In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• QUOTE (katieyellow @ Jan 23 2008, 02:40 PM)
    the snowflakes outside are GINORMOUS! i want to skip class SOOO bad to take pictures... sad.gif but i can't

Ha! I did that. I also skipped class because it was too pretty/nice/cold/rainy/snowy/I just didn't goddamn feel like going. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (toiletdog @ Jan 23 2008, 07:57 PM)
    Ha! I did that. I also skipped class because it was too pretty/nice/cold/rainy/snowy/I just didn't goddamn feel like going. biggrin.gif

Ooo, snow! Sounds so pretty.

BTW, is it Friday yet?
  • 3 more hours and 30 minutes left of this crappy thursday... sad.gif At least where I am.

WHY is technology never working when needed so badly? 30 minutes of trying to connect my laptop with the beamer, that apparently is ill just like me. Great presentation ... sad.gif
  • Facebook is very addictive... but they have some pretty freaky terms and such.

http://albumoftheday.com/facebook/

JFK posted this on the MSTRKRFT boards... its creepy... i guess if you're not already into facebook its best to stay clear. and if you are not to post anything that you want to keep the copyrights and such too
  • ^^ hmm, weird stuff. Thanks, mel. I might start a facebook, but it'll have to wait until tests are over

Snoop Dog is coming to a local high school. This high school has the top high school football team in the state. They will be playing California's top high school. Snoop's son is a football player for the California team. He's going to film the event for an ep of his reality show.
  • Whoah, whoah: Mick from one of my fav shows, Moonlight, is Australian.
    And Beth is British. They hide their accents when they act. Whoah, whoah, I couldn't even tell.
    I think Mick is cuter when he speaks with his natural Australian flair.
  • Gidget, I love that show! I thought I was the only one who knew about that show. CBS doesn't give it any attention. I only started watching recently by accident. Wow, Beth does look British, but I would've never have thought she actually was. She doesn't sound it at all.

Edit: There is a kitty cat sitting outside my front sliding door. Everytime I walk by he meows. When I go anywhere near the sliding door he looks up at me and meows pathetically. I opened the door and quickly threw out some food for him. He doesn't want food. He wants to come in the house. All the homes around here look the same. I think he's confused and thinks this is his house. The meowing is getting to me. I know friends who would let him in. But not me, I'm terrified of animals.
  • Sometimes--and I realize that this is an odd thing to do--I wonder what I'll say about different times in my then-past/now-present. This morning, I was downstairs with my roommates, two incredibly awesome girls that fate happened to room me with last year. And these were the two sentences I thought of for each (they're still under construction and might change in the future):

Roommate #1: She is convinced that she brought back the word "motherfucker."
    Roommate #2: We used to have very sleepy conversations in the morning on the Metro about how we'd rather have a puppy glued to our face (puppy belly-to-face vs. puppy back-to-face?)
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 26 2008, 02:11 PM)
    Gidget, I love that show! I thought I was the only one who knew about that show. CBS doesn't give it any attention. I only started watching recently by accident. Wow, Beth does look British, but I would've never have thought she actually was. She doesn't sound it at all.

Isn't is so good?! It's very well written and the actors are so talented that even tho the premise seems sci-fi "vampire detective?"- it's actually very believable. It's just a real pleasure to watch, said the teacher of the child. All the eps are online if you missed any.
  • i totally just got back from the Chris Brown concert... it was totally awesome.
  • okay, so, best books I've read in a very long time:
    Looking for Alaska, and An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green.
    they're on the lighter side, but they're still very good.

but the seriously honestly most amazing book I've read in a very long time, possibly ever?
    The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.
    I'm completely in awe and speechless over this book.
    honestly.
  • Last night I had a dream about you
    In this dream I'm dancing right beside you
    And it looked like everyone was having fun
    the kind of feeling I've waited so long

Don't stop come a little closer
    As we jam the rythm gets stronger
    There's nothing wrong with just a little little fun
    We were dancing all night long

The time is right to put my arms around you
    You're feeling right
    You wrap your arms around too
    But suddenly I feel the shining sun
    Before I knew it this dream was all gone

Ooh I don't know what to do
    About this dream and you
    I wish this dream comes true

Ooh I don't know what to do
    About this dream and you
    We'll make this dream come true

Why don't you play the game ?
    Why don't you play the game ?

• I can't make up my mind about Daft Punk.... but I think I like them... sometimes...

I think I might eat something right now. Gnocchi. yes. mmh.
  • Taking Radical Political Thought is actually far more interesting than I thought it would be (usually classes with interesting names are ironically very uninteresting).

In capitalist society, consumerism is deemed good (it is good to buy things, it is good to collect "status symbols," etc.). So, the worker is told to spend, does so, and then finds that s/he must continue to work in order to continue spending, thereby remaining trapped in a circle or work and spending.

Thoughts?
  • yes, indeed, we talked about that 'vicious circle' in class a few times actually. The thing that is weird for me is that there are so many people out there who are spending and spending and collecting useless status symbols and don't work, those who take the money they have for granted and feel priviledged (is that a word?) and then you see those who don't have anything and work twice as much as others... it's the society and I couldn't really understand that whole who has how much and why for quite a long time, and I'm really not that pleased with money and all that right now anyway, I'm in the middle of sinking into debts because I want to study...that might seem weird to you, as I know that in America it's usual to pay loads of money for university and things, it's just that in Germany they only started 2 years ago to claim more money (loads more money...) and that means that I didn't really have the chance of saving money, nor did my parents, because it's also not at every university and just working won't do... so right now I have to lend this money from a special society thing and have to pay it back after I finished university, which means I'll start my life (like real life, working life and everything) and already have debts... Now basically it's not wrong to pay for university, not at all, it's just stupid that so many students can't really pay anymore...

Ok, to a rather random fact now: In the last two minutes I have read the word adorable 5 times, and hereby say it's the word of the day! YAY!
  • QUOTE (mayonaise @ Jan 27 2008, 10:43 PM)
    so right now I have to lend this money from a special society thing and have to pay it back after I finished university, which means I'll start my life (like real life, working life and everything) and already have debts... Now basically it's not wrong to pay for university, not at all, it's just stupid that so many students can't really pay anymore...

Yeah. It's pretty much the same here. I mean, I went to Canada because it was relatively more affordable, but I'm still going to graduate a couple ten thousand dollars in debt. Whoo.

I also really want to see:
    about Reverend Billy who goes around "preaching" against consumer culture. Also, it's produced by Morgan Spurlock and, who am I kidding, I love that man.

Edit: haha yesss
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/...susbuy/trailer/
  • A friend of mine actually knows Reverend Billy, because a dear friend of hers was a member of that church. I've heard the movie is great.
  • That is fantastic! I think I'm mildly in love with him. I'm not ashamed. I'm seriously considering going to the Church of Stop Shopping when I come home for spring break.
  • haha, I saw it in the news a while ago, even though it wasn't said that the movie was actually fun it was more like "whoa, look that guy's weird and now he's got a movie, whoa whoa...whoa" Yes, I think that was all that was said, the trailer is really cool!
  • i want to be a dandy