In this Discussion

the thread of amazing british tv

Comments

• QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 15 2007, 06:50 PM)
    you guys on number 7 atm right?
    and i think the english media and all along with it is alot more sarcastic then the american media

Actually I think it's only the sixth season here. And it's still pretty good, but I'm engrossed in the reruns and the new eps aren't as fantastic by comparison (also I don't really have much time to watch primetime tv).

I don't think it's just the media that's more sarcastic and cutting and all that. I sometimes catch the Prime Minister's Question Time on our Congressional channel, and although that's obviously much more serious and all that, there's a similar atmosphere. Sharp, witty remarks are definitely rewarded, and no one really cares if they're mean. You just can't do that over here.

I'll definitely check out some more Buzzcocks, then. Got to listen to something while I'm doing research.
  • haha! buzzcocks was the best this week! Preston's an idiot for thinking he wouldn't be made fun of on NMTB, I'm thinking he's never seen the show then. He needs to fire his manager or who ever books his apperances. I liked the new preston better anyway, he was a good sport.

Fyfe! he was amazing...I love him and his weirdness and the guillemots are super fantastic so I was happy he was on. I didn't know he would be.
  • QUOTE (meliswilis @ Feb 16 2007, 12:00 AM)
    PANDY! you're so funny.
    happy.gif

i am rather amazing arnt i =p

QUOTE (Sadie @ Feb 16 2007, 12:22 AM)
    Actually I think it's only the sixth season here. And it's still pretty good, but I'm engrossed in the reruns and the new eps aren't as fantastic by comparison (also I don't really have much time to watch primetime tv).

I don't think it's just the media that's more sarcastic and cutting and all that. I sometimes catch the Prime Minister's Question Time on our Congressional channel, and although that's obviously much more serious and all that, there's a similar atmosphere. Sharp, witty remarks are definitely rewarded, and no one really cares if they're mean. You just can't do that over here.

I'll definitely check out some more Buzzcocks, then. Got to listen to something while I'm doing research.

zach braff is just amazing, the whole cast is..i think theres only going to be 2-3 more seasons then they are hanging up the stethoscopes, Green Wing..is pretty much the english vershon of scrubs, only its nothing like it

you really should tryand watch it somewhere, as its got 90% of the greatest british comedians around atm!

PM's Questions is always great fun, can you imagen bush trying to give quick witty awnsers?

last time i saw him being quick witted it was making fun of ablind guy for wearing sun glasses...

QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Feb 16 2007, 03:33 AM)
    haha! buzzcocks was the best this week! Preston's an idiot for thinking he wouldn't be made fun of on NMTB, I'm thinking he's never seen the show then. He needs to fire his manager or who ever books his apperances. I liked the new preston better anyway, he was a good sport.

Fyfe! he was amazing...I love him and his weirdness and the guillemots are super fantastic so I was happy he was on. I didn't know he would be.

also what was he wearing! what was that all about, if you are going out with chantell you are going to get alot of coments thrown your way

you ever seen simons interveiw with britney? where he made her leave the interveiw crying...that man has tallent!

that guillemots guy was amazing! i am now compled to go buy there stuff, he was that great!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 16 2007, 07:54 AM)
    Green Wing..is pretty much the english vershon of scrubs, only its nothing like it

PM's Questions is always great fun, can you imagen bush trying to give quick witty awnsers?

I've seen people online talking about Green Wing and being rather obsessed with it, but I never had any idea what it was about. Maybe that'll be next on the YouTube list.

Politicians in the US aren't generally rewarded for being witty...hell, I'm not sure that wit is a virtue in the US, except perhaps for comedians. There's a strong aversion to people who sound too smart, or as the people who don't like it would say, "try to sound smart." Even incredibly smart politicians like Clinton usually play it very folksy.

Dunno what happened to the US...I'll watch movies from the 30s and 40s and they're actually a lot smarter than movies today. Some sort of weird cultural shift.
  • QUOTE (Sadie @ Feb 16 2007, 05:08 PM)
    I've seen people online talking about Green Wing and being rather obsessed with it, but I never had any idea what it was about. Maybe that'll be next on the YouTube list.

