In this Discussion

The Newsletter

Comments

• beckysioux said:

I not only squee-ed, I ordered the poster and the USB. I am utterly pathetic. Utterly.

Now I'm trying to figure out who would be CC and who would be Hillary. Hmm, Tim as CC? Yep, that's the ticket.

I wanted to know if Tim is CC and Dan Hillary, who will be Leona? (My money's on Jorge, it being his idea and all).

• New Newsletter!  Dated July 27, 2010

First Look at New Video!

September is soooooo far away.

• Yeah but then after September is. . .October!  And we all hope for the best for October.  I think that thread needs a little bumpage soon.
  • Snack_Cakes said:

New Newsletter!  Dated July 27, 2010

First Look at New Video!

OMG an OK Go cup-stacking video? Epic!

JK, that would be a bit weird. But still cool.

• Aleatory said:
    Snack_Cakes said:

New Newsletter!  Dated July 27, 2010

First Look at New Video!

OMG an OK Go cup-stacking video? Epic!

JK, that would be a bit weird. But still cool.

Those buckets are actually from the TTSP video. At least I'm pretty sure they are, since the pic is in black and white it's hard to tell if they're orange or not.

And finally!

What is the sum of:
    11 + 12

• Arrgh! The anticipation is killing me.
  • And we have a new newsletter that is completely full of awesome. If you are not signed up to be on their mailing list, you should be. You can sign up on the main page.

March 15, 2011

In a break from our usual snarky banter, we'd like to take a moment to send our thoughts and prayers to the people of Japan. To all our Japanese friends, family, and fans, please know that we are thinking of you and we send our condolences for the losses you have suffered.

We’re Dancing Your GPS Jigs

Big thanks to everyone who submitted their OK Go / Range Rover Evoque GPS photo and video journeys. Each and every one was a joy and a treat to watch. We’ve seen you follow a pelican in London and a Chicagoan jellyfish/flower, among many other geographical and physical impossibilities. Range Rover liked them so much they got some of their other City Shapers to record their city journeys as well, and have compiled them into a document of the collective journeys which should be ready to view sometime next week. Or maybe the week after. But really soon.

Greatest Tuesday Ever

On Tuesday, April 5, we'll be releasing a new single, appropriately titled The Greatest Song I Ever Heard. The song is featured in Morgan Spurlock’s upcoming movie, Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, which will be premiering in the states on April 22. Tim and Damian make an appearance in the film as well, so be sure to camp out in front of your local cinema (maybe starting now?) to be the first in line to see it. Visit okgo.net and iTunes on April 5th to get a slice of this greatness for yourself.

Spring Break (Woot) Also, Summer

Winter is over and it's time to play some more shows! We’ll be kicking off in Denver on Thursday for some early morning St. Patrick’s Day festivities at LoDo’s Bar & Grill for their annual Kegs and Eggs festivities. Then two shows south of the border next week, in Mexico City and Guadalajara. Then back to the states and over to the UK this summer. You know the drill, round and round we go. Click on the links below for tickets, and keep an eye on our shows page as we add more dates.

March 17 – Denver, CO – LoDo’s Bar & Grill

March 25 – Mexico City, MX – Spring Quesadilla Tour

March 26 – Guadalajara, MX – Teatro Estudio Cavaret

June 23 – Washington, DC – Kennedy Center

June 29 – London, UK – KOKO

June 30 – Cornwall, UK – Eden Project

July 1 – Bristol, UK – Thekla

July 2 – Manchester, UK – Jodrell Bank

July 16 – Salcgriva, LV – Positivus Festival

July 22 – Benidorm, ES – Low Cost Festival

Live Living

Big news, ye loyal fans. A personal concert (for your ears only) is officially in the works. We made high quality multitrack recordings of every set from the Fall 2010 tour and now we're having our pick of the lot professionally mixed, mastered and compiled into Newfangled Album Form™. The release date is scheduled for this summer. Stay tuned.

OK Goods

No newsletter would be complete without us shamelessly plugging the merch that lives here. We just released a 3D Dog Gear T-shirt for you and all the 3D dogs in your life. And in preparation for St. Patrick's Day, all our green T-shirts are on sale at 20% off through this Thursday.

