In this Discussion

The "Just Wanna Say" Thread

Comments

• QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 2 2008, 11:14 AM)
    I can't believe you did this. This is evil. What is WRONG WITH YOU? You're not even in charge! You're a grad student, not a professor! You don't own this lab! How could you do this to me?! Who do you think you are??!! You think you're punishing me? You're evil!! And you know I can't do anything about it- now I'm going to have to ask Eit-n to help me. Hopefully Eit-n will call you what you are, an a**hole and an evil, horrible person.

sorry to pry, but what did they do? TAs are such buttheads sometimes
  • Sigh, not a TA. Just a grad student at the lab I work at (we're not required to work at a lab, but it's strongly pushed. You can either do it for course credit as part of an honors research program or you can get paid, but either way, it beefs up the resume, hehe). Well, almost ever since I started, this one guy in particular has been awful. He's not in the laboratory I'm researching under, but he's in the one I need to use to do stuff for mine. And he's basically always insinuating that I'm retarded and don't belong here, and he keeps telling me I shouldn't be allowed here. And I'm shy, so I just apologize and laugh embarrassedly. Well, now he crossed the line. He LOCKED me completely out of the system. Not even with a warning- just completely locked me out. I mean, out of the blue. And he emailed me that I didn't close one of the machines right- but it wasn't me. It was the guy before me. But even if it was me, what gives him the right to do this? And this is at the worst possible time- I have to pass in stuff in 2 weeks. He even called me on the phone before to tell me basically that I'm a moron and shouldn't be allowed here. Even when I'm working, even when someone is with me, he comes in to tell me this. He actually told me "everyone complains about you," which I know is a lie, because everybody else is focusing on their own research, not whining about me. He thinks he's in charge, but he's not. I mean, the grad student who comes close to being in charge is someone else.
    And even in my own lab, the grad student (Ei-tan...I put the dash in there in case he googles his name and finds this) treats me like I'm entirely ignorant, but at least he doesn't treat me like I shouldn't be there, the way this other guy does. And he does help me a lot. But one time I did mention how mean the other guy was, and Ei-tan was sympathetic and he and another guy in my lab said this guy who's so awful to me is insignificant in the grad student body. And I told my mother and she said he must be a bully, but he's like 25- how can you be a bully at 25???!! And he's supposed to be getting his PhD- why is he bothering me instead of focusing on his own degree?
    Nominally, of course, it's all professors' labs. But the reality is that professors don't do much; it's the grad students who do all the research. So they have no idea, and I'm not about to look like a child and tell them about this; I need to save face in front of them. And Ei-tan is in Chicago right now, using the lab facilities there. I don't know what to do...I didn't respond to his email, and now I'm locked out with stuff due in 2 weeks...
    And there are almost no females in the entire department- and everyone is so intimidating.

sorry- that was entirely too much information.
  • ^Well, I believe in you, Sally! *hugs*

- You don't know how hard it is not to stalk you, ok? Give me a break. It's nothing you haven't done
  • sally. i'm ready to kick the crap out of that asshole... no joke. i'm angry.

in unrelated news.
    yikes. i like you. aaaand, that freaks me out. i shouldn't like you, i realllllyyyyy shouldn't. but you're a good guy. and you're funny, smart, and talented. man. you used to be off limits so it was easy not to really "like" you but just admire from afar... now you aren't. bad bad bad.
  • Sally, I'm so sorry about that wanker (that's english for jerk, incase you didn't know smile.gif). Stand your ground, love!

- I don't care if it's unprofessional - you are one of the most awesome people I have ever met and I adore you. One day, we'll go to a Dawkins lecture together, when I'm not your student anymore and none of that matters, lol. Thank you for being an inspiration.
  • If you back out in May I'm gonna beat your little white boy ass.
  • WHAT THE FARK?! thats horrible sally!

man some people like to walk over shy people in every i guess... i know the feeling... sorry about your predicament.
  • JP- thank you, *hugs back*
    Katie, I really appreciate that. You're so awesome! I'd glandly return the favor- let me know if there's anyone that needs *ahem* handling.

wanker (that's english for jerk

LOL, I am so going to start referring to people as a wanker now.

i know the feeling
    Isn't it awful? I keep trying to think of an Always Sunny lesson that'll help, but they've never faced this problem. HOBO-TISING. I think that's still my favorite Frank moment.

