In this Discussion

10 Things about you...

Comments

• QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Mar 19 2010, 07:57 AM)
    about time this was re-bumped

Good call, Pandy!

Most of what I said above still applies, except the Tim-the-mighty-fishie has since passed away, and is now of blessed memory. sad.gif

• I'm bored and have the whole day to waste on the Internet, so here it goes:

1. I'm Samantha, but I prefer Sam. Sami is okay too. I like to spell it that way.
    2. A few months ago I applied to some speech pathology graduate programs and I'm waiting for hear back from them. The clock is ticking and I'm getting nervous.
    3. I don't bite my nails, but I bite my cuticles, which is even more disgusting.
    4. Tom Waits is my hero.
    5. I briefly attempted to play the drums in high school. I was in the pipes and drums marching band for the St. Patty's day parade in NYC in my senior year. I have since given it up because I am not that good and I have no where to put the kit.
    6. When I was growing up, my favorite movie EVER was Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey. Isn't that strange?
    7. I have a bad impulse to chop away at my hair sometimes. I always cut it myself and hate it for a few weeks, then it grow in a little and I like it. I am currently at the stage where I hate it. These stupid bangs!
    8. I love horror movies and stand up comedy.
    9. I never match my socks. Ever.
    10. I love cooking and can make a meannnnn chicken cutlet in garlic sauce.
  • 1. My name is Jade

2. I love to snowboard, but i havent been in a while because the place where i go to...well basically there's a person who works there who pervs on my friend O.o so naturally me and my friends dont like him.

3. I'd love to become a marine biologist when i grow up

4. Futurama and Mythbusters are some of my favourite shows on telly

5. I have a mentalist dog and a hamster

6. I sadly have not attended a single gig...HOWEVER! i plan to go to the OK Go gig on July 25th with a good friend

7. I'm trying to teach myself to play the guitar in hopes to become as good as rusticles Laugh

8. I love to make baked goods

9. my cousin has five cats in her apartment

10. I spend way too much time on the computer when I'm supposed to be revising (like right now)

• 1. I am a wife and mother.

2. My favorite shirt is 14 years old. It's a Bazz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet t-shirt.

3. I have been able to do most everything I've tried fairly well. The exceptions so far: knitting, frying foods, driving stick shift, not yelling, and playing the flute.

4. Even so, I find it difficult to recognize and appreciate my own talents and skills.

5. God is tops in my life.

6. I hope to be able to recognize opportunity and have the courage to seize it.

7. I have panic attacks sometimes.

8. I have watched "The Man on the Radio in the Red Shoes" three times and cried like a baby every time.

9. I have a younger brother.

10. Once a lady lost her keys where I was working. I asked her what her key chain looked like. She said it was "enterprise". So, I spent about six minutes looking for a Starship Enterprise keychain until I realized she probably meant Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Yeah, I'm a geek like that.

• I find the image of you yelling to be a difficult one to believe, Hannah!  Also, Starship Enterprise FTW!  I totally would've done the exact same.
  • 1. I live in Canberra (which is the capital of Australia, not Sydney, like a lot of people think).

2. My screenname comes from the last name of one of my Sims 2 characters.

3. I'm in the process of knitting a maroon 'Ron Weasley sweater' for my 16 year old sister. (My nickname for her is Ron)

4. I play many instruments, including the trombone. (I was rediculously excited when the You're Not Alone EP came out)

5. I've always wanted to learn how to play the piano accordian

6. I don't cry very often (I've never cried in a movie), but I did cry when I figured out that I couldn't see OK Go when they came to Australia this year Cry

7. I drink rediculous amounts of tea

8. I own four pairs of Doc Martens boots

9. For my 12th birthday, my dad bought me the complete series of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I still haven't finished watching it.

10. I like to wait until TV series come out on DVD so I can have a marathon with my sisters.

• 1. Once I just HAD to buy a box set of Dorothy Sayers paperbacks that I already own because I just couldn’t leave that set, all alone, unloved, in the used book store. I gave that set to the person who got me started on Dorothy Sayers in the first place.

2. I wanted to be a special effects make up person when I was younger.

3. I love funky colorful socks.

4. My favorite toy as a child was a little figure of Jerry the Mouse (of Tom and Jerry). I still have it.

5. One of the Facebook Flair buttons I made has 32,000 plus users. I said the sentence on it to a friend and thought it would make a good flair.

