Interpol

Comments

• ok, found some magazine on the interpol message board:
    [i dont think its recent]
    QUOTE (CurePol @ Aug 6 2007, 01:07 PM)

and supposedly the new singles are:
    mammoth in the uk
    no i in threesome in the us

[interesting }:] i hope they make the vid for no i in threesome biggrin.gif]

edit, an old article. nice and short smile.gif:
    At no point during this interview do any of the assembled snort intoxicants off the spines of hookers or clamber naked to the top of a tall building waving a bottle and yelling, "I'm on top of the world, ma." Shame, really. Instead, we sit in a hotel conference room and talk about Interpol's new album over coffee and fags.

A glance through the New York band's press cuttings gives you the impression that, for all the dark, sullen majesty of their beautifully gauged, misery-as-balm music, they're hedonistic, hell-raising, skirt-chasing party animals drinking for America. Excellent! The man from Uncut has brought his toothbrush.

Unfortunately, here they are being all articulate and intelligent. It's a surprise to find them being so earnest.
    "You're saying we're a band with a brain?" laughs pale singer/guitarist/lyricist Paul Banks. "Ha, I'm glad we're in that category for you. Thanks. Phew."

But every other article on you ends up with everyone dribbling happily in a ditch.
    "Most of those were on tour," explains Banks, "and that can be stressful. You're asked: what've you been doing? The honest answer is: getting fucking wasted, actually. You say that one line, maybe in the midst of all these lucid things about the craft of making music, and your love for art, and your hatred of hangovers, but of course the rock'n'roll cliche is what gets written about. As a new band, we didn't realise the pitfalls. From now on we're going to explain relativity each time..."
    "There's that on-the-road side," agrees affable guitarist Daniel Kessler. "Then there's the moments in our shitty-assed rehearsal space cracking a new song. And it's those moments of beauty and euphoria which are Interpol to me"
    "We are a rock band, though," offers drummer Sam Fogarino. "By definition, there will be...things hanging around."
    Carlos Dengler (bass, keyboards, love child of Dave Vanian and Mick Karn) has been looking incredulous for seconds.
    "Did you expect us to be sitting here damaged by substance abuse? Is that what you're saying?"
    Uncut expected a more antic disposition.
    "Why," asks Fogarino, "can't a band just be a band in every sense, without being..."
    "A bunch of schmucks?" offers Dengler. "Well, we're older than some."
    The rythm section have turned 30; Banks and Kessler are in their mid-20.
    "We had day jobs for a long time before all this happened," says Banks. "I'm not...Bez. I mean, I'm finding it such a treat that we're allowed to smoke indoors here. In New York, Guliani got rid of all the so-called decadence."

So what would be your favoured response to Interpol's music?
    "Some degree of mental stimulation," muses Fogarino, "while you're shakin' your ass."
    "It's not a total blow-you-away rock'n'roll adrenalin rush," adds Dengler. "We don't have that luxury. What we offer involves other emotions, which are difficult to communicate other than on that deep, deep level."
    "Y'know when you feel somebody staring at you?" asks Fogarino. "No matter what they're trying to project, positive or negative, whether they want to beat you up or kiss you - you feel it. So, magnify that by, like, 3000. Intense, yeah? Well, that's what playing in Interpol feels like to me."

The band's debut album, 2002's Turn On The Bright Lights, took a while to grow from indie cult to stylish near-crossover. The melancholy track "NYC" was monumentally moving. While other white-hot-and-cool NY bands blazed brazenly, Interpol glided on slow burn. As Banks says, "It's been gradual, organic."
    Word of mouth preceeded media blitz, and they boast a fervent flock of fans who hang on the singer's every cryptic line.
    "It's more like...a body of meaning," he mutters, dodging any direct questions about his lyrics with a five-minute ramble about how "tangentially broaching" things "allows an evocative quality."

