In this Discussion

This Too Shall Pass Vids

Comments

• what was the awnser?
  • He said that when he was thinking of the song, he was exercising on a treadmill or some other thing in a fitness center and was listening to one song and the music over the loudspeaker was trying to cut in and he thought it sounded pretty cool. (Sorry for the run-on sentence, but that's kinda how he talks.) So, he wanted to have a song that was trying to cut-in and since they can really only use their own music for sampling, they used It's A Disaster.

His answer might have been a bit more eloquent than what I wrote.

I wonder if they'll archive this chat.
  • awesome, i always half thought it was its a disaster, its the whole, "we gotta burn it down" bit that threw me off

...at least thats what i hear..
  • The new vid reminds me of The Beatles Free as a Bird video in that there are so many little nods and winks to the band's history peppered throughout. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? Of course I'm not comparing Ok Go to the Beatles, you guys just know how everything with me comes down to Beatles, Monkees, Stones, or T.Rex. wink.gif
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Mar 1 2010, 08:23 PM)
    So, did anyone's questions get answered?

I asked about It's A Disaster in the background of Needing/Getting and so did someone else. Damian answered the someone else's question.

Great question Becky. I didn't ask anything this time; my mind tends to go blank during the chats. I'll probably think up some great questions tonight while I'm laying in bed trying to go to sleep. Oh well.
  • The stream was all choppy for me, too, then it looked like UStream fixed something; we all hit "reload" and it was smooth then. I'm waiting for the sound to be fixed on the YouTube version before I start sending it around to everyone I know. I still haven't seen the video, not really. I trust it'll all be fixed by tomorrow. I hope. I'm sure this is disappointing for everyone in the OK Go camp, but it's not the end of the world.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Mar 1 2010, 06:24 PM)
    had to sync the song up on my computer to it, to make it work...

sigh, could have been mindblowing...now i have blue okgo balls

I did this and it works. Someone posted the time over on YT: Music starts about 00:00:22:15(ish) into this clip. SOOO if you want, play it when the little head thing hits the Mp3/iPod. Should sync up rather well. I mean, you don't get to hear the really, really awesome glasses or the crashes and what not, but it'll do for now.

QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Mar 1 2010, 07:37 PM)
    awesome, i always half thought it was its a disaster, its the whole, "we gotta burn it down" bit that threw me off

...at least thats what i hear..

It sounds like they're using the last few seconds of the song to me. Kinda like what they have in the AMW vid. I still would love to know what the person is saying in the background along with the other noises that are going on.

I'm also interested to know WHY they decided to get shot in the face with paint. Yeah, Damian answered my second question in the forum, but read it as a statement instead of a question. Why not choose the chest or legs? I mean, we all know crotch is out of the question, but why the face?
  • Well... you can't keep lettin' it getcha down.
    wink.gif
  • QUOTE (Sunnyside1334 @ Feb 26 2010, 05:02 PM)
    My thoughts on viewing this:
    Is that a huge chicken leg?

I was thinking the same thing. Hot. hahaha
  • I just gotta say that I love OK Go for involving and showing the ultimate happiness of people making their videos possible. The crew cheering at the end basically of the videos is just another reason why they're so awesome. It's not just about them. It's about the people who help make them special. Needless to say, this video is INCREDIBLE.
  • First of all, I'm really sorry that you guys haven't really gotten to see the video yet. It's fantastic. I wish you could've all been there with me (and Samanferr) tonight. We had a blast.

Quick write up, because it's almost 2 am and I start work in a few hours.

I hightailed it up there and got to the venue about 30 minutes early. They're a nifty little place, next to the theater where they're doing Hair, called The Tank, all about emerging artists and the sort. I was the first to arrive, and they were still doing a soundcheck inside (I assume now that it was for the video). It was then that I realized I hadn't gotten to an ATM yet, because there was a cash bar and I had no cash. So I left, found an ATM (I wub.gif NYC), and came back about 10 minutes later. There were two girls waiting in the front lobby, and Damian was talking to some lady. Right there in the lobby. Oohhhhkay. So I get a glass of white wine to calm my nerves, and stumble around for a minute trying to find a place where I won't be in the way. It's too small, and cannot be done. So I go out into another part of the lobby where there are couches to wait for Samanferr.