6. One of the million reasons I want to go to the UK is to hug a young Scottish YouTuber named Liam.

7. My favorite joke:
    What is black and white and red all over and does not fit through a revolving door?
    A nun with a spear through her head.

8. I sleep with a plush purple moose from Alaska named Moosie and a plush purple bear named V.B. (for Valentine Bear).

9. On my first NaNoWriMo last year I got to 12,000 words.

10. I saw "Fiddler on the Roof" with Topol in Chicago on his farewell tour.

• I'm going to do this as an introduction... or sorts.

1. I love my first name, Kamilla.

2. I lived in Edinburgh, Scotland for six months and it continues to be my favorite place on earth.

3. The Beatles are my favorite band and I've studied them for the past 10+ years of my life.  My Sr. Honor's thesis was on the Beatles.

4. My first crush was on Data, from Star Trek: TNG.

5. I work at a local venue and I'm responsible for booking bands.

6. Rugby is another passion.  I support Ireland and the Lions.

7. I count stairs.

8. Andy is my favorite member of OK Go.

9. My hobby is video editing.  It was my field of study, but it's a difficult profession to find a job in, so I just do it for fun now.

10. I can't spell.

• violetchaos364 said:

1. Once I just HAD to buy a box set of Dorothy Sayers paperbacks that I already own because I just couldn’t leave that set, all alone, unloved, in the used book store. I gave that set to the person who got me started on Dorothy Sayers in the first place.

I understand that. I have copy after copy of the same books because I'll find them in a used book store and think they need to come home to a place where they will be loved. :)

• OneCheekyHobbit said:

4. My first crush was on Data, from Star Trek: TNG.

O:

He was one of my first crushes, too. :P

Welcome!

• Thanks Nova.
  • I haven't done this yet, because every time I read them, I think "Damn. Now I have to think of something different."

Nice list OneCheekyHobbit. I have SO MANY things in common with you (though Data was actually my sister's first crush! Hehehe), in fact, it seems like the Boardies here have a LOT more in common than just OK Go.

• Welcome! We do seem to have a lot in common. My first crush wasn't Data, though. It was Elliot from E.T. quickly replaced by Luke Skywalker. I started crushing at a very early age and will probably never grow out of it.
  •  it seems like the Boardies here have a LOT more in common than just OK Go.

Well, I hope this is taken in the spirit it's intended, but OK Go is a dorky band.  That's half the reason why I love them so much... and they attract geek fans. ;)  Which if we're honest are the best and most loyal fans you can have. 

• You're not wrong, dear Cheeky Hobbit. Also, geek fans ARE the best fans – loyal and protective. =D  Creative geeks! Did you know that Andy is a programmer?

Good used bookstores are like crack to me. Maybe heroin.

Oh, and MacGyver for first crush. Oh, and Pippin's my fave hobbit.

• violetchaos364 said:

You're not wrong, dear Cheeky Hobbit. Also, geek fans ARE the best fans – loyal and protective. =D  Creative geeks! Did you know that Andy is a programmer?

Good used bookstores are like crack to me. Maybe heroin.

Oh, and MacGyver for first crush. Oh, and Pippin's my fave hobbit.

See? Synchronicities!

The one good thing about being in Oregon, in my opinion, is that it's MUCH easier to attempt one of my lifelong geek goals from here, which is to actually live in Powells Bookstore (the Burnside location, preferably). So far, I have always been asked to leave at closing, but I can hope…

Pippin is my favourite (both in books and films) too, although when I began reading LOTR in first grade I was quite attached to Sam. I was touched by his loyalty and unwavering friendship, which are traits I both admire and aspire to.

And that is directly related to the geeks being the best fans. Other bands I love don't seem to truly grasp this fact. But the great thing about OK Go is that, not only do the guys get the geek fans and understand what it's like being a geek and a fan, but that they actively encourage it. Makes for a pretty special–and loyal–fanbase (and that's something I used to try and impart to bands I've worked with, because you wouldn't believe how some of them treat their most loyal fans!).

