In this Discussion

Random Stuff

Comments

• Inspiration is a bitch. I have no ideas for this damn costume project and it's due Thursday but I have to do it tonight if I want to do a decent job. No way I'm doing it after the show tomorrow. Unless the guys wanna' help me or something...
  • Remember when you guys were talking about how people seem more into the Franz set than Death Cab's? It was totally the opposite at the Toronto show, apparently. Franz got a pretty baaad write-up.
  • I would of been into both! Both awesome bands... I wish I got tickets to that show.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Apr 25 2006, 05:49 PM)
    Remember when you guys were talking about how people seem more into the Franz set than Death Cab's? It was totally the opposite at the Toronto show, apparently. Franz got a pretty baaad write-up.

Somebody over at the Franz boards made a post about the Toronto show being "very frustrating," but I didn't read it. I suppose I'll have to do that now.
  • Here's the review, if you want..

It's hard to pin down exactly what made Monday night's Franz Ferdinand/Death Cab For Cutie show a disaster. Was it the abysmal sound at the Ricoh Coliseum? Maybe the annoying fire alarm that kept going off during Death Cab's set? Or it could have been the unlikely pairing of a young new wave rock band with a sensitive Seattle five-piece. Actually, it was all of the above and more.

Franz kicked off their set at 8 p.m. The Ricoh was already filled with cell phone-toting teens and a lot of Mischa Barton lookalikes. It's likely the same crowd saw Franz at the Ricoh back in October, which could be one reason why the screams were subdued. Or maybe Franz's bland, predictable set — which was almost unchanged from the last time they played Toronto — put the crowd to sleep.

Compared to Death Cab's six-disc oeuvre, Franz could only draw from two records, which is all the more reason the band should think about messing with arrangements or, at the very least, putting on some sort of stage show. The band covered all their hits, including "Walk Away," "Do You Want To" "Dark Of The Matinee," "Michael" and the ubiquitous "Take Me Out," but even an audience-pleasing and technically sound performance wasn't enough to make the Scottish foursome stand out. They ought to play a smaller venue next time. To make matters worse, the Ricoh's awful acoustics muddled every lyric and comment, although that came in handy when lead singer Alex Kapranos introduced his bandmates with a rambling and cheesy speech.

Death Cab's performance was far more entertaining. It was clear from the opening notes of Transatlantacism's slow piano number, "Passenger Seat," who most of the crowd came to see. Shrieks filled the Ricoh, while mid-twenties indie boys and 16-year-old Seth Cohen fans nodded along in approval.

Somehow, Ben Gibbard and crew managed to sound crisp. The lyrics came through loud and clear. By the second song, Plans' "Different Names For The Same Thing," the audience clapped along and it finally seemed OK to justify spending $55 on a ticket.

But you can never underestimate the Ricoh's ability to destroy a great show. During Death Cab's fifth song, the uber-popular "Title And Registration," a loud, off-key fire alarm started blaring. At first it was hard to determine if the sound was part of the song, but when Gibbard shouted, "The whole time I was thinking, what the fuck is that sound?" you knew something wasn't right.

Although Gibbard laughed through the entire next number, the band soldiered on. So did the fire alarm. Through the next four songs, the alarm kept up a steady beat and distracted Death Cab and their fans. The upside of this mishap was that it provided plenty of hilarious moments. At one point, Gibbard chastised the Toronto fire department's slow response time, and after another song he asked, "Does Rush have to deal with this?"

It's at this point that Franz could have really learned something from Death Cab. Despite the sound problems and Gibbard's clear frustration, the group held it together. They utilized every inch of the stage by running around, switching instruments and churning out a slew of solid songs. Death Cab recaptured the audience's attention by the time the alarm stopped and the rest of the night went off without a hitch.

It's easy to blame a venue for a night of crappy sounding music, but in this case it's completely valid. As the crowd filed out of the Ricoh, several people were heard trashing the arena, saying they'd never see another show there again. And it's too bad that's what a lot of people took away from the gig because, even with Franz's performance flaws, the Franz/Death Cab double bill was one of the more memorable shows that Toronto's seen in a long time.
  • I'm in such a bad mood right now, I could almost put snakes on a plane! mad.gif
  • DON'T FOR THE LOVE OF JACKSON!
  • Lolololol!!! You guys always know how to cheer me up! tongue.gif
  • lol no prob!

.... randomer:
    Kiss me now that I'm older
    I won't try to control you
    Friday nights have been lonely
    Take it slow but don't warn me
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Apr 25 2006, 06:00 PM)
    Kiss me now that I'm older
    I won't try to control you
    Friday nights have been lonely
    Take it slow but don't warn me

Ooo, where did you get that from?
  • I wish I could say I wrote it... but
    its "12:51" by the strokes
  • A Strokes song.

