In this Discussion

Don't Ask Me. Have a question about OK Go/Paracadute? Come on in and ask away!

Comments

• QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Oct 29 2006, 11:58 PM)
    Smart thinking, my friend. Also, sneaky, I like that. My mom always does the, "I'm with her" thing, too. BTW, who are you on the JC?

Thank you! My name on the JC is now "dietpepsidrunk". I've written twice: once the review of the Ann Arbor Concert and once with pictures my husband took of the A2 concert. They were really great!
    QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Oct 29 2006, 11:58 PM)
    They probably will have a designated time and place for the meet and greet, like at a table during another act maybe.

So cool! I will have to look into that!
    QUOTE (tonetoile @ Oct 30 2006, 01:39 AM)
    Welcome to the boards!

(personal opinion: It seems silly to restrict any music taste to a certain age. Who is to say if someone is "too young" or "too old" to appreciate music. If you honestly are there for the music and enjoy it, age really doesn't matter. Age differences can bring some new perspectives too, eh?)

I agree! I also think that OK Go appeals to "older" fans because of the bands' own musical influences. We liked the Cars, Cheap Trick, Queen, etc. the first time around!
    QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Oct 30 2006, 07:23 AM)
    Yay! I've seen you lurking about before. I'm glad you're sticking around. biggrin.gif

So much love in the room! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  • Question:

What's with all the retro wallpaper all over everything??
  • QUOTE (Wolf359 @ Oct 30 2006, 08:34 PM)
    Question:

What's with all the retro wallpaper all over everything??

Damian Kulash (front man, main songwriter, guitarist, singer, sometimes producer, often street teamer and general odd job man with OK Go) has just finished cutting up a brand new white double duvet cover from M&S to use as a projector screen for “a bunch of wallpaper patterns: we're obsessed with clashing patterns right now”, and now we're across the road in a quiet little bar with three quarters of an hour before the band are due to open for Brendan Benson at the Edinburgh Liquid Rooms.

http://www.drownedinsound.com/content/view/13367

I guess that kind of answers it. There's another interview where Damian talks about how he felt like jeans and t-shirts felt more like a uniform, and how he and the band slowly evolved into wearing all the patterns and stuff, but I don't remember where that is.
  • Entertain New England: As a band, you seem to be very into style and fashion. Have you always been into it?

Damian: Umm, I don't know. It's hard to say. We certainly had an era where we were all jeans and t-shirt boys. There were actually a series of events. One thing was that I got more and more annoyed with waking up and having to choose between the various jeans and t-shirts that I owned, because it was just such a restrictive dress code. And the whole point of the jeans and the t-shirt, initially, is like the James Dean, "I don't wear a suit, man. I just wear my underwear and I look cool," and eventually it just got to where I had a bunch of pairs of jeans, and they all fit slightly different, and some of them were ripped and some of them weren't. And this ironic t-shirt versus that ironic t-shirt. Eventually it just felt like I hated looking in my closet. And around that same time I remembered seeing a picture of The Beatles, and I wanted to be like the dude in the background. Like all the managers. Like everyone in the 60's had respectable awesome suits. Especially the British people. It wasn't like the flashy crazy dude in the front, which is funny that I say that looking how I look [right now]. So then I decided at some point that I was just going to get a bunch of work suits, and then I would always have a suit, and with a suit you never really overdress 'cause it's rare that someone can actually be offended by you having a suit on. You always have a coat, so if you're cold, you know. It's really nice. And you don't have to make that decision when you get up 'cause you're just like, "Well, I'm gonna pick one of these suits," and you can have a happy suit, and a sad suit, and a loud suit. And at one point we did a show in New York at the time of the republican convention in 2004, and we wanted to dress up like asshole republicans. And we were all wearing suits on stage, and I thought it was going to make it really difficult to play, and in fact it really heightened the sense of showiness, I thought. I thought it would be really fun to be dressed up. So then we went to Sweden to make our record and I just started buying crazy suits anywhere I could find them. And then somehow the wallpaper thing got involved, and now all I want to do is collect clothes with multiple patterns.

Entertain New England: Do you own anymore t-shirts or jeans?

Damian: Yeah. During a party at my house I got really drunk and tried to give all my t-shirts and jeans away to this girl that I didn't know. And she took the few that she liked and left the rest of them. So now I only have the shitty ones. I don't have anything against jeans and t-shirts, it's just fun for me to have something like a uniform.

Entertain New England: That's cool.

Damian: Yeah.
  • Hahaha, I find it so hilarious that I'm just now catching up on this thread, after I already jumped into the topic elsewhere ...

Nope, I'm not a mom of any humans yet, but if my reproductive organs decide to work it will happen sometime in the next couple years.

