In this Discussion

Damian is Hot!

Comments

• This has GOT to be a pic from the concert at DK mentioned in his tumblr.

http://okgotour.tumblr.com/

http://www.facebook.com/okgo?v=photos#!/photo.php?pid=30817079&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=7112765682&id=1196348804&fbid=1338476340749

• ~~~~belly~~~~

• violetchaos364 said:~~~~belly~~~~

Three things:

1. Tim's WTF face and hand gesture

2. Damian's smile

3. Damian's pants are being held shut with tape

• beckysioux said:

violetchaos364 said:~~~~belly~~~~

Three things:

1. Tim's WTF face and hand gesture

2. Damian's smile

3. Damian's pants are being held shut with tape

Aha! Number three explains so much (honestly, there was more than one reason I was staring at that part of the photo! Wink). I couldn't figure out the "What's wrong with this picture?" answer for which my brain was asking.

Now that I know, I can't stop thinking of the old Stones' footage where Mick Jagger says to the crowd, "I think I've bust a button on me trousers..." as he tries to do them up properly. I'm now applying this scenario to Damian. After a pause, Jagger grins and tosses out a naughty little taunt, "You don't want my trousers to fall down now, do ya?"

Also, is it duct tape? Going all MacGyver on the Rock and Roll Wardrobe, I like it!

• Not to be a wet blanket, but there's actually a technical reason for the duct tape.  Samanferr and I discussed it with Sound Tech Mike, but he wouldn't tell us what it is, though.
  • No, I know. I was joking (a bit…I mean, I was thinking about the Stones thing and I have never seen it look quite so… well, I was having a "what's wrong here?" moment.). The tape is to prevent potential, um, anatomical/electrical interface.

Edit: a wet blanket could cause even more trouble, Rachel. ;)

(23)

• ChristelAdina said:

The tape is to prevent potential, um, anatomical/electrical interface.

For real?  Ha! 

There seems to be this long running thing with Damian's pants.  There were these red pants he was wearing to every show right around when Oh No came out that kept splitting.  And he was wearing them one night in London when he said "Have you all seen my pants" or something like that (forgetting, of course, that the British say trousers and "pants" means underwear).  And my personal favorite, when they were getting ready to migrate the boards over here ARoss posted an entry telling us how he was trying to preserve all our posts and archives, etc., but asking for our patience/assistance.  He said something to the effect of "with your help we can keep this a place with threads about Damian's pants splitting, and that's worth fighting for." 

• HOT DAMN

That's a spiller alert photo..Surprised

• So, I had an idea about the tape:

I'm pretty sure they're using gaffer's tape. They also have it completely around one of the packs on his back, I'm not sure if it's his WTD mic or in-ear monitors though. I'm leaning towards the in-ear monitors.

As I'm sure you've all noticed, he tends to sweat a lot during a show. Since the gaffer's tape is waterproof, they probably use it to keep his sweat from shorting out the packs since they're attached to his waistband which will stay moist longer than say the leg of his pant or his shirt.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

I suppose I should add this to my list of "Questions I'd like to ask OK Go some day."

• beckysioux said:

So, I had an idea about the tape:

I'm pretty sure they're using gaffer's tape. They also have it completely around one of the packs on his back, I'm not sure if it's his WTD mic or in-ear monitors though. I'm leaning towards the in-ear monitors.

As I'm sure you've all noticed, he tends to sweat a lot during a show. Since the gaffer's tape is waterproof, they probably use it to keep his sweat from shorting out the packs since they're attached to his waistband which will stay moist longer than say the leg of his pant or his shirt.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

I suppose I should add this to my list of "Questions I'd like to ask OK Go some day."

The sweat, and the proximity of the wiring to, er,  places that stay moist, is what I was referring to Wink

Can I be there when you find the right phrasing to ask this question?

• violetchaos364 said:~~~~belly~~~~

Whoa. 

Sorry, I can't be bothered thinking about technical stuff like in-ear monitors and gaffer's tape right now.  I'm a little distracted.

• ChristelAdina said:

Can I be there when you find the right phrasing to ask this question?

I'd probably just ask him why he uses tape to keep his pants from falling down. 

Snack_Cakes said:

Whoa. 

Sorry, I can't be bothered thinking about technical stuff like in-ear monitors and gaffer's tape right now.  I'm a little distracted.

You're a nerd. ;P

• squashedbanana said:
    Nothing needs to be said.

Now I believe we need to have a cogent discussion to examine the function of the black gaffer tape in the back of our subject, ah... mmm... ah,  ----  >>thud<< derf?

• beckysioux said:

Snack_Cakes said:

Whoa. 

You're a nerd. ;P

Wait a minute, I'm looking at the hot guy and you're discussing mics and other sound equipment. Who's the nerd here?

Wink

• Snack_Cakes said:
    beckysioux said:

Snack_Cakes said:

Whoa. 

You're a nerd. ;P

Wait a minute, I'm looking at the hot guy and you're discussing mics and other sound equipment. Who's the nerd here?

Wink

Touché

• Check out the wiring on that ear monitor.  I'd like examine its output.

(I'm just making a nerd joke, not speaking in euphemisms)

• DJRose said:

Check out the wiring on that ear monitor.  I'd like examine its output.

Either way, the post needed a splatter alert. This time it was from nerdy laughing more than fangirl overload, though.

Amber: I think the extra tape in the back is for the very simple and obvious ass-shaking reasons. He'd be shaking loose all sorts of connections (kind of like what happens to my brain when I click this thread), if it wasn't properly secured. 

And, speaking of properly secured…wait, no… can't go there… this board is probably PG rated. Surprised

Back to keeping Damian's pants up. My dad told me all sorts of silliness about various things Mick Jagger did in the late 70s and early 80s to keep his clothes from falling off onstage. See also: Iggy Pop. It seems these really skinny guys burn so much energy that they're actually losing a significant amount of weight. Enough to drop a couple sizes and/or drop their trousers. They sweat so much during shows that they could probably slide right out of those skinny jeans. This, apparently, is part of the reason Jagger had so many costume changes on tours back then.

Of course, I've no idea if this is the case with Damian. He could just be really clumsy with the equipment (I've also no idea if this is the case with the euphemism that sentence could be. Laugh I apologize to Mr. Kulash for any implications I may have just made. I've got a history of issues with inadvertently insulting and incorrect innuendo.).

• I must admit, I did not notice the tape. Embarassed
  • Sunnyside said:I must admit, I did not notice the tape. Embarassed

Tim wears it too.  Or at least he was at Bamboozle, which was an exceedingly hot day.

• DJRose said:

Check out the wiring on that ear monitor.  I'd like examine its output.

Laugh You made a funny.