In this Discussion

Songs that make you sad....

Comments

• at my funeral i want techno to be played and make it like a rave lol some sandstorm, numa numa, satasfaction, stuff like that lol
  • don't look back in anger - oasis

sad.gif
  • Hate Me- Blue October
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Aug 1 2007, 10:57 PM)
    decemberists "engine driver"

keane "nothing in my way"

stars "one more night"

oasis "wonderwall"

I heart these songs. Wonderwall makes me happy. So does Engine Driver. But ya one more night and nothing in my way could have you balling.

On the bus mall is sad for me... and eli the barrow boy.

The new song i got from the new stars album called "My favourite book" makes me teary eyed. dang... i imagine thats how it fells to be in love.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 1 2007, 02:51 PM)
    I just remembered -
    "You and I Both" by Jason Mraz reminds me of a former good friend.

Holymotherfuckingshit I'm listening to that song right now. Weirrrrd coincidence.
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Aug 2 2007, 06:41 PM)
    I heart these songs. Wonderwall makes me happy. So does Engine Driver. But ya one more night and nothing in my way could have you balling.

On the bus mall is sad for me... and eli the barrow boy.

The new song i got from the new stars album called "My favourite book" makes me teary eyed. dang... i imagine thats how it fells to be in love.

yeah sometimes wonderwall makes me happy, but at others times it makes me even more depressed.. but yeah its one of the most amazing songs ever.

i haven't really listened to all of stars' new album, but i'll take a listen.
    love "the night starts here"

and another song: "hear me out" frou frou.
  • In no particular order:

"Light In Your Eyes" - Blessid Union of Souls
    Have you people ever heard this song? I haven't heard it in ages, but it makes me cryyyyyyyyyyy. Look it up, and then wait for the end- the last verse and last refrain are heartwrenching.

"23" - Secret Dakota Ring
    Somewhere around "stayed quiet past ryan's room/candles and perfume" is when I really start to tear up.

"Mr. Brightside" - The Killers
    Admittedly, most of the first half of Hot Fuss makes me upset, but this is the song that gets me. If you were half-drunk, standing on the dancefloor on New Year's Eve, having the worst time of your life, and standing two feet away from the person about whom this song makes you think, wouldn't you cry, too?

"You And I Both" - Jason Mraz
    And it's okay if you had to go away/Just remember the telephone, well it works both ways/But if I never, ever hear it ring/Well, if nothing else I'll think the bells inside/Have finally found you someone else...
    Reminds me of my ex-boyfriend. If you can't tell, I have a real problem with the whole loving/being-really-close-to-someone-and-then-breaking-up-or-falling-out-and-never-seeing-that-person-ever-again-in-your-life thing.

The Triumvirate: "Return," "Shortly Before The End," "T's Song" - OK Go
    But they don't make me cry like they used to.

"Chasing Cars" - Snow Patrol
    Makes me cry for several reasons: 1) it's a very pretty song, and I wish someone would feel that way about me; 2) the connotation with the last episode of season 2 of Grey's, which made me cry; 2) it reminds me of summer 2006.

"The Days Go Oh So Slow" - Nightmare of You
    Oh, Jesus, I cannot listen to this song anymore. Totally ruined music.

"That August Feeling" - Absent
    Right now, this is probably the single song that makes me cry no matter how much I try to stop it from coming. I know I've posted about it once or twice before, but it really is an excellent song, so it's definitely worthy of mention. It doesn't help that it's not a very happy song to begin with (opening line: It's time I woke up and not forced a smile/That should come naturally), but I also have a huuuuuuuuuuge emotional attachment to it- or rather, it's sort of the theme for what was a rather emotional year. It's one of those song where I listened to it for the first time (sometime circa September or October 2006) and thought, "Oh my GOD that is EXACTLY how I feel right now!" It was that burning, blinding desire that I had for a long time to just go back to August. It was hugely significant in my first few months in Paris; always and forever, I'll have this image of myself running through the Paris metro when I hear that song. And it didn't help that I went and got myself into a very sticky situation that just dragged itself on with one of the band members; the song reminds me of that as well.

It's just...hugely thematic. And cathartic. And sad. It (along with "Textbook" by WAS and probably "Mr. Brightside") pretty much defined my junior year. It was the last song I listened to on the airplane in Paris (five or six times, on repeat) before we took off, heading back to the US.

Um. I think there are other songs, but a good chunk of them make me sad because they're ruined music ("Days Go Oh So Slow" and "Chasing Cars" fall into the same category), so whether they continue to make me upset as time goes by, I don't know.
  • The Art Teacher by Rufus Wainwright
    Just because it's beautiful <3
  • no one has to know, by eliot morris.

i will ALWAYS love this song.
  • "Sing for Absolution" Muse
    I find this immensely depressing.

