In this Discussion

Conversation about movies

Comments

• QUOTE (Kikky @ May 24 2007, 02:50 PM)
    I think that Pirates 3 is going to absolutely piss off all the William Turner lovers. Anyone who loves Orlando Bloom should probably not see this flick, as they may need grief counseling. The Harry Potter Hotline should also extend to PotC3, hahah.

Other than that, it was fairly good.

Keith Richards as Jack Sparrow's dad was amazing, to say the least.

Be sure to stick around after the credits, as always there's a short cut scene. And this one is pretty dang surprising.

Nooo!!!! I just came home from PotC and I loved every second! I'm a total Will/Elizabeth shipper! Will is lovely lovely lovely and the end was great. I loved the short cookie scene at the end of the credits too. My one complaint is that I really did feel the length.
  • I saw Pirates 3 last night.

Effing incredible. The best of the three, in my opinion. 10/10. So good. The only thing that annoyed me was that Calypso girl (Learn to speak properly!), and the fact that Will Turner was still in it. Ever since the second film I've hated his guts. And I still do.
  • I saw Spiderman 3 on Thursday and Zodiac yesterday.

I actually really enjoyed Spiderman. It wasn't exactly a "good" movie but as far as entertainment goes it was brilliant. I saw it with my movie buddy and we were crying with laughter at some parts.... which i'm sure you can guess if you've seen it. Then afterwards we went walking through the shopping centre just like the crazy Peter Parker did, winking at people and doing the 'wiggles gun finger roll'. We are so cool and totally sane.

Zodiac was nuts!
    For anyone who has seen it just imagine what the experience was like for us...

You're watching the basement scene and this creepy old man just walks into the cinema. You're in the back row and as he walks behind you he's scraping something metal along the railing, then, of all places in the empty cinema, he sits in your row!!!

This actually happened and we were soo scared!!! I was with three other girls and all of us were crying and hugging each other cause we thought we were gonna die hehe. He didn't, obviously, he just walked out again after a couple of minutes but geez! i am just not cut out for scary movies.

I reckon in any other movie it wouldn't affect you, but in this one it was intense, especially in that scene.
  • The basement scene in Zodiac was the scariest thing ever! I could actually feel my heart pumping in my throat, and a girl a few seats away from Paul and I was covering her face in her hands, she was so scared!
  • okaaay pirates 3......
    i was disappointed!
    first of all, people who make almost three hour movies need to learn from brown people and have a freakin INTERMISSION!!! i want my samosas damnit! hahaha jk jk but seriously i cannot sit still for that long okay, and some parts were way dragged out.

and then, i am definitely a will turner fan! and so i was just like uhh WTFBBQ?!?
    oh, and the movie was so freakin confusing too! this is pirates, not the bloody matrix or something!
    i don't know, when i walked out of there, i was not very pleased.
    and ending with the whole jack going wheres my ship crap was stupid too and totally unnecessary they should've left that out.
    blah whatever the first one is still the best!
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ May 31 2007, 12:40 AM)
    uhh WTFBBQ?!?

you just fucking made my night... smile.gif

but yeah. i was less than impressed with the third... liked it better than the second, but will not stand up to the first. thats all i gotta say. calypso was SO hard to understand it like, almost took away from the story... fdklajfs;d
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ May 26 2007, 11:04 AM)
    The basement scene in Zodiac was the scariest thing ever! I could actually feel my heart pumping in my throat, and a girl a few seats away from Paul and I was covering her face in her hands, she was so scared!

