In this Discussion

You know you're obsessed when...

Comments

• YKYOW...
    ...you spend five whole dollars on a magazine just to get ONE picture of Damian, when there are literally thousands of photos available online.
    ...you go to Chicago by yourself to see two shows.
    ...you tell people that what you want for Christmas is for them to buy OK Go CDs for themselves.
    ...you keep track of how many purchases of OK Go CDs you have personally and directly caused among your friends and relations.

I'm a new boardie, and I'm so glad to be here!! Thanks for having me. After Cincinnati and Chicago, I NEED to connect with other OK Go fans. I'm sure you know the feeling.
  • Thanks, dietpepsi!
  • YKYOW:
    -Your relationship with your best friend became better after both reaching the same level of obsession
    -You buy a tie for $67 just because it says "OK Go" and "Blessed by Dan, Tim, Damian and Andy"
    -You check ebay everyday to see if anything you don't already have has been posted yet
    -You stand outside in a dark parking lot in downtown San Diego for nearly 7 hours, in the rain, in hopes of meeting the guys. (And being extremely successful, by the way. Met all but Andy sad.gif )
    -Your best friend and you make a myspace site dedicated to loving OK Go and forget all about your other one
    -You family starts to get worried about all the money/time/energy you are putting into the band
    -For four weeks in a row your top listened to band on last.fm was OK Go and not the Beatles, which has only happened once before.
    -You go to four different stores looking for the DVD
    -You take down a Beatles poster to make room for OK Go posters
    -The people you hang around with get annoyed with how much you talk about OK Go
    -You say, "ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok GO!" and know what it means

I have more, but class starts in two minutes!

OH! You ditch class because you find it much more interesting to read stuff about OK Go and google pictures than it is to learn about Psychology.
  • QUOTE (Redstar7 @ Nov 28 2006, 06:20 PM)
    OH! You ditch class because you find it much more interesting to read stuff about OK Go and google pictures than it is to learn about Psychology.

Don't ditch class! Unless it's really bad, in which case you should ditch your school and get a new one. cool.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Nov 28 2006, 04:40 PM)
    Don't ditch class! Unless it's really bad, in which case you should ditch your school and get a new one. cool.gif

It's actually just that class, the teacher is incredibly boring, I can barely manage to keep my eyes open for more than ten minutes. Other than that, no class has been ditched in the honor of OK Go and learning more about them.
  • I'm bad. I skipped an entire day for OK Go once. Stay in school kids!
  • Oh! I have skipped more than just that class. I skipped two days for their concert, I figure I didn't miss any days before then, so why would it hurt?

Turns out one of the days I skipped was the day an essay was due and the day I was supposed to present. I was able to make it up, but it was late.
  • Oh, I would totally ditch (or in my case, take vacation) for a concert. That's a given!
  • when you JUST realized, after four years taking karate and over a year's time obsession w/ Ok GO, that the japanese for five is "go"... actually, I heard my sensei say "Go", jumped, then realized he was counting for us...not talking about Ok Go.

and... when you sneakily suggest to your parents a trip to northhampton to visit the colleges out there, when you're in reality planning in advance for the next time Ok Go plays Noho. (if there is a next time... darn them, getting so popular.) (if Ok Go doesn't play Noho, then Tally Hall might... they did recently... so I'll be good anywho.)
  • .... when every acronym with W in it get automatically converted to meaning A Million ways in your mind.

DWA - Designated Waiting area- ... but really A million ways.
  • ha! i know what you mean

My friend was telling me about all these funny AMV's** he found on Youtube and seeing that particular acronym with "Youtube" confused me for a good 10 minutes or so. Our conversation was like,

me: "yeah, i showed those to you AGES ago"
    him: "ummm...it says here that it was uploaded 12 hours ago"
    me: "...errr........"
    him: "...unless you're considering time relative to the lifespan of a fruitfly, and then yes, you could potentially have shown these to me ages ago....but you didnt."

(Ten minutes later)
    me: wait....what does amV mean?!?!?

