In this Discussion

Grant Park May 16, 2008

Comments

• haha however... the first picture, they've got the instrument right. then, they called damian 'andy' and then andy 'tim'

hahahah yips. but the pictures are beautiful!
  • MORE STORIES PLEASE
    I want to read everyones experiences from the recent shows!!!

• It's been a few days since the show, so I hope I haven't forgotten everything.

I got to the stage about 5:30. I found Rebekker and her friends there in front of one of the gates. I walked up to them and sat with them as I didn't feel like standing by myself. We talked about Grand Rapids and Manifest for a while. Then someone suggested a game of Duck Duck Goose. I being lazy opted not to play. Then we started to play Heads Up Seven Up, which was actually kinda fun. As we were playing, Damian (holding a crap load of clothing) and Tim walked out of the entrance we were standing in front of. One of us asked if they would like to play Heads Up Seven Up with us. Damian said he didn't remember that game. Then we explained that we were playing Duck Duck Goose, but only three people were playing so it didn't really work out. One of us asked if he'd want to play Duck Duck Goose, he declined and said that he actually had to go somewhere. So, he said that he had a game he could teach us and we could play that while we were waiting.

I'm gonna call it the Damian Game as he didn't give us a name for it. Now, you can have any number of players, but they must be in teams of two. When the teams get together, they will need to write down the names of famous people. Depending on how big the entire group is, each team will write from 2-? names. They then fold up the papers and put them in the middle of the circle. For each correct answer, the team gets a point. There is also a time limit to figure out the answer, it can be anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute, or more.

Round 1 - the first team picks a name. A has to give clues to B to figure out who the famous person is. Let's use Tim as an example. The first team picks Tim, so A has to give clues, like "bassist" "OK Go" "fashion-forward dresser" "BAMF". B then has to figure out who it is based on the clues. You go through each team until all the names have been used. Now keep in mind, you should be listening to all the clues that are being said as they will be useful for the next two rounds.

Round 2 - the teams again pick names, but this time you use Charades to figure out the answer.

Round 3 - This is the final round. This time you can only use one word as a clue. So, if you have Tim, you might say bassist or glasses.

Tally the points to find out who wins.

Damian said that it's a really fun party game and even better when drunk. The entire time Tim was just standing next to Damian. I'm pretty sure what was going through his mind was, "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, will he ever shut up?" Then he told us good luck and they had to leave. So, what do we do, we get some paper and play the game. It was actually a pretty fun game and I would love to play it again sometime.

Then it was just about time for the gates to open. I brought with my camera even though it said everywhere, no cameras or recording devices allowed. I stashed it in a smaller bag with certain things guy security members don't like touching. Which didn't really matter anyway because he just peered into my bag and didn't rummage around. Then I run to the stage to get to Andy-Land. I probably didn't need, none of us really needed to, but we did anyway. It was pretty sparse in the park until the kids from the festival started walking over in a parade. It was kind of spectacular and kinda creepy. It's really hard to describe and I really don't want to remember most of it.

Finally it's 8pm and the show is about the start. Up walks I guess a dean or something of that level and talks about the festival. Then asks if we're all ready for OK Go, crowd erupts and he scurries off the stage. Lights out, OK Go take the stage and open with Television Television. Here's the set list.

The show was of course spectacular, but the Gestapo needed to die. I was able to take some pics and vids of Don't Ask Me, The Fix Is In and a bit of Prove My Love before they got to me.

Right before The Fix Is In, Damian noticed that some of the students were dressed as robots. So, he invited them up on stage. He then said that Andy was a programmer, that he was programming them to dance. Much hilarity ensued, and who knew that The Fix Is In is a song you dance to. Watch the video, it does not disappoint. And seriously, it seems like the last few shows I've been to, Damian has put something on his head. Oh, check out Andy geeking out every so often.

I can't remember which song it was, but the kids started to crowd surf. Well, there was a girl that was crowd surfing and well, they kinda dropped her. At least I'm assuming so based on the look on Damian's face, and when I looked back she wasn't surfing anymore. Oops.

Starting about the middle of the show, the kids started to get rowdy and were pushing really hard toward the front. So, all of us right in front got crushed into the gate. The kids pushed so hard that the gate started to give in. Not cool. I tried pushing back, but then they'd push foward harder. It was probably the worst during HIGA as that was probably the only song they really knew. However, there was a silver lining. During HIGA, Tim and Andy walk to the edge of the stage so they're pretty much within reach of the audience below. I'm of course dancing as best I could with the morons behind me. Then Andy looks down at me. Smiles. And nods. BEST EYE CONTACT EVER!!!! After we break eye contact, Rebekker nudges me and is like, OMG he was totally looking at you. I know it wasn't much, but that little smile and nod made me feel so good, gah, there aren't words.

