how I'll finally meet them all and say,"You're my hero!" handing them their present - and maybe on that day, everyone will be standing...Oh, and no security guards.
  • Wowwww, reading that broke my heart. I'm really sorry all of that happened, it sounds absolutely terrible. I can't believe you had to go through all of that crap; being one of the few true fans there.
  • QUOTE (Shalu-lah @ Jun 24 2007, 02:58 PM)
    Wowwww, reading that broke my heart. I'm really sorry all of that happened, it sounds absolutely terrible. I can't believe you had to go through all of that crap; being one of the few true fans there.

Hearing you say that means so much to me- oh, I want so terribly much to hug you! sad.gif
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your experience last night sad.gif Seems like you've been looking forward to this show for a while, and it's a shame that so many jerks ruined it for you. I have to agree that the Fray fans were...uninspired. I was front row in the GA pit and I really believe that my friend and I and possibly 2 other people behind us were the only ones dancing and shouting and having a great time. Their loss, I guess. And don't feel bad about standing the during their whole set - I believe that was the point that Damian was trying to make. It's a ROCK SHOW and people should not be sitting in their seats! They SHOULD be up singing, screaming, dancing, holding signs, being excited and having a great time!! Don't worry - they'll be back around soon enough, hopefully at a smaller venue, hopefully headling... which would mean a show full of OK Go fans. And OK Go fans are a lot of fun!!

Oh - and here is Damian's little blurb on profanity:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt3Vl5-1EqM
    [Sorry I'm not technically savvy enough to figure out how to directly embed the video ohmy.gif]
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 24 2007, 02:58 PM)
    Thanks, Rachel - ~big hugs back~ You make me feel enormously better about the standing thing- I was really worried about that.
    And thanks, Claret (ugh, I'm so sorry I don't know your real name)- ~big hugs back too~
    And you said the right thing to that annoying couple!
    Thank you too, Sheri ~now it's a group hug~

You're right Claret that the shows will hopefully be better when they headline. But I guess that won't happen again here for years...
    Oh, well, it's fun to dream about that day anyhow, and how I'll finally meet them all and say,"You're my hero!" handing them their present - and maybe on that day, everyone will be standing...Oh, and no security guards.
    I'm Dani =p And no problem... it's not like I'm around here a lot... lol

I hope they'll be back summer 2008... I kind of want to follow them around the continent on tour unsure.gif Hahaha
  • Oh Sally, as I read that I felt so bad for you, which quickly gave way to anger in the direction of the twats around you (I told my parents about your show when they asked why I had exclaimed "fucking jerks!", and they agreed and said they were sorry. In the words of my dad - "what a bunch of fuckers.").

I'm sorry you didn't have as great a time as you'd hoped and I'm sure next time will be so much better!
    You're a true fan, trying to be so supportive amid so many dicks. Well done, love smile.gif
    *hugs*
  • Wow, I'm sorry all those people had to ruin it for you. You definitely deserve an award just for being one of the greatest OK Go fans. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 24 2007, 08:53 AM)
    So yeah- I danced and jumped and screamed and waved my poster. And then the girl next to me told me to stop. “Be quiet!” I said (I never say “shut up”- that’s what comes of having ultra-strict parents. I never even swear out loud, but for some reason, I swear when I IM online). She told me that I was annoying her and I again just said, “be quiet!” and went right on screaming and singing along.
    After the second song, the security guard decided that people weren’t allowed to stand by the iron bars. “She is!” I protested, pointing to the girl who had been irking me.
    “Her seat is right next to it. You have to be by your seat.” It was a bother to nobody (except that girl, I guess) that we were there, but what could we do? So my sister and I moved backward and I continued to jump and sing.
    Along came another security guard. “Let me see your ticket,” he barked. I showed it to him and he directed me to move further down to where it was. Fine. So we moved and I kept jumping and singing.
    Then the security guard came back up to me. “You can’t be in the aisle,” he growled. Ok, so I stand in front of my seat, still jumping, singing, and waving my sign.
    The security guard comes back. “You can’t have a sign!” he shouted. “You’re blocking other people’s view!” Looking back on the history of signs, mine was rather small. It was a half-poster size, the remains of some Odysseus presentation my sister had done.
    But I set it down and continued to jump and sing. It was terrible. I was the only one standing in my entire section, and all the preppy girls and their boyfriends around me turned, truly turned, to glare at me. I would sing and they would just turn their heads and give me this look.

