In this Discussion

Few Great OKGO articles

Comments

• Bakersfieldfan - I certainly never tire of reading OK Go articles!

Here's a contribution. Sorry if someone else already posted this and I didn't see it:

Dig For Fire: A Pixies Tribute

Scottish post-rockers and Zidane soundtrackers Mogwai will cover Pixies' "Gouge Away" on an upcoming tribute to the band, set for November 13th release on American Laundromat Records. The label's site confirms that They Might Be Giants, OK Go, J Mascis, John P. Strohm, The Rosebuds, and Joy Zipper are also on board for the covers album. More details to come, though the Mogwai and Mascis inclusion already rates this better than that Sgt. Peppers Lonely "All-Star" jam. We'll get ya a listen ASAP.
  • QUOTE (Kareh @ Apr 12 2007, 08:25 AM)
    Every band let it all hang out, including OK GO bassist Tim Nordwind, who did a striptease backstage that was broadcast on the big screen - loved the cape and the gold underpants.

WHAT!??

I second this blink.gif
  • Someone on the JC was at the Edmonton concert and posted about Tim's striptease (that was weird to write)!

http://jugglingclub.okgo.net/jugglingclub/...pic&t=11197

The only question I have is: Where's the video?!?! laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (Angel @ Apr 12 2007, 03:09 AM)

WHAT!??

I second this blink.gif

I third it ohmy.gif
  • QUOTE (dietpepsidrunk @ Apr 12 2007, 04:51 AM)
    Someone on the JC was at the Edmonton concert and posted about Tim's striptease (that was weird to write)!

http://jugglingclub.okgo.net/jugglingclub/...pic&t=11197

The only question I have is: Where's the video?!?! laugh.gif

ihave7stars and Sherilock Holmes- We need you! wink.gif

Edit: Ok, I found a video on YouTube. man Tim is a Sexy Beast
  • QUOTE (Kareh @ Apr 12 2007, 12:25 AM)
    Hmm, I can't find any OK Go news on this page. Could you clue me in?
    From that article:

WHAT!??

If you read the article it says that OKGO is going to be part of the tribute album to the Pixies which is what you posted about right after this post so IM not sure if you found it there or somewhere else. (ONE MORE DAY TILL OKGO! Praying for great weather!!!!!!!! )
  • I remember some other thread about this Pixies tribute. I'll see if I can find it....... cool.gif

Edit: Here it is!
    http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?...amp;#entry94879
  • QUOTE (ytel82 @ Apr 12 2007, 02:47 PM)

Oh dear God. I am positively WEAK with laughter.

They are so ready to be done with this tour. laugh.gif laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (ytel82 @ Apr 12 2007, 06:47 PM)

laugh.gif
    I've watched that video abot 4 times now rolleyes.gif
  • I didn't see an existing thread for the MSU Mankato, MN show. This is less of a show review and more of a story on how MSU lost funding for events such as these. At least go see the 2 pictures of OK Go and Damian.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/local/loca...=secondarystory
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Apr 30 2007, 05:16 AM)
    I didn't see an existing thread for the MSU Mankato, MN show. This is less of a show review and more of a story on how MSU lost funding for events such as these. At least go see the 2 pictures of OK Go and Damian.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/local/loca...=secondarystory

Hmmm... that's the second article where a $30,000 budget is mentioned (the other being about Pepperdine). Is that the full budget for the opening acts, venue costs, etc.? If so, how much of that does OK Go see? So now I'm wondering if that's common for them or if they just extend a courtesy to universities. If it's the former, then that is just wrong! Especially considering I just read last week about Jennifer Lopez* (I think it was her) getting paid $2 million by some Russian millionaire to perform a few songs at some private event. What is going on in the world today?

P.S. That could explain why these guys have to tour so much.

P.P.S. I'm finished with my rant now...