YES! that scene was really bad in a good way (... or is it good in a bad way??) SCARY!
    Looking back the whole experience was pretty funny but we definately weren't laughing when the first building we saw coming out from the cinema was the Zodiac Hotel. for real
  • I've been to the cinema the past 4 Fridays in a row, so I've seen some new movies

Spiderman 3 > It was ok, nothing special. The CGI was amazing though. But they mucked up the storyline. In the original Spiderman, he met that Gwen girlie (at least I think that's her name ... the blonde one) and got with her before he got with MJ

28 Weeks Later > Loved it. End of

Zodiac > Good, but way too long. My butt ached so much

Pirates 3 > I didn't like the first or second one, so there wasn't much point of me seeing this. It was way too farfetched, what with the up is down thing and the king of the pirates. It was so bad. But the cinematography in the bit with the crabs, that was astounding! And the monkey made me lol.

And I'm hopefully seeing Paradie Lost tomorrow night biggrin.gif
  • With regards to Pirates 3:

WHATTHEFUCKDOTHEYTHINKTHEYAREDOING????

Jack Sparrow is beautiful
    I am going to steal that monkey.

That is all.
  • I'm currectly watching American Splendor and it's pretty amazing (plus I love Paul Giamatti for unknown reasons AND! the movie discusses R. Crumb with whom I have some weird fascination
    )

I watched A Very Long Engagement... finally. (The first time I left the theatre because I was terrified by everyone blowing holes through their hands). It was exactly what I wanted it to be (even if the ending felt random and a little anticlimatic for the 2 plus hour beautiful epic it was). I love Jean Pierre Jeunet and the movie is definitely best watched with a significant other, laying around with nothing to do (French movies also make my boyfriend romantic, so I need to invest in some more old French movies... next? Jeaunet's Delicatessen).

It was no Amelie, but it definitely had its moments of absolute beauty
  • QUOTE (geezabird @ May 31 2007, 05:37 AM)
    28 Weeks Later > Loved it. End of

i havent seen it...but... no cillian? sad.gif

QUOTE (tonetoile @ May 31 2007, 08:08 AM)
    I'm currectly watching American Splendor and it's pretty amazing (plus I love Paul Giamatti for unknown reasons AND! the movie discusses R. Crumb with whom I have some weird fascination

awwww!!!
    paul giamatti always makes me wanna "aaaawwww!"
    ... for unknown reasons as well ph34r.gif wub.gif
  • last movie i saw was The Time of The Wolf(2003), it's a french film, and if anyone has seen Ma Mere it's kind of like that but without you know, the gratuitous sex. it was really silent and felt incomplete but i couldn't really think of another way the director could have ended it, idk. it was good though, i liked it.

it was about a family trying to survive in a post apocalypic France. it's an independent film so it's done in the same fashion as say 28 days later rather than like, what i think when i hear post-apocalypic which is like Tom Cruise jumping over buildings and expensive explosion scenes. it's mostly about people, and the way they intereact with each other in a situation like that. it's Ondemand free movies if anyone has that and is interested.
  • QUOTE (Felster @ May 31 2007, 03:40 PM)
    i havent seen it...but... no cillian? sad.gif

Unfortunatly not. There are no characters from the original in the sequel. Gotta say, that was a bit of a bummer!

And I saw Magicians last night. It was incredible! Jessica Stevenson was in it, oh my life I love her! It was a lot darker than I thought it was going to be, what with that beginning (people who have seen it will know what I mean). And there was a lot less obvious funny bits compared to Peep Show, it was more subtle in places. Sure, there were some obvious bits though!
  • i finally saw pirates 3. the only reason it was better than the second was geoffrey rush. he's always been the best at making pirate sounds --> "aaaarhh!"
  • QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Jun 4 2007, 03:36 AM)
    i finally saw pirates 3. the only reason it was better than the second was geoffrey rush. he's always been the best at making pirate sounds --> "aaaarhh!"

couldn't have said it better myself... i always love jack/johnny depp, but geoffrey rush was truly amazing. but other than that... i was NOT impressed. this one actually made me dislike kiera knightly quite a bit... but i loved the first one, and didn't care for the 2nd one at all...

i just saw mr. brooks. WHAT THE FUCK!! that movie is bizarre beyond reason and whoever came up with the idea is truly fucked in the head... i'm glad i got drunk after i saw it b/c i wouldn't have been able to sleep otherwise... i do love me some kev costner though.
  • I'm one of those film-school types who's always going to the revival house, the university film archive, or the art house. As a result, I have two kinds of films: the stuff I love that's a little obscure, and the stuffI love that others might also love.

