In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• Ah yes, I agree - Juno was quite good.
    Atonement is incredible as well!
  • Finally saw Juno last night!
    Yayness! And, yes. In agreement with all of you.

And I really did like the soundtrack. I thought it fit with the movie perfectly.
  • Did anyone see Cloverfield?

hahahah my parents went to see it when i was working and they said it was shit. Worse than The Blair witch project says my mum. also the theatre was outraged when the movie ended no one wanted to get up at the end, didn't even know it was finished then the credits started rolling. also one guy just yelled "WHAT THE HELL?!"
  • I saw There Will be Blood last night (and Persepolis a few nights before).

Persepolis was great. It was kind of meandering, like the books. It was beautifully animated, though I still think that I like the books a little better. There's something more basic about her animating style in the books that was smoothed out for the movie.

There Will be Blood was completely ridiculous. I really enjoyed it in the sense that it succeeded in actually making me uncomfortable. The quiet moments were excruciating (punctuated by occasional Land Sharkesque music)and Daniel Day Lewis was terrifying and sad all at the same time. I actually really enjoyed it, though I don't think I could sit through it again.
    Though the best part was, that while leaving the theatre, on the street corner, a moviegoer was discussing Daniel Day Lewis' performance with the "Money for Drugs and Alcohol" homeless man. I love this city sometimes, despite the fact that it's fucking cold.
  • so just watched juno on the internets today, because i dont believe in paying for stuff, aka im broke. not really my cup of tea, aside from the opening and closing songs i didnt care for the soundtrack, but thats just a matter of personal taste, i guess it all fit with the movie as they say, i like ellen page though, had a crush on her in the x men movie, which is strange because in the comics ive always prefered rogue to shaddowcat, they totally butchered the character of rogue in those movies, anna paquin? seriously? NO THANKS. anyways.
  • Not to mention COMPLETELY getting rid of Gambit. Who does that?
  • i hearted gambit.....

he was my fave... i was tres saddened by the lack of gambitness.

• Well I hate to say it, but I couldn't stand Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde. She was a lousy excuse for my favorite character. As much as I loved the X-men movies, they really missed the mark on a lot of things.

BRING BACK ALAN CUMMING AS NIGHTCRAWLER!!!!!
  • This is kind of random, but I was having a random thought the other day about who could play certain musicians if they made bio-pics about them.

So far, I have Joe Anderson lined up for Kurt Cobain [and I have no doubt my mind that he could play him cause he looks a lot like him AND he can sing], and maybe Paul Dano for Elliott Smith [if he dyes his hair black like he did in Little Miss Sunshine . . . though I really don't want an Elliott Smith movie being made].

What do you guys think?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Jan 27 2008, 03:16 PM)
    Not to mention COMPLETELY getting rid of Gambit. Who does that?

I KNOW! and im not too happy with the direction hes gone in the comics recently. but that has nothign to do with movies, and im totally in the facebook group protesting that. to very limited results
  • I'm totally going to go see Cloverfield tonight. I managed to rope a group of friends into coming. It's going to be terrible and make me nauseous, but I am SO EXCITED for precisely those reasons.
  • There are almost no movies I come out of saying that I love. In fact, in my whole life, there were only four.
    And now, I can say 5.
    Jumper is fantastic- absolutely fantastic.
    It's about wormholes, and they were accurate- wormholes would theoretically leave a trace, if I remember that lecture correctly. Actually, I only suggested this movie to my friend b/c she's an enormous geek. The movie did not, however, discuss the mathematics of the Casimir Effect.
    But it was extraordinary. It moved extremely quickly and was an incredible thrill. And I cried at one part. The acting, of course, was beyond any praise word I can think of.

And, now I have 2 new crushes. Yes, two. TWO.
    Can anybody tell me if Jamie Bell is big in Britain? This is the first time I've ever seen him and he's a gorgeous man. And his character- the coolness makes you worship him, right then and there in the theatre.
    And Hayden Christensen: so beautiful, you wish you could tell him to just stand there, for hours, while you admired him.

This movie got not-so-stellar ratings by the critics but there are plenty of artistic pieces in history that were too brilliant for the monocled judges.

And Stephen Gould- must now read more books by Stephen Gould.
  • Yeah, I think Jamie Bell is a pretty big name.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 15 2008, 09:50 PM)
    Yeah, I think Jamie Bell is a pretty big name.

ooo! yay! Thank you!!
    Then I must now search for more Jamie Bell movies!
  • BILLY ELLIOT! That's who he is, it was driving me insane! Billy Elliot!
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 15 2008, 11:08 PM)
    BILLY ELLIOT! That's who he is, it was driving me insane! Billy Elliot!

I am ashamed that I have never heard of that movie...am anxiously googling....
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Feb 16 2008, 04:08 AM)
    BILLY ELLIOT! That's who he is, it was driving me insane! Billy Elliot!

CLASSIC! Holy shit, I cried when his Dad smashed the piano. I am easily moved.

Tonight my friends and decided we were too lazy and it was too fucking cold to go out. So: movie night! It was going to be Kids Underdog Baseball themed (Angels in the Outfield, The Sandlot, etc.), but we realized Sydney White was out on DVD, and who can say no to Amanda Bynes? So Amanda Bynes it was.

The movie was everything we wanted it to be. Plus! Sam Levine and the guy who played Doyle on Gilmore Girls. Ugh. Why do I love geeks? I would like to be best friends with them all.

Oh, but in seriousness, I have talked about There Will Be Blood? Everyone's hailing it as the next Citizen Kane and I can kind of see why; the whole movie was fantastic and terrifying and amazingly uncomfortable. It was the sort of movie where during the entire thing, my entire insides were in knots, becoming tighter as the movie progressed as everything kept becoming more and more terrible. I don't think I could ever sit through watching it again. However, looking back on it, I think it was an absolutely incredible movie (I had the same feeling about "Science of Sleep" actually. It happens to me a lot).

ALSO!
    Is anyone else completely excited for Be Kind Rewind? I mean, the movie looks good already, but Michel Gondry redid his own trailer in the same DIY feel of the movies redone in... the movie.
    Yeah,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFN27E34BKg

GO GO GO GO.
  • We saw No Country For Old Men on Thursday and I got so scared I had to go outside and wait in the lobby. Seeing as the TRAILER for There Will Be Blood scared me, I'm thinking that I'll have to miss it. sad.gif
  • Holy crap, No Country for Old Men was so fantastically good. It's created an iconic killer while managing to remain absolutely beautifully filmed. Plus, I love Tommy Lee Jones.

But if No Country for Old Men wasn't your thing, it's probably best to skip There Will be Blood. It's not so much scary as deeply disturbing.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Feb 16 2008, 12:01 PM)
    Holy crap, No Country for Old Men was so fantastically good. It's created an iconic killer while managing to remain absolutely beautifully filmed. Plus, I love Tommy Lee Jones.

But if No Country for Old Men wasn't your thing, it's probably best to skip There Will be Blood. It's not so much scary as deeply disturbing.

I'm not taking anything from that movie - I think the problem was that it was just TOO good, and scared the crap out of me. I'm a wuss. wink.gif