*Edit: It's her. I just double-checked it at bestweekever.tv. Her fee averages out to approximately $50,000 per minute!
  • I've heard about these budget problems too! OK Go is getting ripped off I tell ya! J-Lo needs to spread the love wink.gif
  • Wall Street Journal techie article

Mems also are being used in more-exotic specialty products. Roger Smith, a former Analog engineer, started Source Audio LLC, in Woburn, Mass., to make a $400 device called Hot Hand that a guitarist can wear on his finger like a large ring. Using mems to sense hand motions, the wireless device can control distortion and other sound effects by hand motion instead of stationary floor-pedals. Among early users are guitarists Rusty Ross and Damian Kulash of the band OK Go, which won YouTube's 2006 music-video award.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ May 11 2007, 04:59 AM)
    Wall Street Journal techie article

Mems also are being used in more-exotic specialty products. Roger Smith, a former Analog engineer, started Source Audio LLC, in Woburn, Mass., to make a $400 device called Hot Hand that a guitarist can wear on his finger like a large ring. Using mems to sense hand motions, the wireless device can control distortion and other sound effects by hand motion instead of stationary floor-pedals. Among early users are guitarists Rusty Ross and Damian Kulash of the band OK Go, which won YouTube's 2006 music-video award.

It's because they're the awesomest!
  • QUOTE (sherib @ May 11 2007, 04:59 AM)
    Wall Street Journal techie article

Sorry I started this topic on another thread last night here It was late and I didnt feel like looking for this thread lol.
  • This is kinda old, so you may have already seen it, but I hadn't before. It's the same old questions, but I like Damian's answer to "the best sound in the entire world" biggrin.gif
    Tah dah!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 25 2007, 05:56 AM)
    This is kinda old, so you may have already seen it, but I hadn't before. It's the same old questions, but I like Damian's answer to "the best sound in the entire world" biggrin.gif
    Tah dah!

That Best Sound question had me giggling. biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 25 2007, 05:56 AM)
    This is kinda old, so you may have already seen it, but I hadn't before. It's the same old questions, but I like Damian's answer to "the best sound in the entire world" biggrin.gif
    Tah dah!

Haha. Best sound. Actually I really hate that THX sound. It really creeps me out, I'm not kidding. Oh and the other part...umm yeah...haha.
  • http://www.boingboing.net:80/2007/06/20/dr...i_music_ou.html

Wednesday, June 20, 2007
    DRM-free EMI music outselling lockware

The Inquirer reports that in the short time since EMI went DRM-free with its music, its sales have skyrocketed:
    Since EMI ditched the DRM on iTunes it has seen sales of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon increase by between 272 and 350 percent...
    According to Bloomberg, digital sales for other DRM free music increased by between 17 to 24 per cent. OK Go's Oh No increased 77 per cent. Coldplay's A Rush Of Blood To The Head jumped 115 per cent.

Also here:
    http://consumerist.com/consumer/consumptio...razy-270700.php
    And someone left a nice comment on OK Go/Oh No.

http://blogs.reuters.com/2007/06/20/ok-go-mcclatchy/
    [includes a pic from VMAs performance]

OK Go, McClatchy
    June 20th, 2007, filed by Robert MacMillan

McClatchy Chief Executive Gary Pruitt has a habit of backing up his presentations to the financial community with music, whether it be Aaron Copland’s Rodeo, Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World” or something by the New Radicals or Jimmy Eat World. The music plays over photos taken by photographers who work for McClatchy’s newspapers, Pruitt told us.

For Wednesday’s presentation to the Wall Street crowd at the Mid-Year Media Review in New York, the selection is “Here It Goes Again,” the song that the band OK Go made an instant hit with its video of the members running around on choreographed treadmills.

So why that song? Could it be the lyrics? Pruitt says no:

“I’m counting on people not being able to understand the lyrics. It’s more of just a spirit of the song as opposed to the words of the song because the words are not really relevant.”

Really?

Just when you think you’re in control,
    just when you think you’ve got a hold,
    just when you get on a roll,
    here it goes, here it goes, here it goes again.

Now you know where financial analysts crib their investor notes to describe the newspaper business.