Last thing I saw in the theatres that I loved: Killer of Sheep. This melancholy little film looks at a few days in the life of a man and his family as they eke out an existence in post-riot Watts in the 1970s. This just got officially released after years of obscurity (due to music rights issues), and if this seems like the kind of thing you'd like, you should really go see it. You can check out a trailer at www.killerofsheep.com.

Last thing I saw in the theatres that you might like: Waitress. Sweet comedy about an unhappily married waitress at a pie diner who gets pregnant and falls in love with her doctor. Loved the heightened sense of reality, the performances, and the ending. (Tragically, the director Adrienne Shelly died under horrible circumstances before she could see the success of her film. Even more reason to see this endearing film.)

Last thing I rented that I loved: The Nomi Song, a documentary about a futuristic gay German opera singer who becomes a hit on the New York punk scene in the 1970s, only to become one of the first celebrities to succumb to AIDS. You may know him from his appearance on SNL with David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4CJgygSRSU...ted&search= Very imaginative and engaging documentary about an amazing talent who died too soon. (This went really well with the episode of The Muppet Show with special guests Mummenchanz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_JMiFms-A)

Last thing I remted that you might also like: The Prestige. Victorian music hall magicians. Dual personalities. Revenge pacts. Tesla coils. All that and an awesome cast: Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and David Bowie. How can you not love this movie?
  • I'm one of those film-school types who's always going to the revival house, the university film archive, or the art house. As a result, I have two kinds of films: the stuff I love that's a little obscure, and the stuffI love that others might also love.

Last thing I saw in the theatres that I loved: Killer of Sheep. This melancholy little film looks at a few days in the life of a man and his family as they eke out an existence in post-riot Watts in the 1970s. This just got officially released after years of obscurity (due to music rights issues), and if this seems like the kind of thing you'd like, you should really go see it. You can check out a trailer at www.killerofsheep.com.

Last thing I saw in the theatres that you might like: Waitress. Sweet comedy about an unhappily married waitress at a pie diner who gets pregnant and falls in love with her doctor. Loved the heightened sense of reality, the performances, and the ending. (Tragically, the director Adrienne Shelly died under horrible circumstances before she could see the success of her film. Even more reason to see this endearing film.)

Last thing I rented that I loved: The Nomi Song, a documentary about a futuristic gay German opera singer who becomes a hit on the New York punk scene in the 1970s, only to become one of the first celebrities to succumb to AIDS. You may know him from his appearance on SNL with David Bowie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4CJgygSRSU...ted&search= Very imaginative and engaging documentary about an amazing talent who died too soon. (This went really well with the episode of The Muppet Show with special guests Mummenchanz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD_JMiFms-A)

Last thing I remted that you might also like: The Prestige. Victorian music hall magicians. Dual personalities. Revenge pacts. Tesla coils. All that and an awesome cast: Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and David Bowie. How can you not love this movie?
  • QUOTE (Stany @ Jun 9 2007, 09:15 PM)

Waitress was SUPER good. However, I felt the ending was a bit rushed. She created these beautiful charactersand the end kind of fell flat. Her death is extremely tragic; she was incredibly talented.
  • I took my little sister to Shrek The Third today.

9/10. Damn good movie.

Oh and I watched Grease for the first time in about five years again today, and I still know all the lyrics!

10/10. Grease is awesome.
    Oh and I watched Grease for the first time in about five years again today, and I still know all the lyrics!

10/10. Grease is awesome.

I love Grease. I used to be obsessed with that movie back in the day haha. Actually my school did it for our spring musical this year. It really sucked to be honest. Oh well, I still love it.