In this Discussion

The Newsletter

Comments

If Alice goes to San Francisco, I will too. The mere thought sounds insane, but if my sister is back on this continent there is NO WAY I am missing out on seeing her. No Way At All.

Kalinda, that scarf is epic. I mean it.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 22 2008, 06:22 PM)

If Alice goes to San Francisco, I will too. The mere thought sounds insane, but if my sister is back on this continent there is NO WAY I am missing out on seeing her. No Way At All.

Oh, wow. That would be insanely awesome. I mean ridiculously so.
    The only reasons that I'm having reservations about coming over are:
    1) Money
    2) Distracting me from all important university work very close to end of year exams (which I have to do well in to avoid being kicked out of Cambridge)
    3) The possibility of freaking out the band by flying to the other side of the world to see them two years in a row
    4) San Francisco would not be easy to get around for someone who can't drive herself and wouldn't be particularly comfortable using public transport the whole time

Ah. But it would be so amazing. Especially seeing them with both Rachel and Kalinda (Kalinda, even if I don't come this time, it will happen some day. I promise)!!
  • QUOTE (heydoofball @ Nov 23 2008, 10:01 AM)
    QUOTE: (mixtape @ Nov 20 2008, 05:03 AM) *
    On okgo.net, under EMAIL, enter your address into the yellow bar.

ok, i'll try that
    even though it hasn't seemed to be working recently
    thanks for the help

i FINALLY (finally!!!) registered for the newletter
    sheesh, it took long enough!
    i have no idea why it took me so long...
  • For those of you that haven't received it....here's this week's Newsletter

Hey there,

It's a new year. And with it comes a new president. In celebration of the inauguration of Barack Hussein Obama Jr. to the presidency of the United States Of America, I am delighted to present you this historic video, in which a young bassist talks about meeting our new president, and the wonder and gratitude he experienced upon learning something the mainstream media doesn't want you to know: Barack Obama likes Tim's style.

It truly is an exciting day.

Tim Nordwind, Storyteller: The Day I Met Barack Obama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8ievuHvz4

Tour Dates:

The boys are still recording, but as soon as they get out of the studio they're going to hit the road. Scheduled dates are below. Get your tickets. The Brooklyn show is already sold out, and Boston is almost there.

3/6 - Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
    3/7 - Towson, MD - Recher Theatre
    3/8 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg -- SOLD OUT
    3/10 - New Haven, CT - Toad's Place
    3/11 - Northampton, MA - Pearl Street
    3/12 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
    3/13 - Portland, ME - Port City Music Hall
    3/20 - San Diego, CA - House Of Blues
    3/21 - Anaheim, CA - House Of Blues
    3/24 - Santa Cruz, CA - The Catalyst
    3/25 - San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
    3/27 - Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
    3/28 - Seattle, WA - Chop Suey

Well kids, that was short. The next newsletter will have pictures from the studio, at least one more video, and something so fantastic that even I don't know what it is. Really? Yes, Absolutely!

Your friend,

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore@okgo.net

http://okgo.net

• Shit, Boston's almost sold out?
    I need to figure out if I can make that show as well as the Noho show.
    sad.gif
    I have so many classes on Thursdays this semester.
    grrrrrr

But major kudos for Obama liking Tim's style. That's really snazzy. And Tim seems to have the whole meeting memorized smile.gif that's super cute.
    As you can see, the boys have been hard at work making their album and getting ready for their first shows of 2009. They'll be playing new songs, which Damian says sound a bit like "Purple Rain through broken speakers." As someone who's been listening through broken speakers since the great stereo-out-the-window-freakout of 2005, I've got to say: I'm excited!

In today's episode:

OK Go Shows On Sale
    OK Go Shows Up On Screen
    You Helped Al Johnson Get A House

Hear The New Songs Before Damian's Mom Does

The first OK Go shows of 2009 are all on sale. Well, except for the shows in New York and Boston, which are sold out already. Luckily for fans in those two cities, the nearest OK Go show is just a 30 minute helicopter ride away. Call your friends, find out which ones own whirlybirds and sky-caravan up to the shows in Philadelphia, New Haven, Northampton and Portland, Maine. You'll be glad you did!

