In this Discussion

OK Go Love List

Comments

• I'm not so into #341, but I'm sure #342 is… yes. However, I love:

#343 The rhythm section on "Skyscrapers", particularly the bass line.

In fact, #344 the entire instrumental arrangement sounds like what coming over a bridge into a big city looks like from the back seat of a big car, and I love that.

• Well, YEAH, live is better. But I was only posting one love thingy.

345. Dan's last name. Just say it a few times: Konopka. Konopka. Konopka. That's a wonderful sounding mix of syllables, there!

I'm not being all fangirl, here. (snerk) It's just that it's is right up there with pamplemoose as far as cool sounding words go.

• 346. Damian to Becky as he is teaching her to play Last Leaf with bar chords: "No, it says no now but that's because you're not working hard enough." And Hannah melts.
  • ChristelAdina said:

I'm not so into #341, but I'm sure #342 is… yes. However, I love:

In fact, #344 the entire instrumental arrangement sounds like what coming over a bridge into a big city looks like from the back seat of a big car, and I love that.

sooooooooo true. I am in love with the bass line and the entire instrumental. So mellow.

• bullshituous said:
    ChristelAdina said:

I'm not so into #341, but I'm sure #342 is… yes. However, I love:

sooooooooo true. I am in love with the bass line and the entire instrumental. So mellow.

I think it's deadly, sexy and irresistible. Plus, because of what the combination sounds like to me, it actually excites me on that level too. It reminds me of the sounds of tires going over various surfaces, particularly the sound of a car transitioning from one sort of pavement to another and then the sound of the grating on a bridge…or maybe the window is cracked a bit and the wind sounds change as you hit the expanse above the water and you're looking at the high-rises on the other side.  Or when the "car" passes certain features, and–later in the song– winds its way through all sorts of architecture, the depth of the different sounds in the song describe those details to me.

I can't drive. Can you tell? I love to travel. However, I'm lately not able to do it and it distresses me. I love large cities and the sense of excitement in approaching them. I love all of the emotions that go with seeing a skyline coming up, whether it is one that evokes regret or rejoicing for something that happened there before, or one that elicits the thrill of expectation that comes with the unknown possibilities awaiting me. Musically, "Skyscrapers" reproduces this rush for me.

It turns me on.

#345 The way the songs on OTBCOTS induce emotional reactions that are often entirely independent of the thoughts and images expressed in the lyrics.

• ChristelAdina said:

I think it's deadly, sexy and irresistible. Plus, because of what the combination sounds like to me, it actually excites me on that level too. It reminds me of the sounds of tires going over various surfaces, particularly the sound of a car transitioning from one sort of pavement to another and then the sound of the grating on a bridge…or maybe the window is cracked a bit and the wind sounds change as you hit the expanse above the water and you're looking at the high-rises on the other side.  Or when the "car" passes certain features, and–later in the song– winds its way through all sorts of architecture, the depth of the different sounds in the song describe those details to me.

It turns me on.

I had to turn my iPod on to listen to the song just to read your comments. Very, very interesting and fitting :)
    ChristelAdina said:

#343 The rhythm section on "Skyscrapers", particularly the bass line.

Hellz to the yes. Skyscrapers is such a deep, epic song. As a bassist too, I love the bass line with a passion, it melts together with the rhythm of the drums and is nearly indistinguishable from the kick drum. Beautiful.

#346 The way the entirety of OTBCOTS melts together into this one crazy journey across every emotion you can possibly think of.

EDIT: Oh god, what have I done?

• Oh look, now we have a new phenomenon on the boards. Inverse Quote Boxes. Nice edit comment though!

#347 The way OKGo songs can cause people to describe things so beautifully. The way images like bass lines melting into kick drums are conjured.

• I'm baffled by quote boxes…. X(

Suddenly a picture of Tim trapped inside a kick drum popped into my head ;-)

#348 The way we can imagine the guys in ridiculous situations and they still seem to make absolute, perfect sense.

• Seems the numbers went a bit askew, so I shall get them back in order with my latest love:

350. Tim's Ethel Merman impersonation.

• Aleatory said:
    violetchaos364 said:

#341. Damian's wails in "Skyscrapers."

