In this Discussion

Interpol

Comments

• QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Jul 15 2007, 10:59 AM)
    haha omg, i think Paul was telling sam a story or something and he was soo excited and he did this thing with his hands like big boobs or something, awwww but i couldn't catch it on video sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

wub.gif wub.gif

PAUL AND SAM ARE TOOO AWESOME!!!!

laugh.gif hahahaha oh boys!!!

ah i can't even write how wonderful they are!! it's just impossible to fathom their brilliance smile.gif
  • ^^
    hahah

aww, i know!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

who do u think that is there?? IM THERE PAUL!!! hhah

wub.gif wub.gif

i think the heats getting to me again
  • ^^^ awwww laugh.gif

PAUL'S THERE! PAUL'S THERE!!!!!!!!

i don't even have the heat as an excuse for being insane

awww i have to meet with sane people soon. ugh they're going to be all normal and boring
  • ^^
    awwww sad.gif

boooooooooooooooooo!

sane ppl suck!

if we all actually knew each other we'd be even more crazy...thats a scary thought.
    its like, oh, Paul's staying at that hotel, lets go stalk him...and BOOM! we're in jail. haha.
  • laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

aw i thought you were going to say ...and BOOM! we're engaged!!

hehe at least we'd have fun, getting arrested all over the world.... while working on their bus of course! wink.gif

EDIT: HAHA i accidentally wrote whoring!! laugh.gif omg that's awful, i'm sorry
  • Saw this and thought of you guys:

Exclusive: Interpol Explain Our Love To Admire Track By Track
    Friday July 13, 2007 @ 04:30 PM
    By: ChartAttack.com Staff
    http://chartattack.com/damn/2007/07/1302.cfm

Interpol

Interpol are Chart's July 2007 cover artists. It's our annual artist-written issue, and also features The National talking to Arcade Fire, Bedouin Soundclash talking to Bad Brains and Dresden Doll Amanda Palmer talking about the time she saw a guy light his penis on fire in Toronto.

Interpol guitarist Daniel Kessler and bassist Carlos D gave us a little insight into the songs on their new Our Love To Admire album. Tracks one to six are explained by Kessler, while D takes over for the remaining songs.

1. "Pioneer To The Falls" — "Pioneer" was, I think, the second song we wrote for this record. It's a pretty complicated song, but it came out pretty naturally. I wrote the main guitar bit at home and then the band wrote everything else around it. We wrote keys as a prominent member of the band, so with that in mind, while we were writing "Pioneer," keyboards played a great role in the genesis of the song. We came up with a lot of ideas, then kept the ones we liked, then organized them in the perspective of the song. We kept wanting to introduce new things, keep the song building and building. Sometimes that piling things on can be a bad thing, but it worked out here. It wasn't over-thought. Halfway through the writing process we talked about making it the first song on the record, so we knew before we recorded it.

2. "No I In Threesome" — I had that progression for a little while, guitar-wise. Again, that was a song that greatly benefited from keyboard arrangements. That song is unlike "Pioneer," which takes you to places you don't know. It's a pretty challenging song, "Pioneer." "No I In Threesome" is a bit more of a classic tune. It's definitely got a verse-chorus-verse-chorus kind of feel. But the atmosphere we had around it gave it sort of a different vibe to the chord progression, which is kind of classic.

3. "The Scale" — I don't have favourites on the record, and "The Scale" definitely isn't my favourite, but just when it comes on it feels right. There's a really slow groove to the whole thing, and it's a really non-traditional song where it kind of stays on the same keel and then changes keys three-quarters of the way through. There's a really ambitious breakdown. I don't know if we pulled it all off, and in fact we made that song one way and then went back and remixed it. In the end, it's still very different for Interpol because there's more than meets the eye. There's not a lot happening, but everything that's happening is happening for a very specific reason.

