In this Discussion

sad list

1121314151618»

Comments

• I thought this would be the best place to post this since this is, after all, the sad list.

A decade ago the Twin Towers fell. I know, I know, a lot of you have already been bombarded by this, but it is a sad day and it's important to remember the victims and the heroes. I was so small I can't remember anything that day, but my empathy goes out to anyone who was hurt in any way, shape, or form that day.
  • Feeling really sad right now - my ferret, Bam Bam, passed away last weekend and I had to pick up his ashes today.  His sister Pebbles died this past summer, and now our home feels really empty without our little buddies. They were a huge part of our lives for almost eight years, and it's just kind of hard to believe that they're not here anymore...
  • glamour_and_sedition said:

Feeling really sad right now - my ferret, Bam Bam, passed away last weekend and I had to pick up his ashes today.  His sister Pebbles died this past summer, and now our home feels really empty without our little buddies. They were a huge part of our lives for almost eight years, and it's just kind of hard to believe that they're not here anymore...

:(  That's a hard day.

I'm glad you had them for almost eight years.

Did they do pawprints or anything at the vet?
  • Thank you, fellow ferret lover :).  No, the vet didn't offer to do the paw print thing, and I didn't even think to ask.  What a nice idea; thanks for mentioning it.  We did get one of those pretty little urns for his ashes, though. 
  • I'm so sorry about your ferrets, G&S. :-(
  • Thank you, Rachel.  Resolved today to think happy thoughts about them, and to be grateful that they had pretty long and mostly healthy lives.  (Feeling better already - thanks, boardies!)
  • Aw.  I'm glad you were (are?) starting to feel better.

I felt bad after posting that about paw prints, thinking, "Ack, if they didn't get something like that, it's just going to make her feel worse" ...

I guess it's something to be aware of in the future, that that sort of thing can be done.

I didn't know anybody even did things like that until we lost Aramis three years ago.  Brad picked up his ashes, and when I got home from work that day I saw this ceramic disc on the kitchen table in a little kinda mesh bag, and it had his front paw prints pressed into it.  You can even see little indents where the points of his claws went in.  I was a basket case.  We had no idea we were going to be receiving that.
    It also has "ARAMIS" and a little heart imbedded into it.

Then when we lost Chloe last year, the vet office here (we had moved; different vet) did an ink print of one of her paws on a paper with a thing about forever friends on it.  [It didn't come out wonderfully, but it's nice to have.]

Thinking of ya (and Bam-Bam & Pebbles).
  • Michael, one of my best friends in the world, died Dec 30. He was born with a heart defect but otherwise healthy. He got the problem value replaced about seven years ago. That valve ruptured and he died in his sleep. Jan 2 would have been his 38th birthday. He left behind his wife Kristin (another of my best friends and my college roommate) and his 10 and 5 year old daughters. I've known and loved him since college. I had met his roommate Randy a couple years previously and met up with him again through Michael. I'm married to Randy now. So, the four of us liked to say we just switched roommates.

Anyway, so, here it goes on the sad list. Frown
  • So sorry, Amber :(
  • Honey, I am so sorry. ::HUGS::
  • How awful. So sorry to hear of your loss, Amber.
  • Thanks guys. It's been a bit easier lately, but being really sick the following week sure didn't help!

To link him with OK Go memories - 

Michael was the one who took my picture for Lecitia's birthday card collage for Tim. (And his wife Kristin, also my buddy, was the one who filimed my part with the chair for Dan's birthday video.)

He lovingly teased me about my obsessiveness (and enabled it), once
    even commenting, "Hey, it took you an hour to work OK Go into the
    conversation! That's a record!"

Once I went to their house and
    the first thing Michael did was handle me a electronic game and just
    said, "Watch." It was his daughter's DS (fill in the name of whatever
    thingy that was that had the -) with the 3-D OK Go White Knuckles dog
    video.

He also called me when he saw they were going to be on one
    show or another and linked relevant articles to me on Facebook or via
    emai.

He was appropiately impressed with Andy's programming skills. (Michael was a software developer/programmer.) He readily accepted that OK Go was not just another band (and not just the treadmill band).

He wasn't a fan, but he loved me, and sharing OK Go-ness was one of the ways he showed he cared about me.

A side note (not having to do with OK Go) - the last thing we did together was watch 'The Hobbit' trailer. That's a nice 'last thing ever'.
  • :)  Cool memories.
  • I don't know if this is national news or not, but we here in Southern Illinois got woke up this morning (5 am) by sirens, a horrible storm, and a tornado.  My husband and I jumped out of bed, ran and grabbed our daughter and took cover (not even any time to grab our beloved cats).  Luckily, we were fine, but ten individuals were not so lucky.  Please think of their families today. Cry
  • I'm glad *you're* okay, NinjaCat. :-)
  • yes, glad you're okay ninjacat, and stay safe during tomorrows storms...