In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• Women aren't objects, you know? They're a privelage not a right.
  • i just ate a cookie with a spoon because it was melted (the cookie, not the spoon...)
  • melted spoons are under-rated
  • It's 7:08 am. I'm in school. It's way too early to be awake or even remotely consious.

Party.
  • I've just been to the dentist. No problems biggrin.gif
  • was he/she sweedish by any chance?
  • When I was younger, just a baaaaaad little kid
    my mooma noticed funny things I did
    Like shooting puppies with a BB gun
    I poisoned guppies, and when I was done
    I'd find a pussycat and bash in it's head
    that's when my momma said [what did she say?]
    "She said my boy I think some day, you'll find a way, to make you natural tendencies pay,
    You'll be a Deeeeentiiiiiiiiisttt, you have a talent for causing things pain.
    Son be a dennntiiiiiiistttttt. People will pay you to be inhumane. Your temperments wrong for the priesthood and teaching would uit you still less, SON be a deeeentist, you'll be a success!"
  • Do you guys know what cd cover this is from?

Its for this teaminsound thingi... I usually guess by looking on the web but I can't find any...

I get points for this that Can be used on CDs and stuff...
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 11 2006, 06:05 PM)
    was he/she sweedish by any chance?

My dentist? No he isn't! Why should he be?
  • random i know, but i tried out a recipe from the ramen noodle book and it came out really good, it was a tuna cassarole. was im really amazed i cooked a cassarole and it tasted good.

ok thats enough of my rant
  • all dentists round here are...

bleh its 5am and i need the sleeps
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 11 2006, 10:54 PM)
    all dentists round here are...

damn go to sleep child
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 12 2006, 04:54 AM)
    all dentists round here are...

5 hours latter im up again and off to the docters...fun times being me
  • I'm in school... I have a bio lab in 30 mins... does anyone know how to differentiate between acuracy and precsion?... Why is it so quiet in the library... I need sleep...
  • Accuracy is defined as, "The ability of a measurement to match the actual value of the quantity being measured". If in reality it is 34.0 F outside and a temperature sensor reads 34.0 F, then than sensor is accurate.

Precision is defined as, "(1) The ability of a measurement to be consistently reproduced" and "(2) The number of significant digits to which a value has been reliably measured". If on several tests the temperature sensor matches the actual temperature while the actual temperature is held constant, then the temperature sensor is precise. By the second definition, the number 3.1415 is more precise than the number 3.14

An example of a sensor with BAD accuracy and BAD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of: 39.4, 38.1, 39.3, 37.5, 38.3, 39.1, 37.1, 37.8, 38.8, 39.0. This distribution shows no tendency toward a particular value (lack of precision) and does not acceptably match the actual temperature (lack of accuracy).

An example of a sensor with GOOD accuracy and BAD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of: 37.8, 38.3, 38.1, 38.0, 37.6, 38.2, 38.0, 38.0, 37.4, 38.3. This distribution shows no impressive tendency toward a particular value (lack of precision) but each value does come close to the actual temperature (high accuracy).

An example of a sensor with BAD accuracy and GOOD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of : 39.2, 39.3, 39.1, 39.0, 39.1, 39.3, 39.2, 39.1, 39.2, 39.2. This distribution does show a tendency toward a particular value (high precision) but every measurement is well off from the actual temperature (low accuracy).

An example of a sensor with GOOD accuracy and GOOD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of: 38.0, 38.0, 37.8, 38.1, 38.0, 37.9, 38.0, 38.2, 38.0, 37.9. This distribution does show a tendency toward a particular value (high precision) and is very near the actual temperature each time (high accuracy).

The goal of any meteorological instrument is to have high accuracy (sensor matching reality as close as possible) and to also have a high precision (being able to consistently replicate results and to measure with as many significant digits as appropriately possible). Meteorological instruments, including radar, need to be calibrated in order that they sustain high accuracy and high precision.
  • damn that reminds me i start bio 2 and organic lab next week. ugh i can't wait sad.gif
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Jan 11 2006, 02:55 AM)
    yes, yes they verry much are. i heart dolph lundgren movies.

You can't really call Dolph Lundgren an actor...
  • "Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man."
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Jan 12 2006, 09:45 AM)
    Accuracy is defined as, "The ability of a measurement to match the actual value of the quantity being measured". If in reality it is 34.0 F outside and a temperature sensor reads 34.0 F, then than sensor is accurate.

Precision is defined as, "(1) The ability of a measurement to be consistently reproduced" and "(2) The number of significant digits to which a value has been reliably measured". If on several tests the temperature sensor matches the actual temperature while the actual temperature is held constant, then the temperature sensor is precise. By the second definition, the number 3.1415 is more precise than the number 3.14

An example of a sensor with BAD accuracy and BAD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of: 39.4, 38.1, 39.3, 37.5, 38.3, 39.1, 37.1, 37.8, 38.8, 39.0. This distribution shows no tendency toward a particular value (lack of precision) and does not acceptably match the actual temperature (lack of accuracy).

An example of a sensor with GOOD accuracy and BAD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of: 37.8, 38.3, 38.1, 38.0, 37.6, 38.2, 38.0, 38.0, 37.4, 38.3. This distribution shows no impressive tendency toward a particular value (lack of precision) but each value does come close to the actual temperature (high accuracy).

An example of a sensor with BAD accuracy and GOOD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of : 39.2, 39.3, 39.1, 39.0, 39.1, 39.3, 39.2, 39.1, 39.2, 39.2. This distribution does show a tendency toward a particular value (high precision) but every measurement is well off from the actual temperature (low accuracy).

An example of a sensor with GOOD accuracy and GOOD precision: Suppose a lab refrigerator holds a constant temperature of 38.0 F. A temperature sensor is tested 10 times in the refrigerator. The temperatures from the test yield the temperatures of: 38.0, 38.0, 37.8, 38.1, 38.0, 37.9, 38.0, 38.2, 38.0, 37.9. This distribution does show a tendency toward a particular value (high precision) and is very near the actual temperature each time (high accuracy).

The goal of any meteorological instrument is to have high accuracy (sensor matching reality as close as possible) and to also have a high precision (being able to consistently replicate results and to measure with as many significant digits as appropriately possible). Meteorological instruments, including radar, need to be calibrated in order that they sustain high accuracy and high precision.

Wowsers! thanks! too bad I already did my lab and handed in the prelab assignment... but thanks anyways.