In this Discussion

This Too Shall Pass Vids

Comments

• QUOTE (toiletdog @ Mar 3 2010, 09:07 PM)
    Becky, only you would find a picture with that headline.
    Edit: WITH a big red arrow. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

My favorite part is when the spoons tap out the song on the water glasses. That moment is so OK Go, I think.

Also, I love when the speaker spits out the ball bearing at the top of the song. It took me at least five views to catch that. There's so much to see in this thing. The NASA space rover. The pile of busted TVs. The Lego concert at the Lego Hollywood Bowl. That there's an actual mousetrap (probably several, actually). The pretty colored flags. And, especially dear to all of us: PINK BLOWY THINGS! I know I'm not the only one here who got a kick out of seeing those again. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Mar 3 2010, 08:17 PM)
    Rachel, thank you for the marvelous write-up! Yey, I knew I recognized your lovely voice asking a question. And when I heard you say "Becky" and ask her question, that made me even more happy.

I didn't even hear her. Damn my speakers for being of poor quality.

QUOTE (toiletdog @ Mar 3 2010, 08:07 PM)

I actually picked up the paper because Miss Piggy was on the back (Damian's love of the Muppets prompted me). I hadn't even opened it when my co-worker told me there was a write-up of the vid in it. And then to my surprise it's aross that has been screen grabbed. I even told my co-worker, "Yay. He's my favorite one." Me = dork.

Anyway, more on the vid. Did anyone else notice an unused piece of machine behind Dan at 1:44?
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Mar 3 2010, 08:07 PM)

laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Mar 3 2010, 08:17 PM)
    And when I heard you say "Becky" and ask her question, that made me even more happy.

Yeah, I thought that was Rach. I heard her say that she had a text from a friend, and though I couldn't hear Becky's name, I had a feeling it was her.

--

Also... almost 2 million hits! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Will @ Mar 3 2010, 05:49 PM)
    Aw damnit sad.gif

After somebody called them out on YouTube for editing after the waterfall I convinced myself it had to be one take. Guess it wasn't. Still an amazing achievement though!

Not one take? Awww, I wondered about that scene too but still, it's amazing.

Rachel, as always, thanks for the play by play. I always love reading those most.

My favourite part is the glasses. So obvious, but so right..
  • My fav: Damian's slight head nod before the piano crashes.

And the teddy bear the golf club bounces off of in the beginning.

2,326,498 views by this morning. Nice.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Mar 3 2010, 10:46 PM)
    Anyway, more on the vid. Did anyone else notice an unused piece of machine behind Dan at 1:44?

Becky, it looks like an upside-down bike. Should I be recognizing something that I'm missing here?

Everyone, you're very welcome. I'm so glad to have you all to share these experiences with.

So is it just me, or is that scene with the chairs falling backwards on the Yellow wall paper background a reference to the Get Over It video? I'm trying to cull together all the OK Go history references for a project. Obviously there's the TV with the treadmills, the pink blowy things, the ping-pong balls, but I know I'm missing a LOT. Let's list them, shall we?
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 4 2010, 07:38 AM)
    Becky, it looks like an upside-down bike. Should I be recognizing something that I'm missing here?

Yes, that. Though the spokes have some streamers in them and the bike only has one wheel. My mind believes that it might have been a part of the machine but didn't work for whatever reason and was removed. Or it was a part of the machine for one of the 60 takes and was left in the background like the other broken piano and dozen or so broken TVs after it did its job.

Purely speculation, but everything in the vid had some purpose except that bike because I don't recall a bike being used anywhere else in the machine.
  • I can't stop watching the video; it's addicting! There is just so much to take in. I wish there was a way to zoom in on the different parts of the machine to really see the details. I love that that the song begins with the iPod/speaker (great concept) and I'm amazed that those colored flags are set off with mouse traps- WOW! The whole thing is just full of WOW!

But how about the world's reaction? Here are the current YouTube Honors:

#90 - Most Discussed (This Week))
    #4 - Most Discussed (This Week)) - Music
    #40 - Most Discussed (This Month)) - Music
    #11 - Most Viewed (This Week))
    #1 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Music
    #20 - Most Viewed (This Month)) - Music
    #1 - Top Favorited (This Week))
    #1 - Top Favorited (This Week)) - Music
    #13 - Top Favorited (This Month))
    #5 - Top Favorited (This Month)) - Music
    #9 - Top Rated (This Week))
    #1 - Top Rated (This Week)) - Music
    #10 - Top Rated (This Month))
    #1 - Top Rated (This Month)) - Music
    #39 - Top Rated (All Time))
    #1 - Top Rated (All Time)) - Music

And my mom called me to tell me that last night Anderson Cooper closed his show with a clip of the video! Another WOW! I'm so proud of the boys!

• I had a happy moment when an Australian breakfast show here showed the entire clip on one of their segments today. I screamed because I was ecstatic that OK Go were on TV and now they're all super famous and all that hee hee!
  • Here is our chance to ask questions!

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/03/o...o_meet_the.html

I'm sorry I can't link things. Our programs here at the office are ancient. Does anyone know of a code I can use?
  • Ha! I did the same thing.

• QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 2 2010, 02:18 AM)

All right, since nobody else has done it : MAN, you look a whole bunch like Alice in that picture.

I'm just saying.
  • I'm kind of leery of posting this here, but it's not currently available for purchase and I wanna show this vid to people on the fly.

The RGM version is available for free as a podcast. Click here to pick it up.

I'd rather the boys get the 2 or 3 pennies for every purchase on iTunes, but like I said above, it's not currently available for purchase.
  • Double post.

The Marching Band version is available to view on Comcast's On Demand HD.

Also, we're currently at 5,336,688 views of the RGM version on YT.
  • Sorry for the delay in responding.

A full marching band score version of "This Too Shall Pass" is in the works through Hal Leonard, as arranged by Ken Dye with the Notre Dame Marching Band. License was signed in early February; am awaiting word as to a release date. Retail price ought to be $65 USD for full score. Same company is also said to be working on an alternate "Here It Goes Again" score.

But marching band versions do presently exist for "Get Over It," "Do What You Want" and "Here It Goes Again" through Jalen Publishing: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=OK+GO.

For those musicians who aren't in a marching band, piano and guitar sheet music is also in the works. Stay tuned.

QUOTE (RCHSBD @ Feb 11 2010, 11:12 PM)
    So, i am a new fan, lured in by the This Too Shall Pass video. I was aware of the other videos and thought they were cool but that was about it.

When the video hit, I opened FB and many of my friends had posted links with topics like "finally" and "we've hit the big time!" The thing is, I, and most of my FB friends, are HS band directors. Thank you for showing the band in a positive light, not making fun of them or playing up the Band Geek element. (not that there's anything wrong with being a band geek)

My band kids from Rockingham County NC love the video. They see themselves, and they see themselves rocking out.

Thanks

So, how about making the horn parts available? :) Think of the videos that could generate.

• QUOTE (DarrenP @ Mar 8 2010, 03:23 PM)
    For those musicians who aren't in a marching band, piano and guitar sheet music is also in the works. Stay tuned.

Seriously? Brilliant. I will buy that.
  • The RGM version is now available on iTunes for purchase. Click it.
  • We haven't discussed this in awhile, but this came up in the feed today.  Apparently the RGM video won an award at the Los Angeles Film Festival.  Here are some photos from the event:

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?str=13269&nm=Damian+Kulash&c4nvi=3&navtyp=CLB&styp=clbi&evntI=3623