The new album, Antics, is a consolidation of, and development within, their sound and ethos. It murmurs of big love and big death, and every lean note counts. It will be adored by indie students (drowning in post-teen angst) and old Television/ long mac/ goth fans (pining for post-teen angst). Its darkly brilliant precision eshews flatulence, pining the moon on the marquee. Interpol dig Lynch, Jarmusch, Bunuel, Herzog, French new wave and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    "We agree more on favourite directors than we do on musicians," says Dengler. "Maybe that's why people say we sound cinematic."
    English-born Banks and Kessler first met at summer school in Paris. By 2000, they were forming Interpol at NYU with college radio DJ Denger, and soon drafted in Fogarino - they liked his Rat Pack look. Style and substance dovetail here.
    "The presentation's important," they say. "We're concerned about every last tidbit of how people know us as a band."
    Antics is written from a "less black" place than the debut, according to Banks.
    "I've evolved," he says. "But it has to be pure, and true to your sense of self, or you're taking all the joy out of your life."
    "He's cheered up a little bit," decides Dengler.
    "I don't know about that," adds Fogarino, "but...there's hope."
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Aug 9 2007, 07:02 AM)
    ok, found some magazine on the interpol message board:
    [i dont think its recent]
    and supposedly the new singles are:
    mammoth in the uk
    no i in threesome in the us

[interesting }:] i hope they make the vid for no i in threesome biggrin.gif]

edit, an old article. nice and short smile.gif:

lovely articles, vinnie! you're my official connection to all things Interpol now!

hmm i wonder what single aus will get... i hope no i in threesome! (for the video tongue.gif) Oh and Mammoth will have to be radio edited, shame. I love it when Paul swears, it feels so "organic" laugh.gif They love that word!

your sig is hot and that line from Pioneer is so amazing and moving! I get a bit annnoyed because it's just too long to fit in an msn name and the likes.
  • ^^
    haha, awww.
    and the vid!! }:] its exciting. its prob gonna be another heinrich or something. i doubt it'll be anything like juicebox blink.gif haha
    i hate radio edits. its prob gonna be shorter too, they should totally go for no i in threesome.

oh, and yes, how could by sig not be hot??!?! impossible!
  • haha juicebox! the only strokes video i haven't got saved on my computer!

I'm sick of the arty videos. I just want the band looking gorgeous and making sweet music for a video. Is that too much to ask!?
    But then again they don't have to be making music in the video for threesome. If you know what I mean... wink.gif

wub.gif
    edit:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM
  • they decided a while ago that they extremely disliked actually being in their vids. Hence "Evil" and "Heinrich"
    and then they ruined that with C'mere, I just realized.
    so while it's probably unlikely that they do any sort of performance vid... it's still possible??? I dunno.

oh well, whatever it is, it'll be awesome, although I agree that the arty ones get boring after a while. I vote for either a performance or another one like Evil, cause that one's just amazing.

and in that second article, Vinnie, I LOVE Carlos's reaction to the guy's question:
    "Did you expect us to be sitting here damaged by substance abuse? Is that what you're saying?"

=P
    duh
    I love them...

I remember the first time I saw them was in the music video for "Slow Hands" and I didn't really like it, or them, at all.. I just liked the song.
    The first time I saw them and fell in love was the Spin cover in April of 2005... it's up on my wall.... all four of them are so absolutely gorgeous in that picture <3<3

ooh ooh ooh, and if Daniel's been taking "sexy pills", I wanna see new pictures!!!!!! <3 Cause I didn't know he could get hotter than he was!
    Same goes for Paul, too, actually.
    wub.gif

haha yes! that made me laugh!

i did hear they didnt want to be in any more videos.. another evil!? hmm puppets and threesomes.. odd

milky, i'll find you some sexy pills pics!!! it would be my pleasure!

edit: 700 posts! and some pics!
    Daniel:

Paul and Daniel on sexy pills:
  • hahaha, well I didn't mean puppets necessarily, just something lighter, I guess. I dunno, Evil makes me happy inside. I want another happy-ish video (haha Interpol...happy)

I love how in almost every picture of the band, Dan is like, shifty-eyeing the camera. Like, he never looks at it straight on, he always turns to the side and like, slyly peeks at it wub.gif

Carlos does the same thing, but sometimes he'll look at it straight on.
    Paul almost always looks at it straight on, or looks far away.
    Sam almost always is looking off into the distance, like he's trying to pretend the camera doesn't exist.
    And then you'd step outside onto a suburban street and maybe walk to the 7-Eleven for a twinkie

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Paul still loves his Twinkies and Ho-Hos!!! Even though he's slimmed down... or at least, he remembers them fondly. ahhhh how I miss Interpol's captions thread. sosososososo much.
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I've decided that I can live with Carlos's 'stache. And I like his hair much better all fluffy and pretty as opposed to slicked onto the side of his face. It's much handsomer, although less vampiric.
  • I think Carlos looks younger with his hair like that, it's definately less intense...
    i think my head is going to explode if i have to think anymore about vampires ugh! I just finished writing a speech about Dracula, so no vampire talk please!!!