So, well, I sent him an email asking to reinstate my access. He said that since I did not reply to his message, I got my access taken away. Which is maddening, because his message only said, basically, "everyone hates you" (well, it said everyone was complaining about me) and what am I supposed to relpy to that? Nowhere did his message say "reply to this or I will completely lock you out."
    So I just went face-to-face and begged for my access back. I hate the fact that confrontation always seems to make me start crying, and I reeeeally tried here not to be the stupid girl who cries. But my voice was all shaky and my eyes watered and I know I looked really stupid. But oh well, I got my access back.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Apr 3 2008, 09:22 PM)
    LOL, I am so going to start referring to people as a wanker now.

Haha, "tosser" is another one. And wankpot and tosspot are two of my favourite variations.
    Oh yes. I turn swearing into an art.

Well done for getting your access back love!
  • Tosser is seriously my favorite word out of all the ones I learned in England. And Sally that guy in your lab definitely is one. Is there a professor you can bring this to? This is ridiculous, they are taking advantage of your shy nature and while yes you've got to learn to toughen up, it's not this guy's job to do it.
  • stop looking, sounding and playing your guitar like john mayer. it's totally becoming and that's not fair.
    wub.gif
  • FYI, just because someone isn't white, doesn't mean they're going to have an accent. It also doesn't mean that they moved here like 2 months ago and are struggling with American society. Just so you know, my family's been here for 3 generations, and although that's nothing compared to your 12 generations of stereotypers, it certainly isn't even close to being "fresh off the boat," which you seem to think of me anyways.

So don't treat me like a specimen. Don't ask me to "share my culture" with you because, again, just to let you know, I'm American, my culture is the same as yours.

Oh, and you're sorta kinda really unattractive. and I only noticed that haircut because it was ugly.
  • I know you are going through some really REALLY shitty stuff rigth now but DON'T TLASH OUT ON YOUR BEST FRIENDS FOR STUPID THINGS...there are better ways to get out your frustrations. All that does it push peopel away when you need them the most sad.gif
  • i don't know why i wrote that... so i'm editing it out.

also.
    you really want to help me re-string my guitar??
    *sigh*
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Apr 3 2008, 04:41 PM)
    Tosser is seriously my favorite word out of all the ones I learned in England. And Sally that guy in your lab definitely is one. Is there a professor you can bring this to? This is ridiculous, they are taking advantage of your shy nature and while yes you've got to learn to toughen up, it's not this guy's job to do it.

No, like I said, in the real world, professors don't do much- the grad students and postdocs do most of the actual research and the professors take the credit and publish. That isn't new- even the man who discovered the electron actually paid countrywomen to do the actual work. And that isn't just in science either: my history teacher in high school told us how she researched and found every record of a certain kind of WWII airplane, and her professor took all the credit.
    Anyway, my point is, professors aren't really around and they don't play grown-up; I need to save face in front of them and treat them as Corporate Boss, not Teacher. So, the grad students form their own little hierarchies.
    Well I love you so much, but do me a favor baby and don’t reply.
    Cause I can dish it out, but I can't take it.

sums up alot at the moment
  • hey ^^
    its been a while hasnt it
    i really miss you guys and i feel bad for not being on in so many months
    ive just been really busy
    alot has happend in that time and i think its time to make up all that missed time
    im currently home early from school studying for the act lol so ive got some spare time and im gona make more time for u guys <3 <3
    so does anyone care to inform me of what ive missed since september?
  • You've known me for almost a whole year, and you still don't know how to say my last name. Way to go, you tosser.
  • i think...i think i hate you
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Apr 3 2008, 03:41 PM)
    Tosser is seriously my favorite word out of all the ones I learned in England. And Sally that guy in your lab definitely is one. Is there a professor you can bring this to? This is ridiculous, they are taking advantage of your shy nature and while yes you've got to learn to toughen up, it's not this guy's job to do it.

Is tosser a word I could say around my mom? How about wanker?
    Just wanted to know, because I'm really tempted to add them to my vocabulary.