In this Discussion

the thread of amazing british tv

Comments

• I actually didn't know that, thank you. where can I purchase exactly? also by old i'm hoping not too old because i don't want the ones with mark as host (i'm talking about NMTB) but for QI, any season is fine.
  • http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/2...eld-keywords=Qi

you can find season one of Qi here

and for the life of me i cant find NMTBC anywhere atm, although it is 1am

i will have a deeper look after work tomos
  • buzzcocks is back on

and it was amazing tonight

they ripped donny tourette a new one....was amazing
  • I saw the season premiere, which was amazing. i died laughing at the bit with the weird looking guy and simon attempting to make him 'look less peculiar'
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Feb 8 2007, 04:32 AM)
    I saw the season premiere, which was amazing. i died laughing at the bit with the weird looking guy and simon attempting to make him 'look less peculiar'

it was the most i have laughed at a bbc tv show in a long time

bills team was amazing, with the mighty boosh man, and the singer from that indy band
  • this is really random, but the mention of Benny Hill reminded me of this-
    http://throwawayyourtv.com/2006/09/meet-john-oliver.html

it's about stereotypes

best line ever- "all British ppl know a song that makes things go faster"
    and I love how he travels on a tour bus instead of a regular bus
    John Oliver is like the best Daily Show correspondent ever

this is kinda blurry, but youtube pulled all the Daily Show clips off, gah
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 8 2007, 11:13 AM)
    John Oliver is like the best Daily Show correspondent ever

John Oliver is the shizz.
  • oh god i'm watching the donny tourette episode now, he keeps thinking he can get one over on simon but simon's far to clever for him. he gets put in his place every fucking time. what an obnoxious little prick.
  • haha that weird looking guy is there again! i love it.
  • ah bill should have ripped him more, he did a lot but i don't think donny even got half of it, such a little bastard. he's like..i don't even know who his american equivelant would be.

p.s: anyone who wants to watch the episodes from this season or any simon amstell episodes: http://www.youtube.com/user/lizzilupin has all of them. or well, most.
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Feb 9 2007, 03:29 AM)
    ah bill should have ripped him more, he did a lot but i don't think donny even got half of it, such a little bastard. he's like..i don't even know who his american equivelant would be.

p.s: anyone who wants to watch the episodes from this season or any simon amstell episodes: http://www.youtube.com/user/lizzilupin has all of them. or well, most.

donny was on are recent "Celebrity Big brother"

where pretty much everything he said started with angry shouting of various swear words

next week its "prestons" (from the ordinary boys) apprently famous hissy fit after simon starts reading from his GF's book

i love buzzcocks <3
  • buzzcocks was fab tonight again

just simply amazing
  • it'll be uploaded by tomorrow so i'm excited.
  • The news that DWYW is again being released as a single (with a *third* video!) shocked me enough to bring me back to the boards seeking explanation, and then I couldn't pass up this thread. I have been mainlining British television through Youtube for the past month and a half. Started with Torchwood, actually, and then Doctor Who, and through that I've branched off into talk shows and mini series and reality shows and all sorts of things that have completely blown my mind (a crime drama musical *what*?). I am so impressed. Just the idea that a show like Doctor Who could get such a huge audience share and win a freaking BAFTA blows my mind. Couldn't happen in the US.

My question: how do British people manage so much great local tv as well as the American imports? It seems that most popular American shows are well-known over there as well--I've heard CSI, X-Files, and House mentioned on Torchwood, and I saw David Tennant on a quiz show special for the West Wing finale (which kinda killed me, because that's way more promotion than the finale ever got here)--but then there's a whole other universe of television. I feel like I wouldn't know what to do with so much awesomeness.
  • QUOTE (Sadie @ Feb 15 2007, 09:12 PM)
    The news that DWYW is again being released as a single (with a *third* video!) shocked me enough to bring me back to the boards seeking explanation, and then I couldn't pass up this thread. I have been mainlining British television through Youtube for the past month and a half. Started with Torchwood, actually, and then Doctor Who, and through that I've branched off into talk shows and mini series and reality shows and all sorts of things that have completely blown my mind (a crime drama musical *what*?). I am so impressed. Just the idea that a show like Doctor Who could get such a huge audience share and win a freaking BAFTA blows my mind. Couldn't happen in the US.

My question: how do British people manage so much great local tv as well as the American imports? It seems that most popular American shows are well-known over there as well--I've heard CSI, X-Files, and House mentioned on Torchwood, and I saw David Tennant on a quiz show special for the West Wing finale (which kinda killed me, because that's way more promotion than the finale ever got here)--but then there's a whole other universe of television. I feel like I wouldn't know what to do with so much awesomeness.

i actully tend to watch more of the USA import shows like LOST, and all your comedys, seinfeld arrested dev, friends, curb..yada yada yada

the only british tv i watch is the saterday nights on either bbc1 with the dancing/robin hood/dr who or ITV with dancing on ice/poker face

oh and football, and buzzcocks

you need to watch buzzcocks!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 15 2007, 04:15 PM)
    you need to watch buzzcocks!

So I have caught one episode, when John Barrowman was on (I've discovered rather a lot of shows thanks to Barrowman, what with him being a complete media whore). Wanna rec me some more?

There are a number of talk/quiz/comedy shows that I've seen that strike me as being very not American in the same way, in that the relationship between hosts and the guests is very awesomely snarky. Which not only makes the shows highly entertaining, but makes me like the celebrities in Britain a lot more than the ones in the US, whom you only see getting their asses kissed on talk shows.

I dunno, pop culture just seems much cooler over there. Pop and rock music get a lot more attention, for sure.

Funny that you like American comedy so much, as I'm just kinda tired of it. Even Seinfeld, which is legitimately hilarious, doesn't hold my attention as much anymore. Currently I watch 30 Rock and reruns of Scrubs, but not much else.
  • i sadly do not have the means to put recorded things on to the web

but if "you" go onto some sort of "tube"

you should be able to find lots of buzzcocks on there!

i knew i had missed one of my list, scrubs! i have series 1-4 on dvd, and have seen 5-6 on the tv i think? you guys on number 7 atm right?

and i think the english media and all along with it is alot more sarcastic then the american media
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 15 2007, 05:50 PM)
    but if "you" go onto some sort of "tube"

PANDY! you're so funny.

happy.gif