4. "The Heinrich Maneuver" — I believe that's the first song we wrote for the record. I remember Sam [Fogarino] and I jamming that song before we started writing the others, and it felt pretty good just bouncing around. It's definitely one of the songs that when we play live has the most energy. You can really just feel Interpol charging forward.

5. "Mammoth" — I think "Mammoth" is a very definitive song for the record. I think Paul [Banks] sang the best he ever has on this record. His falsetto on this song fits very naturally. That was one of the songs that you're writing and you have disagreements and treaties and amnesties and so forth. At a certain point you're like, "I'm committed to this, but I don't know what it is." And then you look back and you go, "That song's pretty good." Those are the best kinds of songs. It doesn't remind me of "Not Even Jail," but it does in the sense that I think it will age well. That song was different for Antics. I think "Mammoth" is kind of the same thing for this record.

6. "Pace Is A Trick" — That was probably the third or fourth song we wrote. It's how some songs just move pretty quickly. The drums don't come in for a minute-and-a-half, so it gives the listener a bit of a breather, again, a bit of an air of mystery. Paul is right at the front of the track. I think with a lot of the songs he sounds different from track to track. That one, as much as it doesn't seem like it would be too complicated and I had the progressions done for a while, it took us to some spots where we were like, "Uh, how are we gonna get out of this?" This song definitely had a lot of "do we really need this or that?" and those are important conversations to have. When you get out of those conundrums, you feel very validated.

7. "All Fired Up" — It's a song that had been on the back burner for a long time because it was like a different aesthetic right off the bat. There was Daniel's rockabilly-ish kind of riff, and we always wondered how we were going to Interpol-ize this thing. It was quite a challenge for us. We waited a long time and then finally it clicked one day and became what it is now. It's weird.

8. "Rest My Chemistry" — That song kind of wrote itself. Some songs are stubborn. Others kind of go with the flow. That one really went with the flow. It's a pretty straightforward song, wears its heart on its sleeve.

9. "Who Do You Think That Is There?" — Paul and I had a long debate about that one. The guitar riff itself that served as the genesis of the song, because of the way Daniel plays it, it's not exactly obvious right away that the riff begins at a certain point. So there was contention among the band members as to what the actual nature of this guitar riff was, and it took a long time to resolve this. We both had our own different interpretations.

10. "Wrecking Ball" — It has kind of a Brian Eno vibe to it. And then at the end it shifts into this orchestral, symphonic thing. It's quite an immediate song because verse vocal melody is very visceral. But then the rest of it is way out there.

11. "The Lighthouse" — We knew from the moment Daniel brought that riff in that this song was going to be a different beast from anything we've done before. So that, in particular, was a challenge. I mean the rockabilly thing was a challenge, but at least we knew there was going to be drums and bass. But with this one, we were like all bets are off. We were very happy with the outcome.
  • ^^ aww thanks!!!

OH, and JB remember that thing i was telling you about, when paul took off his hat??? WELL SOMEONE GOT IT!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGON5i89ZhI
    awwww with his water, awwwww

wub.gif wub.gif

I LOVE U DJ FANCY PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • if things go the way i want them to, and i work for a record company or something, then i promise i will be your "connection" and give you all access to interpol (and paolo).

cool.gif

i hope that day comes..
  • Thanks Mixtape!!! that's awesome!

QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Jul 15 2007, 03:03 PM)
    OH, and JB remember that thing i was telling you about, when paul took off his hat??? WELL SOMEONE GOT IT!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGON5i89ZhI
    awwww with his water, awwwww

wub.gif wub.gif

I LOVE U DJ FANCY PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awwwwwww he's adorable!! haha when he fans himself and everyone squeals and he gives this little smile because he's realised they're squealing for him!! awww and the way he pops the cap back on so quickly after that hehe and he's drinking his sexy water!!! i'm melting!!
    he kinda looks like a little boy, the way he fixes his fringe and pulls the cap down over his face!
    wub.gif

