In this Discussion

Boardie White Knuckles Video Idea/Project

Comments

• I agree with you and DJRose, that trying to keep the framing as close as possible to the original dance booth would be best for cohesiveness, unless anybody wanted some close-up moments to make it look like a zoom-in.

I was thinking that other than sewing the pieces together, some 80s themed visual affects could be added, like a monochrome in some spots.

I am wondering though if everyone should dance to the whole song so that the moves could follow the music accordingly, instead of just placing a few seconds of random dancing to the music, you know what I mean? b/c if everyone just sends a few seconds, it would be hard to fit it with the music, unless we divided up the song into assigned parts (but that would be unnecessarily complicated, I think).

You can email me or send it through yousendit.com if it's too large (which it will be if we do the whole song). But I'm wondering if the boys would rather have their own editing team do it? Or is it more like the Boardies do the project and then the boys and their edting team polish it?

• My first try of dancing for the video I did try to dance the whole song...but I ran out of dance moves quite quickly :/ anyway, I'm thinking that you should do one move for four beats so:

1) you probably will be able to think of enough moves for the whole song

2) it'll be easier to edit in different people's parts as there's a specific count

Also, what else can we put onto the USB? you know, use up the rest of the space?

I was thinking maybe a little video blog for them i.e. a message, introduction of yourself if you havent been to see or met them yet, or a reaccount of certain memories you have of them...something like that so it adds a little connection instead of just being a present for them.

• Grapies said:

I am wondering though if everyone should dance to the whole song so that the moves could follow the music accordingly, instead of just placing a few seconds of random dancing to the music, you know what I mean? b/c if everyone just sends a few seconds, it would be hard to fit it with the music, unless we divided up the song into assigned parts (but that would be unnecessarily complicated, I think).

Yeah, I was thinking that we would just dance through the whole song. It's only 3 minutes long, no biggie.

squashedbanana said:

My first try of dancing for the video I did try to dance the whole song...but I ran out of dance moves quite quickly :/ anyway, I'm thinking that you should do one move for four beats so:

1) you probably will be able to think of enough moves for the whole song

2) it'll be easier to edit in different people's parts as there's a specific count

Also, what else can we put onto the USB? you know, use up the rest of the space?

I was thinking maybe a little video blog for them i.e. a message, introduction of yourself if you havent been to see or met them yet, or a reaccount of certain memories you have of them...something like that so it adds a little connection instead of just being a present for them.

If you repeat some dance moves, I don't think it will matter much. Chances are, after it's edited, we won't see you do the same dance move twice. And if we do, it won't be the end of the world. Hell, I have like two dance moves, so I'm gonna be repeating. A lot.

And since they are entertaining the idea of editing themselves and maybe dancing a little bit, too, I don't see the need for the USB anymore as they'll already have a copy of the video.

• I just stressed myself out with the arbitratary deadline.

Forget July! I wish I could go edit my posts. Now I understand why aross said he was sorry we had to use a crappy board! HE said crappy, so I can too!

Okay, I'll dance for the full song! I can do it! (screaming in mortification!)

Perhaps post here -for backup/safety AND send to Grapies (as anyone told you that you are loved today?), so she could get all the footage to them at once - rather than have them collect it all and keep track of vid bits, we should probably compile it ourselves.

Let's get this off the ground and give them a boat-load of footage! (Thanks for the encouragement, Mike!)

• Apparently, I'm a masochist. I made 4 different videos. Each are loosely based on some of the dancers from the original Dance Booth vid.

I have a mic, therefore I'm Damian.

In which I stand there.

Dancing and lip-syncing, like ya do.

Just dance. I guess I like to snap my fingers. A lot.

And now y'all know what I look like at weddings and concerts. Well, not the standing one, that would just be rude.

• YOU ARE SO MY HERO, BECKY! Here! Have a cookie! I love the blue color of your sheet! And, your cat is cute!

I need to go borrow my friend's camera again - but I still have custody of the blue sheet!

• Seriously, beckysioux, you are brave and awesome!  Thanks for blazing the way.  My kids start summer school on Monday, so I'll finally have some time to myself to start working on this next week.  Can't wait to contribute!
  • That's pretty fabulous, Becky!

Taking a drink = brilliant.

And I was planning on getting out my confetti, too! (I may still do it.)

• Ha, this is such a cool idea. Can't wait to see the finished product. Laugh

• mikerosenthal said:Hey guys, I told the band about this idea this weekend and they think it's awesome. If it gets off the ground here and a lot of footage gets shot, they may be able to help with some editing. I might even try to convince them to contribute some dance moves (in cognito?) as well…Just FYI.

OMG!!! Thanks a lot, Mike!! :) That would be amazing!!

@Becky  I like your last two videos most!! And the 2nd one is funny ^^ Your cat is so sweet =)

Well, I've made my video 2 weeks ago and up to that time it wasn't known that we have to stand that close to the camera, because of the frames and so on. I hope it isn't that bad that I was standing a bit further afar!

