In this Discussion

Luther College

Comments

• QUOTE (toiletdog @ Aug 9 2008, 11:41 PM)
    That sounds good. Anyone want to take up the opportunity of booking? And we need to know who is attending, so we can split the costs. smile.gif This is going to rock. And I still have two seats to spare in my car.

I can't book it. I don't have a card or anything. And right now my mom's kinda against me going, so I can't ask her.

QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Aug 10 2008, 10:13 AM)
    Awesome! I don't mind sleeping on the floor either. Anybody want some snacks for the car ride? Lol. My treat (no pun intended).

A few snacks would be cool if you want to bring some. smile.gif Otherwise, it doesn't matter to me
  • QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Aug 10 2008, 10:13 AM)
    Oh and I have like abunch of burned Ok Go cd's that I was sopposed to hand out somewhere and never did. You think it would be a good idea to bring them and we can hand them out or no.

Interjection here, even though I'm not going to the gig with you guys (have fun, BTW!) -

It depends on the tracklist. If the CDs are burned copies of the songs that used to be up on the Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore approved gmail account or are available for free somewhere on the net, then yeah, go for it. But if they're the album tracks, or for that matter any tracks that are bought somewhere, then handing them out for free is a Really Terrible Idea. Look, I'm all for sharing the OK Go love, and I KNOW that's what you're intending, but this comes close to piracy quite honestly. This is not making mix CDs for your friends. This is passing out free copies of material that a big bad corporation has the copyright on. And these people aren't your friends, you don't know what they'll do with the tracks after they get them. All of that will ultimately take money out of OK Go's pockets and that is not a good idea.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, sorry, but I'm just trying to help you save face (and possibly a lawsuit from the RIAA)!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 10 2008, 10:18 PM)
    All of that will ultimately take money out of OK Go's pockets and that is not a good idea.

Especially considering they don't get a dime from record sales....?

Of course, I wouldn't stand around at an OK Go show and hand out CDs, either. That's not so nice.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Aug 11 2008, 12:38 AM)
    Especially considering they don't get a dime from record sales....?

A dime? Not even one dime? Granted, you would know better than I would, but I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't get ANYTHING from record sales.
  • Ok I was just asking before I did anything bc thats what I thought. But someone else told be Damilen said whatever gets them to be known makes him happy and so I thought I would get a second opinion.
  • Yeah, I just saw that post.

I dunno what to say about that bit with Damian, were I in his position I'd totally agree. But I'm just more concerned about the label. Whenever they're getting interviewed re: AMW or HIGA, Damian says "We were really lucky that they didn't sue us, since they own the copyright on that recording they could have."
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 11 2008, 10:56 AM)
    Whenever they're getting interviewed re: AMW or HIGA, Damian says "We were really lucky that they didn't sue us, since they own the copyright on that recording they could have."

Whoa, that is so lame. I would say just pass them out to your friends, don't pass them out at the concert.
  • QUOTE (MyFavoritePerson @ Aug 11 2008, 11:17 AM)
    Whoa, that is so lame. I would say just pass them out to your friends, don't pass them out at the concert.

Ok Ill just do that then.
  • all this jibber jabber about road tripping makes me really wish I was going... sad.gif
    I miss you, tdog
  • I'm really gonna try and swing this for sure. I might be coming alone tho - my husby is starting pharmacy school and can't get that friday off.
    I want to meet with you guys for sure, even if I'm not staying with you at the hotel!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 11 2008, 10:22 AM)
    A dime? Not even one dime? Granted, you would know better than I would, but I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't get ANYTHING from record sales.

That's what Dan's gf/wife (I'm pretty sure it was her) told me, circa two years ago. I mean, I could be wrong, things could have changed, but I'm betting the amount of money they pull in from record sales is marginal.

QUOTE (DJRose @ Aug 11 2008, 10:56 AM)
    Whenever they're getting interviewed re: AMW or HIGA, Damian says "We were really lucky that they didn't sue us, since they own the copyright on that recording they could have."

They could have, but that would have been an extremely dumbass-y move on the part of the label 1) considering the huge spike in popularity it sparked and 2) come on, if you sue your own acts, they don't have money, and when they don't have money, they can't afford to record or tour and if they can't do that, then you're not getting anything back from them.

I'm sure it's all a bit more complicated than that, of course, and he has a point. But still.

Anyway, if I were going to randomly show up at an OK Go show and hand out records, I'd be more worried about the band finding out and being mad than the label finding out. Unless there's someone from Capitol standing around, watching, who gets your name down, odds are, they're not going to track you down and sue you.

Once again, I don't actually condone this behaviour.

• on a side note, this discussion reminds me of the story about the group "TLC", anyone remember them? I remember hearing years ago that they made practically nothing despite having huge record sales and it seemed kind of shocking at the time.
    this is from "Wiki"

"each member of the group was taking home less than $35,000 a year after paying managers, producers, expenses, and taxes. They sought to renegotiate their contract with LaFace—under their 1991 contract, they only received seven percent of the revenues from their album sales"

• hey, does someone who's going think that they could book the room? I would, but I don't have a way to.
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ Aug 12 2008, 12:38 PM)
    hey, does someone who's going think that they could book the room? I would, but I don't have a way to.

Yeah I don't either. All I have is cash. But don't most hotels let you pay after your stay?
  • QUOTE (AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken @ Aug 12 2008, 05:13 PM)
    Yeah I don't either. All I have is cash. But don't most hotels let you pay after your stay?

I don't know, but when I looked to see if I could book it online anyway, I had to fill in a bunch of credit card information.
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ Aug 12 2008, 02:35 PM)
    I don't know, but when I looked to see if I could book it online anyway, I had to fill in a bunch of credit card information.

you usually use a credit card to make the hotel reservation, but once you get to the hotel, you can pay cash. Or if someone puts it on their credit card, then you guys could all pay back that person in cash. Whenever I'd went to restaurants with friends, one person liked to put the bill on their credit card, and then we just paid our share in cash back to the person who used the credit card.
  • I'm still reeling from my rent, so I'm out (for now, at least). I just found out I may have to work, too. I'll keep everyone posted, though.
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Aug 12 2008, 09:45 PM)
    I'm still reeling from my rent, so I'm out (for now, at least). I just found out I may have to work, too. I'll keep everyone posted, though.

Aww, I hope you can get it off if you do have to work. sad.gif That would be a bummer
  • Aww, that would stink but work does come first. I was talking to my mom and she said since its not like a huge thing like a professional sport going on then if we wanted to we could easily just walk right in and ask for a room without a reservation.
  • I called the college and tix won't go on sale until Sept 9