In this Discussion

Happy List

Comments

• oh my goodness alice!!

sorry i'm a bit late, but congratulations!!! ahhh!!

aww, you're so smart and wonderful, i'm sure everyone here knew they were going to accept you. they'd be crazy not to!

woo! you go!
  • today's fortune cookie:

"traveling this year will bring your life into greater perspective"

so alice, when shall i plan my trip? wink.gif
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jan 3 2008, 01:15 PM)
    today's fortune cookie:

"traveling this year will bring your life into greater perspective"

so alice, when shall i plan my trip? wink.gif

HAHAHAHA, I love apropos fortune cookies! Here are some of my favorites:

"You're going to get hungry soon, better order take out now".
    "Your love of music will play a great role in your life".
    "Today is your day to call the shots" (Adam got that one on Christmas this year)
    "Stop looking for happiness, it's right next to you" (my friend got that one on her first date with her husband)
  • oooo!
    YAY!!!
    3 cheers for Alice!
    Hip, hip hooray!!!!
  • Sally and Vinnie - thank you both so much! smile.gif

wub.gifwub.gif
  • HOLY FUCK HOLY FUUUUCK!!

ALIIIIICE! That is incredible! I'm so happy for you. I can't believe our ark is going to be captained by such a medical mastermind!! wub.gif

P.S. My best-ever fortune cookie: "Go ahead and be as sexy as you can."
  • ALICE!!!!!!!!!11!one!

way to go!!!!!!!!!

i'm so happy for you!

ahhh! I knew you could do it!

I'm also happy... that I got a package today... a late christmas present from a dear friend:

• -Seeing your very sweet roommate with a boyfriend who treats her how she deserves to be treated
    -Being very, very cold, but still adoring Montreal as much as when I left
    -Vagina night (a.k.a. getting a little drunk, buying Playboy to critique the fake boobies, and watching girly flicks)
    -My radical political thought class. I mean, the theories obviously don't work that well (look at communism), but they're super interesting to learn, if for nothing else than perspective
    -NPR and tea in the morning
    -My friends coming up to visit next weekend. You know what that means: gay club dancing and late night slumber parties.
    -Even though I argue with her, having a mom who only wants the best for me and who I will always love, even during our spats. Having a dad who can make me feel like a champion in an instant. And having a brother who is too sarcastic and witty for his own good.
    -Being very content and in love with life. Now I am off to reading Simone de Beauvoir and drinking my licorice tea. Champion!
  • HOLY CRAP ALICE!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! You're amazing. I'm pretty sure all of us knew you would get in.

-playing Taboo, Mafia, and Animal Snap with friends before we all go back to college
  • Thank you, everyone smile.gif I loves you all!
    You were the first people I told, lol.

Mel - that Freddie model is AWESOME.
    And Amy, I love the sound of vagina nights. Wonderful. tongue.gif
  • ALICE!!!!!
    I haven't been on yet today, so CONGRATULATIONSS!!!!!!
    like everyone's said, we all knew you would do it!
    that really is amazing.

(just out of curiosity, if cambridge is the second-best medical school in the world, what's the best?)

and haha, I love the fact that you actually told us first wub.gif
    I love us

• QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 3 2008, 11:47 PM)
    And Amy, I love the sound of vagina nights. Wonderful. tongue.gif

They are fantastic. We've only had one so far, at the beginning of last semester. But, we just lounged on my roommate's bed and spent the entire evening laughing and having a blast. Nothing crazy, just celebrating being together and having vaginas. And Bailey's Irish Cream.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jan 4 2008, 12:29 AM)
    (just out of curiosity, if cambridge is the second-best medical school in the world, what's the best?)

and haha, I love the fact that you actually told us first wub.gif
    I love us

Thanks, Milky!

The best is Harvard. Should've applied there, shouldn't I? LOL.

