In this Discussion

180/365

Comments

• Well that's that then.  Now I won't be tempted anymore.  Although my husband would have K-I-L-L-E-D me if I had spent that much.  He already puts up with my tromping up and down the East Coast to see them with (almost) no complaining.
  • beckysioux said:

Katie made it back to the Boards! Yay!!

BTW, kids, they posted a few pics from The Book!!! Click here to get to them. It is on the main page, but if you're lazy like me, just click the link.

Can I just say that these are so much more than what I was expecting?! I am so excited to see the rest of them, y'all just don't know. (It also helps that three of the pics in the previews are from the Milwaukee show on 10/30/10.)

I thought that was Milwaukee 10/30/10!!! Schweet.

Now to buy that package... oh, money! :/
  • Here's a sweet lil article abt the new album: http://mashable.com/2011/06/20/ok-go-180-365/

Includes a streaming version of the new album...and ZOMG. just when I thought Skyscrapers couldn't get any grittier/dirtier/sexier etcetc... o.O 

THE KULASH IS OUT FOR BLOOD. thaz all I'm saying. x
  • Okay, I finally pre-ordered the album on like, the last day of pre-order. No special packages though, that I can't afford. Just the physical thing. And now I'm awaiting the arrival of the album, hopes, dreams, and the tube of confetti.

Plus, I'm really lovin' the two bonus tracks. Especially the Return on handbells; it really reminds me of when they played it in concert.
  • Who else just can't stop listening to it?
  • I haven't heard it yet!  Streaming just doesn't work for my lifestyle, unfortunately, so I'm waiting for the files. 
  • I haven't heard it yet either. I couldn't figure out how to make it work when I got home. I'm not as tech savvy as I may appear to be.

Here's an article on the album from the AV Club. It's doesn't exactly sing high praises for it, but I think this is how I feel about the album, even though I haven't listened to it.

OK Go: 180/365

The knob-twiddling coda of “Needing/Getting” falls flat, the
    Pavement-esque outro on “Get Over It” is dozy, and even the requisite
    performance of “Here It Goes Again” feels strained. There are occasional
    surprises, like the Pixies imitation “Skyscrapers,” which is more
    sharply observed than its
    Blue counterpart and boasts a go-for-broke saxophone squall.

I am hoping that N/G isn't as bad as this leads one to believe, ditto for GOI. Though I am trying to figure out the connection between "Skyscrapers" and the Pixies.

And to quote a rather remarkable TV show theme song, "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life. The facts of life."
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • The album is wonderful and I love it.  That article was written by an art critic and their job is to find something to criticize so, worry not.  It is a throughly enjoyable listen with the feel of being at an actual concert.  I listened to HIGA again for any sign of "strain" and I heard fun, as in it sounds like the boys are having the time of their lives.  Maybe our critic can not tell the difference between strain and fun.
  • Here's another article. This time from 93XRT, a Chicago radio station. It also gave 180/365 a very nice review.

Full Album: OK Go, '180/365'

Although there isn’t anything new on this album, the live performances
    bring a new side to OK Go that people who haven’t (yet) been to a show
    can now hear. ... Chicagoans who know the band well will be satisfied with this release,
    and it is definitely unique and interesting enough to reel in new OK Go
    fans.

Too bad Chicago didn't make the final cut. :( Sorry, I'm a scorned Chicago fan that is dealing with no hometown love.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:

I haven't heard it yet either. I couldn't figure out how to make it work when I got home. I'm not as tech savvy as I may appear to be.

Here's an article on the album from the AV Club. It's doesn't exactly sing high praises for it, but I think this is how I feel about the album, even though I haven't listened to it.

OK Go: 180/365

The knob-twiddling coda of “Needing/Getting” falls flat, the

Pavement-esque outro on “Get Over It” is dozy, and even the requisite

performance of “Here It Goes Again” feels strained. There are occasional

surprises, like the Pixies imitation “Skyscrapers,” which is more

sharply observed than its Blue counterpart and boasts a go-for-broke saxophone squall.

I am hoping that N/G isn't as bad as this leads one to believe, ditto for GOI. Though I am trying to figure out the connection between "Skyscrapers" and the Pixies.

And to quote a rather remarkable TV show theme song, "You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life. The facts of life."

I JUST CAME HERE TO TALK EXACTLY ABOUT THAT, oh Becky <3

Seriously, where is the Pixies on Skyscrapers? 

Plus, I don't think GOI sounds dozy… Oo 

Overall, though, while 180/365 might be a handy reminder that the YouTube heroes still exist, it doesn’t display enough energy or wit to do much more.

Yeah, this bothered me. Has he ever been to an OK Go concert? I'm sorry to be offended by this, but it's been a while since I heard a live album so well produced so, this makes me mad. I think the record sounds amazing.

• beckysioux said:

Here's another article. This time from 93XRT, a Chicago radio station. It also gave 180/365 a very nice review.

Full Album: OK Go, '180/365'

I liked this accolade better. Kay.

Just read this one. 

The first album to be wholly released by the band's newly established Paracadute label, the 19-song, 74-minute live collection reinforces the Los Angeles based quartet's status as a bleeding edge, blockbuster outfit for the internet age. But just as much 180/365 burnishes the reputation behind the reputation: a ceaselessly touring live act, refined into extrapsychic tightness by years on the road.

:D

• The band knows that they have an amazing production in 180/365.  One does not let the world listen to an entire album before it even goes on sale without a great deal of confidence.  Personally, I think I am preaching to the choir here.  However I stll want to say that I love it and to heck with the critics.  Usually I don't get bitter about critics in general, but that article makes me so hot under the collar that I feel the need to ask the question I try not to ask when dealing with critics in general.  Where that heck is that guy's band anyway?  Don't (as one's profession) judge what you can't do.