Anyway, I didn't take my camera back out until the encore. I got some pretty crappy pics of the light-up jackets. I think Dan's jacket has a short or something because the G that's supposed to be on his back didn't really come out right. So, it kinda looked like O K adlskfjaisdf O.

They did the ELO cover and Damian of course jumps back out into the audience. Only problem, he jumps onto the gate that isn't really functioning as a gate anymore. Then he slowly declined into the audience. He ends up sorta surfing as the crowd tries to deposit him back into the area in front of the stage without breaking him or the gate more.

Then they go into Do What You Want. The ENTIRE crowd was jumping around at this point. And this is also about when we thought the gate was going to completely break and we would be trampled. Luckily the gate managed to only go to about 45 degrees and not go to a 0 degree angle.

Once DWYW was done, the crowd dispersed. Which was a godsend as it got much cooler and I was able to move away from the broken gate. We waited a while to see if we could get set lists or whatever, but then meandered to where the green room was. However we couldn't go back there, you needed a pass to get back there. I was fine with that as we could still see what was happening through the gate. Then security started to walk around saying that the park was closing. I only saw Damian near the green room talking with fans. Then Andy starts to walk out in normal clothes with a security guard attached to his hip. A bazillion fan girls "attack" him. But he continues to walk. One of the girls walked right next to him, I'm assuming talking about whatever, but he didn't stop or anything like that. We were debating if we should follow or continue to wait. We spot that he's stopped in front of the van that was going to spirit him away, so we decide to go over there.

As we get there, Andy's in the front seat and the van starts to move. Rebekker's sister screams for him and the van stops. She shows him her shirt, one of the guys we were with told him to thank Damian for the game he taught us earlier. Andy says he will.

Then I wave and smile at him. He notices me, something clicks, gives me a smile and waves back. Then he points at me, smiles and says, "Becky, right?" Then the van takes him away. I say, "Yes, you are so awesome" as he's being driven away. I start jumping like a moron then scream my head off. I'm pretty sure he heard me and now thinks I'm huge freak. But I can't. stop. smiling. I didn't get to talk to him, but he remembered me and my name. wub.gif

I'm such a fan girl.

You can see all the pics (that I was able to get *shakes fist at Gestapo*) from the show here. And of course, a few obligatory photos below:

RAWR!!!

Yes, those are robots on stage.

Excellent show. And I can't stop smiling.
  • Awesome pictures Becky! Those definately just made me so much happier. My little camera doesn't take that great of pictures.

I think Andy was a little confused when the guy, Steven, that was with us was trying to tell him to tell Damian thanks. Steven had to tell him twice and then Andy said he would remember to tell him. Andy still seemed a little lost on what he was talking about though. And yes, I think the "Damian Game" as a name fits.

And I am still so jealous of you tongue.gif
  • smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Loved the write-up as usual, Becky! HE REMEMBERS YOUUUU!! Ahhh you lucky, lucky girl smile.gif

Your camera seriously take THE best pictures ever...99% of the time I use YOUR pictures as my computer wallpaper...haha so thank you very much smile.gif

• That sounds like a great time minus the crazy drunk people.
    And I agree your pictures are AMAZING. The colors turned out really nice.

And I have deff played the "Damian game" before. I never had a name for it before though, so I think I'm going to go with that name haha.
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ May 19 2008, 04:43 PM)
    Awesome pictures Becky! Those definately just made me so much happier. My little camera doesn't take that great of pictures.

And I am still so jealous of you tongue.gif

Thank you! And don't be jealous, I'm probably annoying as all get out and that's why he could remember me.

QUOTE (Beasle @ May 19 2008, 05:42 PM)
    smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Loved the write-up as usual, Becky! HE REMEMBERS YOUUUU!! Ahhh you lucky, lucky girl smile.gif

Your camera seriously take THE best pictures ever...99% of the time I use YOUR pictures as my computer wallpaper...haha so thank you very much smile.gif

Thanks Ang! I really missed you at the Indy show!! And OMG, I seriously can't get over that he remembers me. Me, a nobody. He only meets a gazillion people every day, how does he do it? He must know magic or something.

QUOTE (ktlou7492 @ May 19 2008, 07:07 PM)
    And I agree your pictures are AMAZING. The colors turned out really nice.

And I have deff played the "Damian game" before. I never had a name for it before though, so I think I'm going to go with that name haha.

