In this Discussion

OK Go on TV shows, movies commercials etc.

Comments

• ^^^^
    OK, they FOR SURE play Don't Ask Me during that commercial! biggrin.gif I saw it again today, and made sure I heard it this time.
  • QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Nov 24 2008, 02:46 PM)
    Ok so I know I havn;t been on in awhile aculally a long time but ok well heres my story. Im obsessed with the Twilight books and while i was reading the 3rd one (eclipse) i looked in the back to where she writes her thank yous and she says thanks to the bands on her playlists that helped her through writers blcok and OK GO was metioned! It was so exciting i hyperventalated (sp?)

I totally pictured Edward Cullen as Damian
  • QUOTE (evilgenius @ Dec 13 2008, 12:57 AM)
    I totally pictured Edward Cullen as Damian

I ain't gonna lie, me too.
  • I'm watching Ellen and they're playing DWYW during some Superbowl clips. It made me pretty happy.
  • Anyone see the latest promos for the ABC show "Castle"? They're playing bits of YSDH in the background. It so doesn't go with the show, but it was great fun to hear the song stuck in there.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 4 2009, 10:58 PM)
    Anyone see the latest promos for the ABC show "Castle"? They're playing bits of YSDH in the background. It so doesn't go with the show, but it was great fun to hear the song stuck in there.

EEEK! haha, Me and my roomy were watching ABC and that commercial came on and I heard YSDH start to play and I shrieked!! haha, It was so awesome. I get so excited whenever I hear OK Go anywhere.
  • You people did not prepare me for that. That was not fair. You said they were using YSDH in the commercials for a new TV show and somehow completely forgot to mention that NATHAN FUCKING FILLION IS THE STAR OF THAT SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, so you know how Damian is number one on my list of 5? Nathan dances between 3 and 5 depending on my mood, but he is ALWAYS on the list. I damn near had an aneurysm watching that. I might die now. Tempe, it doesn't go with the show? Are you kidding me? NATHAN IS SO DAMN HOT. (not to mention that he's hitting on the actress, who doesn't seem to love him at all and it doesn't bother him). They packaged the show *specifically* to kill me dead.

NATHAN FILLION NATHAN FILLION NATHAN FILLION OMFG.

OMG See?????

http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?...st&p=133677
  • AAHH!!! The radio was on in the bathroom in my dorm, and I was washing some of my bowls, and as I was drying them, HIGA came on!!!!! algihealighalighelih I completely freaked out!!!! EEKK!!! I NEVER hear them play that song anymore!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
  • Well, Rachel, if I had known all this ahead of time, I would've been able to see the obvious connection. wink.gif It's a shameless use of Nathan Fillion and YSDH in an all out attempt to blow your mind!

Yey, Rebekker! What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!!
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 9 2009, 05:28 PM)
    Well, Rachel, if I had known all this ahead of time, I would've been able to see the obvious connection. wink.gif It's a shameless use of Nathan Fillion and YSDH in an all out attempt to blow your mind!

Yey, Rebekker! What a great way to celebrate your anniversary!!

The Ad Execs are IN OUR BRAINS, Tempe. Soon they'll start using T-Rex to advertise a Davy Jones pilot, you mark my words.

I also come bearing news, guys. Behold.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_dis...d7e38f7490539f7

Sara Bareilles, Liz Phair, OK Go! and Tommy Torres will join five other artists as the faces of Banana Republic’s spring and summer ad campaigns.

The national campaigns will feature print advertising, window displays and billboards identifying the artists wearing the company’s clothes. Banana Republic customers will receive an iTunes gift card with purchase Feb. 17 – 26, redeemable for a free compilation of songs by the participating artists. In addition to those named above, those also include acoustic soul singer Ayo, Dashboard Confessional, jazz artist Esperanza Spaulding, saxophonist David Sanchez, and classical violinist David Garrett.

During the campaign’s second phase, expected to begin in May, another set of digital tracks will be released by the same nine artists—this time as original songs they composed especially for the retailer’s “City Stories” theme. Those will be housed on the campaign’s micro-site, bananarepublic.com/citystories, where visitors can also access free downloads, videos and interviews with the artists and link to iTunes directly.

In addition to the advertising and digital content, artists will receive in-store play and have recorded voice-overs to introduce their songs. The in-store playlists also include songs by others that the artists recommend. Garrett, Sanchez and Puerto Rican singer-songwriter Torres will perform invitation-only acoustic sets at Banana Republic stores in New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles on Feb. 26.

Virgin America’s in-flight entertainment system will also run “City Stories” as a branded channel, featuring the artist interviews, videos and acoustic performances.

