In this Discussion

180/365

Comments

• Okay I have to comment on In The Glass because that's -my- personal connection song:

I've always LOVED that that's what they ended with on OTBCOTS.. I think it's the perfect end to an album, and leaves you thinking - about yourself, about life, about the world.. and it's intense.

I always hate listening to the album on my ipod because that comes with Louisiana Land and the remix.

Don't worry, Leticia, I love Louisiana Land to bits - but to me, not much can follow up In The Glass.  If it came earlier on the album, I'd be extremely happy with it.

So, while it was supposed to be a live album and leave you with the feeling of the show, in which they'd end with TTSP (in the fall tour, anywho.. I think they ended with Skyscrapers my first show, which is so much more a downer than In The Glass, thanksss), I think it was still a decent choice to end with In The Glass - you're still listening to it as an album, or should be.

I agree with the banter bit, but I went on about that for a while, so..

I didn't notice the echo, either, but maybe I just have to listen again.

Nor did I notice the screwed up Needing/Getting.. weird.

I do think it could be better, like it's not as intense as OTBCOTS or as fun as okgo or Oh No to me, but, as I said, for a live album I think it's damnnnn good.. maybe the usbs are better, but most people aren't gonna buy those.

Now forgive me for the two overly long rants.. I should work on that.  >>
  • I think the reason they chose the wrong lyrics for N/G is either they thought a) it was the best sounding out of all of them, b) they were tired of hearing their voices over and over that they just chose one, or c) they wanted to show people what might happen an actual concert. They screw up lyrics sometimes. My best guess is "c".

I second (or whatever # it was) with the banter. If they wanted a real concert feel, they should've kept it in. Maybe they didn't record it in the first place.

Overall, it's an excellent live album. It gives people who've never gone to one of their concerts an accurate glimpse, which for me is pretty awesome. Sure, they could've done other things, but ifrom what I know, they'll take all this criticism, fix it, and make an even more epic album than the last :)
  • The audio quality is fantastic, especially since I'm used to the flash drives.

I don't mind the banter not being on it because 1. I have seven other banter-ful concert recordings on those drives, and 2. the banter usually means more to me if it's from a concert that I've actually attended. The only show I was at from 180/365 was Legends @ Notre Dame (and even then, I was outside during the song).  Besides, the fall tour was light on banter anyway.

The messed up Needing/Getting lyrics bug me, too. I will probably pass on this version in favor of one of the other live recordings (thank goodness, once again, for those flash drives).

I would have liked the songs to have been in the same order as the (fall) concerts. I also wonder why they ended with In the Glass, rather than This Too Shall Pass.

My biggest complaint is the exclusion of Don't Ask Me. Frown

But I'm really happy that they chose to include Return on bells. I've yet to see them perform it in person and I already have What To Do on (all 7) flash drives, I don't really need another one.

And I love the Tipitina version of Skyscrapers.
  • Just wanted to let you all know that the contest to win the red suit has closed. I went to upload some last minute pictures that I hadn't already entered and got this message:

Thanks for uploading your photos – our confetti

making machine is busy cranking through all the pictures. We’ll

announce the winner and show off our confetti masterpiece soon.

Thanks for getting involved everyone!

I'm really excited to see what the "confetti masterpiece" will look like and how many of the pictures I submitted will be used. I'm also crossing my fingers that I actually win the suit. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I honestly heard the album with so much joy for having new live tracks I wasn't so critic about it

Unless saying like some of you have, that I missed Don't Ask Me, I loved Skyscrapers and I really wanted WTD on the bells at least as a bonus track.

I don't own any flash drives. For me to get even one it's hard because of all the tax/shipping thing and that means I can only order 1 and that's all for a whole purchase. For me, spending that much shipping for just one tiny flashdrive has got to be worth it. As some of you suggested, if it wasn't for the new package that just got out now (and for the fact that i'm still trying to save up to do the tattoo) I would buy the Spring Tour USB (was that the name?) – anyways, the one you told me to get xD But truth is I only get around 200 dollars per month in my job, so, spending 50 on a flashdrive purchase is quite a lot – and I'm already doing that for the book, because I think it's so worth not having money for anything else to have that ADJAHDKJAGFKASGDF

ALTHOUGH some of you are scaring me off saying the book wasn't that good. Hmpf.

ANYWAYS

Given the fact that I've only seen OK Go live once in my life, I just get excited for everything and period. HAHA

I didn't even notice he got the words wrong on Needing/Getting – that's how much attention I was paying.

Okay, will listen to it more carefully now :D

* ps. just found out that actually 50 bucks would be the Spring flash drive WITH the poster. Why the hell would I want that, I'm not even in it. WITHOUT IT, it's 35 dollars. 

I'M THINKING

I MAY CONSIDER NOT EATING now
  • And the winner of the red suit is.... Rebecca Hoopes. Don't know who she is, but she's a very lucky lady.

You can check out the digital confetti masterpiece on the OK Go main page.

