In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• QUOTE (Marianna @ Nov 5 2006, 05:05 PM)
    I love Amelie!! And Delicatessen.

I just saw Delicatessen this weekend and it was pretty strange, but I really, really liked it. It was amazingly well-made--the cinematography and the colors and the dialogue were all perfect. The suicide attempts were genius. It's cool to see how Jeunet has progressed from that to Amelie and A Very Long Engagement. I really want to see some of his other movies now.
  • The thing i love about Jeunet is that he reuses actors. It makes me happy to see Dominique Pinon in every single film of his i've seen. i feel like i know him, lol.
  • Is it just me or does it seem like there's a whole bunch of awesome movies coming out at the same time?

Right now I need to see Happy Feet and Bobby.

Bobby more so than Happy Feet, haha. I LOVE anything to do with 1968 or the 1960s in general, so that's definitely my top priority right now.

but almost all the reviews I've been reading this week and last week have been good, and I've definitely heard Oscar buzz over a lot of the new releases, too.
  • There's going to be a live action version of "Charlotte's Web." Eeew, it looks freaky only because I HATE spiers! Julia Roberts is playing the spider.
  • Anyone else see Ice Age II: The Meltdown? haha. It was pretty funny--obviously not as fantastic as the first one, but that squirrel will never get old.

I also saw The Ghost and Mrs. Muir this week, which is a fantastic black and white film with Rex Harrison. I love classic movies sooo much.
  • The first Ice Age made me cry. Like a lot. The kids I was babysitting kept patting my back and saying "It's okaaay!"
    Bobby more so than Happy Feet, haha. I LOVE anything to do with 1968 or the 1960s in general, so that's definitely my top priority right now.

i'm a sucker for 1968/1960s movies as well. have you seen The Dreamers? Some people find it off putting because of the nudity and sex but it's actually really really cool. takes place in France 1968.
  • I watched the original version of the Omen yesterday... hehe they were showing it on the history netowork...

it was tres creepy...
    haha i laughed pretty much everytime they said Damian was the child of the devil... rolleyes.gif

i cant believe ive never seen it before.

oh yeah, i saw home alone also, what a classic. ohmy.gif
  • i love the original omen so much. i like the music in it. it's one of my favorite movies, not really sure why. but it (and the rest of the series) is one of the movies i like to cuddle up under my blankets and watch when i'm sick. *shrugs*

i saw stranger than fiction last week. it's pretty good. as long as you don't go in thinking of the normal will ferrell boisterous (sp?) yelling and all that jazz. i mean, it's still funny, just not like elf and stuff.
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Nov 26 2006, 10:26 PM)
    i'm a sucker for 1968/1960s movies as well. have you seen The Dreamers? Some people find it off putting because of the nudity and sex but it's actually really really cool. takes place in France 1968.

no, I haven't... but now I want to, haha. I'll have to go searching some time.

yeah, anything to do with 1968 wins me over in a heartbeat. I can't wait till we get to study them in history this year.
    (my brother got to take a whole AP course on 1968 his senior year- they went through it basically day by day!
    I'm so jealous now, but thats what he gets for going to a fancy private school while I stayed in the public school system... oh well.)
  • QUOTE (Jellobomb @ Nov 27 2006, 03:26 AM)

Is that the one that got a lot of coverage simply because of the tub scene? I've been meaning to see it for a while.

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but has anyone seen Shortbus? It's apparently fantastic though it recieved a lot of criticism due to the fact that the actors are actually having sex during the movie (as in, it's not simulated).

I think it's out of theatres now, but I'm planning on renting it. It's directed by the same man who directed Hedwig and the Angry Inch, I believe.

Thoughts?
  • saw borat yesterday.

Awesome.
    Is that the one that got a lot of coverage simply because of the tub scene? I've been meaning to see it for a while.

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but has anyone seen Shortbus? It's apparently fantastic though it recieved a lot of criticism due to the fact that the actors are actually having sex during the movie (as in, it's not simulated).

I think it's out of theatres now, but I'm planning on renting it. It's directed by the same man who directed Hedwig and the Angry Inch, I believe.

Thoughts?

I don't know if it recieved a lot of coverage for the tub scene, i mena in comparison to the rest of the movie, i didn't find the tub scene that strange. I think just the fact that it's a Bernardo Bertolucci film in general is why it received attention.

yeah i saw the trailer for Shortbus when i went to see A Scanner Darkly.It seems funny, like there would be some really interesting stuff in there. but it would be really weird to watch that in theaters, i don't know, i'm strange.
  • Ok, so I've never seen any of the X-men movies, but the X-2 one is on tv right now. Tis quite a strange movie. Any thoughts about it?
  • I kinda heart it. the best part is Nightcrawler. when he dissapears and just smoke is left... thats a rad image.

the third one is very wierd... i don't heart it.
  • I like it so far too. The special affects are awesome and the teenagers driving w/ Wolverine make me giggle.
  • hahahha wolverine makes me giggle.

the fact that Hugh Jackman plays flamboyent men in musicals and the thought of him as a hardass mutant amuses me to no end

• QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Feb 5 2007, 02:11 AM)
    Ok, so I've never seen any of the X-men movies, but the X-2 one is on tv right now. Tis quite a strange movie. Any thoughts about it?

Oh, on fox. well, its gonna be on (here in l.a.) in an hour. i like it. but it doesn't have a very attractive cast sad.gif.
  • QUOTE (Vinca15 @ Feb 4 2007, 09:23 PM)
    but it doesn't have a very attractive cast sad.gif.

SEE ABOVE PICTURE!

aka... you are wrong...
  • ^^^ hmmm... idk, i dont really like him.