OK, rant's over.  I am sorry you all had to read that.
  • S'okay, Becki.  We're all a little protective of the guys too.

And now I've listened.  Holy crap Skyscrapers.  Favorite Version Ever.  Ever Ever Ever.  The thing about this live album, at least for me, is that a lot of what I love about an OK Go show is the banter.  Granted, the one show I saw on this tour (T5 in NYC, IWYSBICB is the track on the album) was very light in banter.  So maybe that's how things were for the whole tour, I don't know.  But the album, since it's just the songs, is missing some of the magic that I usually feel when listening to a live recording.

Or maybe I've just been to too many shows and I'm jaded.  That's possible/probable as well. 
  • 52% of the file downloaded...
  • UPDATE: NO ONE HAS BOUGHT ANDY'S RED SUIT!

Well, not yet. For those who did not get the email, here's the description:

"Last year, the guys played 180 live shows around the world, and saw a lot of interesting and not-so-interesting places in the process. What better way to celebrate all the hometowns they did and didn't make it to than by creating digital confetti comprised of your hometown photos? Yes, we are running a contest this week with the good people at Music Hype to collect as many pictures of your hometowns as we possibly can so as to simulate some good ole fashion confetti right here on the screen.

For every 180 photos submitted, we'll be giving away a 180/365 t-shirt package absolutely free. 180 photos, 180 days. Get it? Then at the end of the week, we'll pick a grand prize winner from all participants, who will receive Andy's red tour suit. That's right, the final "The Suit" package can be yours. Stains and all. The more digital confetti you upload, the cooler it all looks, and the more chances you have to win. Read up on the project here, get submitting, and join the party."

Ugghh, if only I could go back in time to take a picture. Then again, if I did, I might've not made the age limit. O well. Good luck to all involved!
  • Downloaded the album files, and I love it. Flat out love it. Skyscrapers, WTF, Last Leaf, all wonderful. More to say later on the guy who evidently has not seen the bleep machine. But that's enough for now.
  • Magnoliamaggiemag, not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but there's no age restriction on posting photos — and the photos don't exactly have to be your hometown where you grew up, nor do they have to be of the band. They're just looking for photos of where we live, in the color schemes they're looking for, to create online visual confetti. The legal mumbo jumbo is here:

http://musichype.com/ok-go-prizes-plus-t-s-and-c-s
  • wick*design said:

Magnoliamaggiemag, not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but there's no age restriction on posting photos — and the photos don't exactly have to be your hometown where you grew up, nor do they have to be of the band. They're just looking for photos of where we live, in the color schemes they're looking for, to create online visual confetti. The legal mumbo jumbo is here:

http://musichype.com/ok-go-pri.....-s-and-c-s

I see my mistake there. Thanks for the heads up :D. I'm just extremely excited about it all!
  • I can see the Pixies in Skyscrapers.. call me crazy.. but something aabout it..  I dunno.

Rachel:  I went to two of their shows in the fall tour, and both fell short on banter for me.. I dunno whether the one we both went to is the norm, or not, anymore, just because those two shows made it seem like it wasn't.

Although it also seems any of the stuff they always do (Damian doing his raised and lowered 'ohs' in Do What You Want, pausing in the middle of oh lately it's so quiet to tell people to get out their gadgets (now I'm wondering if that's why it wasn't on there…)) seem to be cut out..  Which is annoying.  xP

And as far as Live Albums go, I think this one's amazing.  That could be because I'm used to listening to 80s live albums where the music is drowned out by screaming fans and really rough and unrefined, so I dunno what modern live albums are like (I'm not trying to sound hipster here, I swear, that's just what my family has.. o_o), but still.  You can actually properly hear the music and get the feeling of the live show -and- it sounds clean and like it's been refined.  I love that.

Plus the confetti.

Most gorgeous tube of confetti I've ever seen.  xD

Am I allowed to talk about the Book here too?  'Cause the pictures.. gahhh.  Tim and Dan in drag.. Damian scrunching his face while holding a cup of coffee.. that light burst one where Tim's next to a car.. I appreciate Damian brushing his teeth, too.  Not to mention silhouetted Dan with handbells and Andy staring creepily into the camera as he records something-or-other on an acoustic.

Gfff..sofantasticc.
  • I finally got a chance to listen to 180/365 on Thursday. It's really good quality, but I am a little dissatisfied. I actually wrote notes as I was listening and I forgot them at work. But I shall try to remember.

Did anyone else notice a lot of odd echoing on some the songs? I think it was during AMW that the background vocals got some echo that wasn't needed.

There was no banter. And I don't mean just the guys talking amongst themselves, but also talking with the audience. I missed the part where Damian teaches us the words to TTSP and then Tim eggs us on to sing louder than a rival city/school/country.

I was very disappointed that the lyrics to Needing/Getting were wrong. I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about this if I didn't have a very personal connection to the song. Whoever was choosing the songs had at least 25 shows to choose from, so why did they pick one where the lyrics are wrong?

Ending with In The Glass left me deflated. They don't end with that at shows because it's such a downer, so why did they end with it on the album?

And now for what I did like.

Damian finally got the lyrics right for Invincible. I couldn't believe my ears when he sang decimate and then devastate. It was wonderful.

Like Rachel, I think I've been to so many of their shows, there's a certain expectation you have and it's a bit of a let-down when they don't meet that expectation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still completely in love with the boys and everything they do, I just wasn't totally satisfied with the album. Which is actually a good thing because it means I know that they're not perfect, simply human.

So, who else heard it and what are your thoughts?
    Allergic to whole wheat.