"Cabron" RHCP--this just reminds me of a time I was really happy and it makes me nostalgic, especially since I won't be seeing the people I was with for a year while I'm abroad.

and I second "Travelin' Soldier" by Dixie Chicks. It makes me tear up every time.
  • "I'm Already There" by Lonestar.
    I don't really like country but this song seriously gets me evertime.
  • chocolate - snow patrol

this song is sad. not to mention the music video is terrifying to me.
  • Casimir Pulaski Day - Sufjan Stevens
  • return-okgo <<my number one sad song
    i cry every time i hear return.

and..

little one - beck

but i looove them both
  • T's Song - OK Go - I find T's Song sadder than Return.
    Return - OK Go
    One - Aimee Mann - The Aimee Mann version of this song is much sadder than any other version, mainly because it's in the film Magnolia.
  • QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Aug 1 2007, 02:57 PM)
    i think we have the same taste in music bc we were born on the same day! lol only i was born in 1991

i missed this earlier... because when i commented on your profile, it was a complete surprise to me... but that's rad. july 22nd all the way

QUOTE (amberdino @ Aug 1 2007, 10:57 PM)
    whoever said howie day, i think katie, yeah they're kinda sad too.

twas me smile.gif i love howie though... its more nostalgia than anything... but still sadness...

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 4 2007, 10:55 PM)
    "23" - Secret Dakota Ring

ohhhhh my. god. don't even get me started on this one. i f'n love that song. smile.gif and by 'dont get me started' i mean, i half-agree. i just love it though.

QUOTE (giggleguy @ Aug 10 2007, 08:52 AM)
    T's Song - OK Go - I find T's Song sadder than Return.

i'll agree to that one too...

and i'm adding

champagne supernova by oasis. once again. memories of the great, care-free times. sooo nostalgic.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 4 2007, 10:55 PM)
    "You And I Both" - Jason Mraz
    And it's okay if you had to go away/Just remember the telephone, well it works both ways/But if I never, ever hear it ring/Well, if nothing else I'll think the bells inside/Have finally found you someone else...

That's the exact line that gets me.

And 23 is my favorite song right now. It's the #1 most played on my iPod. But it doesn't make me cry, it makes me happy.
  • what is this t's song
    where can i hear it?
    and why dont i know of it?
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Aug 1 2007, 01:48 PM)
    dancing nancies and tripping billies by dmb... even though they are 2 of my absolute faves... when you listen to music with someone and then that someone just turns into someone bad, it sucks that those particular songs remind you of said bad person.... but again i power through b/c i love that music.

Ahh I'm so sorry those got ruined for you. DMB in general makes me happy, especially those 2 songs.

But sad songs for me, just about 80% of all Counting Crows music. But Oh man it takes me back to those bad times in my life. It was like he knew I how felt. Very powerful, very sad stuff.

Blue October is the same way, but to a lesser extent. My favorite is "Overweight" (which has nothing to do with obesity btw)

I italicized the bits I really like, and the bond one slapped yet again today.

Ever carried the weight of another?
    For how long?
    I walk as far as they need to recover
    For how long? (ha!)

I want to carry a piece of who I was before
    So when I hit the wall, I really hit the wall

I want to tear away the death again
    A whiter shade of fucking meth again
    I want to stick to clues, I want to come unglued
    I want to shape the world to fit the way you move
    Oh, should I listen for a dress size?

I owned up, I've grown up, do you remember me?
    I showed up and so what if I'm the used to be
    I'm here to tell you that I'm sorry I was sorry
    But I'm happy that you're happy
    This is no longer about me

Trade rules, switch sides for your beautiful eyes
    Let him be you through your beautiful cries
    Let him hold you up so you can touch affordable skies
    Live your life just like a dream
    Without the pain of goodbyes
    Goodbye!

For how long?
    For how long?

I been a drunk disrespectful little street punk
    Unlock the back of my trunk
    You see, you take this bat
    And bash my head into the street again
    No-ones around so I keep beating it

Pull my hair back, look me in the eye
    There's a self-destructive meaning in the bleeding of a guy
    It's the guilt of what reality has given me
    Making sense of all mistakes and my stupidity
    And when you're sick you seem to think
    You've failed eternally

And that the people you let in are only crumbling
    I'm fuckin sick of thinking life in this recovery
    When my decision paved the road
    That lies in front of me

So to my friends that even call but I don't call back
    I want you deep inside my heart upon a hill
    It seems to hide sometimes and run away and wonder
    I'm really sick of saying sorry but I will

For how long?
    For how long?

But are we scared to take the ride?
    Or dare to look inside?
    I'm floating far away (far away)
    I'm floating far away (leaving home)
    I'm floating far away (so far away)
    I'm floating far away

I want to learn to walk with others as an equal
    I want to treat the ones who love me with respect
    I want to tell the world I'll give them all a piggyback
    And try to take away my negative effect

I want to kiss the girl, I know I'll never lie again
    I want to call my dad and tell him that I care
    I want to let my brother know
    He saved my life a thousand times
    Throughout the years he's been my friend
    Who's always there

For how long?

I had to listen to it of course posting it and all and it all applying to today and shit. And of course Countin Crows comes on shuffle right after

"What more perfect
    roundezvous
    The sundown paints
    the shadows through
    The daylight, Amy
    on what we do

What can I say?
    I wish that this weather would never leave
    it just gets hard to believe
    that God sent this angel to watch over me
    Cause my angel,
    she don't receive my calls
    Cause I'm too dumb to fuck
    to dumb to fight too dumb to save
    well maybe I don't need no angel at all

The bus is runnin, it's time to leave
    The summer's gone, and so are we
    so come on baby let's go SHUT IT DOWN
    IN NEW OOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Come on baby!!"

God I love that fucking band!!!
  • for lovers - pete doherty and/or wolfman(?)