She comes in, we chat, and start to get acquainted, then Damian acknowledges my presence. We chat for a minute, basically like Oh hey how's it going, nice to see you, thanks for coming that sort of thing. I introduce him to Sam. They shake hands. Then he goes back inside where the stage is.

Sam and I chat a few more minutes when I think I see someone I recognize. Oh, yes, it's Steve from Longwave/Hurricane Bells. "Steve?" I say. "Oh, hey Rachel!" he says. That was Surreal. I didn't think he'd know my name. Alright then. So I introduced him to Sam, and we chatted for a few minutes. I was kinda surprised he talked to us as long as he did, I kept waiting for him to say "okay, I'm gonna go talk to other people now" but he never did. We did part ways heading into the theater though.

Mike Rosenthal introduces the event and Damian, and they start playing the video, which you will all hopefully see soon. It looks like my questions didn't get recorded on the UStream, so I'll tell you what I asked and the answers. Firstly I asked if the choice to get a sponsor for the video was at the outset, or was it because of the backlash from the EMI restrictions. Answer: It was made at the outset. Apparently State Farm approached Capitol to see if any of their artists would be interested in working with them, and the guys have more video ideas than they can pay for. So this works well for everyone. As Damian said, the State Farm people were really good about just letting them do whatever they want, and as long as they put the State Farm logo truck in the video (first thing you see, at the beginning), then it's all good. Then later on in the Q&A, Becky texted me asking if they were going to do anymore fan feature videos (like the Don't Ask Me). Damian said it was a great question, and said he was working on that with a person who was actually there in the room. smile.gif

If there were any other questions you wanted answered and want to know if they were asked before the stream was fixed, just let me know. I hear that the chatroom was totally ridiculous. Damian, at one point, read a question, laughed to himself, and said "I'm not going to read that out loud." That got a chuckle from us in the room.

So at the end of the night, Sam and I went up to the front of the room to say hi/bye to Damian. I told him that my husband had been reading up on Rube Goldberg, and discovered that Rube was famous for a cartoon character called "Boob McNutt", and ever since that discovery, Adam's been saying "Boob McNutt" constantly. Damian thought it was funny, but apologized to me for having to hear "Boob McNutt" over and over. I said "Hey, look, I'm the one who married the guy. And besides, it's his doing that I'm your fan in the first place." "Oh, well thank him for me. And thank you for keeping my Mom informed." I blink. "But how..." "Oh she's a bigtime boardie. A silent one. But she also knows not to believe everything she reads on the boards." I laughed. Ahh, so Mrs. Kulash, you are still here. biggrin.gif It's lovely having you.

...I kinda feel bad having a hello to Mrs. Kulash in the same paragraph as a repeated "Boob McNutt", but what else can I do?

Sam got over her tongue-tied-ness to ask Damian for a photo, and then I did likewise. I apologized because we've had a gajillion photos together before, but Damian just joked that I could probably do a time-lapse photo of us. Here it is, for anyone who is not my facebook friend:

Yes, he's doing that crouch/straddle thing so that he can be in the frame with short little me.

It should also be noted that Sam was impressed by the ease with which I spoke to Damian, and I think you all know what an accomplishment that is where I am concerned. No More 4-Year-Old-Rachel here! I can talk to The Kulash much more easily than previously. I am beaming with pride here, folks.

I'll let Sam fill in any blanks she cares to, and she can post her own photo. smile.gif
  • GUYS. GUYS. GUYS. THE VIDEO IS UP!!! Processed and all!

AND IT IS SPEC-FREAKIN'-TACULAR! Or, in the words of Damian, it's RE-DONKEY-KONG!
  • I just yelled 'awesome!" out loud after watching the video.