I hear all these wonderful things about the old captions thread, i wish i could see it!
  • QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Aug 9 2007, 03:00 AM)
    wub.gif
    edit:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM

omg, u beat me to it, well its not the 9th here yet, but w/e. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!!! i love u [a little too much, hehe]!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Aug 9 2007, 03:26 AM)
    Paul and Daniel on sexy pills:

awwwww

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

i love it when they smile

MORE articles! [im bored, haha]:
    QUOTE (CurePol @ Aug 7 2007, 05:07 PM)
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Aug 9 2007, 01:44 PM)
    omg, u beat me to it, well its not the 9th here yet, but w/e. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!!! i love u [a little too much, hehe]!!!!!!!
    awwwww

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

i love it when they smile

MORE articles! [im bored, haha]:

it's the 9th here so it's all good!

they have such lovely smiles! it's happy Interpol! mabye we'll see more of that in the new video... but i doubt it

"It's official, Interpol have split up!" That scared the life out of me! haha
  • ^^
    haha, awww

they should be in their videos, but i guess if its something they dont like, then i can live with weird, random, vague ones.
  • YAYAYAYAY
    Happy Birthday SAM!!

(it's officially the 9th here, too. just what, two and a half hours to go, Vinnie? something like that, I'm no good at time zones.)

ahhhhh JB I love you for those Daniel pictures!!!!!!!!! I love Daniel!!
    That first one made my heart stop. honestly.
    <3

wub.gif

EDIT: HAHAHA "Paul's Dalek-esque vocals" I love British people.
    Thank you for that article Vinnie!
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Aug 9 2007, 02:23 PM)
    ahhhhh JB I love you for those Daniel pictures!!!!!!!!! I love Daniel!!
    That first one made my heart stop. honestly.
    <3

wub.gif

EDIT: HAHAHA "Paul's Dalek-esque vocals" I love British people.
    Thank you for that article Vinnie!

awwww wub.gif
    I love geeky british people the most!!
  • omg JB, ur sig = sexy }:], ur avatar = scary :s

some other articles:
    QUOTE (CurePol @ Aug 3 2007, 07:06 PM) p1
    http://interpolarchives.com/photos/display...e.php?pos=-3901

p2
    http://interpolarchives.com/photos/display...e.php?pos=-3899

QUOTE (CurePol @ Aug 3 2007, 07:10 PM)

omg, interpol is amazing - saving marriages one at a time. haha.

Interpol: Behind the Scenes : Sentimentalist Magazine Online Exclusive
    July 27th, 2007 · 6 Comments

We thought it would be a small thrill to take you behind the scenes for the cover photo shoot we did for Sentimentalist Magazine 25, in addition to giving some background on the NYC magazine that has followed the band since their humble beginnings. We hope you enjoy it.

Who knew it would be so difficult to organize a photo shoot for a local New York band? Wait… I just remembered. Interpol is no longer just another local New York band. They’re gearing up for a show at Madison Square Garden in September, after all.

I remember the first Interpol interview I did with Sam Fogarino and Carlos D. at NYC’s Union Square Virgin Megastore café. That was way back in the Spring of 2002. Sam was at the counter ordering his beverage, wearing a dapper thrift store suit, with his back to me. I tapped him on the shoulder and said, ‘hey Carlos.’ When he turned around, I was, of course, suitably embarrassed. To my credit, I was told I was only meeting Carlos, who I had known through the NYC music scene and who incidentally, was also known to wear dapper suits.

When Carlos arrived, we brought our coffees over to the Northwest corner of Union Square Park, sat on a bench and chatted about everything from Led Zeppelin to Interpol opening for Ash and what a huge Hip Hop fan Paul Banks was. At that point in the band’s career, they hadn’t yet signed with Matador. I later found out that they had inked their record deal a few days after the interview, (which appeared in Sentimentalist Magazine issue 9).

Two years later, Sentimentalist Magazine featured Interpol as its cover artists for issue 16. That second interview again featured gentleman drummer Sam Fogarino, and a very distracted Paul Banks. Sam was relieved to have finished their second record; he was rapturous throughout the interview. Paul, on the other hand, needed to be somewhere else more important at the time, which turned out to be a block away, and so he called in via cell phone. Unfortunately, Paul’s low cell phone battery led him to pay more attention to it than the questions he was being asked. Right before his cell battery died for good, he promised to run home and call me back from his land-line. I’m still waiting for the call… No worries Paul.