And thank you! I've never heard of the Damian Game before so it was cool to be taught by the man himself, even if he didn't originate it.

And I'm still so high on cloud nine right now, y'all just don't know.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 19 2008, 04:46 PM)
    Then I wave and smile at him. He notices me, something clicks, gives me a smile and waves back. Then he points at me, smiles and says, "Becky, right?" Then the van takes him away. I say, "Yes, you are so awesome" as he's being driven away. I start jumping like a moron then scream my head off. I'm pretty sure he heard me and now thinks I'm huge freak. But I can't. stop. smiling. I didn't get to talk to him, but he remembered me and my name. wub.gif

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
    I know how that feels!!! EEEEE smile.gif

Loved the write up Becky, amazing and WONDERFUL photos AS usual biggrin.gif felt like I was there!
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 19 2008, 01:46 PM)
    And seriously, it seems like the last few shows I've been to, Damian has put something on his head. Oh, check out Andy geeking out every so often.

Ahh Damian's a nerdfighter!

Becky, I always enjoy your writeups. That seriously just made my entire friggin' day.

AHHHHh Andy remembered your name!!!!! That's so amazing! You've reached a new level of fandom. tongue.gif

Fantastic pictures too, but you'll see by my Flickr comments. I'm a fan.

• Aww, you girls having Damian teach you a new game. That's so Teeny Ok Go.
  • BECKY! awesome awesome pics!

I have to ask you about your camera - what model is it? I need a new one and I am so sick of buying cameras that end up taking shyyte pictures. Yours does amazing work! I'd love to know what it is!
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ May 19 2008, 08:51 PM)

Becky, I always enjoy your writeups. That seriously just made my entire friggin' day.

AHHHHh Andy remembered your name!!!!! That's so amazing! You've reached a new level of fandom. tongue.gif

Fantastic pictures too, but you'll see by my Flickr comments. I'm a fan.

Thanks Heidi! I'm still OMGing about Andy. He's such a nice guy.

QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ May 19 2008, 09:27 PM)
    Aww, you girls having Damian teach you a new game. That's so Teeny Ok Go.

You are so right.

QUOTE (bullshituous @ May 19 2008, 10:32 PM)
    BECKY! awesome awesome pics!

I have to ask you about your camera - what model is it? I need a new one and I am so sick of buying cameras that end up taking shyyte pictures. Yours does amazing work! I'd love to know what it is!

Thanks! I use a Kodak Z710 IS. It's a dressed up point and shoot, but it manages to take the best pics I have ever taken. I highly recommend it!
  • i'm incredibly brand loyal... so i've been on the lookout for a canon twin biggrin.gif
    seriously. i can hardly get mine to look like that after spending loads of time on them in photoshop
  • Before this camera I had a really cheap Kodak digital that took ok pictures. I kept with Kodak as I already had most of the crap that comes with it, so I'm in the same boat with you on brand loyalty, if not for slightly different reasons.

So far the only alterations in Photoshop that I make are to take away red-eye and then resize so the files aren't huge-gantic.
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ May 20 2008, 11:04 AM)
    i'm incredibly brand loyal... so i've been on the lookout for a canon twin biggrin.gif
    seriously. i can hardly get mine to look like that after spending loads of time on them in photoshop

Ohh I'll be your canon twin! I have a Canon Powershot A630 which is pretty much the best camera I've ever owned. But I'm not sure how it'll stand up to a concert....at least not until the boys come to Vegas. biggrin.gif

Kodak never ceases to amaze me. Even some of their cheap cameras take pretty good pictures.
  • Oh mannnnnn, Ms. Beckysioux... what an AWESOMEly delicious story!!!

P.S. Those pictures and video are gorgeous... yet again.
  • Some more pics from the show taken by ok riley:

I spy with my little eye a Rebekker. I'm in there, too. And I look really really stoopid.
  • QUOTE (Tapegrl =D @ May 19 2008, 09:51 PM)

AHHH I can't believe I didn't think of that before, haha
    <3

wow, those pictures are awesome. The Damian-tubythingies one is particularly EPIC. the colors are spell-binding
    biggrin.gif
  • Yay! And there's my sister right in the middle! laugh.gif
  • Thx, Becky and Rebbeker for the writeups and photos! You're awesome!
    Rebekker, omg, you're so brave!!!!!!!!!! I would never in a million years be able to ask Damian to play a game- I'd just screech like a fangirl maniac until he ran away scared. And he even taught you a game!!!!
    That is definitely one of the coolest OK Go moments ever.