And I never do that!

Oh there are so many great little bits, like the logo and the smashing the tv, and the lego and oh oh oh!

And then I sit in amazement and think "how long would each set up be?!!" And there *had* to be more than one take because they're already splattered with paint through the whole video!

Congratulations OK Go!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 2 2010, 02:18 AM)
    First of all, I'm really sorry that you guys haven't really gotten to see the video yet. It's fantastic. I wish you could've all been there with me (and Samanferr) tonight. We had a blast.

Quick write up, because it's almost 2 am and I start work in a few hours.

I hightailed it up there and got to the venue about 30 minutes early. They're a nifty little place, next to the theater where they're doing Hair, called The Tank, all about emerging artists and the sort. I was the first to arrive, and they were still doing a soundcheck inside (I assume now that it was for the video). It was then that I realized I hadn't gotten to an ATM yet, because there was a cash bar and I had no cash. So I left, found an ATM (I wub.gif NYC), and came back about 10 minutes later. There were two girls waiting in the front lobby, and Damian was talking to some lady. Right there in the lobby. Oohhhhkay. So I get a glass of white wine to calm my nerves, and stumble around for a minute trying to find a place where I won't be in the way. It's too small, and cannot be done. So I go out into another part of the lobby where there are couches to wait for Samanferr.

She comes in, we chat, and start to get acquainted, then Damian acknowledges my presence. We chat for a minute, basically like Oh hey how's it going, nice to see you, thanks for coming that sort of thing. I introduce him to Sam. They shake hands. Then he goes back inside where the stage is.

Sam and I chat a few more minutes when I think I see someone I recognize. Oh, yes, it's Steve from Longwave/Hurricane Bells. "Steve?" I say. "Oh, hey Rachel!" he says. That was Surreal. I didn't think he'd know my name. Alright then. So I introduced him to Sam, and we chatted for a few minutes. I was kinda surprised he talked to us as long as he did, I kept waiting for him to say "okay, I'm gonna go talk to other people now" but he never did. We did part ways heading into the theater though.

Mike Rosenthal introduces the event and Damian, and they start playing the video, which you will all hopefully see soon. It looks like my questions didn't get recorded on the UStream, so I'll tell you what I asked and the answers. Firstly I asked if the choice to get a sponsor for the video was at the outset, or was it because of the backlash from the EMI restrictions. Answer: It was made at the outset. Apparently State Farm approached Capitol to see if any of their artists would be interested in working with them, and the guys have more video ideas than they can pay for. So this works well for everyone. As Damian said, the State Farm people were really good about just letting them do whatever they want, and as long as they put the State Farm logo truck in the video (first thing you see, at the beginning), then it's all good. Then later on in the Q&A, Becky texted me asking if they were going to do anymore fan feature videos (like the Don't Ask Me). Damian said it was a great question, and said he was working on that with a person who was actually there in the room. smile.gif

If there were any other questions you wanted answered and want to know if they were asked before the stream was fixed, just let me know. I hear that the chatroom was totally ridiculous. Damian, at one point, read a question, laughed to himself, and said "I'm not going to read that out loud." That got a chuckle from us in the room.

So at the end of the night, Sam and I went up to the front of the room to say hi/bye to Damian. I told him that my husband had been reading up on Rube Goldberg, and discovered that Rube was famous for a cartoon character called "Boob McNutt", and ever since that discovery, Adam's been saying "Boob McNutt" constantly. Damian thought it was funny, but apologized to me for having to hear "Boob McNutt" over and over. I said "Hey, look, I'm the one who married the guy. And besides, it's his doing that I'm your fan in the first place." "Oh, well thank him for me. And thank you for keeping my Mom informed." I blink. "But how..." "Oh she's a bigtime boardie. A silent one. But she also knows not to believe everything she reads on the boards." I laughed. Ahh, so Mrs. Kulash, you are still here. biggrin.gif It's lovely having you.