QUOTE (amberdino @ Jul 15 2007, 04:35 PM)
    if things go the way i want them to, and i work for a record company or something, then i promise i will be your "connection" and give you all access to interpol (and paolo).

cool.gif

i hope that day comes..

i hope that day comes too!!!!! awww you ROCK!! thanks ambie! hehe mabye you can even get us better jobs than bus cleaners! wub.gif
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Jul 15 2007, 06:35 AM)
    if things go the way i want them to, and i work for a record company or something, then i promise i will be your "connection" and give you all access to interpol (and paolo).

cool.gif

i hope that day comes..

hahah, awww

that would be so amazing...ahhhhhh!!
    then we could be like those dumb conceited ppl that are always walking aroung with vips passes and stuff...yes!!

QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Jul 15 2007, 08:14 AM)
    awwwwwww he's adorable!! haha when he fans himself and everyone squeals and he gives this little smile because he's realised they're squealing for him!! awww and the way he pops the cap back on so quickly after that hehe and he's drinking his sexy water!!! i'm melting!!
    he kinda looks like a little boy, the way he fixes his fringe and pulls the cap down over his face!
    wub.gif

ahhhhhhhh!!!!
    i know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

i had the biggest smile when he did that. i think all the girls in the audience were just ahhhhhh!!!
  • oooh, thanks for that article mixtape!!!
    I like how the first six, which Daniel explained, are really in-depth and lengthy... and then Carlos comes in, and his explanations are really short and to the point. laugh.gif

arrgghh... I need to find someone to come with me before I can buy tickets. and that's not happening, cause none of my friends really like Interpol enough to see them live.
  • Oooo i want a VIP pass!!!

Milky, i really hope you find someone to go with you!! it would be awful if you had to miss out just because your friends don't like them sad.gif Good luck!

Angela, that is completely adorable! awww hehe Paul looks so happy!! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Jul 15 2007, 11:01 PM)
    Angela, that is completely adorable! awww hehe Paul looks so happy!! biggrin.gif

haha, with me, he would be

hehe

i was bored, im sry....PLUS! i dont know how to draw sad.gif
  • im not sure if i already posted this or if u guys have seen it, but:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0lALrJJPo

just watch, i wont spoil the suprise....
  • ^^^ awww!! i hadn't seen it but the title kind of ruined it a little. i'll try not to say anymore. hehe
    thanks for the link!
  • ^^
    haha, ur welcome

i can't stop laughing!!! ahh, but i feel so bad.

the thing is, its not the first time...if i was him, id take the hint, and stop, haha

awwwww <3
  • yeah, he's very... enthusiastic. moves with the music, you know?

i laughed and then i felt guilty, although it was bound to happen sooner or later

poor baby!

EDIT: There was an Interpol article in the paper and now it's on my whiteboard smile.gif Apparently it was taken from the New York Times... it's a SIGN!!

EDIT AGAIN: go to Interpol's myspace and listen to the track titled "Heinrich Maneuver P..." blink.gif i won't say anything more, just do it...
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Jul 15 2007, 09:46 PM)
    im not sure if i already posted this or if u guys have seen it, but:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0lALrJJPo

just watch, i wont spoil the suprise....

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel is my hero

seriously.

and hmm... Heinrich Maneuver P... ummmmm it doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with the real Heinrich Maneuver, does it? I mean a little bit... the drum machine at the very beginning...and Paul's vocals at the end... but other than that... huh. interesting.
  • ^^
    hehe

u guys, i was bored AGAIN!
    TRY AND GUESS

hint: none from antics

NEW INTERVIEW WITH PAUL AND DANIEL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAy0fD8e1v4

WATCH NOW!!!!!! PAUL IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    OOOOOO CUTE!!!!

EDIT: INTERPOL ON THE COVER OF SPIN!!!!
    lovely article....how i love them so!!!!
    plus, it has the sexiest pics of paul EVER!!!