** AMV = anime music video, apparently
  • haha, yeah... the AMV/AMW thing always confuses me.

there's a kid in my karate class who reminds me of Rusty... he's pretty cool, but he's a lot younger (seventh or eighth grade... so maybe not a lot a lot.. but enough)
  • YNYOW:

...You start to hyperventilate when you hear HIGA being played on "SCRUBS"
    ...You then run to the computer to see if anyone else has posted about this on the forum.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Sep 1 2006, 05:20 PM)
    YKYOW...

you correct random people on spelling Damian's name.

I do that all the time, it annoys random strangers, but most people who know me at all expect it.

QUOTE (tvheartache @ Sep 1 2006, 05:46 PM)
    YKYOW..

.. you're at marching band camp learning marching basics while playing your instruments, & the instructors tell the woodwinds to remember to breathe, & you AUTOMATICALLY think &/or say out loud "not breathing can cause you to die."
    & then you giggle &/or smile dreamily for at least 10 minutes.

I'm not in band, but I had a panic attack a while back (ritalin and a close friend's mom's funeral is a VERY bad mix for me) and my friend who was in the car with me was like "just breathe" and I thought of the pingpong video which calmed me down for about two seconds, but then I started giggling a little bit, and since I was already gasping for breath that didn't really work out at all, so I went back to panicing. yeah. good story.

YKYOW... you go to a concert that's not OK Go and still end up making OK Go references

YKYOW... You have no problem with your friends burning your DVDs/CDs, but when they want to burn an OK Go CD/DVD you insist that they have to purchase something of equal or greater value from the OK Go store first.
  • QUOTE (hyannah77 @ Dec 1 2006, 07:16 PM)
    YKYOW... you go to a concert that's not OK Go and still end up making OK Go references

Haha, I do that. I went to see The Fray and my other OK Go loving friend and I stood there most of the 2.5 hours quoting and laughing about different things in the OK Go DVD. It was tons of fun. But then some friends of ours showed up who don't listen to OK Go at all and are sick of us talking about them constantly, so that kinda put a damper on it. But it was fun while it lasted
  • QUOTE (vinyl_days @ Aug 6 2006, 08:19 PM)
    *when you know the story of the girl w/ bling teeth.

Hahaha laugh.gif Yyyeeesssss.

QUOTE (sherib @ Aug 7 2006, 08:39 PM)
    YKYOW ...

* the universe seems to be aligning with your obsession. This morning driving to work, I'm singing (badly) along with "What to Do," and right when "Mediocre people do exceptional things all the time" comes on, I shit you not, a van pulls up to the intersection I'm about to cross, with "Exceptional Plumbing" in big letters on the side. My eyes fell on "Exceptional" right as I was singing "exceptional."

!!

(I also think the phrase "exceptional plumbing" is pretty funny. lol)

* you write yourself a note at the next stoplight to mention 'universe aligning' moment on the board in the YKYOW thread that night ..... laugh.gif

I love those moments!! So fantastic. And I toooottally do the exact same thing with writing little reminder notes to yourself for doofy things happy.gif

YKYOW
    - you get through writing maybe one full paragraph in a long-long-super long essay and feel compelled to reward yourself with watching an OK Go vid or going to the boards or doing something OK Go-related.
    - in the midst of a conversation, you unconsciously start talking like Damian. (you all know how he speaks - the mannerisms, etc.)
  • --When you've converted your entire suite into Ok Go fans (for example, my suitemate Rachael got the setlist at the show and got all the guys to sign it so she can frame it and put it up in her room)
    --When your friends wonder why you didn't buy anything at the show and it's because you already had it all (except the sweater but you didn't have enough money for that)
    --When you get pulled onstage by the band, you can tell your mom the entire story (using band members' first names) and she knows how amazing it is because she knows how obsessed you are with the band.
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Dec 2 2006, 01:52 AM)
    --When you get pulled onstage by the band, you can tell your mom the entire story (using band members' first names) and she knows how amazing it is because she knows how obsessed you are with the band.

Haha laugh.gif Awww man. That's so awesome ^^

YKYOW
    - you console - okay, moreso simply remind - your very recently broken-up-with sister: "I mean, he ain't no Damian Kulash..." Please disregard/ forgive the double-negative. (and no worries; she's just peachy. it was more of a fling. and it actually ended well...)
  • YKYOW:

When your mom comes home from her month long trip and the first things she asks you are how the OK Go show was and when are they coming back.