In this Discussion

Random Picture thread

Comments

• an extra crazy hippy health freak, maybe?
  • Actually, it's probably gelatin free since gelatin comes from animals (usually hooves). It probably actually has sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, a sugar substitute that's REALLY bad for you, but yet is in almost all of our food products.

It's sad that I know this, but the "organic" probably refers to the lack of high fructose corn syrup as that's a really big health issue. (I tried to stop eating it, and that was easy in Canada because they banned its use. However, it's near impossible in the US as everything from Oreos to Campbell's Soup has it as a main ingredient).

Is it weird that I think organic lollipops are completely normal?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 7 2007, 06:54 AM)
    Actually, it's probably gelatin free since gelatin comes from animals (usually hooves). It probably actually has sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, a sugar substitute that's REALLY bad for you, but yet is in almost all of our food products.

It's sad that I know this, but the "organic" probably refers to the lack of high fructose corn syrup as that's a really big health issue. (I tried to stop eating it, and that was easy in Canada because they banned its use. However, it's near impossible in the US as everything from Oreos to Campbell's Soup has it as a main ingredient).

making it gelatin free doen't make it organic, just makes it vegetarian...

wow you know a lot about these issues! i didn't knew any of this!i think that everyday, you have to pay more attention to what you eat and to what you use. I was joking about the lollipops, never thought that it was so bad for health... huh.gif
  • Organic lollypops is nothing - I've had sugar free ones. It was great because it was the first time in years that I could eat one. And they're actually not that bad smile.gif
  • you can't eat sugar electra?
  • Nope, I'm diabetic.
    It sucks. Lol.

But I've got an insulin pump now, so I don't do shots and I can eat pretty much anything I like now! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 7 2007, 05:24 PM)
    Nope, I'm diabetic.
    It sucks. Lol.

But I've got an insulin pump now, so I don't do shots and I can eat pretty much anything I like now! biggrin.gif

that's great!! i have a friend who's diabetic too but he has to take the shots.
    today i was at the farmacy and they were showing me the many kinds of insuline that exist right now and i had no idea! i know some of the tecniques of producing insuline and it can get even better in a few years...

some time ago the insuline was only taken from porks and it was really expensive and dangerous, now it's just produced but bacterias and it's almost 100% safe...

you porbably already know all of this but i was fascinated biggrin.gif
  • Oh wow, it's great that you know so much about it! They're developing a pill for it as well, and a machine that tests your blood sugar and feeds the information to a similar machine as the one I've got, so it's like an electronic pancreas! I'm so excited. But the pump is a huge hassle to have...

Well, Mia my dear, if you wanna know anything else, I'm here! I do tonnes of research into diabetes - I like to keep up to date with the things I can do to help myself.
  • Aw, Electra, that's really nice. (No, not that you have diabetes - that's awful! - but that you do reasearch and that they're making new and better things to help diabetics.) I mean, they have to, otherwise we wouldn't have awesome kumfs like yours!
  • Awww, thanks, Courtney! smile.gif

When i first got it, I bought a microscope and made slides of my mom's blood to compare them with my own blood, and I borrowed chemicals from the school science department to somehow find out more. This was before I had easy access to the internet, obviously tongue.gif
  • Aw! wub.gif

I think you should beocme a scientist someday. Or something more awesome. Like an Electra. I;ve always wanted to be an Electra.
  • yup electras are the raddest of the species
  • I hear only the lucky get to be an Electra, let alone meet one. Well, today's 7/7/07, maybe it's our lucky day. wink.gif
  • *blushes*
    I love you guys so much!

Well I'm trying to become a doctor. But a Courtney or a Melissa would be equally awesome smile.gif
  • Yes! Finally, a docotr I can go to witohut feeling scared...or maybe not? tongue.gif

Yeah, I heard Courtneys and Melissas are pretty rad, but Electras are top of the line. Just equip them with some Damians, and you're all set.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jul 7 2007, 01:54 AM)
    Actually, it's probably gelatin free since gelatin comes from animals (usually hooves). It probably actually has sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, a sugar substitute that's REALLY bad for you, but yet is in almost all of our food products.

ah, that makes sense... and no, not really. I wouldn't think to worry about lollipops in terms of being unnecessarily unhealthy, but I think it's great that people do, because now I don't have to hehe.

ah, and Electra, my uncle's diabetic. He's also allergic to dogs, and when I was little, I thought that the reason I couldn't have a dog was because he was diabetic. laugh.gif fortunately, dogs don't usually effect people's diabetes.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 7 2007, 05:51 PM)
    Oh wow, it's great that you know so much about it! They're developing a pill for it as well, and a machine that tests your blood sugar and feeds the information to a similar machine as the one I've got, so it's like an electronic pancreas! I'm so excited. But the pump is a huge hassle to have...