Blah, blah, blah… sorry, I've been editing all day and I needed a release. Because I'm prattling on in this thread, I guess I'll have to write my 10 things next. I will as soon as I finish editing this last article (and the geek in me, the one who doubles as a word nerd, wants so badly to share the absurdity of what one piece I had today originally said, but the editor in me insists on professionalism. Which is a lot like loyalty, so I will remain mum and return  later).

• So Comcast went out all over my area last night, right in the middle of editing someone's article (which means I never had an offline copy, so I lost all my work). It didn't come back until this morning, but while I was on hold before speaking to one of the most patronising service reps I've ever had the displeasure to speak to, I had plenty of time to compose a truly epic 10 things. Apologies in advance. I was bored, sleep-deprived and caffeinated (late-night editing sessions require Editorial Strength coffee!).

1) My name is Christel Adina.

2) My first crush may have been Keith Richards. Or Buck Owens from Hee Haw. Later I became more sensible in deciding where to place my affections, falling in love with Mikhail Baryshnikov, Kermit the Frog, Paul McCartney, Spiderman, Carlos Santana and Tom Baker (my first Doctor!), in pretty much that order. Then I started school.

3) In grade school, a group of girls insisted I looked more like a Stephanie, and tried their best to make it stick. If you're wondering, I look nothing like a Stephanie.

4) In middle school, in Michigan, I was shoved down some stairs and later put in a locker by some very mean girls while I was on my way to get my class schedule (new kid). Apparently, I responded inappropriately when they cornered me. The head girl told me that their favourite band was Journey, and asked what music I liked. Always glad to share musical passions, I rather foolishly said, "I like The Beatles, The Stones, Prince, Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Adam Ant, Duran Duran, The Police, Billy Idol and Stray Cats." I was about to add, "and lots more, especially rockabilly and surf music" but I was interrupted by my failure to defy gravity. When they accosted me the next time, near the lockers, they made it clear that my answer should have been "I think Steve Perry is hot!" Wendy, the girl who came to my rescue by threatening each and every one of the bullies with the heel of the spiked shoes she'd stolen from her mother that morning, was nearly three years older than me and invited me to sleep-over at her house, where we bonded over thousands (I'm not exaggerating) of Smash Hits and Bop! pin-up posters, mostly the same 10 or so photos of Adam Ant.

5) I hate Journey.

6) I have been declared dead (time was called) at least 12 times. Once was when I had what they assume was TSS after a surgery on my hamstrings when I was 13. Since that time, I cannot play music anymore (not even basic melodies on a keyboard unless I do it several hours a day, every day. If I miss a day, I have to start all over), I cannot sing well (the prolonged fever fried my larynx, I'm told) and I no longer have a grasp of anything involving higher mathmatical concepts (just can't retain them enough to formulate or apply them).

7) I once got grounded (that time for, I think, taking the sleeves off a sweatshirt and making a glittery, graffitied, muscle-shirt as a prototype for one of my ideas about concert/artist clothing lines. My mother is of the sort who grounds you from everything for the most minor offense, and then gets pissed off hours or days later if you're not still crying, hurting, apologizing and penitent. I, on the other hand, am of the sort who gets upset for a while and then–in the absence of TV, music, phone, friends, school projects that aren't strictly academic (like drama performances or choir practice), dinner, access to the rest-of-the-house, etc.–does something else. Such as drawing a Prince-themed mural on my bedroom wall in Crayola marker! Obviously, I was grounded a lot. I was grounded a lot that day ! Laugh She made me scrub for 6 hours, all the while shrieking, "You did this on purpose!" ("Um, yeah…duh."), and "What are you, three? Marker doesn't come out! We RENT!" (Actually, marker does come out, after several hours of adolescent elbow grease is applied, of course. Sadly, it never occured to Mom that it was artistic expression and not a personal attack on her, or that when we moved, I'd paint over it anyway …).