The dates:

3/6 - Philadelphia, PA - Theatre of Living Arts
    3/7 - Towson, MD - Recher Theatre
    3/8 - Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg -- SOLD OUT
    3/10 - New Haven, CT - Toad's Place
    3/11 - Northampton, MA - Pearl Street
    3/12 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club -- SOLD OUT

For the west coast dates, the boys have enlisted two bands--Jaguar Love and IO Echo--to help carry the blessed rock 'n roll right to your doorstep. Thank them.

I Love You, Man

Those four little words are what Tim says to Damian every time he starts the car or gets on an airplane, you know, just in case. It's also the title of a movie the boys are in, which comes out March 20th. They make a cameo appearance as a wedding band called "Tastes Like Chicken." Terrible, huh? I guess the producers had to come up with a band name so terrible that nobody else would use it. Oooops. Watch the trailer at iloveyouman.com.

It's Decorating Time for Carnival Time

Last year, the boys put out a charity ep called "You're Not Alone" with proceeds going to benefit Al "Carnival Time" Johnson and other New Orleans musicians still struggling from the effects of Hurricane Katrina. Everything Al owned was wiped away by the flood, but he's recently moved into his new home in Musician's Village, thanks in part to sales of the EP. Here's a picture of the man and his castle . While that's pretty awesome, just as cool is that the EP is still available on iTunes with all proceeds going to Sweet Home New Orleans, an excellent non-profit. If you haven't picked it up yet, you can buy the thing here.

See you in a couple of weeks,

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

• Wow, haha, I remember hearing that they were going to be in a movie as a band called Tastes Like Chicken but I didn't remember the name of the movie. I totally saw a commercial for that movie the other day and thought, "I want to see that" haha
  • QUOTE (Rebekker @ Feb 25 2009, 10:15 PM)
    Wow, haha, I remember hearing that they were going to be in a movie as a band called Tastes Like Chicken but I didn't remember the name of the movie. I totally saw a commercial for that movie the other day and thought, "I want to see that" haha

I was just about to write the EXACT SAME THING.
  • OOOHHHH that snow picture is killing me....OUCH!!

Hey, there's the "TIM" scarf again!!
  • The Bells Toll For You

Hello to the poets and dreamers and cryptozoologists. Howdy-hey to the lovers of metal solos on double-necked guitars. High-fives to the handbell enthusiasts. Basically, what-up to every last person on this list.

Beyond the news that the band makes a cameo appearance in "I Love You, Man" which hits theaters March 20th, the most majorest thing to report is that the boys are stretching their legs on a short tour, trying out new songs to see how they feel outside the confines of the cold Fredonia barn where they were born. And in case you're wondering, the new songs feel pretty great.

Seriously. You should check them out at your earliest opportunity. Which is tomorrow evening in Portland, Maine. If you get on a plane right now, you won't miss a note.

3/12 - Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club -- SOLD OUT

What will you get in return, beyond a bunch of brand new songs, the time of your life, and a chance to get out of the house and do something--anything--for a change? Why, you'll get OK Go playing What To Do on handbells:

More proof: here's a fan flickr gallery from Sunday night's Brooklyn show.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/clme/sets/72157614935461953/

Hugs (and high-fives) all around,
    Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

• My goodness. Andy has made himself a nice investment in a double guitar (is that what it's called?). Ooooh

Thanks for posting the newsletter, Becky. I'm pretty sure my e-mail address has fallen to the floor of the Internet and swept under some proverbial piece of furniture.
  • oh yeah, the double necked guitar! it's pretty sexy. He played it during Back from Kathmandu (aka KAT). So great.
  • Hey, kids:

As the starting center fielder for the OK Go softball team, I can tell you that it's not whether you read or not read this newsletter, that's important. It's how hard I hustled to get it to you. And let me tell you, I gave this newsletter my all. And you know why? Because I've got heart. And I write the newsletter the way it was meant to be written: sitting in a hot tub while hopped up on every steroid invented or imaginable. Let's go, team!