Well, Mia my dear, if you wanna know anything else, I'm here! I do tonnes of research into diabetes - I like to keep up to date with the things I can do to help myself.

aaaww thanks!! wink.gif

when i finally become a pharacist (here it's a different job because i can do scientific research in areas like biotecnology and sooo many others) and you become a doctor, we should do some research together!

People nowadays are really obcessed with the healing of diseases that are really unknow like the HIV or some types of cancer but it never occured to some people that there are much "simple" problems or at least problems that we know better what it's about and make some people's lifes well...a lot more difficult than it should!Diabeties is one of them. And just a few years ago people were discriminated when they were diabetic, which is just one of the STUPIDEST things i've ever seen...

It's really cool of you to try to turn a problem into an objective instead of just complaining about it, you're actually getting informed and trying to change what's going on by becoming a doctor wink.gif i admire you Electra
  • mia... i love your avatar.

so completely unrelated. but i just do smile.gif
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 7 2007, 09:21 PM)
    ah, and Electra, my uncle's diabetic. He's also allergic to dogs, and when I was little, I thought that the reason I couldn't have a dog was because he was diabetic. laugh.gif fortunately, dogs don't usually effect people's diabetes.

Aww that's so sweet! smile.gif When i first got diabetes, I was convinced that I had 3 months to live and that was it. Then they said I couldn't have Frosted Flakes and I realized that the reality was FAR worse.

QUOTE (m_I_a @ Jul 7 2007, 10:03 PM)
    aaaww thanks!! wink.gif

when i finally become a pharacist (here it's a different job because i can do scientific research in areas like biotecnology and sooo many others) and you become a doctor, we should do some research together!

People nowadays are really obcessed with the healing of diseases that are really unknow like the HIV or some types of cancer but it never occured to some people that there are much "simple" problems or at least problems that we know better what it's about and make some people's lifes well...a lot more difficult than it should!Diabeties is one of them. And just a few years ago people were discriminated when they were diabetic, which is just one of the STUPIDEST things i've ever seen...

It's really cool of you to try to turn a problem into an objective instead of just complaining about it, you're actually getting informed and trying to change what's going on by becoming a doctor wink.gif i admire you Electra

Yes, we should work together!!! Hehe smile.gif

Oh yeah, I've had nasty comments about my diabetes - God's trying to punish me, it's contagious so get away from me - that kind of thing. But in the case of people thinking it's contagious, I just go and give them a kiss on the cheek and REALLY freak them out wink.gif

Aww that's so sweet of you!! wub.gif It's great that, as a future pharmacist, you take such an interest in it as well, even though you're not directly affected by these problems. I find that admirable smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 7 2007, 10:21 PM)
    Aww that's so sweet! smile.gif When i first got diabetes, I was convinced that I had 3 months to live and that was it. Then they said I couldn't have Frosted Flakes and I realized that the reality was FAR worse.
    Yes, we should work together!!! Hehe smile.gif

Oh yeah, I've had nasty comments about my diabetes - God's trying to punish me, it's contagious so get away from me - that kind of thing. But in the case of people thinking it's contagious, I just go and give them a kiss on the cheek and REALLY freak them out wink.gif

Aww that's so sweet of you!! wub.gif It's great that, as a future pharmacist, you take such an interest in it as well, even though you're not directly affected by these problems. I find that admirable smile.gif

you know, all of my friends are in the healthcare area, some are taking medicine, some are pharmacists, some others are nurses some are taking fisiotherapy and everyday we exchange experiences about what we see when we're working out there with people and you just see how insignificant we are in the world and how gratefull we should be by having everything that we have everyday...and that those people in hospitals are just like us...it can happen to anyone! Some people forget about it

i think if people made nasty comments to you about diabetes near me, i'd punch them in the face tongue.gif GET INFORMATION YOU IGNORANTS!!