Bleh, I was beaten.
  • I was cooled out that you could remember!

I suck with remembering lyrics.
  • I must listen to their music if you two like them.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Apr 25 2006, 06:36 PM)
    Here's the review, if you want..
    It's hard to pin down exactly what made Monday night's Franz Ferdinand/Death Cab For Cutie show a disaster. Was it the abysmal sound at the Ricoh Coliseum? Maybe the annoying fire alarm that kept going off during Death Cab's set? Or it could have been the unlikely pairing of a young new wave rock band with a sensitive Seattle five-piece. Actually, it was all of the above and more.

Franz kicked off their set at 8 p.m. The Ricoh was already filled with cell phone-toting teens and a lot of Mischa Barton lookalikes. It's likely the same crowd saw Franz at the Ricoh back in October, which could be one reason why the screams were subdued. Or maybe Franz's bland, predictable set — which was almost unchanged from the last time they played Toronto — put the crowd to sleep.

Compared to Death Cab's six-disc oeuvre, Franz could only draw from two records, which is all the more reason the band should think about messing with arrangements or, at the very least, putting on some sort of stage show. The band covered all their hits, including "Walk Away," "Do You Want To" "Dark Of The Matinee," "Michael" and the ubiquitous "Take Me Out," but even an audience-pleasing and technically sound performance wasn't enough to make the Scottish foursome stand out. They ought to play a smaller venue next time. To make matters worse, the Ricoh's awful acoustics muddled every lyric and comment, although that came in handy when lead singer Alex Kapranos introduced his bandmates with a rambling and cheesy speech.

Death Cab's performance was far more entertaining. It was clear from the opening notes of Transatlantacism's slow piano number, "Passenger Seat," who most of the crowd came to see. Shrieks filled the Ricoh, while mid-twenties indie boys and 16-year-old Seth Cohen fans nodded along in approval.

Somehow, Ben Gibbard and crew managed to sound crisp. The lyrics came through loud and clear. By the second song, Plans' "Different Names For The Same Thing," the audience clapped along and it finally seemed OK to justify spending $55 on a ticket.

But you can never underestimate the Ricoh's ability to destroy a great show. During Death Cab's fifth song, the uber-popular "Title And Registration," a loud, off-key fire alarm started blaring. At first it was hard to determine if the sound was part of the song, but when Gibbard shouted, "The whole time I was thinking, what the fuck is that sound?" you knew something wasn't right.

Although Gibbard laughed through the entire next number, the band soldiered on. So did the fire alarm. Through the next four songs, the alarm kept up a steady beat and distracted Death Cab and their fans. The upside of this mishap was that it provided plenty of hilarious moments. At one point, Gibbard chastised the Toronto fire department's slow response time, and after another song he asked, "Does Rush have to deal with this?"

It's at this point that Franz could have really learned something from Death Cab. Despite the sound problems and Gibbard's clear frustration, the group held it together. They utilized every inch of the stage by running around, switching instruments and churning out a slew of solid songs. Death Cab recaptured the audience's attention by the time the alarm stopped and the rest of the night went off without a hitch.

It's easy to blame a venue for a night of crappy sounding music, but in this case it's completely valid. As the crowd filed out of the Ricoh, several people were heard trashing the arena, saying they'd never see another show there again. And it's too bad that's what a lot of people took away from the gig because, even with Franz's performance flaws, the Franz/Death Cab double bill was one of the more memorable shows that Toronto's seen in a long time.

1) This reviewer goes from blaming Franz for their bad show to blaming the venue back to blaming them and blaming the venue again. I was confused as to what s/he was trying to get at.
    2) If Franz sucked so much, why was it one of the more memorable shows? Again, not so sure as to what this person's getting at.
    3) When I saw Franz, they used the whole stage, too. They just have a very different style of performance, that's all. (Funnily enough, I was comparing how Alex uses the stage to how Damian uses it the whole time I was watching Franz.... blink.gif It was interesting to think about, though.) And when I saw DCFC, Ben wasn't exactly jumping all over the stage either.
    4) Also, from what I could tell, Death Cab played a lot of songs from just two albums, Plans and Transatlanticism, as well. Don't knock on Franz just because they haven't released as many albums.
    5) That fire alarm thing sounds hilarious.
    6) This reviewer also used the word u t i l i z e. Ergo, s/he is dumb and officious and his/her opinion of Franz does not count.

*nods*
  • Hasenpfeffer

(I'm feeling particurally random. Listening to Spelling Bee isn't helping much.)
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Apr 25 2006, 09:05 PM)
    I must listen to their music if you two like them.

I'm totally seeing them live in..a bunch of days.
  • ahh im single once again and ive found some eyecandy ^^
  • Tonetoile I just watched a load of those Ask a Ninja Videos! HAHAHAHA! they are so hilarious!