In this Discussion

April 13th - Pepperdine - Share your concert experience

Comments

• QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 15 2007, 12:24 AM)
    lol, I dunno, white guys usually age really fast. Like, highschoolers look like they're 25 already. And they're actually 15. Damian looks 17. Forever. Innocent and pure <3 even though he swears like a mofo.

Well, that works out for the best, doesn't it Barbara? That way he won't stand out too much when he takes you to the prom! It was great meeting you; you're a laugh riot!! I don't know if I told you my screen name, but I'm Melinda.
  • QUOTE (littleroom @ Apr 13 2007, 11:52 PM)
    I loved the show tonight. They are very good performers. What I was most impressed with was the crowd. I loved this crowd! I felt like one of the oldest ones there (I'm 33) but I still loved this crowd!

No worries, LittleRoom. I was right there in the front row and I'm 36! I saw you after the show. I'm the one who gave you the OK Go sticker. Curly hair, dark glasses? That was me. I recognized you from your picture, but I didn't want to scare you!! I'm glad you had a good time.
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 14 2007, 12:40 AM)
    Yeah, so, here's all the pictures I took.

OKGO at Pepperdine, 4/13/07

What kind of magical camera did you use to get such great pictures? All of us on Tim's side of the stage got sucky, blurry shots. It probably didn't help that most of the time Tim would be completely engulfed in the damn fog. He is wee, after all. Although we did get to help Damian stand up on the barrier during "Don't Bring Me Down," so I guess it all evens out. By the way, the man's legs are chiseled from marble, seriously!!

How sad was it to watch the guys drive off? sad.gif I sure did find it endearing that Damian and Tim carpool, though! Part of me wonders if it has anything to do with Tim reportedly being a bad driver? If so, that just makes me go, "Aaaawwwww."
  • Sorry I'm making the forum look all "uglified." I don't know how to do the multiple quote thingy....
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 15 2007, 09:24 AM)
    lol, I dunno, white guys usually age really fast. Like, highschoolers look like they're 25 already. And they're actually 15. Damian looks 17. Forever. Innocent and pure <3 even though he swears like a mofo.

I do know a few guys (and gals) who look quite "young" in their thirties. They seem to have these tendencies in common:
    - They have more indoor hobbies than outdoor hobbies, and get less sun exposure
    - They don't have kids
    - They have an almost child-like, youthful love of fun, a sense of humor, and don't frown or grimace much. Their usual face is neutral, serene, or happy-looking.
    - They have fun and exciting lives or jobs
    - They're quite often artistic
    - They have friends who are similar, and disregard or shun those who might pressure them to act a certain way for their age
    - Their weight is pretty consistent over time; they don't stretch and shrink their skin repeatedly
    - They "think young"

Guys who look older tend to:
    - Have weight fluctuations
    - Be brawny, sporty, outdoorsy types (get more sun) and have a macho attitude, or be a wannabe in this way--this'll lead to a splotchy complexion and crow's feet.
    - Have dull lives and/or careers, and these situations seem to cause them to furrow their brows or frown a lot. Their usual face is creased and serious-looking. They'll often have really creased foreheads in their late 20's.
    - May have a sense of humor, but it relies more on machismo ("guy" humor)
    - Have kids
    - Cave into peer pressure and/or care too much, about what others think of them, their status, their accomplishments, etc.

Just my very loose observation. But because of that, I don't think there's a real way for a person in their thirties to look. You'll find them over the spectrum.
  • HEY MELINDA =D! Yeah I remember your handle smile.gif Nah don't trip about the quote shit, who cares smile.gif

Yeah, my heart broke when they drove off, especially with great speed. Sigh. ASRUEHASasd!

Kareh, you're completely right! lol, but unfortunately, most people have shitty jobs they hate and stuff, so they do age faster. Sigh. So the moral of the story is to be happy with your life, forever smile.gif sigh

Yummy! Chiseled legs, delicious. He is SO THIN! But sexy thin, not Augustana thin, LOL! HA!
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 15 2007, 10:16 AM)
    ASRUEHASasd!

Okay, help an old lady out... what does this mean?

QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 15 2007, 10:16 AM)
    ASRUEHASasd!

Yummy! Chiseled legs, delicious. He is SO THIN! But sexy thin, not Augustana thin, LOL! HA!

