In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• I know it has been FOREVER since i have been here but I made something movie related today that I want y'all to see and or comment on.

PS 10 points if you can tell me where it is from.

• Lightamatch4me! We've missed you!! wub.gif

Wow, what you made is sooo cool! It reminds me of Jim Morrison (sp). Very Doors-esque
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Nov 6 2006, 09:42 PM)
    Lightamatch4me! We've missed you!! wub.gif

Wow, what you made is sooo cool! It reminds me of Jim Morrison (sp). Very Doors-esque

Lol. Thank you and definiatly not the doors.
  • QUOTE (lightamatch4me @ Nov 7 2006, 02:40 PM)
    I know it has been FOREVER since i have been here but I made something movie related today that I want y'all to see and or comment on.

PS 10 points if you can tell me where it is from.

Wow, for some reason that picture reminds me of Noel Fielding, crazy!
  • QUOTE (Penelope @ Nov 7 2006, 02:03 AM)
    I know others have responded, here's my take on it. If you've read the book, then you know what you're getting into. Clearly some people who saw the movie when we were there hadn't, as they got up and left half way through. There are definitely some dark parts, and some of them didn't even come close to the book. But overall, I thought Annette Bening did a great job as the drugged, crazy mother. My favorite line is: "The other night I dreamed I went to Mexico, and when I woke up I had pesos in my pocket." But really, you have to imagine her saying it in drugged, slow voice and the way she pronounces "pesos" is great. Anyway, I think it's worth seeing, but of course, the book is better.
    I'm about to go finish the sequel, Dry, right now. I have loved every page of it.

Hahahaha that line was great. I think my favorite was "BITCH! WHORE OF JESUS! Dressed in black, you do not bleed like a woman should bleed between the legs, but
    with your ruler, your crucifix of hatred, you strike my tender flesh. I bleed for
    you, oh mother... And then I ran out of ink."
  • Yeah!

Thanks for the movie tips, everybody!!

cool.gif
  • I just got back from the Departed, which was good. Way to long, filled with racial slurs for every person imaginable and sort of overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time (probably due to how long it was) but it still managed to be good. For some reason I can see why Scorcese doesn't have an Oscar (sorry).
  • I've been wanting to see The Departed, just cause its supposed to be a very Boston movie. and apparently the accents aren't half bad, which is surprising, haha.

I just saw The Prestige tonight, and its effing crazy. Like, I don't even know where to begin. Everything is sooo mind-bending, and confusing, and in the end everything clicks, and.... I don't even know. such a good movie. plus, there's more than one Hugh Jackman and more than one Christian Bale--- always good.
  • my friend and i didn't see that because she said it was a lot like The Illusionist, which i had already seen. but it's getting such great reviews i think ill see it anyway.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Nov 10 2006, 12:42 AM)
    I've been wanting to see The Departed, just cause its supposed to be a very Boston movie. and apparently the accents aren't half bad, which is surprising, haha.

I just saw The Prestige tonight, and its effing crazy. Like, I don't even know where to begin. Everything is sooo mind-bending, and confusing, and in the end everything clicks, and.... I don't even know. such a good movie. plus, there's more than one Hugh Jackman and more than one Christian Bale--- always good.

um...way to give away crucial plot points haha

I liked it but parts of it were really predictable. But I'll definitely see it again for the Christian Bale hotness...
  • I'm going to see Borat tonight with my roomies and my bf. I'm so excited, it's going to be amazing.

I'm still waiting to hear what my cousin has to say about him (she lived in Kazakhstan for a long while).

So. Good.
  • Borat ruled when he presented the ema's last year here in Lisbon biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Nov 10 2006, 07:14 PM)
    Borat ruled when he presented the ema's last year here in Lisbon biggrin.gif

The only thing that bugs me slightly about Sacha Baron Cohen (sorry if that's spelled horribly wrong. I'm too lazy to google) is that when he does Borat, he reminds me a lot of Andy Kaufman doing Latka. I understand the commitment to one's character and not wanting to "ruin the illusion," but something always seems a bit off when all the interviews conducted were in that character (like Cohen only playing Borat when he is interviewed and never being jsut Sacha Baron Cohen). I mean, it would probably take a way a bit from the movie, but something about it kind of makes me nervous.

Whoa, the more I think about it, the Borat/Latka connection seems a bit close, but maybe I'm just tired and easily convinced (albeit Borat's way more offensive).

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s89gW_AynJg
    [I'm not really a Kaufman fan, but this cracks me up every time and I have no idea why.]
  • He'll probably stop doing it pretty soon. I've seen a few where he was mostly himself.
  • Borat has been getting a lot of bad press lately. Not from the critics or anything, but people are suing "Borat", like this guy from Turkey who claims he is the real "Borat" and these frat boys because they are portrayed badly. Russia may not even show the movie.

But I think Sacha Baren Cohen is hilarious. I've watched his skits/interviews on Da Ali G. Show on HBO a few times, and he's so funny. I was really excited when I heard about the movie. Cohen was great as Jean Girard in Talladegga Nights, too. I love that movie. I can quote a lot of it, and I've only seen it once.

On another note, has anyone seen DiG!?
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Nov 9 2006, 08:42 PM)
    I've been wanting to see The Departed, just cause its supposed to be a very Boston movie. and apparently the accents aren't half bad, which is surprising, haha.

I wanted to see both The Departed and The Prestige. Been so busy I'll have to wait for DVD. Then again, I saw EQUILIBRIUM the other night. Pretty awesome movie with Christian Bale.
  • oh god i just got back from Borat. that was so hilarious and uncomfortable at the same time. wowie wow wow. my favorite part was when he went tot he evangelical church. they brought the lolz.
  • hahahha I watched Borat's movie this Friday!

Oh my it was a great movie. Some parts were disturbing ie... Naked wrestling scene... but for almost all of the movie I was cracking up. Very Hilarious indeed.
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Nov 12 2006, 03:12 AM)
    Oh my it was a great movie. Some parts were disturbing ie... Naked wrestling scene... but for almost all of the movie I was cracking up. Very Hilarious indeed.

Oh my god I know.

during the naked wrestling, we all kind of gestured to the screen at the same time and were like, "SCROTUM?!"
  • Well, on the Southern front, news is that Saw 3 will be re-rated from MA-15 to R-18. Damn it. 'Cause I keep hearing about people fainting and throwing up from the crazy scenes and that just makes me want to see it more!

Borat comes out november 23rd here. And Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D is playing at the moment.

I don't know why I said all of that, but yeah.