#342. Those same chilling wails LIVE. When you can SEE HIM MAKE THEM. Yes.

YES!

And although Becky linked this under the Orlando show, I'm posting it again. Because it's completely relevant and I LOVE IT!

• A couple of things struck me last night while I was tabbing out Skyscrapers last night (such a nerd).

#351 The fact that they use completely weird meters in their songs and it sounds so awesome (5/8 for WTF?, 3/4-3/4-4/4 for Let It Rain, and some strange combo of 6/8 and 4/4 for Bruise Grey :) )

And I know Amber mentioned this under the GP thread, but i thought it fit here...

#352 How boardies can have a deep, intellectual conversation on one thread and talk about Damian's ass all day on another.

• Aleatory said:

A couple of things struck me last night while I was tabbing out Skyscrapers last night (such a nerd).

#351 The fact that they use completely weird meters in their songs and it sounds so awesome (5/8 for WTF?, 3/4-3/4-4/4 for Let It Rain, and some strange combo of 6/8 and 4/4 for Bruise Grey :) )

Re:#351- It was all the time they spent in Chicago. Wink (My friends and I have several inside jokes about certain Chicago bands, one of which is different ways to allude to the seeming fondness for odd time signatures… "arabesque" and "hieroglyphic" are two of my faves).

#353 The way OKGo, and the community of fans they've helped create, can become a habit. A good, positive habit, but a habit nonetheless (I have to go to the hospital this afternoon, and still, I had to check in here first Embarassed).

• The 'chicago' time sigs make me feel funny, like my heart flutters a little bit when I hear Let it Rain even though it's not one of my fave songs, and I have to count in my head every time it plays. It's so damn cool :)

• Aleatory said:

A couple of things struck me last night while I was tabbing out Skyscrapers last night (such a nerd).

The fact that they use completely weird meters in their songs and it sounds so awesome (5/8 for WTF?, 3/4-3/4-4/4 for Let It Rain, and some strange combo of 6/8 and 4/4 for Bruise Grey :) )

Since taking on the task of transcribing the bass part of Skyscrapers, I have started to notice the same thing about OK Go's music. It's part of why listening to them is so enjoyable. You're never given a chance to get bored with what is going on in the song.

354. Their music moves me to want to play it not just listen to it.

• Sunnyside said:

I'm going to take guitar lessons after I pay off a car!  Let's be in a band together!  hahaha.  We'll be the GO Oks <3

EDIT:  If you ever saw that interview about what the most embarassing thing Damian's ever said, then no, not "Gooks" but "GO OKs"

• Aleatory said:

#352 How boardies can have a deep, intellectual conversation on one thread and talk about Damian's ass all day on another.

I'm risking the quote enigma.

A tag line for the show "The Big Bang Theory" is "Smart is the New Sexy."

Smart has always been sexy - for example, our boys.

And their fangirls are smart. And sexy. =D

So, this isn't quite a number, as I'm going off this point (that went off another point), so I'll call this one #352-a. Laugh

• Snack_Cakes said:
    Aleatory said:
    violetchaos364 said:

#341. Damian's wails in "Skyscrapers."

#342. Those same chilling wails LIVE. When you can SEE HIM MAKE THEM. Yes.

YES!

And although Becky linked this under the Orlando show, I'm posting it again. Because it's completely relevant and I LOVE IT!

I believe examples of the Love Points are completely appropriate here!

• Snack_Cakes said:

YES!

My fave part of this vid is aross drinking his "root beer".

355. Being able to take the shows home with us via USBs. Even though they joke on stage that they're such huge rockstars you might miss something, you find that when you listen to the USB you actually did miss something.

• samanferr! said:
    Sunnyside said:

I'm going to take guitar lessons after I pay off a car!  Let's be in a band together!  hahaha.  We'll be the GO Oks <3

Haha, an OK Go cover band...

That would be awesomesocks (see what I did there?) but as evidenced by my TTSP cover, I am my own band :) Sadly, most of my covers right now are in the "OK Go tour" stage- partially done, but nowhere near finished. Meh.

• When I waited to meet OK Go, Damian said "Hello, all you crazy people" like he could not believe that we would be willing to wait in the cold for them.