In this Discussion

The official Album number 3 thread

Comments

• QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 13 2010, 05:44 PM)
    Cuuuuuute, ytel! And I love love love what you've done with the sky!

Besides lyrics, are there any cool pics in the booklet? And what does the cd look like?

Thanks! and i think all your questions have been answered already.... i was a lil bummed that pix of the acutal guys weren't in here, but all the other stuff is pretty amazing and thought out. I like Becky's picture. =)
  • Its still not available here in the Netherlands.
    Anyone can tell if its in stock in Germany and the UK?

I guess I'll pick up a copy at the concert next week..
  • We all need to go rate the new album and leave a review at Amazon. It only has a 2 1/2 star rating right now. Go tell them why you love Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky!
  • Artistically, I love the album. Technically, though, I've noticed one annoying problem, at least on the iTunes version: the album seems to be mastered way too hot. I get clipping distortion on many loud parts, particularly the big bass drums. I've experimented with volume controls, with the equalizer, with playing it on two different computers and my iPhone, but to no success; the problem appears to be with the source files.

I know OK Go has used clipping and distortion purposefully in past albums, but this seems different; it doesn't seem intentional. And unfortunately, I feel like it's hurting some of the excellent songs on this album. Has anybody else experienced this? Can anybody confirm whether all album copies sound like this, or just the iTunes one?
  • Well, I do know that the iTunes version is different from the CD version if only because Last Leaf is shorter on iTunes versus the CD. (The iTunes version cuts off the first 10 seconds of Last Leaf where you can hear all the frogs and someone saying "do it again".)

I don't know why there are differences betwixt the two, but there apparently are.
  • I have the CD and while there is distortion I have not noticed any clipping at the loud parts.
  • QUOTE (Sunnyside1334 @ Jan 15 2010, 10:31 AM)
    I have the CD and while there is distortion I have not noticed any clipping at the loud parts.

I'm wondering if I should complain to iTunes, and download the FLAC or Apple Lossless copy instead. I've had this problem with them before -- an album I bought actually had tiny skips in it.
  • That's strange, I have the iTunes version and I didn't notice any problems like that. You might have a bad download?
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jan 15 2010, 10:50 AM)
    That's strange, I have the iTunes version and I didn't notice any problems like that. You might have a bad download?

Nah, I doubt it -- a bad download would more likely cause skips in a few songs. Chances are the album is simply mastered that way and I'm being overly sensitive about it. I hear you start complaining about loud music once you start getting older. wink.gif
  • I've been so out of the OK Go-ness! ohmy.gif Honestly, at first I wasn't sure about the new album. The first song I heard from it was Skyscrapers...not my favorite. I really didn't like it much at all sad.gif I wasn't really that crazy about WTF either.

But I've been listening to the album on Myspace and I'm warming up to the songs. They're just so different from how they used to sound. I think the biggest thing is just getting used to it; though I still don't like Skyscrapers or WTF very much, and I still like the old sound better, but for the most part the new stuff isn't bad, just different. I really like All Is Not Lost. And the video and song This Too Shall Pass is awesome. The other songs are pretty good too. And I'm sure I'll like it all better the more I listen to it.
  • I agree Rebekker! I like it a lot but it takes some getting used to the different style. I can totally see how it was inspired by soul music. All in all, I always love new OK Go-ness and all that comes with it.
  • Oh shit.

This album is amazing.

Yes, I only listened to it just now. Sixteen year old me would be ashamed.
  • ive seen a few blogs or articles or whateves online dissing ok go about the geotagging and not being able to embedd the video

Damian even rebuttled in one of them

http://newteevee.com/2010/01/12/whose-faul...#comment-276178

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100114/0812497756.shtml

is this old news?

but yeah. some of the comments make me mad. I wonder what it was about this album that emi got more control over thier videos like that?
  • I really like the new album and it's continuing to settle in to my brain with every listen. The soundscape is sooo lovely on this album. But it's definitely not going to be one I'm going to want to listen to when I need an emotional lift because it's kind of sad sad.gif
    I wasn't sure at first either, when they were first talking about having a lot of prince influence. I am a huge prince (0+> fan so that seemed like it might have been difficult for me to reconcile in my brain. Some of the songs are so similar!! I mean drum sounds, vocal processing, phrasing..so similar to early Prince.
    But yeah, it's good. I like.

• And let me just state for the record that I do remember waaaaay back, (when Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore started the suggestions for the 3rd album thread) I remember specifically stating that it would be cool to include a CHILDREN'S CHOIR somewhere in the new material. Just sayin... smile.gif

lol

• QUOTE (agentnumone @ Jan 17 2010, 10:17 AM)
    ive seen a few blogs or articles or whateves online dissing ok go about the geotagging and not being able to embedd the video

Damian even rebuttled in one of them

http://newteevee.com/2010/01/12/whose-faul...#comment-276178

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100114/0812497756.shtml

is this old news?

but yeah. some of the comments make me mad. I wonder what it was about this album that emi got more control over thier videos like that?

Yeah, I linked that in the TTSP video threads. It pissed me off too.
  • This album is simply amazing. When I first heard Skyscrapers a while back, I was less than enthused. So then going into WTF and I Want You, I was pretty nervous. But I loved them really quickly. So I was hopeful about liking the album in its entirety, and I was not let down. biggrin.gif I listened to it from start to finish immediately, of course, and when Skyscrapers came up, I was so afraid I'd dislike it again. But I promised myself I'd make my peace with it, and that I did. I actually like it now. It gets better with every listen, as do the rest of the songs. I think I'd call the album a triumph in awesomeness. wub.gif

I definitely agree about the general melancholy feel. I've found it's actually perfect for studying though, oddly enough. It's been getting me through my Latin for days now, and I think it'll get me through all my classes for the rest of this school year. biggrin.gif
  • Let's speculate:

What do you think the song "In the Glass" is about?
  • QUOTE (bullshituous @ Jan 18 2010, 09:32 PM)
    Let's speculate:

What do you think the song "In the Glass" is about?

Sorry I'm not gonna speculate because I think Damian actually talked about this in the video chat this past Saturday. IIRC it's about a guy looking through a mirror at all the mistakes his other self has made or something to that effect. All the links to the video chat are in this thread: http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=4167

Don't mean to dash any speculations, but since he actually said what it was about, I figured we could speculate about a different song. Which song? No idea. You pick.