Oh, sweetie, that is just too terrible. What losers those people are!

Take comfort is this -- you were right, even if you were the only one.

Dancing always scares the authoritarians & control freaks.

This makes me think of one of the clips from Jay Leno, the camera pans the television audience while OK Go is playing and right there, front and center, Trish is rockin' out and dancin' in her own little world. That is as it should be.

Just take that example as validation - you did alright smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jun 24 2007, 02:42 PM)
    Oh Sally, as I read that I felt so bad for you, which quickly gave way to anger in the direction of the twats around you (I told my parents about your show when they asked why I had exclaimed "fucking jerks!", and they agreed and said they were sorry. In the words of my dad - "what a bunch of fuckers.").

I'm sorry you didn't have as great a time as you'd hoped and I'm sure next time will be so much better!
    You're a true fan, trying to be so supportive amid so many dicks. Well done, love smile.gif
    *hugs*

Alice, I love your language.
  • Sounds like a terrible audience!! i hat when audiences just sit there looking depressed.. why go to the gig at all if people are going to be miserable!! its great to hear someone was just going for it...i must say id've been up on my feet too annoying all my immediate neighbours!! x
  • Alice- you're so wonderful. And your parents are so cool! I just thought of something- you could be a female Damian. You're very pretty, and thoughtful and witty and articulate smile.gif

Keaton- thank you so so much. That story about Trish was inspiring- she's a heroine, and her dancing really was, as you described it perfectly, "as it should be." I'm enormously grateful that you told this story right now.

sorry, Danni wub.gif I definitely won't forget now. Your name is so beautiful!

Yummy, Turdelini- thanks. You deserve an award too, Yummy, and Turdelini, you captured the profanity blurb! That's awesome! Next time we'll all meet up and have an OK Go party.

Curlysue- the way you put it reminds me of "kickin', shoutin', dancin' on the tables all night long" smile.gif

Guys, you're all amazing. It's so incredible to come here and be with such great people who understand- I feel like our OK Go community is a little family. I am very, very grateful to be part of this family.

Well, tonight's Rachel's show- we wish you an awesome time, Rachel! Hugs!
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 24 2007, 08:48 PM)
    Well, tonight's Rachel's show- we wish you an awesome time, Rachel! Hugs!

Awww, Sally you're so sweet! ::hugs back::

I'm afraid that I don't have a much better story than you do, although mine does have a slight silver lining at the end. I'll type it tomorrow.

I completely empathise with you though. Especially after tonight.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 24 2007, 11:53 AM)
    They would not let me in.
    “What’s in the box, Miss?”
    “…A present for the band…for OK Go.”
    “What’s the present?”
    I didn’t think it was any of their business, but I opened it and then, laughing, they spent what seemed like 10 minutes calling their security guard friends inside to ask if I should be allowed to proceed on through. They finally decided that I could pass through the gate, but my box would be checked again when I entered the amphitheatre. I had spent 2 weeks and sooo many hours making this present, and it made me mad that these people were inspecting it. I suppose it didn’t help that I also had a poster with words, “We <3 OK Go” on it.