Happy Belarusian Constitution Day,

OK Go and Co.
  • And another newsletter has been sent: Eight, Six, Twelve, and Other Magical Numbers. Alas, there was no mention of 23.

Still getting excited about the new vid with Pilobolus. I'm also wondering which concerts they are going to include on the 180/365 15-track live album. Really, I'm crossing my fingers that they use one of the WTD on handbells where you can hear me scream "Now nobody knows". But since they had Return on handbells for the last part of the tour, something tells me that will get on instead. Well, I can always hope then the IWYSBICB they select has some Boardies screaming "Underwater!"

And don't forget, they're on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno tonight! What song will they sing, what song will they sing?
  • The Newsletter made me go c-raazy with so many news, can't wait for the video too! and the album. I don't remember if they mentioned it's going to have a physical copy (do they?). Cuz that'd be awesome. Or at least a new awesome customized flash-drive. 

Does anyone else wants The Greatest Song I Ever Heard on the setlist for the upcoming tour/shows?

.o/ I just loved how it sounded live. 

I've always rooted for Louisiana Land but I don't think that's ever gonna happen so... 
  • laeticia said:

The Newsletter made me go c-raazy with so many news, can't wait for the video too! and the album. I don't remember if they mentioned it's going to have a physical copy (do they?). Cuz that'd be awesome. Or at least a new awesome customized flash-drive. 

That's a great question. I think we'd have to ask Team Paracadute if this would be able to happen or not. I would much rather have a physical copy, but cost might negate that and it'll probably just be available here or on iTunes/Amazon.

laeticia said:

Does anyone else wants The Greatest Song I Ever Heard on the setlist for the upcoming tour/shows?

.o/ I just loved how it sounded live. 

I've always rooted for Louisiana Land but I don't think that's ever gonna happen so... 

I'm crossing my fingers that they take this on the road. It sounded like they got the audience really into it on the Tonight Show, so I'm hoping that it gives them an idea that it'd be great for the tour. I guess we won't know if this'll happen until they start their tour.

But yeah, I don't think Louisiana Land will see the light of day. It's a great song, but it's completely a b-side. Who knows, they might do a b-side tour. Now that would rock.
  • beckysioux said:

And another newsletter has been sent: Eight, Six, Twelve, and Other Magical Numbers. Alas, there was no mention of 23.

Still getting excited about the new vid with Pilobolus. I'm also wondering which concerts they are going to include on the 180/365 15-track live album. Really, I'm crossing my fingers that they use one of the WTD on handbells where you can hear me scream "Now nobody knows". But since they had Return on handbells for the last part of the tour, something tells me that will get on instead. Well, I can always hope then the IWYSBICB they select has some Boardies screaming "Underwater!"

And don't forget, they're on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno tonight! What song will they sing, what song will they sing?

This is strange, but the last two newsletters have gone to my spam folder. That's something new.

Anyway, I think that WTD would end up on the album over Return since they performed for so many more shows. 

And it would be awesome if "Now nobody knows" or "Underwater!" make it on there too. Laugh
  • beckysioux said:

That's a great question. I think we'd have to ask Team Paracadute if this would be able to happen or not. I would much rather have a physical copy, but cost might negate that and it'll probably just be available here or on iTunes/Amazon.

Yeah, life would suck if it was just on iTunes. But the flash-drive is a good option, isn't it? It's more fun for us and more money to our boys :D

I'm crossing my fingers that they take this on the road. It sounded like they got the audience really into it on the Tonight Show, so I'm hoping that it gives them an idea that it'd be great for the tour. I guess we won't know if this'll happen until they start their tour.

But yeah, I don't think Louisiana Land will see the light of day. It's a great song, but it's completely a b-side. Who knows, they might do a b-side tour. Now that would rock.

They're playing lots of festivals now, I think that song is great for that. OK Go always manages to turn songs into some kind of 'sounds-like-an-anthem' thing. If I didn't like OK Go before, with this song, at a festival, I'd be like 'HELL YEAH' to that song. I find myself just rambling 'yeah, that's the greatest song I ever heaaaaardd!' basically all the time now.

Not to mention I'm grateful to whomever decided to sell the single through here. Thank God sometimes they think of people who are not able to buy stuff through iTunes. God bless the OK Go ninjas.

