In this Discussion

Hatin' on our boys

Comments

• QUOTE (sherib @ Feb 22 2007, 03:10 PM)
    Billy Joe Armstrong?

Hahaha, can you imagine Billy Joel in eyeliner?
  • QUOTE (Renata N. @ Feb 22 2007, 12:34 PM)
    It just can't be the pants, honestly, they have all this concept of what a EMO band is, unless of course they talking of the begining of EMO, where band like Weezer would fit into it, but what become of EMO is just stupid, and it all changed once Billy Joel ( I guess this is his name) started using too much eyeliner, now if we were talking about Jared Leto's band...

As I said they are too happy, they smile a lot, they don't wear heavy makeup, and their songs are not depressing, so come on...

you mean Billie Joe Armstrong? laugh.gif yeah he wears quite a bit of eyeliner. (im a green day fan also laugh.gif ) not a fan of the bands wearing liner though.
  • ok go are emo??? omfg.. they are the last band i would called emo...
  • QUOTE (tinytot @ Feb 22 2007, 04:19 PM)
    ok go are emo??? omfg.. they are the last band i would called emo...

i was thinking the same thing. laugh.gif
  • The Wiggles would be emo before OK Go would.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Sep 13 2006, 11:29 AM)
    I have to add, I really do hate music labels, like "pop," "rock, "emo," etc. Like, okay, they're good to give you a general idea of what type of music someone plays. Clearly it's helpful to know if a band plays rock and not classical.

But beyond that, how do you classify a band? It's so subjective. Take OK Go. Okay, they're rock, yes, but also pop rock. Or rock pop. (Think about it- the same two words, but reversing them gives a different tone.) Or you could classify them as dancerock, power pop, or even kind of indie (yes, people, indie is now being used describe a certain asthetic of music, get over it and don't give me any crap about "IT'S NOT A REAL GENRE"). Not to mention all the other, non-music adjectives you could use- quirky, fun, smart, energetic, etc. The problem is, the more labels you use trying to describe a band's music, the less likely you are to get your point across. I tried to describe OK Go as "power pop dancerock" to someone one time, and all I got was a blank stare. It doesn't work.

Furthermore, labels just box music in. If something's classified as emo, and you HATE emo music, you're probably not going to listen to it. But what if, outside of the fact that a musician or band is emo (or whatever label, take your pick), they're just damn good musicians? You're not giving that music a chance purely based on what someone else categorises it as. Take Pandy and Kikky being all "Blah blah I've never listened to Death Cab blah blah too whiny blah blah" on the other thread. Now, I love DCfC, and I don't find them whiny at all, and I know Pandy likes mellower stuff sometimes, and DC is definitely plenty mellow. But he's not going to listen to DCfC because they've been labelled as "whiny" or "emo" (and I really find them to be neither, honestly), which was a completely subjective decision by someone else.

That's why I don't like labels. Music should just be music. Instead of saying "It's rock" all the time, how about "they've got catchy riffs and lyrics" or "there's definitely a big Beatles influence here." Stuff like that makes more sense, and it doesn't turn people off to what they could be listening to.
    /rant

I know exactly what you mean. I don't classify music, mainly because I can't. I can to the point of what is country and what is rap, but thats pretty much it. I don't understand how music can be categorized. I have heard of a song that I thought was pop being called hip hop, and a song I thought was rock called pop. I use to try to learn what was what, but I decided it wasn't worth it. People who know more about the categories than me can't even agree on it, so why should I join them and give it a whole nother label?

QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 12 2006, 11:02 AM)
    2. Can I add that *really* hate it when people call things "gay" when they mean stupid or bad? And even though AngryKen's article is great and on our side and all, I am somewhat disgusted with the people who immediately started calling both bands "homosexual" as an insult.

I absolutely hate that. I'm straight, but it offends me. It could offend someone who isn't straight. It could offend anyone, so why do people say it?
    Another thing that btohers me like that is when people call things 'retarded'. That really bothers me. People are that way, for all you know I could have a sister that is retarded. I wouldn't appreciate someone calling math homework retarded if I had a retarded sister, and I don't appreciate it without it.
    When people say things like that, I just wonder how they can be so mean. Don't they realize that it can hurt?
    I don't know maybe its just me.

Sorry to go on about that, and sorry that what I quoted wasnt even from this year :/
  • Bands make complete fools of themselves when they slag off other bands. Okay, so you didn't dig the treadmill video. Fine. But don't whine about it to some interviewer. No one wants to read that.
  • QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Feb 23 2007, 12:00 AM)
    The Wiggles would be emo before OK Go would.

ok go never was a emo band..

they missed out the most important part of being emo " heavily marketing image" over the top "Record Producing" infact they are inbetween punk and (indie) rock because their music influence.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Nov 5 2006, 05:14 AM)
    FINE.

YOU'RE a disaster. tongue.gif How's that feel, huh?
    biggrin.gif

A few days ago my maths teacher (who I hate so so so much) was screaming at our class because we all failed a maths test she gave us (so did her other class, you'd think she'd take the hint) and she kept saying "this test was a disaster! It's a disaster! A total disaster!!!" And that's the only thing that kept me laughing instead of bursting into tears.

Just thought I'd share that with the world...
    you mean Billie Joe Armstrong? yeah he wears quite a bit of eyeliner. (im a green day fan also ) not a fan of the bands wearing liner though.

Yes, that's the guy. And some people should know that EMO as we know now is just what Green Day became
  • I never really saw Greenday as emo...

I thought emo was more along the lines of My Chemical Romance and stuff.

But y'know, there's only about 1000000000 definitions for it.
  • Maybe this here will help us out:

Wikipedia/Emo
  • Wiki-di-whacked!!!

Solves every problem.
  • QUOTE (stripygiraffe @ Feb 23 2007, 11:27 AM)
    I never really saw Greenday as emo...

I thought emo was more along the lines of My Chemical Romance and stuff.

But y'know, there's only about 1000000000 definitions for it.

I never realy thought of them as EMO either, but I guess that's just because I'm a fan..
  • QUOTE (mundum @ Feb 23 2007, 03:11 PM)
    I never realy thought of them as EMO either, but I guess that's just because I'm a fan..

mmm i think green day influence a lot of emo band but they are not emo.
  • QUOTE (tinytot @ Feb 23 2007, 02:51 AM)

they missed out the most important part of being emo " heavily marketing image" over the top "Record Producing" infact they are inbetween punk and (indie) rock because their music influence.

i was thinking the same thing about ok go being inbetween punk and (indie) rock too. they are no where near emo. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (mundum @ Feb 23 2007, 09:11 AM)

Green Day's not emo either. they are punk rock. some people think just because of the eye liner that makes them look emo, so they assume they are. just because they have eye liner, doesnt make them emo. laugh.gif
  • When people ask me what genre OK Go are, I usually either say 'happy rock' type thing, or just that I can't define them. They're rock I suppose, but the whole attitude is completely different to most bands...

*Edit*
    Or, as Claret says, I just say "wonderful", "brilliant", "amazing" or "awesome" smile.gif
  • Whenever people ask me what OK Go is I say "awesome". That is pretty much enough for them to listen. :b
  • QUOTE (tinytot @ Feb 23 2007, 02:51 AM)

I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought OK Go was an emo band. I'm just saying that they are so not EMO that some children's singing group would be emo before they would be emo. Sorry if I myself interpreted your response wrongly.
  • QUOTE (Claret @ Feb 23 2007, 12:57 PM)
    Whenever people ask me what OK Go is I say "awesome". That is pretty much enough for them to listen. :b

Thats what I usually say too, either that or "some type of rock"