In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• QUOTE (76 @ Feb 4 2008, 04:10 PM)
    If I could only have one food for the rest of my life? That's easy, Pez, cherry-flavored Pez. No question about it.

my heart soars whenever i see a post from you...
  • I really want to learn sign language. I think it's the most beautiful, expressive thing.

How does one go about learning sign language anyway? The only words I know are "private, "cat," "balloon," "boy," "girl," and the sign for I Love You (which is very similar to "airplane" apparently).

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
    I mean look at it! It's so wonderful and does so much more than just speaking could.
  • we have ASL courses here at my school. i hope to take it next fall smile.gif
  • you can take classes to learn sign lang my dear tone
  • Lucky! I've spent the past 10 minutes looking at that website, and I just think it's beautiful. Especially the sign for "change" and "kiss." They both seem to be the perfect representation for the emotion behind the word, more than the word itself. Change is deliberate and rigid. Kiss is delicate and simple. Perfect.
  • miss tone, do you kids in america have the lil sign guy on tv, like in the bottom left corner for some progreams?

or is that native to only the uk
  • My friend must have a crush on Amy Winehouse. He's bombarded my e-mail w/ her vids. blink.gif
  • Ten pages into Heart of Darkness, and I'm already convinced that Joseph Conrad is a literary genius.
    *dies*
    It's sort of discouraging, when I want to be a writer, to read something this amazing.
    And it's not even the story, it's the pure writing. every sentence is like a work of art....
    sigh
  • So I just came back from being really sick, and I read all the hilarious things my Paolo buddies and I have written.

I love them. And everyone else on this board.

Except Electra.

I adore Electra. Who wouldn't love the anti-Paolo?
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Feb 4 2008, 07:41 PM)
    Ten pages into Heart of Darkness, and I'm already convinced that Joseph Conrad is a literary genius.
    *dies*
    It's sort of discouraging, when I want to be a writer, to read something this amazing.
    And it's not even the story, it's the pure writing. every sentence is like a work of art....
    sigh

Aww, what I've done is use a great writer who makes me feel in awe as a source of inspiration. I read the words and think about the way they write and try incorporating it into my style. But yeah, it can get discouraging, esp since you can be your own worst critic
  • Ugh, I totally know the feeling.

I adore Jonathan Safran Foer in a way that can only be described as all-encompassing. I love the way he can tell a story but weave in tiny little vignettes that I remember more than the general plot. Namely:
    [speaking of what happened to the dead body never found in the river]
    "Or perhaps a widow found him and took him in: brought him an easy chair, changed his sweater every morning, shaved his face until the hair stopped growing, took him faithfully to bed with her every night, whispered sweet nothings into what was left of his ear, laughed with him over black coffee, cried with him over yellowing pictures, talked greenly about having kids of her own, began to miss him before she became sick, left everything to him in her will, thought of only him as he died, always knew he was fiction but believed in him anyway" (15)

I love the way a good book makes you feel, so wonderful and hopeful for literature and emotions.
  • I think I may have the flu, but I'm not sure.
    I want Naked Juice.
  • I have very very bad feelings because I don't take uni serious... it's my first semester and I already have this "it'll work with the little knowledge I have" attitude. I really need to start learning now, .... right after my coffee.... it's 11 pm, which gives me plenty of time, the exams tomorrow at 10 am... haha, I think it'll work ^^

... See???

• Help me, artsy boardies!

I have to come up with an idea for a painting that shows a contrast between two real people (public figures) who represent "good" and "evil." I want to stay away from cliches like Hitler vs. Gandhi. Any ideas?
  • one day James McAvoy is gonna kill me with his eyes...

Kay, that sounds really interesting!
    Unfortunately, my brain is kinda mush right now sad.gif
    otherwise I'd try to help.
  • Oh! OH! I just thought of something. What about Jason Flom, the CEO of Capitol Music Group as evil (it helps that he's a creepy-looking motherfucker: on the right http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/partypic...es/DSC_9446.jpg)

vs......get ready for it....

DAMIAN KULASH. As the good hardworking musician!

..is that lame?
  • lame?
    quite possibly

but it doesn't stop it from being AWESOME
    biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I say goforit.
  • i just finished my quasi last exam (there's still economy but I don't really care bout that omne, it's next wekk,so....) and it went ... well, I guess it'll be ok... I hopeit will be ok. i don't know... Oh, and after that I sat with some others outside and drank beer, yeah, 1 pm and we're sitting there somewhere and drinkng beer. which was not that smart after all as I did not really eat anything today and with all the exam-adrenaline and then alcohol... whoal,. I have to leave for some meeting in 2 hours, so I should eat somethin now.

Er, I totally think that idea wih bad and evil and er... mean good and evil and Damian and capital music group guy is fantastic!! could be a great movie too...
  • mayo. never feel bad about drinking beer after an exam. it should be a rule, actually wink.gif
  • tempe... the episode of ANTM is on where they have to walk with the roach broaches on... made me think of you smile.gif