What the HELL was up with those Augustana guys? They were TOO skinny! And what kind of hard-core narcotics was that keyboard player on?? He was in la-la land, but he cracked me up. Every time I saw him I thought, "So easy as caveman can do it."
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 15 2007, 10:16 AM)

Bahahaaha!!! laugh.gif Augustana is one skinny band!!
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Apr 15 2007, 10:28 AM)
    What the HELL was up with those Augustana guys? They were TOO skinny! And what kind of hard-core narcotics was that keyboard player on?? He was in la-la land, but he cracked me up. Every time I saw him I thought, "So easy as caveman can do it."

They were super thin! Eat guys, eat. A sandwhich won't hurt. lol. Anyways, yes, the keyboardist was weird but I think he was the only one that was non-augustana thin! But I loved the hair on their drummer! Did you see his lovely locks? Unlike the lead singer and the guitarist who looked like they rolled out of bed and hadn't used conditioner in months.

Bah! No more Augustana bashing for me. I feel bad even writing this sad.gif

I kind of felt bad for them during their set sad.gif The crowd was pretty disrespectful and I know that the lead singer felt that way too. I enjoyed them though. They were just a bit too mellow on stage.
  • I love that the opened up with The House Wins. Damian came out and sang all sexy.

The other sexy factor with Mr. Kulash is the way he uses his eyes. His expression through his eyes. My goodness!

--- littleroom
  • QUOTE (littleroom @ Apr 15 2007, 07:13 PM)
    I love that the opened up with The House Wins. Damian came out and sang all sexy.

The other sexy factor with Mr. Kulash is the way he uses his eyes. His expression through his eyes. My goodness!
    --- littleroom

Awww it's great that you had such a good time smile.gif

I totally agree with you about the eyes thing. I called him arrogant last time I saw him and he looked at me sly-ly down and sideways (if that makes any sense at all...), sort of like "what a bitch" but brilliantly. And it was rather gorgeous. Argh don't get me started!!
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Apr 15 2007, 12:06 AM)
    Tabbykins, when did you show Tim your tattoo??? What did he say?? If I get one in my inner thigh, do you think I could show them too? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif I didn't know you had a sore throat :'( You sounded perfectly sexy, even at the end!

I showed it to him right as they drove up. Seriously, Adrienne's daughter went running after their car when she saw Tim was in it so I took it as the perfect opportunity to go with. I pretended as if I was with the kid and so I would seem less creepy.

I almost forgot, but thankfully Angela reminded me. I honestly can't remember what he said, try asking Angela.
  • Just a few thoughts and highlights from this show that I'd like to throw out there:

1. It was nice meeting all you boardies!! You guys are awesome! wub.gif And I loved our OK Go group hug on the really steep hill, haha.

2. I finally met Dan!! (Well actually I finally met someone from OK Go..) He was strolling around the venue with his fiance right before Cavil at Rest took the stage. I really didn't want to bother him, but I knew this would probably be my only opportunity. My brother (Tim) and I introduced ourselves as members of the Capitol Street Team and we showed him our work (all the posters we put up on the porta-potties tongue.gif ) and he thanked us. We had him sign two of the posters that we kept for ourselves. All in all, our meeting was very brief. I really regret not getting a picture with him, but then again we had already kinda invaded his privacy so I guess that's a good thing I didn't push it. But yes, Dan is such a sweet guy.

3. It seems like I always end up liking one of the opening bands and that continued to hold true that night. Cavil at Rest put on an entertaining set and the band members are some of the sweetest guys around. We actually gave a few of our OK Go stickers to them and one of the lead singers, Ryan, stuck one on his back. Haha. Then later, while we were waiting to get picked up by our parents, Ryan asked us if we were okay and had a ride back home. Awww.

4. OK Go's set seemed really short and rather rushed, considering they were headlining. Damian's on-stage banter was extremely limited (it felt like he didn't say anything in between songs at all..) I’m thinking Damian got a little irritated by the audio problems they were having. He actually switched guitars at the end. And Tim’s bass was sounding really weird at the beginning of “Get Over It” (I have a video of that and his confused face that I’ll probably upload later). Even still, they put on a great show despite the shortness of the set and the audio problems. I was glad they played “It’s a Disaster” since it’s rather rare live and it’s one of my favorites. Though I was a little disappointed they didn't do the AMW dance..

Here's the set list:
    The House Wins
    TV
    Don’t Ask Me
    No Sign of Life
    A Good Idea at the Time
    Get Over It
    (Acoustic)
    -AMW
    -What to Do
    It’s a Disaster
    OLISQ
    Invincible
    HIGA
    ELO
    DWYW

By the way, HUGE THANKS to Melinda and the girl behind me from the OK Go-Gos (sorry I didn’t catch your name!) for letting me keep the set list. I REALLY appreciate it. wub.gif After examining it, I realized that Tim's shoe print is on it. Well I'm thinking it is since it was his set list.