“City Stories” was executed by New York agency AR, with artist casting support by Starworks and music aggregation and marketing by San Francisco-based Rock River Music.

Banana Republic’s chief marketing officer Peter DeLuca tells Billboard that the campaign began by targeting “the modern soul”: shoppers between the ages of 25 and 49 who “aspire to a city lifestyle,” says DeLuca. “We’re really trying to establish the brand’s vision of the city as an anchor point. Music is a key piece of the puzzle.”

So is the online aspect, says DeLuca. “We wanted to do something that broke out from the way we were traditionally marketing in the past,” he says. “We are definitely leveraging online as a means to deliver a large portion of the campaign and give a visual and audio component to the brand.”

Artists were chosen for their diversity of genres, their single or album release schedules, and if they’d feel right in Banana Republic clothes.

So in other words, next week you should start living at Banana Republic and book your next flight on Virgin America. Perhaps this explains the style change? Or is it just a lucky coincidence? Dunno. I'm happy either way. I can't wear BR clothing, but I can go buy a necklace or something if it means free music. Especially free OK Go.
  • Interesting. Can't wait to see the ads. I can't wear BR clothing either... because it's just a more expensive version of Gap.
  • When I first saw this in my gmail, I just kind of skimmed it, so I saw "OK Go" and "perform" and "San Francisco" and got super excited. Then I actually read it. I need to stop skimming.
  • omg omg omg!!! I love the Banana! I got my dazzling interview suit there, all on sale. Three piece gorgeous classic look for less than $100. Ah, now I sound like a Banana shill. I don't know why I find this so incredibly awesome! Feels like Ok Go's getting some attention for their shazzam style in places other than youtube. Do they actually get to model the clothes? You'd see all of us all over the country suddenly going to BR just to take pictures of their pictures, lol I just hope they show a little more ok go and a little less of the other bands, heck I'm biased. wink.gif BTW, does Virgin own Capitol Records or did Ok Go altogether go to a different label? Can't keep track of mergers and such.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 10 2009, 05:42 PM)
    omg omg omg!!! I love the Banana! I got my dazzling interview suit there, all on sale. Three piece gorgeous classic look for less than $100. Ah, now I sound like a Banana shill.

You sound like Jack on Will and Grace, "The Banana has changed my life!!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgOnraMWb5Y
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 10 2009, 05:42 PM)
    omg omg omg!!! I love the Banana! I got my dazzling interview suit there, all on sale. Three piece gorgeous classic look for less than $100. Ah, now I sound like a Banana shill. I don't know why I find this so incredibly awesome! Feels like Ok Go's getting some attention for their shazzam style in places other than youtube. Do they actually get to model the clothes? You'd see all of us all over the country suddenly going to BR just to take pictures of their pictures, lol I just hope they show a little more ok go and a little less of the other bands, heck I'm biased. wink.gif BTW, does Virgin own Capitol Records or did Ok Go altogether go to a different label? Can't keep track of mergers and such.

I was wrong about the method they'd employ, but it appears I was right after all, Rose. The Ad Execs are in your brain too.

Virgin/EMI owns Capitol, yes. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (MyFavoritePerson @ Feb 10 2009, 06:35 PM)
    You sound like Jack on Will and Grace, "The Banana has changed my life!!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgOnraMWb5Y

LOL! Well, I've always said with my love of Barbies, pretty colors, boys with nice hair, and clothing, if I were a guy I'd have to be gay.

QUOTE (DJRose @ Feb 10 2009, 06:50 PM)
    I was wrong about the method they'd employ, but it appears I was right after all, Rose. The Ad Execs are in your brain too.

Yes, ma'am! You are right. wink.gif Is it sad that if it were any other brand and any other band, with my cynicism toward the Industry, I'd probably accuse them of being corporate sell-outs?
  • 8O yay! I can just imagine it now. The glorious light in the background...the beautiful photos that make you feel like you can just reach out and touch them. oooh I'm excited.

At the end of this campaign, I'm going to salvage a window display. xD
  • PICTURE!

I don't know why, but this picture makes me sad. They just look like extremely attractive businessmen. Apparently extremely attractive businessmen make me sad?

And some more info HERE.
  • I am clearly the only one who likes the new look. And I'm ok with that. Because I look forward to going to Banana Republic next week, standing in front of that OK Go poster, and drooling much like I am drooling all over my keyboard at work. Shoot, IT is gonna be mad at me. That's the fifth since I joined this board! (KIDDING)
  • Even though I'm not crazy about the new look, I'm still very happy that I practically live down the street from a BR.