8.) I have a degree in Magazine Journalism with a focus in Public Relations and Entertainment/Media writing. Apparently, this means nothing at the moment. Perhaps it never has. I was a much better writer before being "trained." My new business-model ideas for the next steps in the world of PR were too "out there" in the last decade, and I could never quite secure enough grant funding to prove them on my own. Now, they are being implemented by other people faster than I can catch up to the technology. I need more forward-thinking concepts. Like using Time Travel as a branding tool. Wink Before I acquiesed to J-school–in high school, for a couple years after, then on and off as my health and finances allowed–I was in the world's weirdest "Broadcast" degree programs (I wanted to be a sound engineer, and the only way to take audio production and engineering and recording courses where I lived involved enrolling in the Community College's Radio and Television Broadcasting sequences. Before that I studied what was then known as, simply, "Video Production" I remember very little of that one now (we made some very silly shorts and I had a news segment with alien puppets, but a lot of the technical info is gone), partially because of the issues in #6 and partially because it was in the early '80s (I should have been tested out of school because there weren't resources for me, but instead, I was sent to summer TAG camp at the University. That was cool though, playing chess and building RGMs and experimenting with mobius strips in additon to, often instead of, Calculus lessons is a great way to spend a summer break!).

9) I am overly wordy in every possible sense. Obviously. It comes from several obsessions coalescing. Allieration being one. Hamlet is another. I like the way a perfectly composed sentence can sound like a symphony if spoken aloud in just the right way. I think I unconsciously chase that meeting of music and message each time I open my mouth. And my mouth is almost always open! I am probably the worst interviewer in the world precisely because I'm actually interested. If I'm interested in what someone is saying to me, I have to join in and then I cannot shut up. It's not that I'm a bad listener, quite the contrary, in fact. I listen. And then I reply at lightening speed. I may be the most excitable "professional" in my field, which can be taken wrong. But it's because I am so honestly intrigued and usually invested in the art and the artist, that even calm I come over a chatty Cathy. Part of this can also be attributed to my possession of the elusive, little-known "Groupie Gene", but it's not helped much by my motor mouth. Or flying fingers. Sorry.

10) Upon first discovering OK Go, around the time of the first release (Support College Radio! Woohoo!), I solemnly forbade myself to become smitten. I said, "You must not love this band!" See, I knew instantly that these guys spelled more than "OK" and "Go" for a person like me. I knew I'd be powerless against people like Tim and Damian if I let them into my daily life, so I didn't let myself fall. I only listened to the songs and threw myself into other artists (which, incidentally, is one sure way a girl can end up alone in a dinky, isolated, desert hotel just off the Sandia reservation in New Mexico, with no ATM within wheeling distance and no money for the cash-only cabs to take her back to the airport. <— Yet another reason Albuquerque is only good for left turns.). Then, in 2005, I almost succumbed again. I mean, power chords, close harmonies and melodic bass lines, PLUS a guy named Damian (backstory withheld for personal reasons), singing a rhetorical retort to "Sympathy for the Devil? C'mon, give a girl a chance, will ya?? But I resisted for the most part. I discovered Okkervil River, and later moved to Austin (believe it or not, those two things were unrelated, at least initially) to drown in that drama for a while. And then about six months ago, I'm trapped back in Oregon and a friend, knowing my desperate emotional state at that time, my addiction to certain musical elements and our shared love of marching band helmets forwarded me the first This Too Shall Pass video. GAH! Still, I tried to be stoic. I'm stubborn, sure, but I swear I was thinking only of self-preservation. Then I heard the rest of the album. Direct hit, captain. Shields down. I was weakening for real this time, you know. And with the release of the RGM version, I had to admit I'd never really been able to deny OK Go at all. Years later, I finally came to terms with the truth that I have known in my heart from the very start:

Resistance is Futile.

• 1 I love OK Go.

2 I have 19 friends on Facebook, but I have started 300+ comment discussions about Nannerpuss (from the Denny's commercial).

3 I play guitar, and have been trying to figure out the solo from "Hello, My Treacherous Friends" (PINK version, not the new not-as-good version) for months now.

4 I'm 14 years old.

5 I play baseball.

6 I can not sing well, but I give it my best and sometimes get lucky.

7 I use the word "psychodonkeykong."

8 ...and "listwatching"...and "bonkalist."  Often.

9 I am semi-fluent in HTML.

10 I like pie and pi.
  • First off let me say that I LOVE this thread!  I think it would be cool if some of our old hats (you know who you are) could come back here and give us an update. Some of the posts are bound to be out of date by now.

Please note that this list is not arranged in order of importance.