The news:
    OK Go Will Rock Chicago
    That Anaheim Show is Friday
    Tim Nordwind, Twitterer
    How To Make An OK Go Album

Your Long Awaited Chicago Show is Going To Happen Soon

We got a lot of angry emails when OK Go announced a tour and Chicago wasn't on the list of scheduled stops, and we were getting good and ready to ignore every last one of them when we got invited to play a show at the Double Door on April 23rd. Tickets are available already. Go get 'em.

Your Long Awaited Anaheim Show Is Going To Happen Even Sooner

Remember how we had to postpone the Anaheim show a couple of weeks ago? That was sucky, huh? Well, forget it ever happened: The boys are playing the House of Blues in Anaheim this Friday. I don't know if there are tickets available, but if you're anywhere near there, you should definitely find out.

Your Long Awaited Reason To Join Twitter Happened Already: Tim is Twittering

I know what you're thinking: Why do I care? But he's actually kind of awesome at it. Just a couple of weeks ago he left two tickets under the name Twitter Goldfarb at the door of Chop Suey in Seattle, and some lovely OK Go fan picked them up. What will he do next? Probably tweet something about The Hills. Poor guy. You can see what he's up to here: http://twitter.com/timothynordwind . If you're already a Twitterer, follow @timothynordwind.

Another Video From The Band:

After the show on Friday, OK Go will head straight back to Fredonia, NY to put the finishing touches on the new album. This is what awaits them:

Hope you're all doing wonderfully,
    Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

• LOL! I just saw this on my youtube updates and wondered if anyone posted about it. haha, it was so funny. I loved Damian's sound effects. Kah-splarsh laugh.gif And then when the snow falls off the roof and Tim's like "What the fu-"
  • How refreshing. A-Ross and his People Mag. xD
  • Volunteer For Our Burrito Project & Chicago Show

The boys are playing twice in Chicago this Thursday--at 4pm at the Apple Store and that night at the Double Door --but before the shows they've teamed up with the Inspiration Corporation to try and do a little bit of good.

We're looking for 20 volunteers to meet up with OK Go on Thursday afternoon, eat lunch with the boys, and then head out with the band and volunteers from Inspiration Corporation to hand out burritos to people who are impoverished or currently homeless.

If you're interested in participating, email info@okgo.net with Burrito Project as the subject. Only do this if:

a ) You're available Thursday from noon to 3pm
    b ) You can bring 12 homemade burritos (we'll provide the recipe) to hand out (and to eat with the band)

If you have any questions, email them to info@okgo.net . Pete will get back to you soon.

The Inspiration Corporation is a pretty great organization that helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives. If you can't make it on Thursday afternoon, you should still check them out at http://www.inspirationcorp.org/

Take care,
    Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

• Just got this a few minutes ago: Anyone here going to the San Diego show?

Why, hello there.

You're probably wondering where OK Go is right now, and the truthful answer is that they're hunkered down in Fredonia, NY putting the absolute final finishing touches on their new album. It's so close, I can almost taste it. And it tastes like... music. (Fun fact: if you can taste music, you're a synesthete. And if someone points that out to you, it means they love you.)

If you'd like to hear one of the new songs and learn the new album's name, check out this interview at EW.com:
    http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/05/ok-go-skyscrape.html

Also: If you're anywhere near San Diego, California, the boys are playing a make-up show tomorrow night at the House of Blues. Here's the link. Buy yourself some tickets. House of Blues

Back soon, with more news from Fredonia, where it has stopped snowing.

Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore

• The latest newsletter can be viewed here.
  • QUOTE (beckysioux @ Feb 17 2010, 06:56 PM)
    The latest newsletter can be viewed here.

Thanks