In this Discussion

The Newsletter

Comments

• QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Oct 29 2008, 12:03 PM)

"I'm not sore. I didn't work very hard yesterday." If I was drinking something, it would have shot out my nose. Then the smiles on Tim and Dan's faces. Awesome.

QUOTE (Surfer Rosa @ Oct 29 2008, 05:25 PM)
    I'd like a large shake with chocolate rainbow sprinkles please.

Rosa, I'd totally get you one. But by the time it got to you it'd be a cup of tepid chocolate milk with discolored floaty things in it.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Oct 15 2008, 03:18 PM)
    This is exactly what everyone was saying when HIGA came out. And then when they performed on the VMAs. And then when they won a Grammy. Don't sweat it.

Yeah, I mean. Unless they have a single that gets in the top 10 on the mainstream top 40 charts, I mean. That's not going to happen.

And even then, it's not a guarantee.
  • how would one go about signing up for said newsletter?

hensocks (a.k.a. my okgo partner in crime) usually forwards them to me,
    but i'm not actually signed up myself

i've been meaning to figure this out for a while
  • On okgo.net, under EMAIL, enter your address into the yellow bar.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 19 2008, 10:03 PM)
    On okgo.net, under EMAIL, enter your address into the yellow bar.

I did that and I still don't get the newsletters.
  • I know that it hasn't worked for anyone who's signed up for it in the last little while, but that's the only way to do it.
  • Hey, There

Are you sitting down? Are you in a see-how-long-I-can-stand competition? Because if you're not, then you should sit. Relax. Breathe deep. Because an OK Go newsletter just came into your life, and it wants you to be happy. And how could you not be, with news like this? Read on:

* We've Got a New(ish) Website:
    * The OK Go Exploratory Committee Playlist
    * Two New Videos From The Boys

We've Got a New(ish) Website:

The last time we updated the OK Go website, George Bush was president. I know what you're thinking: he's still president. Well, we've got a prettier website, anyway, and that's a start. This is just a preliminary gussying up while we work on a whole brand new site, one with all the crazy cyber doodads you've come to expect from your favorite thing in the whole world, the Internet. Check it out, and tell us what you think of the new look: http://www.okgo.net

Speaking of US presidents, OK Go octuple-handedly elected the next one, Barack Obama. Each band member voted exactly thirteen million times, which helped out quite a bit. But what really put Mr. Obama over the edge was this video, hailed by many as the greatest campaign video in recent history, with the exception of the Ford/Rockefeller halloween wrestling match of 1976, the original "October Surprise." Here's OK Go meeting then-candidate Obama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DO0MntLnM

The OK Go Exploratory Committee Playlist

When the boys first went into the studio, they made a playlist to give them inspiration, direction, and guidance in their spiritual journey from songs-in-head to album-in-stores. Each gentleman picked three or four songs, then they put them together, got drunk, and sprawled out on the studio floor at 3am to listen straight through the list. They did not hold hands. But they did come up with a pretty decent selection of tunes. Don't think of it as what they want the album to sound like, but rather what they want it to feel like. If this were a playlist of silly food analogies, it would include groove steaks simmering in your brainpan and hot jams on your mindtoast. But it's a playlist of songs instead, and yes, both Neutral Milk Hotel and Ol' Dirty Bastard made the cut. Sounds like a good combination to me.

Listen to the whole thing here: http://icanhaz.com/okgoplaylist

Two New Videos From The Boys

The boys haven't just been playing around with guitars. They've also been messing about with video cameras. Making stuff is fun.

Dan is amazed.
    http://emi.emreact.com/go.asp?/bEMI002/mNQ...uTRGEII2/xN1HEL

Damian is amazed.
    http://emi.emreact.com/go.asp?/bEMI002/mNQ...uTRGEII2/xN1HEL

And You, my friend, are amazing. No really, you are.

Hugs,

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

• I like how the website changed, but the Boards are still the same colour. laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Nov 20 2008, 05:08 PM)
    I like how the website changed, but the Boards are still the same colour. laugh.gif

*sniff* I miss the old one. A linen or denim sort of pattern instead of paiselys. Well, actually, I just miss the old pics that used to be up. I hope there will be an exciting new internet game to go with the exciting new album.
  • ILU, playlist.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 20 2008, 07:28 PM)
    ILU, playlist.

Playlist = amazing. Anybody want to cull the mp3s together for us? lol.
  • I wonder who added what to the playlist.
  • laugh.gif I laughed so hard seeing Drop It Like It's Hot
  • I think it was Damian for sure who threw in Frank Black. Excuse me. The Almighty Frank Black.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Nov 20 2008, 07:17 PM)
    *sniff* I miss the old one. A linen or denim sort of pattern instead of paiselys. Well, actually, I just miss the old pics that used to be up. I hope there will be an exciting new internet game to go with the exciting new album.

Agreed.
  • The Playlist is SUPERB. Of course I'm all smiles over Run DMC, but SPACEHOG???? OMG SPACEHOG. Whichever one of you added Spacehog to that list I love you (if they're reading this), although as much as I love "In The Meantime" I prefer "Cruel to be Kind" because it is one of the most Solid Pop Songs Ever. I want to write a song half as good and solid as "Cruel to be Kind". Also, "Under Pressure" is my fave Queen song.

I have some theories as to who added what. Damian once told me that The Zombies were the "greatest fucking band ever", and there were like 8,000 interviews where he went on about Roberta Flack. Plus we all know Andy loves Radiohead, specifically OK Computer. So here is my educated guess:

Damian
    The Zombies
    Roberta Flack
    Frank Black
    Sam Cooke

Tim
    Run DMC
    Prince
    Snoop Dogg

Andy
    Radiohead
    Spacehog
    Neutral Milk Hotel (There is nothing educated about this - I don't know the song and can't listen because I'm at work, but it was left over)

Dan
    Queen
    Ol' Dirty Bastard
    The Meters

...for the record I was TOTALLY stumped on what Dan might've added, because all I really know about Dan's musical taste is that he likes Mastodon. I think that's because of the drumming on those tracks, though. Therefore I picked two tracks with good rhythmic lines and then the epic stylings of Queen. I know that Prince is one of Damian's favorites (right? I know I read that on here once), but I went with Sam Cooke instead because of the political nature of the song. Tim's tracks I picked because he said on a few occasions that he wanted to make a "more Dancey" record. Radiohead obvs. went to Andy because he's mentioned OK Computer in a few interviews and a blog post, and Spacehog just seemed to make sense.

I would love to know how close I am.
  • Haha Rach, I love your hypothesising! The only things I had guessed was that the Zombies and Prince would be Damian (but I see your reasoning) and that he'd be the one to hog the playlist by picking an extra song tongue.gif

If the new album has this kinda feeling... it sounds like it's going to be one hell of a record. YAY!
  • I agree with all of the above comments.

Also, I re-signed-up for the newsletters like a month or so ago, and I've actually been getting them now... *iz confused*
  • Damian's been known to dance around to "Drop It Like It's Hot," though.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Nov 20 2008, 05:03 AM)
    On okgo.net, under EMAIL, enter your address into the yellow bar.

ok, i'll try that
    even though it hasn't seemed to be working recently
    thanks for the help