• Snack_Cakes said:

And it would be awesome if "Now nobody knows" or "Underwater!" make it on there too. Laugh

I know you can hear "Underwater" on the 4/29 Williamsburg show's recording.  I wish they had been recording the show in Chicago that we all went to.
  • laeticia said:

beckysioux said:

They're playing lots of festivals now, I think that song is great for that. OK Go always manages to turn songs into some kind of 'sounds-like-an-anthem' thing. If I didn't like OK Go before, with this song, at a festival, I'd be like 'HELL YEAH' to that song. I find myself just rambling 'yeah, that's the greatest song I ever heaaaaardd!' basically all the time now.

I agree, I loved hearing it live as well. And I think it does have the effect of winning people over—at least that's what I found when I played the video of the "Tonight Show" performance for a friend.
  • DJRose said:

Snack_Cakes said:

I know you can hear "Underwater" on the 4/29 Williamsburg show's recording.  I wish they had been recording the show in Chicago that we all went to.

YES! I so wish they recorded that Chicago show, too!!!
  • It seems that the Newsletter isn't getting to everyone on the mailing list again. So, if you haven't gotten the recent newsletter that was sent out earlier today, here it is in all its glory:

1. Summer Rocking

Here at the virtual office, we get letters (and emails and tweets and Facebook messages) all pretty much asking the same question: "when is OK Go coming to play _____ again?" Our answer, generally speaking, is "we don't know, they're off in their secret bunkers working on new awesomeness and it's going to be a minute." However, should the _____ in question be "Rochester, MN," "Brooklyn, NY," "Dover, DE," or "San Francisco, CA," then we sing a different tune: they're coming in the very, very near future. Specifically, the next few weeks.

Does this contradict everything we said about the band being off the road and working on new awesomeness? Perhaps. Does this matter? Heavens, no. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S ROCK & ROLL. Should you live in or near any of the aforementioned locales, we recommend that you gas up the car, grease up your left arm with sunblock to avoid a trucker's tan, and get thee to _____. Unless you live in New York City, in which case you can just take the subway.

Upcoming OK Go Shows
    July 14th: St. John's Block Party 2012, Church of St. John, Rochester, MN
    July 19th: Pretty Good Friends with Eugene Mirman, Williamsburg Park, Brooklyn, NY
    July 20th: Firefly Music Festival, Dover, DE
    August 26th: Stern Grove Music Festival, San Francisco, CA

2. Autumn Diamonds

We couldn't be more excited to announce the September 25th release of Lavender Diamond's new album Incorruptible Heart. To continue the line of hypothetical questioning from above, "What does this have to do with me?" you may ask. And we might answer: "It's an awesome album filled with magical heartbreaking songs that might burrow their ways into the deepest caverns of your soul." To which your totally fair follow-up question would be, "Wonderful, but what does this have to do with OK Go?"

For starters, the album is being released on OK Go's very own label, Paracadute, marking our first release not featuring Tim. More, however, it was produced by Damian, who also appears on a few songs. There are other guests on the album (including M. Ward), but the real reason to get excited is because this is the first new release from Becky Stark and Lavender Diamond since 2007's Imagine Our Love, and we can honestly say that it was worth the wait. Damian spent a good part of the past year working on it, OK Go producer (and longtime Flaming Lips collaborator) Dave Fridmann mixed it, and the results... well, you'll have to wait.

OK the wait is over! You can hear the first track to be released from the album right now and you are highly encouraged to check out the band's excellent older releases, Imagine Our Love and The Cavalry of Light EP, both of which you can listen to on the newly launched Lavender Diamond website. And don’t forget to keep up (and in touch) via Lavender Diamond’s Twitter feed and Facebook page.

3. 21st Century Arts and Crafts

No more hypothetical questions, it's time for a real one. And less of a question than a declarative request, really: show us what you've got.

For the past 10 years, OK Go has found themselves at the center of an amazing community of fans and listeners, many of whom spend their days much like the band: dreaming up new kinds of awesomeness and ways to make stuff. So it's time to engage our collective group-mind for some 21st century arts and crafts projects to keep us engaged while the band is off in their bunkers (give or take the above exceptions that prove the rule).