2007 sees a much more confident and an even better “turned out” Interpol. Gone are the Beacon’s Closet secondhand suit treasures. They’re now replaced with high end designer threads from Barney’s New York or custom-tailored garments courtesy of Cloak or Anthony Malat of Sinner/Saint. With all this style and musical substance, what better band to be the first to be featured twice on the cover of Sentimentalist Magazine?

Photographer Scott Irvine, who shot the Interpol cover for Sentimentalist Magazine issue 16, was again called on to shoot them for issue 25. Irvine was the perfect lensman for the job, having been credited, among other things, for taking the first ever Interpol promo picture.

This time around, Irvine began scouting locations in Brooklyn, since that’s where we were told the shoot would take place. However, on the day of the shoot, we were informed that the band was now going to be in Manhattan. As a very low key and flexible photographer, Irvine rolled with the relocation and scouted a very cool locale in the West Village. As it turned out, the location couldn’t have been more convenient because the band was doing another shoot before ours, and it happened to be just one floor above where we were set up.

Carlos was the first to come out of the elevator and into the courtyard where we were waiting. Unfortunately, he was just taking his dashing Italian Greyhound “Gaius” out for a pee. At least his presence confirmed that the band was in fact in the vicinity.

Photo shoots are a lot like Thanksgiving dinners; They may take hours, even days to prepare and only minutes to eat/shoot. But that’s fine, it was a lovely spring day to spend outside waiting for old friends to turn up. The whole band finally arrived and introductions only took seconds since we all knew each other. Sam was very excited to find out that Irvine was taking the picture and Carlos and I spent a few moments reminiscing about our first chat together in Union Square Park all those years ago. Paul, unfortunately, couldn’t utter a word to anyone, needing to rest his vocal chords for their upcoming tour. I guess silence, combined with chain smoking, is the new non-medical vocal chord cure-all.

While Carlos’s well-trained pup was making friends with Sentimentalist Magazine’s mascot, (the Chinese Crested called Odette), and locating every discarded, ketchup-dowsed French fry in the area, Irvine and his assistant Kelly Starbuck went to work capturing another piece of music history. We couldn’t have been more pleased with the end result, but you can judge for yourself.
    –Chris David

link with pics: http://sentimentalistmag.com/blog/2007/07/...lusive/#more-42

i think gaius is a taurus too ohmy.gif haha
  • Interpol at Lollapalooza.

• Ooo Jaded, they're gorgeous! Did you take them yourself? You were so lucky to be there!! I'm super jealous!

QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Aug 10 2007, 06:38 AM)
    omg JB, ur sig = sexy }:], ur avatar = scary :s

i think gaius is a taurus too ohmy.gif haha

thanks! but i think my avatar is sexy too!

I love Gaius so much!!!
    Thanks for the articles! I must be honest I don't have time to read them all now, but i will later!
  • I did take those. They're grainy because I was far from the stage; so take note that zoom + digital zoom + night time = bad, grainy photos.

But yeah, they were amazing. I only stayed for five songs because I had to see another concert that night [my friend is in a band and I told him I would attend], but they were great. I also took a video of Slow Hands.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FyR3WJAO6dU

It's not very good quality, because, again, I was far away and my zoom wasn't being nice.

I also have other videos from Lollapalooza on YouTube, as well. Yay for video/digital cameras.
  • I've watched the official broadcast from Lollapalooza, which is better quality, but I really liked yours it just captured the atmosphere perfectly.
    Thanks so much for posting the link <3

Shame you only got to see 5 songs, at least you were there though!
    I can't wait until Interpol come down under, and they will come down under!!
  • ^^haha, awwwwww

jaded, those pics/vid are/is SEXY!!!

thanks a lot

paul in rolling stone [which i have!!! right here!!! next to me!!!! and i've licked it...unsure.gif]:

wigger, hahahhaha
    and awwwwww, he was fat...awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

wub.gif wub.gif
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Aug 11 2007, 12:35 PM)
    paul in rolling stone [which i have!!! right here!!! next to me!!!! and i've licked...unsure.gif]:
    wub.gif wub.gif

blink.gif o-kay...

laugh.gif

Aww chubby paulie!!!
    I liked it better when he had some meat on his bones... although the muscles are nice

edit: i was looking for a picture of chubby paul but i got distracted by his smile
    Isn't is melt-worthy??

Oooo- another one!
    awwwwwwwwwww