And of course, I love you people smile.gif

Amy - So I tried suggesting the Vagina Nights idea to some friends. The name sort of put them off.... *sigh*
    sad.gif
  • AHHHHHHH ALICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O MAN, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! THAT IS SO AMAZING!!!!!!!! AND THAT COLLEGE LOOKS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! YOU ARE SOOOO LUCKY, BUT WE ALL KNEW YOU WOULD GET IN wink.gif !!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-speaking of fortune cookies, one time I got one that said, "You will get new clothes soon." And my brother got one that said something like "Go out and shake up the world." hahaha

Happy List
    -Obama winning the Iowa caucuses. Ya Ya suckaaaa haha
  • -Sweeney Todd. The play and the movie. My parents saw the play like 30 years ago, and love it, so my siblings and I have heard the songs from it for like our whole lives. And it would get kind of annoying hearing it on the car ride home from a trip or something. And then my parents took us all to see the play when it was back out a few years ago, which was cool because we actually saw what was going on. And now that I've seen the movie (twice!) I have like a new respect for it. The music isn't so annoying now and I love it haha. Does that make sense?
    -seeing people's reactions in the theater when they show someone people killed in the movie.
    -Meeting some of the actors from the movie.
    -Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd
    -Johnny Depp in general.
  • QUOTE (porifera @ Jan 4 2008, 08:01 PM)
    -Meeting some of the actors from the movie.

details?
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 4 2008, 10:47 PM)
    details?

Um well my mom's boss is some big shot person and he's on the board of all these companies. So he gets invites to all these events and stuff and he gets invited to a lot of movie premieres. But he like never goes to any because they are either in LA or he just doesn't want to or he's like busy or something. So we wanted to see Sweeney Todd, and this guy got an invite to the premiere in NY. Like red carpet and free stuff and that whole deal. So he gave the tickets to my mom and me, my mom, and two friends of ours went because the rest of my family was busy. So we got to walk on the red carpet and I saw Tim Burton. I wanted to see Johnny Depp, but they were kind of hurrying you along. And they had like free champagne and hor d'ourves and popcorn and soda (awesome!). So I got to go to the premiere screening. And they handed out free books and soundtracks to everyone as you were leaving. And I spotted 2 of the actors as I was leaving and they just went outside on the sidewalk where people were waiting to take pictures. The people were behind a fence thing, but like I could just walk out there with the rest of the actors. So I did, and I asked them for a picture. And they were really really nice. One guy thought I was like with the actor. They were like, "is this your limo?" hahaha And then the kid from the movie was just standing inside with like his mom and no one was like talking to him. So I went up and started talking to him and I got a picture with him as well. He was also super nice. So ya, it was a lot of fun.
  • duuuude
    patty that is freakin amazing!!

your so lucky smile.gif

was the movie good?
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 4 2008, 07:35 AM)
    Thanks, Milky!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif YESSSS
    then you could've been half an hour away from me!
    hahaha but I'm sure you'll do wonderful at Cambridge, and maybe I'll have to come visit you sometime, yes?

Patty, that's AWESOME that you got to meet some of the actors!
    *is jealous*
    I just saw Sweeney Todd last night, and I really liked it.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jan 4 2008, 07:35 AM)

That made me curious b/c in the US, we have undergraduate before med school. The US and Canada are the only countries in the world that do that. In the US, it's 4 years pre-med undergrad and in Canada, it's 3 years pre-med undergrad. (You major in whatever you want in premed, as long as you take certain science classes) This is why doctors in the US are older than doctors from Europe, by at least 4 years. So then I wondered, what about international students? How would they they apply to a med school in the US if everyone else in the incoming med class has had 4 years undergrad?

I googled it and it turns out that Harvard requires that any international student applying to their med school have at least a year at an American college beforehand.

However, 1 thing I'm thinking: what makes a good education? The resources available, the staff, and one's own willingness to study hard. Brand names don't mean anything.

And so, Alice, to me you're already at the best med school in the world smile.gif