5. Even though we didn’t get to meet them after the show, it was nice that they at least waved back to us in their cars on their way out. It was seriously so cute to see Damian and Tim carpool together in their little old station wagon and the trunk filled with equipment. I wonder why they had to bring all that with them...

6. It absolutely kills me that I actually looked at Andy when he was walking out right past us at the exit before I realized it was him. It was rather dark so I couldn’t tell, and I assumed it was one of the guys from the opening bands. Anyways, we witnessed him driving on the wrong side of the road after he realized the right lane was barricaded off. I guess he was hell-bent on getting over there, but it was there for a reason Andy!! About 10 minutes later we saw him come back and drive the other way. I found that rather hilarious.

7. Dan turned left and saw the barricades too…but he was smart and decided to U-turn right then and there so he didn’t get lost. laugh.gif

8. I hope that all of you that attended were able to get some OK Go stickers from us (or the posters on the porta-potties). Thanks Melinda and Kimberly for helping us pass those out!!

9. I really hope that wasn’t the last show for me until their next album… although yes, they really need to start working on that next album!

I have LOADS of awesome pictures to upload (200+). Hopefully I’ll have them up on Photobucket by the end of the week and I’ll post the link here to share with all you lovely people. Maybe I’ll have a few videos up on YouTube too.
  • QUOTE (oknat @ Apr 15 2007, 02:52 PM)
    By the way, HUGE THANKS to Melinda and the girl behind me from the OK Go-Gos (sorry I didn’t catch your name!) for letting me keep the set list. I REALLY appreciate it. wub.gif After examining it, I realized that Tim's shoe print is on it. Well I'm thinking it is since it was his set list.

No problem. He obviously meant for you to have it; he looked right at you when he threw it! I don't know why that security guard wouldn't just hand it to you. There was no way I was going to let anyone else get it, either. My shoes would've come off and I would've thrown down! Kidding! I pretend to be very mad.gif , but I'm really very unsure.gif

I hope that all of you that attended were able to get some OK Go stickers from us (or the posters on the porta-potties). Thanks Melinda and Kimberly for helping us pass those out!!

Again, no problem. It was fun, and I was glad to do it. I just can't believe that some people turned them down! Fools, I tell you.

BTW, I think that's so awesome that the Cavil at Rest guy was looking out for you. I really liked those guys.
  • QUOTE (Redstar7 @ Apr 15 2007, 01:47 PM)
    I showed it to him right as they drove up. Seriously, Adrienne's daughter went running after their car when she saw Tim was in it so I took it as the perfect opportunity to go with. I pretended as if I was with the kid and so I would seem less creepy.

I almost forgot, but thankfully Angela reminded me. I honestly can't remember what he said, try asking Angela.

Two days seemed enough of a recovery period for me.

I don't know if this was him that said this or someone else, but I think he said it was going to be there for a long time. I think that may have been someone else. He was shocked and I think he said cool somewhere in there though. I remembered when I told him that I had a tattoo of their faces on my back he looked a little worried, but then I said just kidding. You should ask Adrienne to see if she remembers. Keep the memory circle going.

My concert experience was good. There was something that I enjoyed being outside in the elements and hearing them play. The cool breeze blowing my hair around, the lights breaking through the huge amounts of artificial fog, the opening note of The House Wins, and seeing them slowly appear, as the lights got brighter. It was almost religious.

Well it turned out that the fog was only cool for the first few songs and then it kept coming and then Tabatha kept getting angrier and angrier to the point where I was afraid for the people behind her that were pushing us against the barrier. There were also a few technical problems, but they fixed them fast and kept playing. They performed great. It was short and consisted of less concert interaction. I think there was something about being censored that may have caused this, but I really don’t know.

Getting to see them sound check was great as well. I felt really awkward though and tried not to stare at them and I don't know why. I guess if we made eye contact then they would notice we were there and then we would get arrested or something. I have a pretty intense imagination. I guess the talking and me playing with my camera could have given my position away as well. It was really neat (neat, cool, awesome, use what everyone you like) to see them warm up and get everything ready to perform. We made it through their entire warm-up, but then got kicked out when Augustana went set up.

Apart from the sound check, concert, and meeting up with all the amazing boardies, the best thing was getting free food from In and Out. That was the awesome. I went to the table expecting to pay $20.00 for a napkin and they told me it was free with the ticket. I mean wow, WOW! I know I am not the only one who gets excited over free stuff.

