In this Discussion

Don't Ask Me. Have a question about OK Go/Paracadute? Come on in and ask away!

Comments

• Ohhhhh getcha!!
    Lol
    got so confused tongue.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 17 2007, 05:00 PM)
    Haha!
    You're gonna steal him off the rest of us???
    NOOOOOOOOO

I've decided that, seeing as Damian's taken, I'm after J orge instead wink.gif
    Lol joking.
    I just loved his mothball joke.

No, I no longer have a romantic hunger for any of the band members. Just a "friendshipical" hunger. A best friendshipical hunger. And I wouldn't dare to steal any of the band members and keep him all to myself. Of course I'd share, but you'd have to pay me. XD

Mothball joke?
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 17 2007, 11:58 PM)
    No, I no longer have a romantic hunger for any of the band members. Just a "friendshipical" hunger. A best friendshipical hunger. And I wouldn't dare to steal any of the band members and keep him all to myself. Of course I'd share, but you'd have to pay me. XD

Mothball joke?

Friendshipical. Wonderful word. smile.gif

Yeah - it's on one of the podcasts.

"have you ever smelt moth balls?

yeah... kinda hard to get their legs apart " wink.gif

hahahaha
    love it!
  • Yes. I made it up. biggrin.gif Usually works well with the word "filibuster," as in "a friendshipical filibuster." Used as in: "Is anyone here skilled at friendshipical filibusters?"

Took me a while to get, but HAHAHAH.
  • Haha
    That's quite a mouthful.
    I like it tho.
    My new word is OK Go-a-ful.
    As in "that wallpaper is truly ok go-a-ful!! i don't care if security is coming, im ripping a bit off now!!"

smile.gif

i love it. that's when i decided Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore was a genius.
  • I should make up the oddest thread ever: "Words You Invented." Should I? tongue.gif

What a sick genius you are, J0rge.
  • That would be a great thread tongue.gif

We're all sick, really, let's face it
    Haha

And also
    OMG
    How did you stop the filter from adding Mr. and Whom I Adore to his name???
  • It's a zero. tongue.gif

Monsieur J0rge.
  • Haha
    brilliant tongue.gif

Monsieur J0rge, qui j'adore.
    There. french it up, baby
  • Oui, Oui! Je t'adore, Monsieur J0rge. (Hope you don't mind I'm speaking to you as I would a friend.) Tu es tres beau est tres amusant. Je t'adore, je t'adore.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 18 2007, 12:29 AM)
    Oui, Oui! Je t'adore, Monsieur J0rge. (Hope you don't mind I'm speaking to you as I would a friend.) Tu es tres beau est tres amusant. Je t'adore, je t'adore.

ohmy.gif C'est impoli, Courtney!! Vous etes tres beau, monsieur J0rge, et tres drole. Je vous adore beaucoup J'espere que vous comprenez la francais donc vous savez que je parle!

Et je t'adore aussi, Courtney, bien sur smile.gif
  • Hey, hey, Monsieur J0rge is my friend, you know! And besides, you're dealing with a freshman here, which means French I.

Je t'adore aussi, Electra...!
  • Haha...I love how we're talking about this and Damian's alleged job, Electra. Tu es tres chuette...or something like that. You're cool.
  • too...much...French...that...I don't...understand...
  • QUOTE (gokarter641 @ Feb 18 2007, 10:41 PM)
    too...much...French...that...I don't...understand...

You're not the only one, my friend.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 18 2007, 11:42 PM)
    You're not the only one, my friend.

I'm so glad...I was worried for a second. I even thought that I accidentally switched the 'board's language to French or something...
  • QUOTE (gokarter641 @ Feb 19 2007, 06:01 AM)
    I'm so glad...I was worried for a second. I even thought that I accidentally switched the 'board's language to French or something...

Et il y a un probleme avec cela?
  • Thank you so much for reminding me that I still can understand frech but I can no longer write it eheh
    nice vocabulary...
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Feb 19 2007, 07:31 AM)
    Et il y a un probleme avec cela?

Now you're just messing with me.
  • would anybody know where this is from/have the full text? I saved an excerpt cuz I loved it, but I don't know where it's from originally. Thanks!

"We get asked a lot about our involvement in politics, mostly because of a piece I wrote before the 2004 election called “How Your Band Can Fire Bush,” and because people are generally surprised when a band that’s not overtly self-serious is politically outspoken. I grew up in DC, a city where politics infuses everything, and in high school I was hugely into the local punk rock scene, which was as aggressively political as it gets...Nothing is apolitical, and every choice – especially the choice to be silent – is a political one...

So I’ve never been shy about my opinions, and I’ve always felt it something of a duty to stay involved. Of course, OK Go isn’t 90’s punk, and my lyrics aren’t didactically political. Songs have to work emotionally, aesthetically, lyrically, etc, before they can work as message-bearers...

In any case, I am not deluded enough to think that I’m some serious agent of change. I mean, I didn’t expect my little screed to do all that much to sway the election, but we all do what we can, and I truly believe the real enemy is cynicism. It’s really easy for centrists and lefties to feel voiceless and powerless; we don’t like to be told what to do, we are by nature very hard to organize, and it means we are often left to feel disconnected, outnumbered, and hopeless. But without hope, nothing can happen. Hope is the engine of politics. For things to change, there have to be people out there with faith that change is possible, that good sometimes wins, that the system can work. So I try to keep my faith.

Like everyone else, I felt a lot of rage after the 2004 election, and have had to fight hard to not let that petrify into cynicism. Cynicism is easy, and it’s good cover; it lets you spiral into your own life and throw up your hands...

In a funny way, though, the homemade videos have been very political… just in the smaller sphere of the entertainment world. With the titanic major label system going down fast, the against-the-odds success of the little guy – the new-millennium DIY band, as we’ve been called – has drummed up a lot of excitement, and we’re the lightening rod for a lot of enthusiasm about the tectonic shifts in the music industry. There’s no question that things are changing, and fast, and there’s also no question that the big labels are going to have to radically reinvent themselves to survive. And in the current glorious chaos of the internet, while it’s still the Wild West, before big corporations can entirely divvy it up among themselves and start reigning it in, we’re only one of what I’m sure will be lots of fantastic stories of weird, wonderful success. While it lasts, we’re more than happy to revel in the credit for our videos (well, along with my sister), and we’ll gladly except the mantle of internet poster boys du jour. You can’t imagine how thrilled we are to’ve forged such an improbable route to success – it’s been immensely satisfying to watch it all happen – but it all comes back to where we started here: the videos aren’t great because they're a clever marketing scheme, or because they expose the chinks in the armor of the ailing music industry, they’re great because they’re great.

You chase the dream of being in a rock band because you want to make cool shit, and, well, we did."

I would be sooo grateful if anybody knew where this is from.

Thanks,
    Sally