1. I am a gamer girl.  I play role-playing game and computer games and hang out in game stores.

2. I try hard not to be, but I am opinionated and loud.

3. I never shut up.

4. I love talking to and meeting new people.

5. I am creative and crafty and when I am not at some game store I am often at a craft store.

6. I love all kinds of music, but OK Go is my first real passion.

7. I am trying to get my psychology and education degrees so I can teach high school psychology.

8. I have never started so many sentences with "I" in a row in my life and it is starting to make me a bit uncomfortable.  :)

9. One of my favorite things in the world to do is listen to music (90% OK Go, but some other indie stuff) and play Bejeweled 2.

10. I also love hanging out with my husband (he is my best friend) and watching him play video games.  Video games as a spectator sport, how nerdy is that?
  • Oooh, exciting.  :D  There are going to be some similarities to yours on here, Becki…  Your list makes me suspect we have a bit in common.  But, on with it!

1.  I'm a Halloween fanatic.  I make homemade decorations (and buy them) and haunt my yard every year.  This year, I recruited help from my husband and mother-in-law and ran a couple of carnival games where kids could win extra candy and toys when they came trick or treating at our house.

2.  I'm going back to college in January for Psychology, with intent to become a therapist.  I'm really, really excited about this.

3.  I'm a gamer geek.  I played World of Warcraft for years (only recently quit), and have a soft spot for tabletop D&D and Vampire: the Masquerade.  I still have a functional NES, and consider the trouble of getting the games to work to be half the fun of whipping that out.

4.  I love poetry, particularly e.e. cummings, T.S. Eliot, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Sylvia Plath, and Anne Sexton.

5.  The worst thing I have ever drank/eaten is hands down Jones Soda Ham flavored soda.  One holiday season, I gathered a group of my friends around and we cracked open a case of holiday sodas and all forced ourselves to have a tiny portion of each flavor.  Ham was a nightmare.  Now every time someone mentions ham, I feel sick to my stomach and can taste that soda again, as vividly as if I am drinking it.  Never, EVER drink this soda.  I warn you.

6.  I'm a horrible night owl, frequently staying awake until 5 or 6 in the morning.  I've always been an insomniac, and I never feel rested in the early morning, no matter how early I manage to make myself go to bed.  I've found that the only way to achieve peaceful sleep is to kill time until my body is too exhausted to wake me multiple times in the night or force me to spend hours lying frustrated in bed, unable to shut my mind off.  This is not always ideal and I'm sure I'm only making things worse on myself by catering to it, but I do it, anyway, because I truthfully also enjoy the quiet time that everyone else uses to sleep.

7.  I've spent years working in retail, most notably in video rental and/or entertainment stores (Hastings, Hollywood Video).  I have some amazing stories from these years, such as the man whose car engine spontaneously burst into flames in the parking lot and who subsequently chewed out one of the store managers for using a fire extinguisher on it to put it out (because, he said, it ruined the engine…?  reeeeally?), or the family that came in wanting to rent the new Vin Diesel film Man Parts or the Viggo Mortenson flick Higgadiggalo, or the woman who called looking for "the monkey song" ("You know, the 'monkey song,' where the guy screams 'Oooooh ahahahah!' " ).

8.  I'm a very quiet, polite person, and have an extremely hard time raising my voice even when I'm desperately trying to do so…  But I have a mouth like a sailor, and tend to cycle through periods where I pair the same dirty word with everything I'm saying, basically conjugating the two words into one.  I'm great at censoring myself in situations where using those words are inappropriate, though, so I'll leave the current favorite to the imagination.  For some reason, it's an easy switch to flip.

9.  If the mention of loving Halloween didn't already tip you off, I also really dig horror movies.  I'll watch any horror film once (but not necessarily twice), and enjoy the old Universal Studios and Hammer films as much as I like flashy new films with big special effects budgets.  However, though I own a copy of it and have tried to watch it at least five times, I absolutely cannot make it through a screening of Plan 9 From Outer Space without falling fast asleep.

10.  Though I rip everything to my computer and burn spare copies for listening in my car, I still buy all of my music on CD.  I think it's something about having the physical disc with the packaging, the artwork, etc.  All of my CDs also stay organized alphabetically by band and then within the band's section classified by the order in which the albums were released (including the singles, if I have them).  I always keep all of the silly insert advertisements that come inside the packages, too, which is something that not even I can come up with a good reason for continuing to do.

…Wow, it was really hard to come up with ten things.