I am sure that I will remember a lot more stuff later on. It was nice meeting up with everyone again. Welcome back Barbara. Did you give the newspaper to Dan? I can’t remember if you did or not. Thanks for the stickers Natalie and Tim. You can never have enough sitckers. It was nice to finally meet you Mia. It was also nice to see you again Adrienne. Tell your son and daughter that I envy their bravery. I mean they ran up to that car without hesitation. It was nice to see you guys again Kimberly and Melinda. Finding that Denny's was an adventure in itself. Thanks you for picking up the bill Kimberly. I hope you guys had a nice time in little Holland or Sweden? The place with the windmills.

The group hug was refreshing. I’ll stop being all mushy now.
  • QUOTE (Angela87 @ Apr 15 2007, 05:11 PM)
    I hope you guys had a nice time in little Holland or Sweden? The place with the windmills.

Windmills and wooden shoes and tulips, oh my. I always associate those things with Holland, but this place was a Danish village. Huh? Denmark needs to work on coming up with some unique national symbols. They had amazing waffles, though!

I just got upgraded to "Friend of a Friend!"
  • Thank you for your nice write-ups. It's wonderful when boardies meet up at shows! Sounds like it was a lovely time - outdoors by the ocean and all that - and they played a pretty long set.

Factual question: What time was sound check (from when to when), and what time did OK Go start playing? I'm going to a similar show at Case Western in Cleveland, and I want to plan ahead!
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Apr 15 2007, 06:28 PM)
    Thank you for your nice write-ups. It's wonderful when boardies meet up at shows! Sounds like it was a lovely time - outdoors by the ocean and all that - and they played a pretty long set.

Factual question: What time was sound check (from when to when), and what time did OK Go start playing? I'm going to a similar show at Case Western in Cleveland, and I want to plan ahead!

It started around 3:15. I'm pretty sure of that because it was right after we got there. I'm not too sure about when it ended. Maybe 4:00?
  • QUOTE (Redstar7 @ Apr 14 2007, 12:56 PM)
    I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I had a hard time enjoying the concert. It had absolutely nothing to do with the guys performance, they did absolutely amazing of course. It was all the other factors going in that made it difficult. First, about an hour before the concert started waiting in line I got a sore throat which quickly let to full on sick. I could handle that, I have been to OK Go concerts sick before and managed and didn't affect my abilty to enjoy myself. This place had to make it difficult! The fog machines were pretty slow, barely putting out fog for the first two performers, but when it came to OK Go it was non-stop. Smoke + sore throat and sick = a whole lot of burning! I soon became irratable, and when anyone bumped into me I would shove them back.

That, plus the security gaurd up front was beyond rediculous. I put my purse on this barrier in front of me, something I do at almost every concert and no one EVER has a problem with it. Not this security guard. We set our drinks on the edge while we were situating ourselves, he came over and told us we had to move them. Barbara, god I love that girl said, "Why, they might spill and make the grass sticky?" to which he replied they could get the wires wet, and pointed kind of far away from where we were. And if a jacket was resting on it, oh no! You had to move it.

Basically, the best part of the night was being able to watch OK Go do their sound check. I mean, we were up by the stage watching them. It was pretty amazing. Showing Tim my tattoo, which I'm far too drugged up on cold medicine right now to remember what he said about it. And, getting another picture with Mr. A. Ross.

Just got home and IM uploading the pictures. Not Sure when I will have them posted but wanted to add I have a pic of Tim looking at your tatoo. When he saw it he said is that real?
  • QUOTE (mumblo @ Apr 15 2007, 04:16 PM)
    Huh? Denmark needs to work on coming up with some unique national symbols. They had amazing waffles, though!

Wildly off topic, since I'm part Danish - (my Danish grandfather came to America because he'd been smuggling Jews/POWs out and the evil AXIS got wise to him, so he figured he'd better leave) - the Danish national symbol is "The Little Mermaid" from the story by Hans Christian Andersen. There's a statue of her in the Copenhagen harbor.

[attachment=335:mermaid.jpg]

Back on topic (sort of). Why does everyone avoid Dan's fiance? She's quite wonderful in her own right, I believe. When I met OK Go in Las Vegas on NYE, I was standing next to her at the time Damian and Dan asked me if I wanted my picture taken with the band. There was some confusion about who I was going to stand next to. I had no idea who she was but she was laughing and approachable, so I just reached over and put my arm around her and said "I'll take my picture with you...who are you?" and she laughed some more and pointed at Dan and said "I'm Dan's fiance."

Respect her space, sure, but she seems quite grounded and human. smile.gif I think she can take a few hellos from fans in stride.