...I kinda feel bad having a hello to Mrs. Kulash in the same paragraph as a repeated "Boob McNutt", but what else can I do?

Sam got over her tongue-tied-ness to ask Damian for a photo, and then I did likewise. I apologized because we've had a gajillion photos together before, but Damian just joked that I could probably do a time-lapse photo of us. Here it is, for anyone who is not my facebook friend:

Yes, he's doing that crouch/straddle thing so that he can be in the frame with short little me.

It should also be noted that Sam was impressed by the ease with which I spoke to Damian, and I think you all know what an accomplishment that is where I am concerned. No More 4-Year-Old-Rachel here! I can talk to The Kulash much more easily than previously. I am beaming with pride here, folks.

I'll let Sam fill in any blanks she cares to, and she can post her own photo. smile.gif

You're so thorough Rach. hahaha. Well what about Tim phone call?! And you two show each other your socks hahaha.

My picture will NOT be posted, unfortunately, due to my gross weird nervous smile-face, but next time I'll try to not smile like a spazz. hahaha.
  • And also, the embeddable youtube TTSP video is finally working.

Spread the word smile.gif
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Mar 2 2010, 12:07 PM)
    And then I sit in amazement and think "how long would each set up be?!!" And there *had* to be more than one take because they're already splattered with paint through the whole video!

From the Q&A afterwards, 45mins to an hour if it gets all the way through, and about 60 takes. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (samanferr @ Mar 2 2010, 07:44 AM)
    You're so thorough Rach. hahaha. Well what about Tim phone call?! And you two show each other your socks hahaha.

My picture will NOT be posted, unfortunately, due to my gross weird nervous smile-face, but next time I'll try to not smile like a spazz. hahaha.

I figure since it happened during the Q&A (after the first 20 minutes or so) that they knew that Tim called in, so I left it out. Oh, and yes, the first time Damian and I chatted, he made a comment about the guys being at home in LA and mused if they would be sending in any questions over the chat such as "What color are your socks?" I pulled up my pant leg a bit and said "Argyle." He said "Purple."

Sam is ridiculous. She looks gorgeous in her photo. You all are going to be astounded at how pretty she is. POST YOUR PICTURE!!!!!!!

Here are some cool reviews:
    http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/music/815...video-ever-made

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/31838/grea...ive-music-video

http://www.nerdist.com/2010/03/ok-go-best-...ideo-ever-made/
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 2 2010, 01:18 AM)
    Then later on in the Q&A, Becky texted me asking if they were going to do anymore fan feature videos (like the Don't Ask Me). Damian said it was a great question, and said he was working on that with a person who was actually there in the room. smile.gif

Again, thank you so much Rachel! I'm so excited about his answer and am anxiously anticipating the details, whenever they're released. (Hee, I had a good great question.)

QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 2 2010, 01:18 AM)

I'm so proud of you.
  • Thank you, Rachel and Samanferr, for taking the time to share your experience! I am so glad that you got to go. The chat was insane. Damian must be able to read like Data because when he would look at the screen the comments started pouring in so fast you couldn't see words at all.

"I kinda feel bad having a hello to Mrs. Kulash in the same paragraph as a repeated "Boob McNutt", but what else can I do?"
    I laughed so hard at this I thought I was having a seizure!

Hi, Mrs. kulash! Your family is beautiful. You should start a thread with parenting advice for all us young mothers.

"No More 4-Year-Old-Rachel here! I can talk to The Kulash much more easily than previously. I am beaming with pride here, folks."
    Good for you! I hope I get there some day.

The new video is amazing. I notice new details every time I watch. The thought that had to go into it is mind blowing. I mean, beyond building the machine, there is lighting and camera angles and timing and probably a bazillion other things that I'm not capable if imagining. It would be a dream to participate in an Ok Go video but the only skills I have to offer are looking pretty, staying positive, and working hard. : )
  • Thank you Rachel for posting the details from last night. YAY! I love being a part of these boards!