The security guard comes back. “You can’t have a sign!” he shouted. “You’re blocking other people’s view!” Looking back on the history of signs, mine was rather small. It was a half-poster size, the remains of some Odysseus presentation my sister had done.
    But I set it down and continued to jump and sing. It was terrible. I was the only one standing in my entire section, and all the preppy girls and their boyfriends around me turned, truly turned, to glare at me. I would sing and they would just turn their heads and give me this look. I know that it was just the people directly in front of me and behind me that were doing this, but it felt like the entire amphitheatre was doing it. Pretty soon, I gave up. I just stood there, not singing, not moving. Just trying not to be a baby and crying.
    And then they played Get Over It. Yes, yes, I thought to myself excitedly, I shall get over it! And I tried really hard to enjoy myself, to savor this last opportunity to hear OK Go live. But I just couldn’t. There was just no magic. Outside in the amphitheatre, the music seemed to drift past me instead of going inside of me. You know when it snows, and you take a shower and go outside without drying your hair, and then your hair freezes and you take hold of the strands and snap them, snap, snap, snap? Broken fibers of your being? That’s what it felt like.

And then Damian said that up until now, we had all been so courteous to “the lovely couple in the back,” sitting behind us, as we had all been sitting in our chairs. “But now it’s time to say, ‘fuck the lovely couple in the back!’” and then out came HIGA. I felt really badly at that point, because I had been standing the whole time- which means I had been discourteous and selfish. I regret it and if anybody behind me ever reads this, I’m sorry I did that.
    They ended with DWYW, and they had the air tube arm things

This night was so not worth the $500 I spent...

Okay, first off, wtf@those security guards! They had no reason to be laughing or giving you a hard time about bringing stuff inside the venue. If they don't want people bringing stuff in, they need to clearly state it on the tickets or outside the venue. You should call up the venue's management and file a complaint or something, at the very least they should give you free tickets to something, as your whole experience was ruined by those immature imbiciles. Did you even get to give them the gift? (what was it, btw? I think I missed reading what you said you made, sorry!)

Secondly, if those dumb guards who let you in with a sign didn't mention anything about it being against the rules, why would you be given a hard time later? That's just plain ridiculous! Again, calling and complaining about that might get you compensation of some sort. (yay free stuff!) wink.gif

I have to stand up and applaud you. In a theatre full of mopey people, you were one of the only fans actually supporting the band you love. You didn't care what those bimbos thought or said, you were showing the band how much you appreciated them. And I can understand, that after a while of being the only one standing up and supporting them, that it got to you. But you shouldn't feel bad about that. Those people who made you feel that way should. You came to that show to enjoy yourself, and it's no one else's business how you enjoy it(as long as it's legal, haha). If the boys ever come for a show and that happens again, I want you to think about how courageous you are for being the only one standing up and screaming. It may be my social anxiety, but I certainly am terrified of doing something like that. When I go to a show, even if I'm in the front row, I can only stand and hide behind a camera lens. So don't feel bad about cheering alone, feel proud that you're one of the few who can express themselves to the rest of the world! I don't care what those preppy people thought or said about you, you should know that all of us on here are honored to even be your friend! smile.gif

Damian was just trying to rile up the crowd, do NOT take what he said personally. If someone goes to a show, they should know that part of the experience is standing for many hours to enjoy the show. If those people were dissing the band before the show even started, then I'm happy that you blocked their view! You did them a favor by preventing such negative people from becoming fans of such a great band. I wouldn't want to stand alongside those people if they joined the ranks of the OKGarmy, as they'd be such hypocrites.