We're plotting out various ways to get lots of you to collaborate and make stuff together like the insane hive-brain we suspect you are. If this sounds fun, please keep watching our Twitter and Facebook feeds and await further instructions. But, for starters, we really would like to see what you've got. What's your art? How does your creativity manifest itself? Do you write music yourself? Do you dance? Make movies or videos or animation? Wire up homebrew electronics? Compose epic poems? Tweet at us with an #okgosummercamp hashtag, post on our Facebook wall, or email summercamp@okgo.net.

It doesn't have to be OK Go-related. We just want to see what you're making! We'll repost some our favorites, and keep plotting ways for our hive-brain to make some collective cool stuff.  
  • Thank you for posting this, Becky!  The newsletter missed me for the first time since I've signed up, so I really appreciate you putting it here.  ;)
  • You're welcome! That's what I'm here for :D
  • Hey kids, new newsletter!

Make sure you read #3!

1. PYYRAMIDS of the East
    Friends in Various Eastern Seaboard Locales -

It is one of the most magical times of year, when the oppressive summer heat gives way to the sweet, gentle climes of early autumn and the air seems tinged with possibility. Primarily because we're not all sweating through our clothing like we're on a goddamn safari. Things just seem more meaningful, you know?

And what better way to capitalize on this meaningful, beautiful time of year than to get the heck out of the house and into to a rock and roll club, where you might have the kind of meaningful, beautiful experiences you'll be cherishing when the winter harshness comes down like some (figuratively) unchill boogeyman and you want to hole up with Netflix until the thaw?

Might we recommend you go see Tim, Drea, and PYYRAMIDS as they tour the northeast this very week with our friends--and yours--Eytan & the Embassy? (You might remember them from the great one-take video they made for "Everything Changes" a few months back.) It will be magical and beautiful, and possibly you'll be allowed to touch Tim's beard.

Tim and Drea can tell you more.

Sept 12 - DC9, Washington DC
    Sept 13 - MilkBoy, Philadelphia, PA
    Sept 14 - Cafe 939, Boston, MA
    Sept 15 - Knitting Factory, Brooklyn, NY

2. Your Incorruptible Heart
    Lavender Diamond’s new album Incorruptible Heart is so very, very close to being here--it’s out September 25th--and there are any number of listicles and handy charts and pie graphs and metrics that could be included in this newsletter to indicate precisely how excited everybody around here is about it. It is, after all, the first non-OK Go/PYYRAMIDS release by Paracadute. And Damian produced it. And we’ve been talking about it for months now. And also it’s really, really good.

The pre-order packages put together by Becky and the band are pretty special, too, and are available now. For $50, you get the album on translucent lavender vinyl, an Incorruptible Heart tote bag, and a piece of original, hand-drawn art by drummer Ron Rege Jr. (check out some of his beautiful drawings here). There’s a limit of 50 of these, so if you’d like one, we suggest prompt ordering. You can also get the limited edition lavender vinyl on its own, or acquire the music in the more traditional mp3 and compact disc formats.

3. The Great Unknown
    By this time next week, the next OK Go studio album will be officially underway. What will it sound like? What songs will be on it? What will it be called? What messages will be hidden on it when you play the LP version backwards? What will the videos look like? Which songs will become accidental hits and spawn dance crazes in distant desert nations when bazaar denizens start exchanging lo-bitrate mp3s of them on their cell phones? What’s a Thingamagoop? These are all valid questions, and we have no answers (except about Thingamagoops), but are as excited to find out as you. As always, stay tuned.

• beckysioux said

3. The Great Unknown
    By this time next week, the next OK Go studio album will be officially underway. What will it sound like? What songs will be on it? What will it be called? What messages will be hidden on it when you play the LP version backwards? What will the videos look like? Which songs will become accidental hits and spawn dance crazes in distant desert nations when bazaar denizens start exchanging lo-bitrate mp3s of them on their cell phones? What’s a Thingamagoop? These are all valid questions, and we have no answers (except about Thingamagoops), but are as excited to find out as you. As always, stay tuned.

"What messages will be hidden on it when you play the LP version backwards?"

I'm going to have to listen to OTBCOTS backwards.