Congratulations to all the winners!
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • I am Rebecca Hoopes, Witte is my maiden name.  I could not be more thrilled.  When I entered the contest I just thought that I would be getting a chance to share some photos with the band, actually WINNING hd never occured to me.  I need to goi and call everyone I know.

I am so happy.
  • BeckiWitte said:

I am Rebecca Hoopes, Witte is my maiden name.  I could not be more thrilled.  When I entered the contest I just thought that I would be getting a chance to share some photos with the band, actually WINNING hd never occured to me.  I need to goi and call everyone I know.

I am so happy.

OK, that is AWESOME.  Congratulations, Becki with an i!  I think we can all agree that if it's not going to ourself, at least we want the suit to go to a Boardie.  I was completely unable to participate in the contest in the first place due to being driving across the country for the vast majority of the time the contest was running.  BUT I'm thrilled it's gone to a boardie. :-)

You know what else?  23.  Math.  Win.
  • BeckiWitte said:

I am Rebecca Hoopes, Witte is my maiden name.  I could not be more thrilled.  When I entered the contest I just thought that I would be getting a chance to share some photos with the band, actually WINNING hd never occured to me.  I need to goi and call everyone I know.

I am so happy.

Aw, sweet! And you just joined the boards, too. LaughLaughLaugh
    Ain't the boards awesome?
    Boardie Power!!!
    You have to give us a complete report of the state of wear on the suit. And pictures. And stuff. Did I say 'have to'? I meant, I would like you to. But I really want to be demanding. Anyway..

CONGRATS!
  • BeckiWitte said:

I am so happy.

AWESOME!  I'm so glad you won it! C:

Oh, and a late welcome to the boards!
  • Congratulations! SOO lucky! It's never too late to jump on the band wagon, especially if a stained suit is the welcoming prize Laugh! Keep updating on the situation!
  • You won it, Becki? That is so AWESOME! To have a boardie win it? That's so incredible and even more awesome! :D Congratulations, Becki! I agree with Violet, you have to - I mean, I would love if you showed us pictures and the works.
  • Congrats Becki :) i hope u know we will be expecting a full report fm u (pictorials especially) on the state of the suit etcetc ;) x
  • Congrats Becki, and welcome! Think I saw a pic of yours amongst the confetti, a flower & bee? Nice photo.

It was great to see so many familar names amongst the confetti contributions!
  • Yes, my husband took that one in the backyard.  Art from the backyard for OK Go just really seemed appropriate.  My husband's mad photography skills came from a crime scene photography class (I mentioned his studies in another thread, I think).  He shot everything in sight for a month or so and still loves to take pics.  I decided not to send up any of me posed as a crime victim, though.  Laugh

I look forward to getting him to a concert so he can take beautiful pics of the band.  Doesn't even matter where we sit since his dad got him a telephoto lens for Christmas.
  • All right I finally have some time now (I can not believe how busy I've been this weekend) and I thought I would give you guys the play by play of what happened here at Hoopes House when I saw that I got Andy's suit.  Please forgive caps lock, but, well I am not kidding about the shouting.

Becki: [dispondent, enters room and fires up OK Go websight] (To, Chris her roommate)  Well I didn't win one of the tee shirt packages...... (very quietly while staring at computer screen)  What the heck?

Chris: What is it?

Becki: OH MY GOD!! OHMY GOD!! LOOKLOOKLOOKLOOK!!!!!

CHRIS: Can you please stop screaming?

Becki: NO I CANNOT!  I WON!!! I WONIWON!!! LOOKLOOKLOOK!!!

And so on.

End scene.

I just wanted you all to know that my first response to this (being "I am so happy") was because I was in not condition to express my feelings coherently and I was not damning my fortune with faint praise on purpose.
  •  Might I say you from the description of the scene, you handled the news very... maturely (More mature than I would be). I'd also like to say, once more (or as many times as you'll let me say it), CONGRATS!
  • Well, Becki, I say you handled the news in a very civilized manner compared to how I would have reacted.Laugh

I highly doubt I'd be able to form any sort of sentence in that case, haha. 
  • You what kind of ticks me off?  Here I am screaming in joy and bouncing around the room etc. And (believe me) that is not normal behavior for me, and all my roommate cares about is that I am being loud.  No "What is it Becki?" no "What did you win?"  What a jerk.  Oh well, I wasn't set on this earth to please him.  I got on the phone to my sister and told someone who, though she doesn't care for OK Go, at least cares about me.
  • BeckiWitte said:

You what kind of ticks me off?  Here I am screaming in joy and bouncing around the room etc. And (believe me) that is not normal behavior for me, and all my roommate cares about is that I am being loud.  No "What is it Becki?" no "What did you win?"  What a jerk.  Oh well, I wasn't set on this earth to please him.  I got on the phone to my sister and told someone who, though she doesn't care for OK Go, at least cares about me.

Don't focus your energy on him! Think about it this way: He's just jealous you got on of the most wanted suits of all time (even more than the suit Batman, Tom Hanks, or Barack Obama wore). And don't forget we're screaming and bouncing off the walls with you!