I love the bit about the Cars, Cheap Trick, and Queen the first time around. biggrin.gif I'm with ya, dietpepsidrunk! I am so glad I had multiple older siblings ... at the age of six I knew everything there was to know about Cheap Trick because of my sister, who is seven years older than me--this was in 1979; same time period I knew all sorts of Queen songs, because of one of my brothers; the Cars were mixed in there, and I soo prefer late '70s Cars to the MTV-era Cars: "It's All I Can Do" and stuff like that I LOVE; at the age of seven I knew everything about the Beatles and John Lennon because of my sister and her obsession after John was killed (not that you mentioned the Beatles; I just wanted to mention them); blahblahblahblahblah .......

It's sooooo cool in a really inexpressible way to now be so into a band that is in the same age group as I am and has the same musical "past." Yay for us "fanpeers." (Thanks again, Kim)

And "superfan"? Wow, I'm honored to be considered one of those crazies. lol
  • I didn't know where to put this so I guess I'll just ask it here. Does anyone have the tiger tee? I'm thinking about buying it but the sizing is confusing me. It says boys and girls....does it really mean that or is it women and men? sorry if it's a dumb question. I just don't wanna buy something too small.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Oct 30 2006, 01:58 AM)
    Smart thinking, my friend. Also, sneaky, I like that. My mom always does the, "I'm with her" thing, too. BTW, who are you on the JC?

Alright everybody, dumb question:

What the hell is this JC you're all talking about?

huh.gif
  • http://jugglingclub.okgo.net/jugglingclub/

It's the street team for OK Go and it's also a board. You can do challenges for points to get:
    Trade in your points and receive great prizes...

CDs, video games and DVDs
    T-shirts, hats and buttons
    Posters and stickers
    Tickets
    Exclusive prizes only available to team members
    Invitations to special events

You should join.
  • AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

I'M JOINING NOW!!!

\o/
  • QUOTE (AttAcKofTheELVES @ Oct 31 2006, 02:23 AM)
    I didn't know where to put this so I guess I'll just ask it here. Does anyone have the tiger tee? I'm thinking about buying it but the sizing is confusing me. It says boys and girls....does it really mean that or is it women and men? sorry if it's a dumb question. I just don't wanna buy something too small.

I do, I own it! I'm wearing it as we speak, actually, haha!

I own a girls size. They're printed on the American Apparel cotton t-shirts, and they tend to run a little bit small. I own a medium, which is my typical size, but I NEVER EVER NEVER put it in the dryer, 'cause if it shrinks, it'll be too small to wear. If you're self-conscious about tight shirts, I suggest going a size up.

Boys size I'm assuming means regular t-shirt cut.

For comparison:

Me wearing my Tiger tee:

Okay, I guess you can't see either of that really well. :\
  • thanks...I winded up buying the boys large..I'm usually small in adult. I hope it fits.
  • QUOTE (AttAcKofTheELVES @ Oct 31 2006, 07:12 PM)
    thanks...I winded up buying the boys large..I'm usually small in adult. I hope it fits.

I fear that you will be dissappointed. I'm a rather large lady, and I bought a boys XXL, and my god, I SWIM in this shirt. It's like a flipping tent! I thought washing it would be fine, but no, it didn't shrink enough like all the other shirts. If you're an adult small, I'd go as far to say you might want a boys medium or small. **shrugs** It may work out.
  • hmm....do you think theres anyway I can change it? I ordered it yesturday.
  • QUOTE (AttAcKofTheELVES @ Nov 1 2006, 05:36 AM)
    hmm....do you think theres anyway I can change it? I ordered it yesturday.

Email Milosh or Pete and be like WAIT I CHANGED MY MIND!!! They'll probably be nice enough to change it for you if you catch them early enough.
  • I changed the size. Thanks for the help.
  • Has everyone noticed that in the song "hello my treacherous friends" in the guitar solo part, there's someone shouting in a creppy way in the back?who is it?
  • I haven't listened to that song since like..March, but I'd guess that it's Damian or Tim doing backing vocals.
  • ok I know this is the place for newbies to ask question... and this question has been answered before, I know, but please does anybody know WHY andy doesn't post in the blog anymore? is it just that he's too busy with the band (which I understand because they're touring non-stop these days) or is there another reason I just don't know?

I also wonder about his nick, Rusty. in the latest youtube videos he only calls himself Andy, not Rusty... and on the SDR site he only calls himself ARoss. so... what's his actual favorite nick then? cool.gif smile.gif (so sorry for the stupid questions!!!)

Morrigan (still trying to keep up with all the news..)
  • He seriously doesn't have the time. At first it was just because nothing was coming to him and he didn't have any ideas, then everything snowballed and I'm sure it's the farthest thing from his mind at this point.

He usually just calls himself Andy. Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore started the whole Rusty thing and he kind of went with it, so I don't think any of them are a big deal to him.