In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• QUOTE (God @ Sep 4 2006, 03:12 PM)
    Ohs, sometimes I wish I could experience American college life.
    Australian University life by comparison is fucking boring.

Actually, this is Canadian college life. I'm at McGill College. It's pretty awesome and the kids here are really great. I have some people I've been hanging out with and having a great time with, I've just never fit in with the frat party crowd. I don't want to be forced to change just to be friends with a certain crowd. I was always friends with the eclectic group, the neohippies, the indie kids, the snarks (hahaha. New West Side Story: the Snarks and the Jets), etc. I want to iterate, I don't view myself as higher in any way, shape, or form to the "party" kids here. I'm not an indiefuck (if anything, I'm a wannabe indie kid, which is worse) or an elitist. I just don't fit in with that crowd, as awesome as they are.
  • Most Uni's in Australia don't have on-campus living and such so there aren't really any crowds, so to speak. It's something that you go to every now and then, you do your shit and you leave. It's really nothing special at all.

I've always in a way envied the - I guess North American, I don't know hwo similar Canadian/US tertiary education is but it sounds kinda similar, though apologies if I am incorrect - style just 'cause it seems to be something you can get really involved in. It's just so different from what we do here, that's why I'm interested in it. I doubt I would fit in over there at all, though happy.gif I'd be a total outcast.

But yeah, my Uni doesn't have oncampus living, so you either live at home with your parents until you graduate and get a full time job, or if you're lucky enough to be able to support yourself you move into your own home. The whole "dorm" thing has been something I wish we had here, 'cause God knows it seems easier than the options we have here.

I'm probably not making any sense. Whoops.
  • No! That makes perfect sense! I really can't imagine a non-dorm enviornment (I mean, after this year, I have to find my own apartment, but the rent here is pretty damn cheap). It's nice to be able to walk across the hall and hang out with people without having to make big plans. It does make everything a lot easier, esp. if one has great roommates (I'm really lucky about mine). I know some people hate dorms because they have to share a room. I have a single. I know one of my friends has three other roomates in her room. The way mine is set up is like an apartment. We have a common kitchen, bathroom, and living room and then we each have our own room.

Also, the fact that the guy across the hall is not only nice and has the same sense of humor as me, but loves to cook for us is FATASTIC. I'm so spoiled, esp. since the best I can muster is rather lackluster mac and cheese.

Another Kimya lyric for no real reason. She calms me down. From "Everything's Alright."
    "Why do I always pretend I can spoon a guy and still be his friend?"
  • See, yeah, I won't get to experience the "JOYS" of roommates until I graduate this coming June and move out and get my first full time job. In that case it'll be completely the real world with rent and dealing with real estate and all that jazz, plus I get to pick my roomies (IDK if you guys get too, I've heard it depends on the place).

In a way I think you guys are lucky 'cause you have sort of like, a transition period between childhood and adulthood. We either have to bear living at home 'til we graduate, or juggle the stress of living on your own with Uni committments which imho is too damn difficult. As a dirt poor Uni student I can't afford to move out no matter HOW BADLY i want too. Boo.

I'd love to be in a dorm and get to be all social and shit. My Uni experience has mostly consisted of me travelling for hours on the bus to get to class and hours on the bus to get home (before I got a car). Now that I have a car it consists of struggling every morning to find $3 for parking, then struggling to find a park when I get there. Then you go to class, you do your thing, and you go home. Maybe if you're lucky and you have friends in your class and all your timetables are exactly the same you'll hang out on campus and go grab a coffee or something but generally you spend very little time at Uni.

I have a handful of friends at Uni, as a result. Most of my friends are people I have met through friends or while touring around the country, following my favourite bands from stop to stop... and no that does not make me lame.

PS Don't be knocking mac and cheese tongue.gif <3<3<3

PPS - Oh lookie, my status has changed again, hurrah!
  • Completely ignore this post. People who lie SUCK.
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 3 2006, 11:43 PM)
    Holy shit.
    Steve Irwin is dead.
    Whoa. That's terrible.
    No wonder there was footage of him on two news stations when I was flipping channels. It was on mute; it never occurred to me he could be dead.

QUOTE (tvheartache @ Sep 4 2006, 01:44 AM)
    I FINISHED MY ESSAYS.
    Good for you.
    QUOTE (tvheartache @ Sep 4 2006, 04:25 AM)
    Bah, should I be going to bed? It's almost 2:30 in the morning & I start school sooooon. Bahhhh.
    Don't you have Labor Day off?

QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Sep 4 2006, 04:06 AM)
    Heeelp!!! A monkey muppet is singing "Bohemian Rapsody" at me! OH THE HORROR!!!
    That does sound frightening!

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Sep 4 2006, 09:50 AM)
    I know she would......and nobody else would even think of doing it.....like, does the UFC even know she exists??
    Now now, I'm sure they do ... And I don't know that it's true that nobody else would think of it. ?
  • Goddamnit. I downloaded a nifty program so I could record all these funky streaming videos that are up on the internet right now, and I got it to work so it will record the video but I can't get it to record sound and it's really frustrating me and makes me want to cry 'cause i really want to have these videos and woe THIS IS SO NOT FAIR.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Sep 4 2006, 10:43 AM)
    Don't you have Labor Day off?

Yeah, but I just wanted to get into a normal sleeping cycle a couple days before school started. It doesn't help that last night was the night before the night before school started, & I went to bed at like 3-something. I'm smart. HOLY FUCK I JUST MISSPELLED SMART. Jesus Christ.

What is the big deal about gum? I never found any interest in any sweets that you can't swallow. I don't know. I hate when gums lose all flavor, however.. quite annoying!

PLUS, that Uni conversation between God & tonetoile was pretty interesting.