I will admit that I've been one of those that were sitting at a show. When I saw the Rolling Stones in Vegas, about halfway through the show, some security guard came and roughly grabbed me and told me I wasn't allowed to be taking pictures. Technically, I wasn't taking pictures at that exact moment(I had my camera hooked up to my binoculars, so I could have an extended digital zoom and focus so then I could see better, as our seats weren't too terrific), a lady down the row was snapping shots like crazy with the flash on, and I got in trouble for it. After that, I felt that empty, desolate "broken fibers of my being" feeling, like you experienced. I sat down for the rest of the show and couldn't see anything. I was tearing up and trying not to start bawling. I ended up missing seeing a camera pan over the front row and see Chris Rock and Pamela Anderson standing there cheering and dancing. While that's not anything spectacular per se, I feel like I was the only one who missed out on seeing that and I regret ever beating myself up for something I had no control over(also, tickets were $600+ and I only saw about $300 worth of the show, which I feel terrible for wasting so much money). So take it from me, when you start beating yourself up, you end up missing out on things! So don't let that stuff get to you! And if this ever happens again, you let me know and I'll drive up there and beat the crap out of those people for making you feel bad!
  • I'm so sorry, Tabetha. You know that we'd all be there to band together for support if it were as easy as teleporting over. It sucks when the crowd sucks. I love a good, standing, dancing crowd, (as long as nobody's getting hurt, which was the case at a couple shows I've been to). I'm glad you at least saw a show. Oh, and what became of your present? Do I have it right, that it's still in your possession and you'll give it to them some other time? Is it true that they don't often come around to that area? Maybe that'll change in the future, and it's just been how the scheduling has happened to work out thus far. I can't imagine another deliberate reason for them not going there more often; maybe it's just dumb luck. I'm sure you'll see them again one day. I really wish I knew what to say to help you to feel better about it. Saturday night, you were still in one of the best places to be--watching and listening to an awesome band. I spent my Saturday going to the store and watching movies and helping my husband get ready for a business trip. Lame. rolleyes.gif Oh, and I third (or fourth?) not taking what Damian said personally. He feeds off of good dancing crowds; that's all he wanted, and he says similar things all of the time. He just has to be a little more creative, as you know. "Come on and dance!" is too simple for him. happy.gif
  • For anyone who might be interested...

From the Boston Globe:

"OK Go proved itself a model opening act, energetic enough to warm up the audience while generously paving the way for the headliners. Though frontman Damian Kulash seemed to be losing his voice and a few subtleties were lost in the open air, the band's power pop provided a much-needed jolt. Even potential distractions such as the tambourine Frisbees thrown into the crowd, a smoke machine , and the pink tube airdancers behind the band during the closing "Do What You Want" came off more as solid showmanship than overcompensation."

Full review here:
    http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/20...on_not_passion/
  • blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

sally. i am SO sorry you had such a negative experience watching such a great band... i can honestly say my show a couple weeks ago was about the same... i was sitting on the lawn... sounds a lot like your ampitheater, but i love DTE, and i love the lawn (usually) so i didn't mind. yeah well, until i tried to stand up in a sea of people sitting down. and when damian FINALLY said to "fuck everyone behind you" and stand up, i did, and got SCREAMED at by every bitch behind me. and the stupid bitches in front of us didn't help either. it was probably one of my most negative experiences at a concert, and i'm sorry that you had to go through it too, but on a much larger scale sad.gif

i'm glad you toughed it out and stood for them the entire time though...

i couldn't agree more w/ the fray comments. i used to like them, just a little, really. and after that, i was SO bored after 3 songs, that i didn't care if i missed it or not, hence me trying to find the guys bus and being compeltely unsuccesful... we left before they were done w/ their 5th song...
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Jun 25 2007, 12:04 AM)
    Alice, I love your language.

Bahaha, I'm so sorry, i just read that back and realised how awful I sounded... I apologise for the swearing. I was just so enraged I guess. Glad you love it tho, Sheri smile.gif

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jun 25 2007, 01:48 AM)
    Alice- you're so wonderful. And your parents are so cool! I just thought of something- you could be a female Damian. You're very pretty, and thoughtful and witty and articulate smile.gif

Awwww Sally you are the sweetest person ever! That made me grin so much smile.gif Thank you, sweetheart, you're so lovely! Definitely as sweet as Dan. And Dan's like saccharine...