I've made 4 takes and picked the best scenes and put it in one video.

I simply look totally insane in this video!! Even my mum was wondering what I was doing there! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....bpOZQ2zHoY

I set it private ,because not everyone has to see me freaking out to "White Knuckles"

…only in the end product it's okay Wink

EDIT: Well, of course every boardie is allowed to see the video,but not everyone in my class should watch the whole thing,you know what I mean?? ^^

• Thanks everyone for the compliments. Now, what are you all waiting for? Let's see some more vids posted!

PinkMuffin said:

Well, I've made my video 2 weeks ago and up to that time it wasn't known that we have to stand that close to the camera, because of the frames and so on. I hope it isn't that bad that I was standing a bit further afar!

I simply look totally insane in this video!! Even my mum was wondering what I was doing there! :D

I set it private ,because not everyone has to see me freaking out to "White Knuckles"

EDIT: Well, of course every boardie is allowed to see the video,but not everyone in my class should watch the whole thing,you know what I mean?? ^^

Unfortunately, I can't view it. Instead of making it private, can you post it as unlisted? That way only those who have the website addy can view it and it won't show up on your YouTube page. And then we can see what you've done.

• beckysioux said:

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Now, what are you all waiting for? Let's see some more vids posted!

PinkMuffin said:

Unfortunately, I can't view it. Instead of making it private, can you post it as unlisted? That way only those who have the website addy can view it and it won't show up on your YouTube page. And then we can see what you've done.

Well, I was searching this "unlisted function" and I found out that it doesn't exist for Germany's YouTube community!! I simply created a new YouTube account!! So now you should be able to watch it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....u_lDBxSk-8
  • Okay. I have got to get my butt in gear on this video! I'M going to try to get my mom to dance too. She's an OK Go fan as well and she's a much better dancer than I am.
  • Sunnyside said:Okay. I have got to get my butt in gear on this video! I'M going to try to get my mom to dance too. She's an OK Go fan as well and she's a much better dancer than I am.

YAY! You should really convince her of dancing in the video as well!! My mum would never ever do so! :D

I'm so curious about the videos of the other boardies!! So come on boardies!! Let's dance!! (Put on your red shoes and dance the blues! Wink)

• oh shit. white knuckles is my favorite song.

looks like i'll have to participate too...

• >hip bump<

Hey, I still have to borrow the camera again, for the finalized vid, but didn't want this thread to drop!

So, even though my final vid isn't up, I'm still going to say: Let's Go! =D

• I don't have a camera, but I am a professional editor if I can help in that way let me know!  :)

• Grapies volunteered for editor duty, but maybe you two can message each other about ideas (or if Grapies would like to defer? Don't want to pressure anyone!)

Whaddaya mean you don't have a camera!?! You're a professional editor! (Okay, I don't own a camera either,  but I'm an 'administrative assistant'!!) We want to see you dance!! And need as much footage as possible!

• violetchaos364 said:

Whaddaya mean you don't have a camera!?! You're a professional editor! (Okay, I don't own a camera either,  but I'm an 'administrative assistant'!!) We want to see you dance!! And need as much footage as possible!

I thought that, too. Until I sheepishly realized that I've never owned ANY kind of recording equipment despite studying audio production for a while.

I was without a working phone for a bit, and a friend of a friend heard and gallantly, and unexpectedly, dropped by to give me a set of landlines that he explained had been new but went unused when his wife got something through her work. So he had them sitting in the attic for a future garage sale. As we geeked out about shared DIY punk memories (even though he's older than me. I started young!) and the albums that "changed it all" for us ("London Calling" and "Surfer Rosa"), and it became clearer and clearer that we could do that all day and, if we did, he'd miss picking up his daughter, so I thanked him for reading my FB posts and coming to my rescue like a knight in shiny steel-toed boots. Then I casually commented that I can't understand why no one else takes me seriously when I post things (like, "I need a phone", "I think we must post/podcast these Elvis Costello parodies as soon as possible" or "Who has a video camera/recording set up I can borrow? I need to be creative immediately!"

He said, "You need video?" And I said, "Of course! Not quite sure for what yet, but yeah. Why do people think I'm joking? What happened to the whole community spirit that was misnamed DIY?" And he said, "I have a camera. It's yours if you want it."

:D

He used to do a pretty popular punk podcast, apparently, and that's the camera he used. Of course, I'm not sure when he'll drop it by, and I haven't used video equipment since I was 13, so who knows what may come of this (Not keen on dancing or being on camera anymore, exactly, plus I literally haven't got a way to hang a blue screen, but IF I can make the camera work, I may just have to dance in celebration, despite myself!).

The lesson here, my darlings, is ask and ye shall get video. Or at least, a video camera.

• I'm up for anything guys, just going with the flow, so whatever you decide :-)