Sorry, that sounds creepy. I'm just sorta interested in Uni's, is all.
  • Sorry (again unsure.gif) for the double post, but I didn't feel like making a thread or anything stupid like that for this.

I just want to say that you guys are just amazing. Like all of you active posters here, you guys are just freaking amazing. I've never met any fans as truly loving and civil between them. I'm just so glad I stumbled across this board & became active, because you guys are all just awesome. I don't think I've seen an ounce of flaming between you guys (except for thoes stupid f&*ks that come on here just to say mean things), & that is such a nice thing to see, in both "real life" & the internet.

Plus, you guys are just obviously great fans of OK Go. You guys are actually real, true, honorable (okay, that was a bit much?) fans of them, & it's such a nice, refreshing change from "DAMN, THEY'RE HELLA SEXXXXYYYYY." all. the. fucking. time. (Well, I mean, OK Go IS sexy, but.. we love & adore them for music also.)

I just have to say I really love this board. You guys all freaking RULE.
  • I absolutely agree with you, tvheartache (Sorry I don't know your actual name :\). It's amazing just how civil people here are. I absolutely adore it.
  • Hahah, my name is Terry, but it's fine. What's yours? Or does everyone on here just call you God..
  • Ugh. I'm about to have the biggest cry. I downloaded a program so I could record all those videos on MTV and upload them to youtube so we'd always be able to watch them, but there's a problem with my sound on my laptop and it would only record the video (a very good quality video, mind you, but a soundless one at that).

So I switched computers to another one (that i hate) and managed to get it to record with sound, but then mtv decided that didn't want to work for me so I figured, fuck that, i'll download other programs and find one that works on my laptop.

So now I've downloaded 3 more screen recording programs onto my laptop and they all put big-ass fucking ugly "SHAREWARE VERSION" watermarks infront of the screen so you can't see anything clearly, and on top of that mtv.com is being an arse and won't paly anything except that goddamned non-OK Go JC fucking Penny commercial and I feel like if I hear it one more time I'll stab myself in the ears with a rusty fork.

I'm all frustrated and angsty now 'cause if it weren't for the sound problem in this laptop I could have 4 shiny OK Go videos for everyone to keep, but it won't work. sad.gif

I'm still going to try to find a way to do it (maybe on someone elses computer) when i wake up, but currently it's 5.20 in the morning and now I'm not only tired, but I'm cranky and sulky too.

I'm going to go to bed and I'll make a couple more attempts at getting these videos when I get up. Fingers crossed, it'll work sad.gif
  • QUOTE (God @ Sep 4 2006, 05:16 PM)
    Completely ignore this post. People who lie SUCK.

??

QUOTE (tvheartache @ Sep 4 2006, 07:01 PM)
    Sorry (again unsure.gif) for the double post, but I didn't feel like making a thread or anything stupid like that for this.
    I just want to say that you guys are just amazing. Like all of you active posters here, you guys are just freaking amazing. I've never met any fans as truly loving and civil between them. I'm just so glad I stumbled across this board & became active, because you guys are all just awesome. I don't think I've seen an ounce of flaming between you guys (except for thoes stupid f&*ks that come on here just to say mean things), & that is such a nice thing to see, in both "real life" & the internet.

Plus, you guys are just obviously great fans of OK Go. You guys are actually real, true, honorable (okay, that was a bit much?) fans of them, & it's such a nice, refreshing change from "DAMN, THEY'RE HELLA SEXXXXYYYYY." all. the. fucking. time. (Well, I mean, OK Go IS sexy, but.. we love & adore them for music also.)
    I just have to say I really love this board. You guys all freaking RULE.

You're pretty awesome yourself! I know how you feel though, I still feel like a n00b on here, even though my 1 yr is coming up. Everyone is fantastic and some of the best WebPeople I know. Honestly, everyone is unique, witty, and awesome.

edit: the last part sounds like I'm drooling all over myself out of love for you guys, but really, I just wanted to let you know you're all cool in my book.
  • That was really cool, tvheartache smile.gif And tonetoile. It is pretty cool here.

I just got one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my email:

sherib,

God has sent you a new personal message entitled "Re:software link".

God has just sent you a PM ... priceless.
  • So, would anyone like an update on Ratboy? If you'll remember, he was the son of one of my teachers who I attempted to woo just to improve my grade. It didn't help my grade, but now I'm stuck with Ratboy. We IM each other. He's acts like a 10 year old and can only speak of video games. We never actually "dated," just hung out at school. Anyway, guess what he finally, sort of, did after knowing him for 5 years?...He asked me out. Bleh! He needs someone to go to a wedding with him. I'm in AZ, he's in NJ. How does he expect me to go all the way other there? He should pay for my ticket! I don't think I'll go. What do you guys think?
  • Hey, free trip and maybe an open bar? Go for it.
  • Lol, that's the problem. He didn't even offer to pay for it. He just assumes that I'll be in NJ in November, when I'm really in school. He's so cheap!
  • GAHH. WHY IS PEACH GIRL SO GOOD. DAMN YOU, YOUTUBE!
  • Well, go ahead and ask if he'll pay for it, and if he won't, just be content with the fact that he'll look lonely and desperate at the wedding all by himself eating cake.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Sep 4 2006, 04:10 PM)
    Well, go ahead and ask if he'll pay for it, and if he won't, just be content with the fact that he'll look lonely and desperate at the wedding all by himself eating cake.

Lol, your awesome as always, mixtape! That's a great idea! Ah, the idea of Ratboy looking lonely and desperate eating cake by himself. Priceless!

Cause, he's definitely not gonna dance or be nice to me. It's just not in his nature to act anything but like a butthead 10 year old.