Lol and I curse as much as Damian, apparently... unsure.gif
  • Kim- you have no idea how much I appreciate everything you wrote. You're like the OK Go expert to me. Your Rolling Stones story- you understand everything so perfectly. It's so true, what you said- feeling empty and tearing up makes you miss something...That security guard who bothered you for that lady's flashing- are all security guards walking around thinking they own the earth?
    QUOTE (Kikky @ Jun 25 2007, 03:08 AM)
    You did them a favor by preventing such negative people from becoming fans of such a great band. I wouldn't want to stand alongside those people if they joined the ranks of the OKGarmy, as they'd be such hypocrites.

Two things. 1) I LOVE that word- OKGarmy. You just coined a wicked cool word- it'll beat out "google" in the dictionary of new words and word usages. 2) I never even looked at it that way and you are so right, hahaha.
    I don't care what those preppy people thought or said about you, you should know that all of us on here are honored to even be your friend!

ok, now I can't even pretend to be cool because I'm crying. That is such an incredibly nice thing to say and I don't deserve it. You're such a good friend, Kim. Thank you so much, just so much.
    And if this ever happens again, you let me know and I'll drive up there and beat the crap out of those people for making you feel bad!

~hugs and a big squeeeeeeeze~ We're gonna have to get together and have an OK Go party sometime smile.gif I'm definitely coming down to Orlando to see my grandmother, so I will try to find you when I do. You're the best!

Karen- thanks very much- you're right that at least I got to hear them. And the teleporting thing- lawlz! We should all get togwther, maybe for like the OK Go 50th anniversary concert and we'll all fly in from all over. What a strange picture to imagine! Until then, it's really awesome that we can meet here- it's our little home smile.gif
    As for the gift- no, I didn't get to give it to them. I have another sister who for some reason loves The Fray, so while she and her friend were watching The Fray, I and my sister who loves OK Go went wandering around looking for OK Go. We got yelled at by security gaurds over and over, actually. We looked all over the place, but there weren't actually many places to look- other than the actual ampitheatre, there's only paths to different tiers (which is why we were getting yelled at- blah blah you can't come up here without a ticket to this entrace, your ticket says you're on the other tier) and the glorified food stands. We would've gone to the parking lot again except that there was no readmission and I needed to go back for my other sister....so yeah, that was a long explanation for "no, I didn't"- sorry for that excessive paragraph.
    But oh well, I'll just use this time to imagine the next show when I hopefully give it to them.

Katie- ugh, and I just read Rachel's write up. So all three of us were surrounded by the worst audiences ever. What is it with these people? When I was a kid, my aunt would take us to the symphony and everybody (well, ok, Bill Cosby) emphasizes how you're supposed to sit down quietly and like, clap with 2 fingers on 2 fingers. But not when you watch a rock band...I admire you for toughing it out too when you were screamed at- jeesh, who would've thought a concert could be a test of strength?

Alice- very few people in the world can curse and make it look sexy, suave, fresh and cool. You and Damian are one of the few. You totally rock!
    And thank you for saying I'm like Dan- lol, I'm not at all though. I have a mean streak and Dan is a darling all the time. Actually, I think my cousin is going to grow up to be like Dan. He's 4 years old and he's ridiculously friendly. He smiles at strangers and talks with anybody and everybody. He is not afraid of strangers at all. This caused, actually, quite a problem, because last year, he was kidnapped at a store and while his mother was in hysterics at the police, he apparently never even cried with the kidnapper.
  • i don't know what it is... must be The Fray fans, seriously. Even when the Fray started the girl behind me was like "SIT. DOWN!" and I had already given her the finger when she told me to sit down for OK Go so at this point, I just yelled instead. I have the SHORTEST temper... and I probably could have handled it better... but she didn't even stand when EVERYONE around us stood for The Fray...

Here was my response to her, and I quote:

You are at a fucking rock show. If you didn't prepare yourself to stand the fuck up for some music then that's your problem, not mine. I'm trying to enjoy the show here and I don't need to hear you squawking at me and ruining it. THANK YOU."

Seriously. I was *SO* pissed.