In this Discussion

Ghostly encounters and such

13»

Comments

• QUOTE (tonetoile @ Aug 14 2007, 12:48 AM)
    You don't sound like a pompous jerk at all, in fact you sound like quite the opposite. I just like discussions, though I realize my comments can come across as patronizing rather when I mean them to be made out of curiosity.

Thanks. And you're not patronizing at all- it's nice to discuss with you smile.gif

I know very little about quantum mechanics, though I find it intensely interesting. Unfortunately, all I know revolves around What the Bleep Do We Know?

I've never head of that, and just wiki'ed it. It doesn't sound all that trustworthy, especially after clicking on Dr. Albert's page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Albert
    I think the best guide to "popular" physics, at least in terms of astrophysics and astronomy, tho he does go into other stuff too, is Stephen Hawking.

I'd be wary of most science for the masses books/movies. A lot of people who don't actually study the field get on high horses (case in point: the never ending slew of documentaries and books by right-wing conservatives against evolution).

I'm sure there's some informative and trustworthy material out there, but to be honest, I tend not to read many popular science books so can't list any off the top of my head. Actually, this summer I've mostly been playing with Photoshop. Anyway, in the classroom, textbook quantum mech is "let's kill ourselves doing esoteric math." The fun part of physics kind of dies.
    Googled for an example of solving a nondegenerative perturbation prob w/ hamiltonians to show what I mean: http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmec...es/node103.html

I'm definitely one of the more stupid people in my class, but I have a smart friend who reads absolutely everything, and I'll ask her for a book to recommend if you want.

Actually, I'd just like to say here that I probly shouldn't have posted in this thread in the first place, and I'm afraid I've offended some people. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to sound like...like somebody I'd want to slap. But I did. Sorry.

Christine, I can understand why you'd want to believe. But it's kind of like when we say to a child, "What's the only explanation for those new toys under that tree? A morbidly obese elderly man had to have flown through the sky on his reindeer, led by one with a luminescent nose. He landed on our roof and squeezed through the chimney- it's the only explanation!" It is an explanation, and it's fun to believe, but it doesn't really get us anywhere.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 14 2007, 03:36 PM)
    I think the best guide to "popular" physics, at least in terms of astrophysics and astronomy, tho he does go into other stuff too, is Stephen Hawking.

I'm sure there's some informative and trustworthy material out there, but to be honest, I tend not to read many popular science books so can't list any off the top of my head.

Actually, I'd just like to say here that I probly shouldn't have posted in this thread in the first place, and I'm afraid I've offended some people. I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to sound like...like somebody I'd want to slap. But I did. Sorry.

First of all, I'd like to apologize as well in case I've offended anyone. But I don't think you sounded like someone I'd want to slap, Sally - you've given reasoned arguments and there's no problem with that.

Also, if you're looking for science books, I'd strongly recommend Richard Dawkins, who is a British scientist. He's one of my heroes and has written several books on evolution and the origins of life through natural selection (The Blind Watchmaker, River Out Of Eden). But he's a very strong atheist and doesn't believe in any form of spiritual supernaturalism, and might be offensive to people who do believe in that sort of thing. The God Delusion is a good one for the argument against those beliefs, if anyone's interested. And as Sally mentioned, A Brief History Of Time or A Briefer History Of Time by Stephen Hawking are also fascinating.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 14 2007, 09:36 AM)
    (case in point: the never ending slew of documentaries and books by right-wing conservatives against evolution).

[tangent]

I never understood how creation and evolution were mutually exclusive. But I'm not terribly well read on either subject, so what do I know?

[/tangent]
  • everything is just magic...did you know that magic is the spirit of illusion?!??! hahaa
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 14 2007, 10:36 AM)

QUOTE (Electra @ Aug 14 2007, 05:29 PM)
    First of all, I'd like to apologize as well in case I've offended anyone. But I don't think you sounded like someone I'd want to slap, Sally - you've given reasoned arguments and there's no problem with that.

