In this Discussion

the "im getting paid and need new albums" thread

12345679»

Comments

• BUMP!!!

Okay so I went to Amoeba Music a couple days ago and spent $110 there and it was awesome!!
    These are the CDs I picked up (many of which were recommended by boardies, so thank you if you did):

-Mark Ronson "Version"
    -Calvin Harris "I Created Disco"
    - Metric "Grow Up and Blow Away" (I got Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? earlier and I liked it so I picked this one up this time)
    - Noisettes "What's the Time Mr.Wolf?"
    - Gogol Bordello "Super Taranta"
    - Peter Bjorn and John "Writer's Block"
    - Albert Hammond Jr. "Yours To Keep"
    - Flight of the Conchords "The Distant Future"

AHHHH I'm so happy!! I can't wait to go back again!
  • How's Version?
  • The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy

Best.
    Album.
    EVER.

BUY IT HERE!!
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Sep 29 2007, 08:22 AM)
    How's Version?

I haven't given it a proper listen, but it's not bad.. not fantastic like OMG GO GET IT NOW!, but its not bad either.. maybe 7/10ish..
    I'll give you a better review in a few days haha.
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Sep 28 2007, 05:43 PM)
    - Gogol Bordello "Super Taranta"

Yesssss.

"Places Like This" Architecture in Helsinki
    "Proof of Youth" The Go! Team
    "Kala" M.I.A
    "Aeroplane Over the Sea" Neutral Milk Hotel
    The Soundtrack to "Pulp Fiction." Amaaazing
    "Mirrored" Battles
    "Bat Out of Hell" Meatloaf
    "We Shall All Be Healed" The Mountain Goats
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Sep 30 2007, 10:14 AM)
    Yesssss.

Hehe yes, I thought you'd be pleased to see that.
    Is it bad that whenever I listen to them I just want to laugh? I mean they're brilliant, but I think they're freakin hilarious.

Okay guys, here's another list of artists that I need advice about - so tell me if any of them are horrible, extraordinary, okayish, etc. I need help prioritizing when to get them:
    -1990s
    -Architecture in Helsinki
    -Ataxia
    -Ben Folds
    -Cake
    -Cavil at Rest
    -The Clash
    -David Bowie
    -Flaming Lips
    -Foo Fighters
    -The Hives
    -Hot Chip
    -Iron & Wine
    -John Frusciante
    -Los Campesinos
    -Maximo Park
    -Modest Mouse
    -My Morning Jacket
    -The National
    -Silversun Pickups
    -Spoon
    -Tally Hall
    -Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
    -They Might Be Giants
    -Wilco
    -Wolfmother

How pathetic is it that I don't have any of their albums? For some I have a couple songs here and there, but no full albums.
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Oct 3 2007, 08:50 PM)
    Hehe yes, I thought you'd be pleased to see that.
    Is it bad that whenever I listen to them I just want to laugh? I mean they're brilliant, but I think they're freakin hilarious.

Okay guys, here's another list of artists that I need advice about - so tell me if any of them are horrible, extraordinary, okayish, etc. I need help prioritizing when to get them:
    -1990s
    -Architecture in Helsinki
    -Ataxia
    -Ben Folds
    -Cake
    -Cavil at Rest
    -The Clash
    -David Bowie
    -Flaming Lips
    -Foo Fighters
    -The Hives
    -Hot Chip
    -Iron & Wine
    -John Frusciante
    -Los Campesinos
    -Maximo Park
    -Modest Mouse
    -My Morning Jacket
    -The National
    -Silversun Pickups
    -Spoon
    -Tally Hall
    -Ted Leo & the Pharmacists
    -They Might Be Giants
    -Wilco
    -Wolfmother

How pathetic is it that I don't have any of their albums? For some I have a couple songs here and there, but no full albums.

Definitely get They Might Be Giants ("Lincoln" is considered most "them," whatever that means, but I honestly love "Mink Car." WhateveR), Los Campesinos! (I'm completely in love with them and put them on whenever I want to dance), Modest Mouse (I recently fell back in love with them. Spectacular), Spoon ("Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga"), Tally Hall, Iron & Wine, The Clash ("London Calling", duh), the Hives, and Architecture in Helsinki (I mean, their video for "Heart it Races" is spectacular. YouTube it).

I've never really gotten the allure of Foo Fighters, I don't know why. I know they're good, they're just not my thaaaang.

Seems like a good list! Finding songs on Myspace/YouTube is always a good way to see how you feel about them before you buy an album.

So, for his birthday, I made "This is Not a Sexually Suggestive CD Part II" (including some of the songs graciously given by ye fellow Boardies that didn't make it onto "This is Not a Sexually Suggestive CD").

So not all of them are as sexually suggestive, but "Modern Art" and Harry and the Potters had to be included for humor value.

So:
    1. Modern Art- Art Brut
    2. Sugar Me- Lynsey de Paul
    3. Paradise by the Dashboard Light- Meatloaf
    4. Heart it Races- Architecture in Helsinki
    5. Australia- the Shins
    6. All the Men in My Life Keep Getting Killed by Candarian Demons- Evil Dead: the Musical official cast recording
    7. Prove My Love- Violent Femmes
    8. Jeepster- T. Rex
    9. My Doorbell- the White Stripes
    10. My Phone's on Vibrate for You- Rufus Wainwright
    11. Come Together/Dear Prudence/Cry Baby Cry- the Beatles (from the Love soundtrack)
    12. 2 Becomes 1- the Spice Girls
    13. The Lovecats- OK Go cover
    14. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy- Queen
    15. Let's Talk About Sex- Salt-N-Pepa
    16. I Feel it All- Feist
    17. On the Radio- Regina Spektor
    18. Knee 5 from Einstein on the Beach- Philip Glass
    19. Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock- Harry and the Potters

This is subject to change. As always, any suggestions are MORE than welcome. You guys have never failed me before.
  • Yay! I knew you'd come to the rescue Amy!
    Thanks for all your input! smile.gif

As for your CD (which is a genius idea), I'll try to think of something. The only thing I immediately think of is something from Robin Thicke. I don't think you're into that kind of music (he's kind of like a more mature version of Justin Timberlake with a bit less pop), but "Teach U a Lesson" and possibly some others from his album "The Evolution of Robin Thicke" could work.
    I'll let you know if I think of any others.
  • ok, here some more:

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
    The View - Hats Off The Buskers (or something like that?)
    We Are Scientists - Crap Attack (not just because of those nice acoustic versions of older songs, but also because of that DVD, that comes with it...)
    We Are Scientists - Basically everything they offer for free on their website, old demos and EPs and stuff...
    Phoenix - Several Albums, but best I guess the last one and their second..? Alphabetical it's called
    Maccabees - Colour It In (BUY THIS ONE!) Fantastic band and you can choose between five (i think) different shades of colour for the booklet

Also, Mando Diao are about to release the new album and I guess that's pretty good.

The new Babyshambles album (Shotters Nation) FANTASTIC!

Maximo Park - Missing Songs ... really cool songs and three demo versions of songs from the other albums

Also do listen to Jack Penate, Kate Nash and the Streets (here a very good album is the third one...)

that's all
  • todays new albums buys

Zutons - You Can Do Anything
    Fratellis - Here We Stand
    Feist - The Reminder
  • andy. buy some black rebel motorcycle club. NOW. go on. what are you waiting for? you still standing there? GO
  • i have a song by them on a cd, i am impressed, how many albums sir joe?
  • they currently have 4, i recomend the self titled one as a starter. and howl. cause its kick ass.
  • i shall look into this sir..