In this Discussion

Helpline for Harry fans

edited November -1 in General Discussion
Helpline for Harry fans
February 02, 2007 12:00

A HELPLINE for distressed fans of the popular Harry Potter series is being set up because two characters will be killed off in the final instalment.

"This could be a similar moment to when (pop band) Take That split up - there could be a lot of upset teenagers out there,'' Debbie Williams, a buyer for the book chain Waterstone's, told Britain's The Daily Telegraph today.

"We are looking to set up a helpline for them.''

Waterstone's predicts half a million copies will fly off the shelves when the seventh and final edition of British author JK Rowling's hugely successful Harry Potter series - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - becomes available on July 21.

Rowling has said she is poised to kill off two characters in the final instalment and many fans fear that Harry, in his last year at Hogwarts school, will be one of the victims.

The Harry Potter books have sold 325 million copies worldwide and have been translated into 64 languages, as well as being converted into a successful film franchise starring Daniel Radcliffe.
The books have made Rowling an estimated $US1 billion ($A1.29 billion).

The fifth movie in the series is due for release about one week before the final book is released.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001026,00.html

Comments

• I do like the HP books...but I don't think I would need counselling or guidance if Harry died, I mean, he's not real
  • GEEEEEEEEEEKS!
  • ^^You stfu before I hit you with something. I mean it this time. You're one to talk, anyway. tongue.gif

Two things:
    1) Harry's not going to die. Don't even bother arguing with me, 'cause you're not going to change my mind. (If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but whatevs.)

2) This is kinda' silly. I mean, like, I cried when Sirius died (OOOH SPOILER TAG! Just in case people haven't read it, you know.), but really. I still knew he wasn't real.
  • harry potter is easly one of the geekyest things going

people cosplaying as the characters as the movies, waiting for books

pah i say!

=p
  • Andy, you would be perfect for cosplaying a cetain character... tongue.gif

But yes, I agree with you. poo poo to it all!
  • i want to bet on whos going to die/ what will happen can i say it in hurrr?

I say yay for death in the book... it will be interesting no doubt.
  • Pure irony, this was in my inbox earlier:

"Wal-Mart Wire - New Harry Potter Book 7 - Preorder Today!!"

It's like Wal Mart knows when Kay posts something. eeiry.
  • I kind of like Harry Pooter, but even if I were a total fan, I wouldn't need a helpline to deal with the death of a fictional wizard boy.

Now if one of the OK Go members died (knock on wood)...that's a totally different story.
  • There should be a helpline for the one play Daniel Radcliffe is doing.
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Feb 2 2007, 04:41 PM)
    Pure irony, this was in my inbox earlier:

"Wal-Mart Wire - New Harry Potter Book 7 - Preorder Today!!"

It's like Wal Mart knows when Kay posts something. eeiry.

yo, can i borrow that when you're done?

I usually wait to get it from the library .... I'm usually about 400th on the list hahahah.

I think Harry will die. maybe hes one of those thingers or whatever they're called that keeps some of the bad guys soul or whatever.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 2 2007, 07:01 PM)
    There should be a helpline for the one play Daniel Radcliffe is doing.

When I saw the title for this thread, that's what I thought it was going to be about.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Feb 3 2007, 09:14 PM)
    When I saw the title for this thread, that's what I thought it was going to be about.

That idea creeps me out (the play). I had nightmares about it last night, along with the nearly-translucent treadmill-dancing shrimp.
  • People keep showing me the promo pictures for that and I really never wanted to see that kid naked in the first place. I'm kind of scarred now....
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Feb 4 2007, 11:32 AM)
    People keep showing me the promo pictures for that and I really never wanted to see that kid naked in the first place. I'm kind of scarred now....

I know...there's something so nice about innocence sometimes, and there's just something about profuse muscles that really takes away that innocence. I had an elevated view of that Radcliffe guy, until...I learned. blink.gif
  • That's... increadible.

I really thing that HP lost its attraction to me when it became this hugely popular. I don't just mean popular, that was fun, to talk to people about it and blabla. Now it's like, a revolution. Idunlikethat. Especially as I'm a slow ass reader and so I'll find out at school the day after it comes out who dies, so there's no point in reading it anyway. Oh woe is me.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 5 2007, 08:37 PM)
    I know...there's something so nice about innocence sometimes, and there's just something about profuse muscles that really takes away that innocence. I had an elevated view of that Radcliffe guy, until...I learned. blink.gif

I made the mistake of google imaging "Daniel Radcliffe" and "Equus." Reeeeally bad idea. dry.gif
    Dear god, normal 16 year olds do not look like that!

It debuted in January, supposedly. I'd like to see how many kids who were fans of HP convinced their parents to take them to that thinking there wasn't going to be anything mentally traumatizing involved. I bet they burned their HP books after that. laugh.gif

For a while, he had a cute face for a kid, but dang..I can't look at him anymore without wanting to throw up a little in my mouth.
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Feb 6 2007, 10:40 PM)
    Dear god, normal 16 year olds do not look like that!

That takes a lot of work...and obsession. Really, I don't think anyone needs to look like that.
  • hey, what kind of play you guys are talking about? o_O

i'm a little behind the news..

i really like HP.

and i was kind of depressed for a few days when both sirius and cedric died... but i had some temperature and stuff so i had to stay home. and depression comes only when you are alone. so i think it's normal.

and i don't think that harry will die..

but i will only have the lithuanian version like in september of 2007 so it sucks.
  • aw that sucks! At least they've pushed to get the other language-versions out quickly cause doesn't it sometimes take months for books to come out for you guys? And it's awesome that you're from Lithuania!! Welcome to the boards!

Apparently there has been a huge uproar in Britain because Daniel Radcliff (the actor who plays HP) is starring in a play in London in which he has a nude scene. It's been a big controversy and there are some parents who are saying they plan to boycott his movies because they're upset by the play. It's got nudity and a strange plot, I guess. It's all kind of trivial and stupid, but I guess some people have to have something to complain about.
  • yeah, it does take a long time. but it's worth it. every time when a new HP book is published i try to read it in english, but it's not the same as lithuanian. usually, when they translate a name in any book, they take the pronounciation of that english name and add a lithuanian ending. but in HP all the names, and spells, and the names of classes are nothing like english. but i really like them better. it's like two different books.

i think last year the movie premier of GoF in lithuania was the same date as the world premier and it had lithuanian subtitles. but they were very poor and irresponsably done.

well.. i don't think lithuania's so awesome. i have never seen ok go perform live! and i have been their fan since like 2002. and here in lithuania only like 10 people know them and like 5 people like them! it's terrible..:} in the okgo case.

also lithuania's terrible, because i always hear about things like this ^^^ the last.

and i'm always like "what? who? where? when?" it's embarrasing to not know something about my favorite book;} but thanks for being so patient, world:}