Politicians in the US aren't generally rewarded for being witty...hell, I'm not sure that wit is a virtue in the US, except perhaps for comedians. There's a strong aversion to people who sound too smart, or as the people who don't like it would say, "try to sound smart." Even incredibly smart politicians like Clinton usually play it very folksy.

Dunno what happened to the US...I'll watch movies from the 30s and 40s and they're actually a lot smarter than movies today. Some sort of weird cultural shift.

you really should look into greenwing, but watch it in order, or it spoils its self

heh i love that you said its not a "virtue"

not enough people sy this
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 16 2007, 07:54 AM)
    you ever seen simons interveiw with britney? where he made her leave the interveiw crying...that man has tallent!

that guillemots guy was amazing! i am now compled to go buy there stuff, he was that great!

I haven't! i was looking for it but i couldn't find it.

Yeah check them out, they're really good.
  • first off - Head Full OF Crazy - you're a bit brilliant for making this smile.gif

secondly - Green Wing is the greatest show in existance and my basis for wanting to become a doctor. I am i love with Mac, Boyce and Guy at the same time

and finally - www.allfg.org, when you get on that, click tv shows

you can watch loads of tv programs there, so anyone in the US or wherever can see some British tv smile.gif

hope that helps people
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 20 2007, 08:20 PM)
    first off - Head Full OF Crazy - you're a bit brilliant for making this smile.gif

secondly - Green Wing is the greatest show in existance and my basis for wanting to become a doctor. I am i love with Mac, Boyce and Guy at the same time

and finally - www.allfg.org, when you get on that, click tv shows

you can watch loads of tv programs there, so anyone in the US or wherever can see some British tv smile.gif

hope that helps people

huzza, i am rather billient arnt i =p

ive sill yet to see the last ep of greenwing...i kinda might keep it that way

this is a good website people...ussse!
  • I do get some british programs here in Brazil, Coupling was my favorite, the American version sucked so bad that I couldn't believe, actually most of the American shows that are based on British shows suck, except for The Office.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 21 2007, 01:12 PM)
    huzza, i am rather billient arnt i =p
    ive sill yet to see the last ep of greenwing...i kinda might keep it that way

this is a good website people...ussse!

yes, but you spelt brilliant wrong, babe tongue.gif

ahhh you have to watch the last one!!
    if only for statham and boyce. i cried, nonstop.
    statham serenades him smile.gifsmile.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 21 2007, 06:40 PM)
    yes, but you spelt brilliant wrong, babe tongue.gif

ahhh you have to watch the last one!!
    if only for statham and boyce. i cried, nonstop.
    statham serenades him smile.gifsmile.gif

spelling things wrong is a part of my rather amazing'ness =p

i will probally end up buying all the green wing dvds when i have more then 0p in my wallet..
  • Ah, touché, my dear!

I have all the DVDs
    They make me so happy smile.gif
    I just watched the one with Caroline's house warming party.

My 8 year old sister watches them with me biggrin.gif
    I do get some british programs here in Brazil, Coupling was my favorite, the American version sucked so bad that I couldn't believe, actually most of the American shows that are based on British shows suck, except for The Office.

i agree, including the short lived american NMTB.
  • buzzcocks was good fun last night, the fued between him and preston is growing!
  • Ooooo-eeeeerrrr!!
    I saw a bit of that
    It's quite hilarious.

Do you watch Mock the Week?

The drummer of one of OK Go's support acts looked just like Frankie Boyle! I swear it was him!!!
  • you watched it cause i told you to

i have mind powers
  • Did not, bitch tongue.gif

My parents were watching it in the room that i was sitting in while talking to you...
    So ner.
  • http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/195/index.jsp

ROBIN HOOD ARRIVES SOON!

watch it, its amazing, and set in my home town
  • nick holtz grew up! i think i knew that already though, but it was still surprising.
  • I saw the ads for that Robin Hood show on BBC America. My dad thought it looked dumb, but I thought it looked pretty cool.
    and now, you know, I just have to watch it. cause andy said so, and all.

oh, and I love Simon Amstell.
    Just for the record. I don't care if he's gay.
    I have no clue who Preston is/was, but I don't really care either.

...there was an american version of NMTB?
    ...weird. It just seems so.... british. I dunno.