I personally think it's great that both of you posted in here, I haven't taken any offense at all. I enjoy hearing other's opinions, especially on things like this.

QUOTE (Tabetha @ Aug 14 2007, 10:36 AM)
    Christine, I can understand why you'd want to believe. But it's kind of like when we say to a child, "What's the only explanation for those new toys under that tree? A morbidly obese elderly man had to have flown through the sky on his reindeer, led by one with a luminescent nose. He landed on our roof and squeezed through the chimney- it's the only explanation!" It is an explanation, and it's fun to believe, but it doesn't really get us anywhere.

Mhmm, mhmm.
    I do believe that ghosts and such are possible, and probably will no matter what others say, but I will always question it.
  • I give it possible, but improbable.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Aug 14 2007, 05:29 PM)
    Also, if you're looking for science books, I'd strongly recommend Richard Dawkins, who is a British scientist. He's one of my heroes and has written several books on evolution and the origins of life through natural selection (The Blind Watchmaker, River Out Of Eden). But he's a very strong atheist and doesn't believe in any form of spiritual supernaturalism, and might be offensive to people who do believe in that sort of thing. The God Delusion is a good one for the argument against those beliefs, if anyone's interested.

I'm going to get those tomorrow; they sound really good. If they're not in stock, I'm gonna make somebody order them. Thanks, Alice.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Aug 13 2007, 07:23 PM)
    I don't know if I believe in ghosts or not, not in the typical sense at least. I do, however, very much believe in spiritual presences. I don't really believe in the typical phantom, white ghostly body, but I very much believe in presences and hauntings.

When I was little, one of my friends was in a bad home situation. Her grandparents were often drunk and it seems as though her parents were in a similar situation. I only went over there once and remember feeling mildly terrified. My mom wouldn't let me go over again; she felt betrayed that my friend's mom hadn't told her about her home situation. My mom wouldn't have cared if my friend came over, she just didn't want me in a dangerous situation. My friend moved away and I unfortunately never kept in touch (I hope she's alright). Still, the house gave me the willies whenever I happened to drive by on my way from my house to town.

When I started dating my boyfriend and told him where I lived, he said that his mom lived right nearby. I asked him to describe the house and, as he continued, it was with growing horror that I realized that the house he was describing was my friend's old house. He told me that his mom and stepdad found the house in terrible shape (no sheetrock on some walls, rooms without paint, old stains, dirty everything) and renovated it from top to bottom. He said it was unrecognizable. He offered to take me over sometime and I had a minor freakout.

Still, one day we drove over. When I walked it, it was completely different, as he said. The house looked beautiful and new and shiny, wonderfully decorated and cared for. I talked with his Mom and both she and my boyfriend agreed that, though renovated, the house occasionally has a "bad vibe." When walking in, people have commented on whether or not something bad had previously happened in the house.

It's odd how houses have a distinct feel. Like a pet, one can tell if it's been abused or has bad memories. It's not a haunting per say, but I think it's pretty close.

I love when people think this... I agree. I have a series of abandoned buildings, and I love that vibe... I try to show it through my photography...make people wonder what happened like that... it's up on my website www.mbakerphotography.com if you want to go look.

I believe in ghosts, I love Ghost Hunters.
  • Jesus.

Well, I know where not to hang around next Hallowe'en.
  • QUOTE (dobug @ Aug 16 2007, 02:46 AM)
    I love when people think this... I agree. I have a series of abandoned buildings, and I love that vibe... I try to show it through my photography...make people wonder what happened like that... it's up on my website www.mbakerphotography.com if you want to go look.
    I believe in ghosts, I love Ghost Hunters.

I remember you posting your pictures; they absolutely amazing. As I remember, your pictures do convey that feeling very much, the life of the house and the presence it has. Amazing.
  • They really do! They kinda creeped me out as I was looking at them.